Aftermarket Product Review Provide questions and answers about aftermarket parts for the Third Generation F-Body.

Dyno Don's Headers

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 08:14 PM
Supreme Member

Received 348 Likes on 263 Posts
Car: 1984 Camaro Berlinetta
Engine: LT1
Transmission: T56 6-speed
Axle/Gears: 4.11 LS1 Rear End
Re: Dyno Don's Headers

None of this makes me feel any better.

Ok, I have been on vacation and came back to a bunch of problems on this end.
You know quite well that the problems started back in May, They have simply been unaddressed until now.

8 of them had fittment issues due to clapsed motor mounts or the mounts are on the wrong side. I know it's frustrating,
These fitment issues were never disclosed. I was warned of the coolant pipe and possibly needing to lift the motor to install. I found the drivers side hitting the crossmemer on the first set I installed in May and reported the problem. Only Then did I get hear the "sagging" motor mount .

If 3-4 other brands of headers fit without a fitment issue then so should every other header. OK: Now I've got to install motor mounts,...... Everyone on TGO knows what kind of a PITA job that is and everyone here knows that POLY mounts sit HIGHER than stock. Sure would have know about it in advance.

So why did I still send my $$ ?? Because I installed the POLY inserts with my buddy and things seemed better. It looked OK but left before the car was backed out of the garage. I drove home and wrote to Don before sending my payment,......

"Again, please elect quality over speed, ( Flat header flanges, tight tollerances, ect.... ) And Thanx in advance ! "
The response I got :

Quote:
I do my best to hold tolerances the best I can.
I can't insure every situation is going to be perfect.
With that being said, I will take the utmost care to
verify the fitment on your set.
As far as the flat flanges go, just make sure you tighten from the middle out.
As it turns out Jay still has a vibration. He's going to try to spin the flange on that side because it's close and he can't tell if it's the tube or the flange still making contact after all POLY mounts got installed.

What did I get; A set of headers that hit in the EXACT SAME PLACE. So Bad in fact that POLY mounts were NOT enough to lift the header of the cross-member. Let me add this tid-bit.... The motor mounts in my car had MAYBE 6K miles on them.

I have a random car, I have picked a random set of headers,
Prooves NOTHING. I'm sure that I didn't get a set of "random" headers. If that was the case I wouldn't have waited to 4 weeks for delivery. I don't know how many sets of non-AIR headers you made from the time you made Jays set till you made mine - but if you made more than our 2 sets than expect all of them to have drivers side problems. Make a new set of headers for an actual apple-to-apple comparison. Don't discuss boguss test results with a set that's probably already been placed against several other cars/engines and is sure to pass inspection.

I'm just wondering what trans and crossmember you and your friend thats having problems are using??
Jay's IROC is a 91? LB9 in an 86 IROC with T5 & Stock crossmember. He was forced to dish out for POLY motor inserts as well as a POLY tranny ,mount.

My car is an 84 Berlinetta with 95LT1, T56 and Spohn crossmember. I already had a POLY tranny mount, and I did NOT WANT POLY motor inserts.

The headers are of the best quality and really increased my exhaust flow, I gained 35hp on the dyno with just Dons exhaust.
Be patient and work your way through the fittment issues. Sooner or later, the motor mount issue would have to be fixed anyway.
Make no mistake; the clamshells on Jays car and my car ARE and WERE correct. Don happens to be using my picture to ID their proper mounting location. These headers sure look good - there's a lot of good locking headers out there that perform just fine at a lower cost. I've got Months of NEEDLESS aggrivation, Hundereds of $$ worth of additional $$, and countless extra hours working on this. I handed out almost a Grand for a Dyno Don Exhaust because I wanted the best. Had MY headers been checked against a random car before you left for vactation,........ things would have turned out a LOT different.

Let's not forget, you WERE informed, You WERE asked to verify this exact situation BEFORE you were paid, before they were crafted, before your vacation,....... and yet I still got headers that hit exactly as I had described from my first install.

Old 07-28-2012, 11:20 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 89 IROC Z28
Engine: 357 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Posi

I have no idea why your car is different almost everyone else car, mine fit fine once a spacer was placed under sagging mount.
Old 07-28-2012, 11:31 PM
Supreme Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: 1989 GTA
Engine: 369 TPI
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.70 Nine Bolt

Don can only make the headers to fit the cars the way they left the factory. Once everyone starts to make there own modifications there is no telling what issues may arise. This is true for all headers. I have seen any number of disclaimers form header manufacturers that if you deviate from there prescribed system you are on your own. That is just the way it is.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:51 AM
Supreme Member

Here's a few pictures of the header /crossmember,...... AFTER the POLY inserts were installed.

ringo234 -

You obviously only read what you wanted to read in my post. My mounts were not stock - they were nearly new - they did not sag. If "sagging" mounts were the problem then installing new OEM mounts should solve the problem, right ?? Anyone reading about DD headers that thinks that 'sagging' motor mounts is the reason for fitment issues is a gullible fool.

Flowtechs, Hooker, Headman, Edelbrock ALL fit without a problem,..... and you think it's MY car that has issues ??

Header clearance on the drivers side did NOT happen to my only my car. In case you didn't read it the first time...... I've installed 2 sets of these headers on 2 different car and they both hit the crossmember in exact same place.

