Aftermarket Product Review Provide questions and answers about aftermarket parts for the Third Generation F-Body.

Cam and head suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2004, 11:09 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: '84 Berlinetta
Engine: ZZ4
Transmission: BT0D stage 3 w/22oo
Axle/Gears: 3.23 posi disc
Cam and head suggestions?

I was looking to pick up a new set of heads and a cam when I get back from Iraq. The engine is a 305 with the edelbrock tes headers and Air gap manifold. Just wondering what would yeild the best results, an edelbrock package, or mix and match? The heads I would like to have are the performer ones, but Im not sure what that would bumb my comp. ratio to. Any suggestions would be most appreciated, thanks.
Old 10-30-2004, 04:26 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Edelbrock heads are good, but the cams suck. For a 305 the World Torquers are supposed to be good heads. Nothing wrong with the edelbrocks either though. I only use comp cams, regardless of the problems other people seem to have.
Old 10-30-2004, 08:55 PM

I havn't heard anything really negative about comp cams, but Im curious what grinds would be most efective. I was told an extreme grind would most likely be harmful as opposed to bennificial because of the smaller displacement, but Im not sure. How much do the world torker heads typically cost?
Old 10-30-2004, 09:34 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91 RS
Engine: 350 TBI
Transmission: 700R4
They're not too expensive. I think around $700-800, but I could be wrong. You should be able to pick them up from Summits or Jegs.

As for a cam, if I were you, I'ld get something considered mild and see how you like it and how it runs. Then if it's a little too tame for your taste, pick up some 1.6RR's. Of course I suggest this if this car is your daily driver.

What's the induction on this motor?

And just food for thought, I bought a crate motor (350) with my combat pay. . you might want to look into the same thing. Good luck, keep your head down and your finger on the trigger. Get some!
Old 10-31-2004, 04:28 AM

Thanks, Gunny. Do the world heads come in aluminum? Any what would they boost my comp. ratio to if you know?

The induction is a 650 Thunder series carb. A bit pricey, but I like being the first one to field a product that looks promising (hence the air gap manifold). So far, so good. The car is only driven about 500 miles a year if that, it sits up in WA while Im stationed down in Pendleton. I don't want to buy a new motor because of all the time and parts Ive invested into this one, and I like the fact that I can shred mustangs with the original LG4 block. Plus, I think most of the pay will go either to a bike or a second gen, with some going into the truck as well.

Thanks again Gunny, hope life stateside is treating you well.
Old 10-31-2004, 09:44 AM
TGO Supporter/Moderator

Received 89 Likes on 75 Posts
Car: '88 Formula, '94 Corvette, '95 Bird
Engine: LC9, 355" LT1, LT1
Transmission: T5, Zf6, 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.42, Dana44 3.45, 3.23
Re: Cam and head suggestions?

Originally posted by Berlinetta00
I was looking to pick up a new set of heads and a cam when I get back from Iraq.
First of all, Thank You! And be safe over there. A few kids I grew up with died over there.

As much as I'd love to convince you to buy my sportsman-II heads (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...e=STRK:MESE:IT),
I really think some S/R heads would be better on your 305. You want to maximize the quench area. A larger 350 head might not get you the result your looking for.

Perhaps even a set of 58cc L98 heads would work (the alum ones).

-- Joe
Old 10-31-2004, 11:29 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91 RS
Engine: 350 TBI
Transmission: 700R4
Thanks again Gunny, hope life stateside is treating you well.
To tell you the truth, I miss it. Of course I wanted to come back home after 7 months, but now that I've been home for 6, I'm really starting to miss the whole thing. Maybe I'm making no sense. . I just feel like that's where I belong. You would think 2 campaigns in this War on Terrorism would be enough, but here I am.

Anyways, I don't believe the S/R's come in aluminum. They're meant to be direct replacements, that just flow better. Somebody else said it though . . you also might want to look at the TPI 305 aluminum heads. You could probably pick some up a little bit cheaper and use the left over money to port and polish them.

I'm sorry, but I can't help you with the compression question. I've been trying to figure out my own compression for my motor.
Old 10-31-2004, 01:17 PM
TGO Supporter/Moderator

Received 89 Likes on 75 Posts
Car: '88 Formula, '94 Corvette, '95 Bird
Engine: LC9, 355" LT1, LT1
Transmission: T5, Zf6, 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.42, Dana44 3.45, 3.23
Originally posted by Gunny Highway

I'm sorry, but I can't help you with the compression question. I've been trying to figure out my own compression for my motor. [/B]
Could guess based on the current compression, and cc of the new heads, however, which gasket he uses will take into account, also the deck height of the block. ANyone who thinks all SBC's had the same deck height when they left the factory, is just plain CRAZY!

-- Joe
Old 11-01-2004, 08:01 AM

As far as the heads go, Id prefer aftermarket heads simply because more than likly the springs are going to be a bit stronger than the stock ones, and the casting should be a bit better. As far as head gaskets go, Im not too inclined to use the copper ones, as gas prices are high enough over there to the point where I don't need to spend the extra cents to get the 93 or higher octane fuel. Id like to keep the comp ratio around 9 to 10, which will defenitly mean 89 octane, but not nesscarily 93.

Where would be the best place to shop for all these? I know summit and Jegs have them, but where am I most likely to find the best price? My time on the computer is limited, so I not exactly able to find it all for myself.

