Third Generation Frequently Asked Questions
Information contained in this tech FAQ has been snagged from many different sources including e-mails on the F-Body Mailing List. So if you have a question which is not answered in the FAQ, please DO NOT send it to the FAQ keeper. Instead, post your message to our Message Board and ask your question to a whole group of people who collectively should be able to give you the answers you’re looking for.
- Q: What does "RS" stand for?
- Q: What does GTA stand for?
- Q: What’s included in the B4C police package?
- Q: What’s included in the 1LE Performance package?
- Q: What is a MR MSE Trans Am?
- Q: What is a Macho T/A?
- Q: What is a "notchback" Trans Am?
- Q: What are the Camaro TPI Prom Identification Numbers?
- Q: What are the Firebird TPI Prom Identification Numbers?
- Q: Can I swap a Buick 3.8L Turbocharged engine into my F-body?
- Q: What will effect will installing a 160 degree thermostat have on my TPI engine?
- Q: Are the Accel, Edelbrock and TPIS TPI intake base the same?
- Q: What are the different runner lenghts and port diameters for the different aftermarket TPI runners and bases?
- Q: What can be done to free up air flow in the TPI plenums?
- Q: Can I install the L69 dual snorkle intake on my LG4 engine?
- Q: What tools make an easy job of changing the spark plugs?
- Q: Do any performance chips allow me to moderate the amount of power?
- Q: How hot does my thermostat run?
- Q: When do the primary and secondary fans kick in?
- Q: Can the fans be rigged to come on while the engine is not running?
- Q: Why can’t I seem to get a proper timing reading?
- Q: How can I bypass the speed limiter?
- Q: I’m trying to change my fuel filter but I can’t find the fuel pump fuse.
- Q: What is the difference between TPI, SFI, MPFI, TBI, and CPI injection?
- Q: What is needed to convert my engine to TPI fuel injection?
- Q: What fuel pressure setting will give me the best performance?
- Q: How do I correctly set the fuel pressure on my new adjustable fuel pressure regulator?
- Q: What is the difference between ‘Open Loop’ and ‘Closed Loop’?
- Q: Why is my car getting harder to start day by day?
- Q: Should I use self-aligning or non-self-aligning rockers?
- Q: Which cars came with a stock dual exhaust system?
- Q: Does my car have an engine oil cooler?
- Q: Is there anything I can do to improve my 4 cylinder engine?
- Q: Is there anything I can do to improve my 6 cylinder engine?
- Q: Does it pay to swap my 4 or 6 cylinder engine for an 8 cylinder?
- Q: How do you swap a Manual Tranny Into an Auto Tranny F-Body?
- Q: What RPO code was the Aluminum drive shaft?
- Q: Will an aluminum shaft from a 5spd car fit an auto and vice versa?
- Q: Will an aluminum shaft help my performance?
- Q: How to I calibrate my speedometer for new rear-end gears?
- Q: I want to buy speedometer drive/driven gears, what are the part numbers and combinations?
- Q: What’s that buzzing/grinding noise at low RPMs?
- Q: Why won’t my automatic tranny shift into overdrive at wide open throttle?
- Q: Can I replace my 700R4 automatic tranny with a later model?
- Q: What’s the best way to install a Hurst shifter?
- Q: How do I upgrade to a quick ratio steering box like those in IROCs and GTAs?
- Q: How can I tell if I have a bad idler arm?
- Q: How easy it to change my front struts?
- Q: What are the factory front end alignment specs?
- Q: What are some suggested front end alignment specs?
- Q: What are the offsets for the front and rear 16 inch wheels?
- Q: Will 4th generation wheels fit on my 3rd generation car?
- Q: Why does my power steering pump tend to whine/hiss?
- Q: Do my rear disc brakes need to be adjusted?
- Q: Can you swap the iron drums for aluminum?
- Q: What’s with the extra wipe after turning off the wipers?
- Q: Why does the paint on my car seem to fade/crack/peel so easily?
- Q: What is the purpose of the "fuel filler neck" recall?
- Q: How can I prevent the wind from coming in around the door window?
- Q: Will a CD radio work with my steering wheel controls?
- Q: Why does my speedometer tend to bounce up and down by a couple MPH?
- Q: How come air will only come out of my defroster vents?
- Q: Why does my rear defroster come on when I hit the brake pedal?
- Q: What is the purpose of the "seat belt" recall?