Don can only make the headers to fit the cars the way they left the factory. ............disclaimers form header manufacturers that if you deviate from there prescribed system you are on your own.
1989GTATransAm: A gen 1 small block sitting on a stock cross member...... how far from 'factory' can that possibly be. I did not deviate, I bought the complete system and it didn't fit.

I'm not a rookie, I've re-built more Camaro/Firebirds than most of the members on this site will ever touch. I didn't mention that I had to cut Dons' Y-Pipe to fit on Jays car. You know why?? Because it was due to other customizations already made to the car. ( Hotchkiss SFC's) In that instance the fitment problems WERE the result of other mods & was accepted and worked around because it wasn't something that Don can control.... unlike the fit of his headers off the head.

Do you guys don't really believe that everyone that's installed DD headers happens to also have bad motor mounts ?? Do You !?!? My motor mounts were in near new condition and I couldn't even get the header bolts started into the head on that side because the header hit the crossmemer and would not allow the header to move forward far enough for the flange holes to line-up.

This is my last post here. Don can't do anything now to make things right by me. Had he taken the time to check into this AS I REQUESTED before shipping my headers than installing that header would have taken 1/2 hour. Instead; I had to deal with EXACTLY the fitment issue that I had informed him about previously - the EXACT problem I tried very hard to avoid. The previous 2 member posts in this thread make me realize that people will believe whatever they want to believe ---- even when the FACTS are clearly laid out for all to see.

Old 07-29-2012, 11:20 AM
Supreme Member

Received 747 Likes on 506 Posts
Car: 1989-92 FORMULA350 305 92 Hawkclone
Engine: 4++,350 & 305 CIs
Transmission: 700R4 4800 vig 18th700R4 t56 ZF6 T5
Axle/Gears: 3.70 9"ford alum chunk,dana44,9bolt

John in RI, I think I see the problem.. red brake and fuel lines!
All kidding a side, I wonder if there has been a tolerance stack issue with the stamping and hole punching of the factory K members over the years? Have all the cars you installed headers on been early cars or are they mixed early an late cars?

It looks like your motor needs to move rearward on your Kmember for proper header clearance.
Is your trans Xmember a custom setup or aftermarket? It kinda looks like if you moved the trans mount to the pass side a lil bit it would pull the header back away from the motor crossmember..Would it be enuff? I cant tell. Is the motor/trans in the car square?

That looks like a LT1? The aluminum heads also have a lil higher port than the steel heads do, which shoooould be helping you a touch.

Last edited by TTOP350; 07-29-2012 at 01:52 PM.
Old 07-29-2012, 11:43 AM
Supreme Member

John it is quite obvious that you don't know how things work. How in the hell is Don going to make up a set of headers that will fit your car exactly with your modifications if he does not have the car in hand and on his rack? He can make a stab at it or an educated guess but that will be it. Seriously you have a rough life ahead of you if you don't get a grip on reality.
Old 07-29-2012, 12:16 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1988 IROC-Z camaro
Engine: 355 TPI
Transmission: tko 500
Axle/Gears: Dana 44 3.31 posi pbr brakes

Originally Posted by 1989GTATransAm
John it is quite obvious that you don't know how things work. How in the hell is Don going to make up a set of headers that will fit your car exactly with your modifications if he does not have the car in hand and on his rack? He can make a stab at it or an educated guess but that will be it. Seriously you have a rough life ahead of you if you don't get a grip on reality.
You obviously dont know John or what he has been doing for the past...oh idk 20 years or so. He has been working Third gens and knows them inside and out. He has not only installed these headers on his personal car with the LT1 but also on a stock 87 with a LB9 and a T5 as his earlier posts have said. How is it that both hit in exactly the same spot then? At this point its not the cars. Ive heard enough excuses as to...it must be a modified car and yada yada. Most of the fitment issues that are in this thread are dealing with stock cars or parts that fit the same as stock! There is no dimensional difference between a LT1 and a gen 1 sbc so the headers should fit with NO issues.

Basically if you have to install poly motor mounts and do a ton of cutting on 700 dollar headers to make them fit...there is something wrong.

As far as making headers "fit his car exactly"...thats precisely what he should be doing. His headers are labeled as fitting angled and straight plug heads on a sbc in a third gen! Well news for you...thats what john has and it didnt fit without a ton of massaging. End story and argument.
Old 07-29-2012, 01:59 PM
Supreme Member

"Ive heard enough excuses as to...it must be a modified car and yada yada."