On the positive side, we do have computers (when the generator and comm is up). Here its not too bad, but then again, Im just lowly Motor T. Im sorry to hear that you want to get back over here Gunny, its getting to be more and more like garrison (only with better food, but no libo- field day still sucks). I dont suppose you typically worry about that though Gunny. Enjoy your cars, its my turn to fight for a while
Old 11-01-2004, 09:11 AM

Engine: 305
Transmission: A4
First off i would also like to say thank you for serving our country, and may G*d bless you and all our armed forces.

the World S/R tourquer heads are cast iron. you can get them in 58-76cc starting at 259.99 each for the bare ones and 379.99 for assembled on Jegs. if i were you ide get 600cfm edelbrock carb, they dont make as much power as Hollies do but for ease of tunability it dosnt get any better. You might as well anyway to mach with your other Edelbrock parts. As for the cam maybe look into a Comp dual energy if your looking into a more mild cam. But if you want to take out that flat tapped and put in a roller and your not concerned about how loppy the idle is you might want to look into the Comp extreme energy series

Last edited by berlinator; 11-01-2004 at 09:14 AM.
Old 11-01-2004, 11:26 AM
Supreme Member

they dont make as much power as Hollies do but for ease of tunability it dosnt get any better.
An edelbrock can make just as much power as a holley. They have to be tuned like any other carb. They are just a little more dependable than a holley
Old 11-03-2004, 08:41 AM

Sorry about the late reply, our comm goes down whenever we get incoming.

I already have a carb, thanks, like I said I use the Edelbrock Thunder series 650. They are easier to tune, and seem to me a great choice. I have worked with holly and weber carbs, and I don't much like the more complicated design that is also prone to leakage and float problems from what Ive heard.

Anyways, thanks for the information, its been really helpful. Ill try looking for the heads (400 assembeled beats the 900 that edelbrock charges, even if they are still cast iron). Now the only question is what size chamber to go for. What would give me around 9.5 compression in a 305? Id assume somthing around 64 cc, but I guess Ill have to do the math myself.

As far as the cam goes, Im still at a loss. Which series would be moderate at idle, good power in cruise, and a good top end? I heard a 266 series from crane would work, would comp also have a similar grind? I guess Ill keep searching for the answers...

We appriciate your prayers, and I just hope you all enjoy your camaros, because I havn't seen mine for 6 months, and I won't see it again until April
Old 11-03-2004, 11:28 AM
Supreme Member

64 is way to big. Stock they came with 58. You would probably want something in the 50-54 range. Basically, unless you can find some 50's you will probably have to buy the heads and have them milled.
Old 11-05-2004, 08:41 AM

why would you go below the stock size 58cc, just to get more compression?
Old 11-05-2004, 12:28 PM
Supreme Member

why would you go below the stock size 58cc, just to get more compression?
That is exactly why. Its the easiest and most efficient way to boost compression.
Old 11-05-2004, 03:47 PM
Supreme Member

Car: White KSwisses
Engine: 5.3L Gen III
As far as the heads go, Id prefer aftermarket heads simply because more than likly the springs are going to be a bit stronger than the stock ones, and the casting should be a bit better.
I kinda disagree about the springs in that the springs that come with the heads are often times a mismatch with the cam. They can be too stiff or hydraulic cams, too soft or more radical cams, etc.
I think you should pick your cam, then match your springs to what the cam manufacturer recommends.
Old 11-06-2004, 05:20 AM

I think Id be inclined to agree with you about the spring matching, it makes alot of sence, but the springs that come with a stock head will be no better matched than the springs on an aftermarket head. I guess the lesson here is to buy the heads already matched to the cam, or buy a head without the springs and order them seperatly. I think I might just stick with the edelbrock stuff if that is in fact the case, as the cam and heads are built to match. But Id prefer to get better compression, and Im not sure that the edelbrock heads come with a 54 cc volume. I really need to get a crane or comp cams catalog...

Hope all is well in the states.

-Semper Fi
Old 11-09-2004, 09:01 AM

how would milling the 58cc heads make a smaller combustion chamber? Not to sound stupid but i dont really know anything on the subjet, and milling makes me think of drilling and or removing metal from the heads, making something on them larger right? i dont understand that would work.
Old 11-09-2004, 09:42 AM
TA
Supreme Member

Car: '88 GTA, 90 Formula
Engine: 5.7 TPI, fed growth hormones
Transmission: 700r4 4u2?
Axle/Gears: 9bolt
Milling is removing material from the flat mating surface of the head. You are taking a thin layer of material off of the bottom of the head where it seals to the top of the block, perhaps the thickness of a gasket, if that helps you visualize it. As the valves and spark plug move closer to the piston, this makes the combustion chamber smaller You can't do too much, or the intake will no longer fit properly without also being angle machined, and things get strange in a hurry.

Thanks to those who have served.

Troy
So Cal
Old 11-12-2004, 04:40 PM

Car: 1894 Camaro Berlinetta 305 auto
Engine: 305 LG4
Transmission: TH 700 R4
sorry all i could give you would be my thought but i would think that edelbrock would make their carbs to run best with their manifolds, and heads w/ the manifolds and so on and so forth
Old 11-12-2004, 05:45 PM
Supreme Member

sorry all i could give you would be my thought but i would think that edelbrock would make their carbs to run best with their manifolds, and heads w/ the manifolds and so on and so forth
Not really. Sure, they are willing to make recommendations about what to use with what, and they will all be thier own products. Holley will do the same.