Aftermarket Product Review Provide questions and answers about aftermarket parts for the Third Generation F-Body.

GT Auto's Notchback

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2001, 01:38 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GT Auto's Notchback

Attached is a copy of an email I sent to George. Maybe he will see the light and modify his notchback to resemble the Factory One.

"Please reconsider altering the notchback to look like the Factory One. The
Factory notchback accents the body lines of the "C" pillar. Those extensions
you put on make the body lines of the car look like it still has the glass hatch.

I would buy one if it wasn't for those extensions. here is the look I think
many other people besides myself want. I guess I could cut those off myself
and and smooth it out with some bondo but that is extra work."

I sent him a rear shot of an '88 GTA with the Factory Notchback (I always loved that look)

Anyone know a source for a original looking Notchback.

[This message has been edited by FRMULA (edited November 15, 2001).]
Old 11-15-2001, 07:36 PM
Banned

c'mom some else must be looking for the notchback...
Old 11-15-2001, 07:48 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 2007 Saturn Sky Redline
Engine: 2.0 turbo
Transmission: m5
Axle/Gears: 3.91 LSD
Heck I'd just like to see a pic of a notchback...
Old 11-15-2001, 09:44 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1986 pontiac TA
Engine: 360 HSR
Transmission: 700r4 3300 yank converter
Axle/Gears: 3.27 9 bolt
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Inwo:
Heck I'd just like to see a pic of a notchback...</font>
go to www.geocities.com/gtautoacc/dirks.html
Old 11-15-2001, 11:14 PM
Supreme Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Car: 89 TTA
Engine: Turbo 3.8
Transmission: 200R4
Please, don't do anything to your notchback. It's awesome the way it is. Much better than the original IMHO. I love the fact that it keeps the lines of the hatchback. If you want to do anything at all to your notchback, just figure out how to make the back glass removable.
Old 11-16-2001, 07:25 AM
Banned

What's the sence of having a notchback that looks like the glass hatch... pretty stupid if you ask me.
Old 11-16-2001, 03:25 PM
Supreme Member

It's a custom notchback and it's aftermarket, not made to look like the original. Original notchbacks were cool. I think GT Auto's piece just looks better. If you'd like to have the original notchback, you'd probably have to find one in a junkyard or online. I'm not sure if you can get them from GM anymore, but I doubt it. But you might want to take a look at what your asking him (George) to do. Alter his notchback? Even if he modifies the existing one he has and doesn't start from scratch, it's still going to take a lot of work. And if your asking him to change the design for just you, well, you already know that's bad business, lol. Try getting everyone you can to read this and email him if you're really interested in getting the old style notchback. I think it would be awesome if he offered them both, but just to change his design . . . "pretty stupid if you ask me."
Old 11-16-2001, 09:44 PM

Ive had a chance to see both a real noch back and the gtauto one and I think the gtauto looks alot better then the origanal I didnt like the origanal at all but I do like the gtauto style I also think teir style made the blind spot smaller.

------------------
87gta 355 fastburn heads,slp headers,flowmaster exhaust, LT4 hot cam and a lot more
Old 11-17-2001, 04:21 AM

Frmula , as a matter of taste i am with you!
That is my personal opinion!I wonder why some people in here always burn other people for there opinion? THIS IS AMERICA AND NOT KABUL FOLKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
We got in touch with George too, cause a member of our club lives kind of near to him!
Style is taste and everyone has his OWN!
Talking about owning a NOTCHBACK:
I have the only known Notchback in Europe!
I love the looks,it was a present to the daughter of a netherland flower KING to her 18th birthday! 245 V8 Horses were too much for this girly so it fell into my hands after some talkin! The car was imported and i have piles of records of the car pretty rear with 625 made!
Blind spot, ouch !
Those of you with a 92 Z28 know it´s tough but looking in the rear mirror of a notchback is a view like sittin in a tank!

The seam in the middle of the hatch is the only thing i kind of dislike !
Is it a crime to aseked a company to make the original style? NO!
I would go further and say : after not getting any parts or the hatch at GM anymore
there need to be a place to get the GM style!

And yes there is room for a superlite one for racers who don´t need the "underbody" which is "heavy"!
Call this the lift of version or whatever!
Back to the topic all members are called to choose a style and mayby if the sec fraction like me and frmula getts bigger GT AUTO will make a sec style( the GM Style)!
He will change it if he makes money , meaning people call and order the GM Style!
THIS IS AMERICA!
Our club section Germany,Berlin has 2 GM Style ORDERS if there is one made!

------------------
www.camaro-firebird.de
Old 11-17-2001, 05:01 AM
Jza

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, my understanding is that the notchback got it's name from the fact that if you look at the side of the car, it looks like a notch is taken out of the car. GTAuto's piece doesn't look like that, so probably shouldn't be called a "notchback". A "fastback", "sportback", or some other nomer would probably be more accurate and would please everyone. I don't think GTAuto should modify that piece, but perhaps should offer a seperate version of you're looking for instead. Both versions look great to me...
Old 11-17-2001, 06:53 PM
Supreme Member

I'm with Jza on this one. Call GT Auto's a fastback, and let him create a real notchback.
Old 11-19-2001, 06:54 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 94 Z28
Engine: LT1 w/ headers, catback, CAI, tune
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.23s
Maybe I'm crazy but I don't care for the factory notch at all. GTAuto's looks way nicer, and it's all in the sail pannels or whatever they're called. Car just doesn't look right without the original lines... I'm sure they won't change it, but maybe they'll offer the factory style in the future for those that like it. The current one certainly classifies as a notchback though, seeing as how it has a bigass NOTCH where the glass would normally be on a stock hatch, lol...

------------------
Ray87Z
-Vortec headed 350.
86 IROC w/ a cammed 305 TPI.
Formerly Ray86IROC.
www.inter-scape.com/Ray
Old 11-19-2001, 08:56 AM
Banned

Actually how would a roll cage work in a notchback? The back bars that go to rear subframe whould have some serious bends to tuck them under the "trunk".

Competition Engineering makes a 8 and 10 point cage for 3rd gens. I am wondering if they took into account the notchback models.

My idea is to lighten up the car to take about a .5 second out of my 1/4 mi et. I really like Hawks' RAM AIR hood. http://www.hawksthirdgenparts.com/fiberglass.html

That really looks tough and will knock a few pounds off the front end.

The notchback would take few more #s off too. yeah I could to a lexan hatch but then the car doesn't look "stock" anymore.
Old 11-24-2001, 10:46 PM

I really hate the looks of the GTAuto design. The factory notchback looks really good. It's nice on the firebird because it balances out the long hood. I don't know that I like the factory notchback any better than the hatchback, but it's an alternative that is certainly no worse.
Old 11-25-2001, 08:54 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1986 pontiac TA
Engine: 360 HSR
Transmission: 700r4 3300 yank converter
Axle/Gears: 3.27 9 bolt
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by FRMULA:
Actually how would a roll cage work in a notchback? The back bars that go to rear subframe whould have some serious bends to tuck them under the "trunk".

Competition Engineering makes a 8 and 10 point cage for 3rd gens. I am wondering if they took into account the notchback models.

My idea is to lighten up the car to take about a .5 second out of my 1/4 mi et. I really like Hawks' RAM AIR hood. http://www.hawksthirdgenparts.com/fiberglass.html

That really looks tough and will knock a few pounds off the front end.

The notchback would take few more #s off too. yeah I could to a lexan hatch but then the car doesn't look "stock" anymore.
</font>
the stuff at hawk's is the same as gtauto. hawk is probably marketing them for dirk.
www.geocities.com/gtautoacc/dirks.html