That is exactly the snarky attitude that got my blood boiling in the first place with comments like that from the both of you. There are plenty of cars running around that did not have issues with the installation. The thing to do would be to look for a solution such as what TTOP350 has suggested.
Old 07-29-2012, 03:46 PM
Supreme Member

Received 106 Likes on 65 Posts
Car: '90 Trans Am-12.45@110.71
Engine: 355 w/AFR 195's Elem. 400/430 HP/TQ
Transmission: Tremec T-56
Axle/Gears: 12 Bolt 3.73

The last 150 sets of these headers has been made on the same jig.
It's unfortunate I don't always have a car here to try them on before shipping.
But really guys, I pull a car on the rack, grab a set of headers bolt them on and they fit.
If any of you can't deal with that slight problem you have and you want this left side header
(I have on this car), send yours back and I will send you this one. AND, I will try any that I send, on this car before they go out to you.
I have been in the exhaust business for 50+ years and every manufacturer I have ever dealt with tells you "some clearances are tight and might need some adjustment" AKA
bap it here or there. Those are Hookers words not mine.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:29 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: klowny1969 <-youtube 4 3rd gen vids
Engine: subscribe to klowny1969 on youtube!
Transmission: subscribe to my channel on youtube

maybe the car isnt straight? do u know if it was ever hit? have u been on a chassis machine? maybe the car flexed real bad before the sfc's were installed? also..what i see from the pics..its not that bad..personally i wouldnt even have mentioned this issue..u can easily make them fit..grab a hammer and attack the k-member..done
problems are encountered with any mod..especially headers..if this is a major issue for you, maybe u shouldnt be modding cars..
I just ordered a set of dyno dons and im waiting for them..I will post up exactly how they fit for me...
Old 07-31-2012, 12:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1990 RS
Engine: 355 Carb
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 323 Posi

Wow,looks nice,Interested in this set up.does it come as a bolt on or is welding required?

Originally Posted by Dyno Don
Darren:
Here is a picture of the crossover freshly made on the same tooling as yours,
it fits perfect.
Everything lines up as it is suppose to.
Unless something happened between here and there yours should be right.
You have to make sure those mounts are on correct.

Old 07-31-2012, 01:54 PM
Supreme Member

Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts
Car: 1989 IrocZ
Engine: 421 Dart Stroker
Transmission: 4L60E Cahall Performance Built
Axle/Gears: Midwest Chassis Fab 9/ 3.55 gears

Originally Posted by manolis1969
maybe the car isnt straight? do u know if it was ever hit? have u been on a chassis machine? maybe the car flexed real bad before the sfc's were installed? also..what i see from the pics..its not that bad..personally i wouldnt even have mentioned this issue..u can easily make them fit..grab a hammer and attack the k-member..done
problems are encountered with any mod..especially headers..if this is a major issue for you, maybe u shouldnt be modding cars..
I just ordered a set of dyno dons and im waiting for them..I will post up exactly how they fit for me...
Well I can speak for myself but nothing is perfect. These are not mercedes, they are chevys. Not every single car that comes off the assembly line is an exact replica of the original. Speaking from experience most aftermarket parts fit ok. Factory always fits the best. Heres some of the companies I have delt with: Slp ( Headers too close to steering shaft for my liking) Edelbrock( Very good fitting headers) Ati procharger ( Intercooler and piping design satisfactory for the routing they used, 6 rib slips to much and fixed tensioner is crap) Classic tube brake lines( Crap fit) Accel Specifically Super ram( Manufacturing tolerances way off and a bear to get sealed) . I could go on and on. If you have never ran into problems modifying your car you just aint modifying it enough. About hitting the k member I understand his concern. I would not want to cut into the structual integrity of the frame of the car, I just wouldnt chance it. He has a legit concern. Headers hitting the frame on any car will not stay sealed long and may damage the threads on the heads not to mention the headers. So lets see what happens before we start telling people to rethink there course in modifying vehicles.
Old 07-31-2012, 04:59 PM

Judging from the pics..it looks like all he had to do was hit the k-member in, probably under an inch..that is not going to compromise the structural integrity at all..words of wisdom "if u havent run into problems, ur not modding enough"
Old 07-31-2012, 05:27 PM
Supreme Member

In my 30 plus years of modding cars, the best thing I ever heard was,
"the definition of performance parts is, It doesn't fit.." ..
Old 07-31-2012, 06:59 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by manolis1969
Judging from the pics..it looks like all he had to do was hit the k-member in, probably under an inch..that is not going to compromise the structural integrity at all..words of wisdom "if u havent run into problems, ur not modding enough"
Look at the pics again and read his post. He took a grinder to the k member. In other words he cut into the frame. I would not cut into the frame of any car pushing more hp than stock. These bodys twist as it is. And if you have enough strength to pound down that spot with the motor in that small space you must be extremly strong. In all the years i have never had to mod a frame to fit an exhaust. Its the other way around easier to mod the pipes with a ball peen and some heat. Like it was said before one car isnt the same as another. Lets see how this pans out.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:55 PM

Car: 1987 IROC-Z
Engine: 350 TPI

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't these headers the only 1 3/4" shorties available for these cars?

I remember years ago when I was looking into a set of SLPs, everyone had complaints about fitment issues with them, too.

Thats a thick diameter pipe to be tucked into a shorty design, all of the comparison headers listed I thought were all 1 5/8" primaries?

Anyway, can't the fitment of the headers be used as an excuse to get an aftermarket k-member? Yea it sucks that its some more cash out of pocket and a little more downtime with the car, but it would be a sweet, lighter, stronger ride when finished.

I recently ordered a set of these headers from Don, and can't wait to get them here and installed. I don't expect a full technical support hotline from him, as a one man show has many responsibilities to handle their own life right in front of them. I trust with any issue arrising he would be more than happy to lend advise if and when the time became available. Give the guy a break, he is doing what he can, when he can, and providing a product to the thirdgen community that everyone else has forgotten about, at a very fair price.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:03 PM
Supreme Member

SLPs came in 1 3/4. I have a set and my only clearance issue is with my angle plug heads. Im having a spark plug contact issue but SLP never designed them to work with angle plug heads.

The correction really is that Dyno Don headers are the only 1 3/4 shorty headers you can buy new.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:13 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by subroc
SLPs came in 1 3/4. I have a set and my only clearance issue is with my angle plug heads. Im having a spark plug contact issue but SLP never designed them to work with angle plug heads.

The correction really is that Dyno Don headers are the only 1 3/4 shorty headers you can buy new.
I think I have talked with you before in PMs but so others know SLP 1-5/8 tri-Ys were designed to use the corvette aluminum head and the f-car steel head. The SLP 1-3/4s will work with the F-car steel head, aluminum vet angle plug head, TFS angle plug and AFR angle plug heads.

Bottom line is, when parts are mixed and matched things don't always work the best..
Old 07-31-2012, 10:22 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by IROCZ1989
I would not want to cut into the structual integrity of the frame of the car, I just wouldnt chance it. He has a legit concern. Headers hitting the frame on any car will not stay sealed long and may damage the threads on the heads not to mention the headers. So lets see what happens before we start telling people to rethink there course in modifying vehicles.
Cutting a section out of the K member wont be a problem at all. Look at a fox body mustang factory Kmember. It has a buttload of sectioned out areas where ours are solid. Have you seen what guys do to a stock F-body Kmember for A/C compressor clearance? Its not a problem at all..

Last edited by TTOP350; 07-31-2012 at 10:35 PM.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:31 PM

^he speaks the truth..torch and hammer are ur friends
Old 08-01-2012, 05:59 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by TTOP350
Cutting a section out of the K member wont be a problem at all. Look at a fox body mustang factory Kmember. It has a buttload of sectioned out areas where ours are solid. Have you seen what guys do to a stock F-body Kmember for A/C compressor clearance? Its not a problem at all..
Sectioned out by the factory, not by someone at home with a grinder. I dont know what you mean by cutting out the k member for ac clearance., my ac use to reside on the top passenger side of the motor. When you get to that point I would just buy an aftermarket k member.

Actually I do think Don is the only one offering shorties. But, Hawks offers there fulls length ss works headers for around the same price if you get the y pipe from Don.And when you look at these headers you say no way they can fit a full length in there. Well they do fit and actually very well. Youd be surprised.

No ones looking for a full time "hotline" to Don, but when you have an issue with any company or person after spending alot of money you want somewhat of a timley response. Maybe money grows in some peoples backyards but I bust my *** for what I have and like to get satisfaction from parts I buy , not from the fact someone is the only offering of a certain product. Take care.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:31 AM
Supreme Member

Sectioned out by the factory, not by someone at home with a grinder. I dont know what you mean by cutting out the k member for ac clearance., my ac use to reside on the top passenger side of the motor. When you get to that point I would just buy an aftermarket k member.
I forgot to add, during a LS swap people have to cut and notched the factory K member for A/C compressor clearance. Most weld new metal back in, which can be done for this little header clearancing project. (do a quick search for pix)

It really isnt a big deal to add a clearance point on the K member here, with a grinder, a cut off wheel, plasma cutter, torch or even at home. As you said, money doesnt grow on trees and not everyone can just go buy a new K-member when they get to that point.
Since its on a corner of the Kmember, it would take a big hammer and a bunch of heat but it could be clearanced that way also.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:52 AM
Supreme Member

I forgot to add, during a LS swap people have to cut and notched the factory K member for A/C compressor clearance. Most weld new metal back in, which can be done for this little header clearancing project. (do a quick search for pix)

It really isnt a big deal to add a clearance point on the K member here, with a grinder, a cut off wheel, plasma cutter, torch or even at home. As you said, money doesnt grow on trees and not everyone can just go buy a new K-member when they get to that point.
Since its on a corner of the Kmember, it would take a big hammer and a bunch of heat but it could be clearanced that way also.
Kinda figuered it was in regards to ls1 swap. But you say they notch the frame, then , put metal back in. That is fine and acceptable but that wasnt the case here. Grinding a notch in a frame then not reinforcing it back I wouldnt even touch that. My quote about money growing on trees just meant if Im going to spend my hard earned money on parts I expect them them to fit" somewhat" ok. Headers have been done on these cars god only knows how many times guys have swapped them in and I have never ever seen a thirdgen that you had to notch a frame to get a shortie header in on. Even the Hawks long tubes fit with no notching. Its a simple mod. Most just have to push the brake lines over a bit thats it. So something is up with this situation, that we can all agree on.Hope this gets resolved for john soon.

Take care
Old 08-04-2012, 04:36 PM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1971 Camaro
Engine: 427
Transmission: TKO600
Axle/Gears: 3.73

Are LT1 exhaust ports in the same location as Gen 1 smallblocks?
Old 08-04-2012, 11:00 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Johnny Blaze
Are LT1 exhaust ports in the same location as Gen 1 smallblocks?
I think the LT1, L98 vet and fast burn are raised just a lil bit (.100?) over the steel heads.
Old 08-04-2012, 11:24 PM
Supreme Member

I know AFR's ports are raised as well
Old 08-05-2012, 02:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 86 IROC
Engine: 350 ZZ4
Transmission: TKO-600

Kinda figuered it was in regards to ls1 swap. But you say they notch the frame, then , put metal back in. That is fine and acceptable but that wasnt the case here. Grinding a notch in a frame then not reinforcing it back I wouldnt even touch that. My quote about money growing on trees just meant if Im going to spend my hard earned money on parts I expect them them to fit" somewhat" ok. Headers have been done on these cars god only knows how many times guys have swapped them in and I have never ever seen a thirdgen that you had to notch a frame to get a shortie header in on. Even the Hawks long tubes fit with no notching. Its a simple mod. Most just have to push the brake lines over a bit thats it. So something is up with this situation, that we can all agree on.Hope this gets resolved for john soon.

Take care

"something is up with this situation that we can all agree on"

I would not agree, as i've purchased his headers in the past few months and they installed perfectly and i'm extremely happy with them
Old 08-05-2012, 02:35 PM

I think the LT1, L98 vet and fast burn are raised just a lil bit (.100?) over the steel heads.
You are correct, but I believe Don has accounted for this and his headers fit them with no issues. I have watched him test fit them on aluminum 128 heads, 113 heads, fast burn heads and a few iron heads and they all fit fine.

I'm completely happy with my Dyno Don's corvette headers and will probably own no others. I did have to wait a while, mine were the first ever made with these specs to fit the C4 l98 while retaining a stock look, egr function and air tubes. That first set is now owned by a fellow ThirdGen member and is going onto I believe a 91 corvette with a stroked l98. I now have the 2nd set.

Almost hated to put them on the car, but they make the engine look like it should, a torque monster.
Old 08-12-2012, 06:29 PM
Supreme Member

Dyno Don,

Changed in the correct motpr mount clamshells. Put in new gm motor mounts. New tranny mount. Y pipe still hits frame. Passenger side clearence went up. But the y pipe still hits in the same spot. I had previously dented it in for it to fit but its still close. Passenger side outlet flange is close to a arm bolt mount too about 1/4 inch. Since I did all this work, spent countless amount of money( 40 for clamshells, 225 for new gm mounts )and time down because of this what can you do for me? I did everything you said needed to be done for these headers and y pipe to fit perfectly. If I had not crushed the y pipe in that spot it would be lying on the frame. Now I have about 1/4 or more to the fram in that spot and the outlet pipe actually lines up better now with the cat. Lmk where we can go from here. Its going on three months now dealing with this and I am out an extra 275 on top of this. Not to mention all the down time scouring for those clamshells and ripping everything out to get them in there with the correct gm rubber mounts. Thanks
Old 08-12-2012, 07:26 PM

Car: 85 IROC race car
Engine: 425/435 rwhp/tq
Transmission: WCT5 .80 5th gear
Axle/Gears: 3:42

LOL. Lighten up buddy, it was a joke as you posted the same thing three times in 10 minutes.

My positive comments were not meant for you but as general info for this thread to help others.

Maybe you should consider changing your pan.

Did Don tell you that it would all fit ok before you purchased? I was concerned about my canton pan as Don could not say there would not be issues but I went ahead and all was ok.

Nice moron comment. Is that how you get people to help you? How's that working out for you.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:57 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Doug Phillips
LOL. Lighten up buddy, it was a joke as you posted the same thing three times in 10 minutes.

My positive comments were not meant for you but as general info for this thread to help others.

Maybe you should consider changing your pan.

Did Don tell you that it would all fit ok before you purchased? I was concerned about my canton pan as Don could not say there would not be issues but I went ahead and all was ok.

Nice moron comment. Is that how you get people to help you? How's that working out for you.
My apologies, I didnt know I posted three times. Im sorry. Its really not the pan. Its made for a thirdgen chassis and actually has more room than the factory pan. You have to understand this whole situation. I have been dealing with this since the beginning of may. And at first Don was not very responsive. He told me what I needed to have on the car so I spent the money to get the right parts. I actually have 3 clamshell sets. Took out my poly mounts and poly tranny mount. Purchased brand new gm motor mounts to the tune of 225. So I am in the hole with these headers and all I get from members here is that" no problems with their sets" Well I know of three in my area who have issues with these headers. At this point I just want to return them. Thats all. I want my money back and if he wants to take some off for me installing them , fine I can deal with that. But I did everything to a t that he said needed to be on the car for everything to fit.. You habe to see where Im comming from here. Not only has this car sat waiting on him , but my new motor, holley ecu I bought countless parts purchased to get this road ready. Im sitting on a lot of money into this car and this is whats holding me up. Im upwards of 10 grand already waiting for a dam exhaust to fit. After having a set of slps on here, and edelbrocks which I dont care what anyone says they were the best fitting headers made for these cars. So if I came off quick like I just explained it all in that. Everything has been checked ten times over. Don even told me at one time my frame doesnt look stock. The car has 64000 on the body, trust me its stock. Im very frustrated to say the least. If someone want these headers make me an offer Ill blow em out of Don cannot come up with anything at this point. Thanks, and again please accept my apologies for my remarks. Take care.
Old 08-12-2012, 08:00 PM
Supreme Member

Btw the ypipe is hitting the frame where the two pipe exit and converge into one not at the pan area.
Old 08-13-2012, 12:46 PM
Supreme Member

Received 106 Likes on 65 Posts
Car: '90 Trans Am-12.45@110.71
Engine: 355 w/AFR 195's Elem. 400/430 HP/TQ
Transmission: Tremec T-56
Axle/Gears: 12 Bolt 3.73

Yes, I was very responsive, I told you I had a car here I was working on and "as soon as I get it apart", I will check everything on this end.

It seems because I didn't drop everything I was working on to accommodate you,
you got angry with me.

So, you say I have to understand where you are coming from, well you have to realize
I have more than 150 sets out there with just a few minor problems which are to be expected with modding of cars as others have explained to you.

Now you say you have fixed all that was wrong on your car and the parts still don't fit.

I have installed all the parts on this car I have here and have posted all the pictures showing everything fits on this end.

I will send you this complete set and you can send back the other set, if things don't fit on your end then, I don't know what to tell you, except there is nothing wrong with the parts.

I know you are frustrated, I can understand that, anybody else that had your same kind of issues changed the mounts and solved their problems.
Why yours doesn't, I can't answer, but if you want to exchange sets, ship them back to me like I said and I will send these that I have verified to fit.

I offered to exchange anyone elses that don't fit also and no one responded.
I had hoped they would do so while I have this car here so I can trial fit before shipping.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:18 PM
Supreme Member

I said I was done with this post - I thought I meant it,..... But that last post is some really funny *hit !

The only "modification" to my car when your headers were installed was - THE HEADERS. It was a SBC sitting in a STOCK X-member with GOOD mounts.

I've FULLY documented 2 sets of YOUR HEADERS hitting in the SAME PLACE on 2 DIFFERENT cars. After extensive additional LABOR and EXPENSE your offer is to swap them AFTER the labor and expenses have been spent. All while KNOWING that there was a problem with your first set. I contacted you privately about this - I didn't rage over it on the boards to cause problems. What was I told,......

I will take the utmost care to verify the fitment on your set.
If that's your BEST ------> your best won't do.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:33 PM

Car: 1990 GTA
Engine: 350
Axle/Gears: 3.23

I have Don's headers on my car and they fit perfect.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by gp90gta
I have Don's headers on my car and they fit perfect.
With the two dissatisfied people, Don has at least a 98.7%or better customer satisfaction rating, which is almost unheard of. I feel for you guys, but bashing him wont change most our minds about his quality of work. Ive had some pretty intense arguments with Don but he's always kept his word and made things right. Work it out with him off line, he has offered to replace them, and move on.

"Rangers lead the way"
Go see your recruiter and find out why.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:34 AM
Supreme Member

Don,
I dont want to bash you or bad mouth you but at first email responses from you were somtimes a week at a time apart, sometimes one or two sentence responses. Im not asking you to drop everything but you habe told me on three ocations that you had a car on the rack and would get right back to me and let me know what you find. Well that took 2 months because out of those three times this last time whwn you got back from vacation was when you posted the pics. So saying Im asking you to drop everything is a bit of a stretch. Can you tell me if you were on vaca this whole time who was reponding to your emails and in the forums? Just found it strange that all of a sudden now you are involved in this discussion and did the test on the car in the shop. No matter I appreciate the extention of replacing the y pipe and headers.

To all here who think know it all in terms of this, think again. There were plenty of emails before any "bashin" so you call it was done. We just want answers. And when something doesnt fit we dont want to hear that Im the only one so basically everything on my end is the issue. I was told it was my mounts, my clamshells, my frame isnt stock. Well changed the other two but on the third idk. Thing is I sent Don a money order for almost $800 for this system. That doesnt entitle me to his firstborn or a personal servent, but it entitles me to some answers and the fact that something may be off not on my end. But to make me feel like a burden after I sent $$ is uncalled for. All here who know what im talking about if they ever had an issue with a vendor. Work with me, thats all Im asking. Idk the age of some of these posters. But ive done more than a few sets of headers on these cars. 1 3/4 is tight on the thirdgens unless done right. 1 5/8 was the norm at one time. Anyone remember the tes edelbrocks? Thanks anyway for getting back to me Don. Take care.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:57 AM

I like the way that nobody even mentioned what i brought up like ten posts ago...MAYBE UR CAR WAS HIT...now think about that...doesn't it all make sense now??

Last edited by manolis1969; 08-14-2012 at 09:08 AM.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:29 AM
Supreme Member

Bought my car 20 Years ago from the second owner with just over 70K on it.

Here's a pic of the whole engine bay stripped to metal before the LT1 was installed....... no damage.

I've debunked EVERY attempt to blame my car for the bad fitting header & If it was only my car - I'd probably still be looking for a problem on my end. It wasn't just my headers,......or just my car.

To pick up a set of headers that was previously made and say everything is OK is an insult to anyone with the slightest bit of intellegance. It's very possible that you've already found a problem with your JIG and have already begun to correct it - while blowing smoke in here in an effort to save your rep. Who would know; simply selling the headers you already know are good until the jig can be adjusted will allow the time needed to adjust the jig.

I've personally installed these headers ( 2different sets ) on 2 different cars and they both hit in EXACTLY the same place. ANY/ALL reasons put forth as to why MY stuff was the problem has been debunked with plenty of PROOF to back up my claims. That's my experience,.... yours might be different.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:41 AM
Supreme Member

Raised exhaust ports have caused issues on many headers in many cars, other than 3rd gen f bodies.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:17 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by John in RI
Bought my car 20 Years ago from the second owner with just over 70K on it.

Here's a pic of the whole engine bay stripped to metal before the LT1 was installed....... no damage.

I've debunked EVERY attempt to blame my car for the bad fitting header & If it was only my car - I'd probably still be looking for a problem on my end. It wasn't just my headers,......or just my car.

To pick up a set of headers that was previously made and say everything is OK is an insult to anyone with the slightest bit of intellegance. It's very possible that you've already found a problem with your JIG and have already begun to correct it - while blowing smoke in here in an effort to save your rep. Who would know; simply selling the headers you already know are good until the jig can be adjusted will allow the time needed to adjust the jig.

I've personally installed these headers ( 2different sets ) on 2 different cars and they both hit in EXACTLY the same place. ANY/ALL reasons put forth as to why MY stuff was the problem has been debunked with plenty of PROOF to back up my claims. That's my experience,.... yours might be different.

I have to agree with John. I did reinstall Dons headers and they are very close on drivers side where they hit in johns car. About 1/4 inch. My cars history. Bought it used and it was babied wih 50,000 on it. I have had subframes on it since 55000. This is going back to 96. Had edelbrock tes headers, slp headers. Edelbrocks were with the factory and poly mounts. Slps were with poly mounts. Now I can add Hawks headers this as well. They fit too with 2 1/2 outlet. My frame is straight and clean. That car he had on the rack was all rusted and beat underneath. My front k member you can eat off. Its all been powdercoated a arms and all factory. I have 64000 on it now. You maybe think the car on the rack it tourqued? Or maybe that car was hit? So I installed 4 sets, 3 with ypipes, 2 with 1 3/4 inch primaries and one set of long tubes, on this car. Here how they break down in terms of fit. Edelbrock #1 Hawks #2 Slp#3 Dons#4. Cant really put the Hawks in there with the others but in terms on fit for a long tube they are tops. Edelbrocks main thing is the 1 5/8 primary. Slps were ok. I have all the documents on my car. Even window sticker and build sheet found under factory carpet. This car is clean and straight. Not many guys ever put subframes on these when they came out. Back in 96 only Mac had weld in subframes. Which I have and they still look new today. Maybe most cars here are beat or been hit. How can anyone know? How many here actually have there cars since new or almost new amd know there full history? No one knows. Every car is different. So a beat twisted car being used for a exhaust will not fit a car that has a easy life and straight frame, and vica-versa. I actually had my autobody friend put this car on a frame machine not long after I purchased it because at the time no one could tell. And it was within specs in 1998. I dont think there was carfax at the time. So take it for what its worth. It is what it is. Take care.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:37 PM
Supreme Member

Raised exhaust ports have caused issues on many headers in many cars, other than 3rd gen f bodies.
Already covered that base with a call trickflow to confirm exhaust ports are stock height. Take care.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:58 PM
Supreme Member

Already covered that base with a call trickflow to confirm exhaust ports are stock height. Take care.
Stock hieght for a Gen I smallblock or stock hieght for a GenII LT1?
Old 08-14-2012, 01:58 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1993 GMC Typhoon
Engine: 4.3 Turbo
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 3.42

the funny part John.. and that your brain is no registering... you said yourself youve used to 2 sets.. both hit in the same place..right?.. both sets fits Don's mock up car perfect... SO the problem lies in the car.. not the headers.. meaning there is consistancy with the header build... and consistancy in your car.. meaning your car is off somewhere to fit these.. since they fit other cars fine

you also mentioned other brands fit with no issues.. what you didnt post or tell us, is how close those fit to the spot that hits using DD headers.. if they fit very close.. then i understand because those other brands are using 1 5/8" primaries and these are 1 3/4" and the routing is different.

im thinking there is a slight engine craddle warpage or a slight chassis twist, too small to be seen with a nake eye.

proof is in the pudding so to speak... and here is what we know..

150 other people have these headers, no fitment issues like your reported
2 sets you claim that hit in the same place on your car but work on the other cars
no one else has had this same place fitment issue..

must be the car.. but you are so damn butt hurt, and think this challenges your 20+ years of experience that you take it as a slam on your mechanical skills.. problem is the car.. it just comes down to accepting that or not.. you chose not, and take the cop out of blaming the manufacture..

PS:
until you can 100% confirm a "debunk"..you need it on a chassis rotaty and measure it out to factory specs to confirm its not twisted,

Last edited by KiLLJ0Y; 08-14-2012 at 02:02 PM.
Old 08-14-2012, 02:08 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1993 GMC Typhoon
Engine: 4.3 Turbo
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 3.42

on and FYI, let say for arguments sake its the manufacturer..

if there is 150 sets out there.. made, and 148 of them fit fine.. thats a 1.33% manufacture defect rate.. and 98.66% are going to fit with not a single issue

thats a pretty damn good ratio, for being made by a man in a garage by himself
Old 08-14-2012, 02:44 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 83Z28 HO
Engine: Magnacharged Dart Little M 408
Transmission: G Force 5 speed
Axle/Gears: Moser 9" w/Detroit Trutrac

I normally avoid posting on the Product or Vendor review boards here for just the reasons above.

Normally, one's intent on posting here in the first place is to let everyone know if you got bad service, a bad fitting part or whatever, and suddenly everyone that had positive experiences begin not only to post thier experience (which is fine IMO) - but then...bashing begins.

The "bash fest" normally continues and includes the OP (or others that didn't have a positive experience) get accused of improper installation, tampering with the product or in this case - having a twisted frame or the like. It's almost like he's just lying about everything...the fact that other headers have fit the car fine etc...

It's that "The same product fit MY CAR fine, so therefore any problems you're having are bogus" type of mentality that makes what could be a useful thread to others useless.....

Last ime I posted about an issue I had with Spohn products....I got drug through the dirt pretty bad. I learned my lesson. I found that you're much better off doing a search to see what others have experienced on any particular product or vendor, and decide for yourself....
Old 08-14-2012, 02:44 PM
Supreme Member

Really, how many sets of headers have you installed on any car? By the tone of you response your definatly in the 20 something age bracket. How the heck do you know there are 150 sets sold? Do you moniter Dons emails to see what people say or email him about problems? You his personal secretary? You must be nieve to think no manufacturer has problems or fitment issues. You think every single person posts there problems here? No some are low key and never say a word good or bad either way. Heres a good example I can give you about manufacturing problems. When I swapped these mounts and put the tranny back on the mptor I looked closly at my Quick time flexplate. Nice big company , part of prestolite which owns mr gasket, hays accel, lakewood. Well it looked cocked. Measured the runout and it was .05. Thats quite alot. Call quick time well they go round and round wih me on the phone saying I might habe bought the wrong plate, what did I have stock. Blah blah etc.. Well dont matter if its stock or not stock tolerance is .03 max run out. This ones .05. So whats your accepted runout on these plates? Hung up the phone becaue they wouldnt admit it was out of spec. Johns a straight shooter, as am I. I never posted this to bash anyone, just to get answers. Spend big money on parts and then sit on them for two plus months and get back to me how you feel when they dont fit and everyone tells you its on your end.

Btw, my car was on a chassis machine before and nothing has happened to it since so that debunks that statement.
Originally Posted by KiLLJ0Y
the funny part John.. and that your brain is no registering... you said yourself youve used to 2 sets.. both hit in the same place..right?.. both sets fits Don's mock up car perfect... SO the problem lies in the car.. not the headers.. meaning there is consistancy with the header build... and consistancy in your car.. meaning your car is off somewhere to fit these.. since they fit other cars fine

you also mentioned other brands fit with no issues.. what you didnt post or tell us, is how close those fit to the spot that hits using DD headers.. if they fit very close.. then i understand because those other brands are using 1 5/8" primaries and these are 1 3/4" and the routing is different.

im thinking there is a slight engine craddle warpage or a slight chassis twist, too small to be seen with a nake eye.

proof is in the pudding so to speak... and here is what we know..

150 other people have these headers, no fitment issues like your reported
2 sets you claim that hit in the same place on your car but work on the other cars
no one else has had this same place fitment issue..

must be the car.. but you are so damn butt hurt, and think this challenges your 20+ years of experience that you take it as a slam on your mechanical skills.. problem is the car.. it just comes down to accepting that or not.. you chose not, and take the cop out of blaming the manufacture..

PS:
until you can 100% confirm a "debunk"..you need it on a chassis rotaty and measure it out to factory specs to confirm its not twisted,

Last edited by IROCZ1989; 08-14-2012 at 02:49 PM.
Old 08-14-2012, 03:08 PM
Supreme Member

You speak the truth, so well infact. Too bad it always turns out that way. Funny you mention spohn. I was reserching torque arms the other night and ran across some posts on yellow bullit forums. Do a search of spohn over at yellow bullit forum, they dont hold back over there. I wont say anymore on that issue. Thanks for the reply though and washing some of the dirt off my face. Take care.

Originally Posted by Confuzed1
I normally avoid posting on the Product or Vendor review boards here for just the reasons above.

Normally, one's intent on posting here in the first place is to let everyone know if you got bad service, a bad fitting part or whatever, and suddenly everyone that had positive experiences begin not only to post thier experience (which is fine IMO) - but then...bashing begins.

The "bash fest" normally continues and includes the OP (or others that didn't have a positive experience) get accused of improper installation, tampering with the product or in this case - having a twisted frame or the like. It's almost like he's just lying about everything...the fact that other headers have fit the car fine etc...

It's that "The same product fit MY CAR fine, so therefore any problems you're having are bogus" type of mentality that makes what could be a useful thread to others useless.....

Last ime I posted about an issue I had with Spohn products....I got drug through the dirt pretty bad. I learned my lesson. I found that you're much better off doing a search to see what others have experienced on any particular product or vendor, and decide for yourself....
Old 08-14-2012, 03:11 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by KiLLJ0Y
Um read what John has been posting again slower this time. He has installed two completely different sets of dyno don headers on two completely different cars and they BOTH hit in the same area. That right there tells me its not just a fluke.
Old 08-14-2012, 03:11 PM
Supreme Member

Stock hieght for a Gen I smallblock or stock hieght for a GenII LT1?
Gen 1 l98

Quick Reply: Dyno Don's Headers