Aftermarket Product Review Provide questions and answers about aftermarket parts for the Third Generation F-Body.

Aeroquip quality, what happened?

Old 08-20-2016, 02:03 PM
Supreme Member

Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts
Car: 1989 IrocZ
Engine: 421 Dart Stroker
Transmission: 4L60E Cahall Performance Built
Axle/Gears: Midwest Chassis Fab 9/ 3.55 gears
Aeroquip quality, what happened?

Im plumbing my new oil cooler. Using -10 and wanted to use aeroquip because previously I had it plumbed -8 in red and blue. That was done years ago. Just ordered the same fittings in black in -10. Quality is utter crap. Finish is terrible. Joints on some of the fittings are not even anodized. Some are scratched and some the anodizing is faded. Junk. I expected way more from aeroquip. Here are some pics you decide if some of these fittings are quality or not.

Name:  20160820_145654_zpsvkz8dpj0.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  154.9 KB

Name:  20160820_145602_zpskd6kb4sa.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  132.2 KB

Name:  20160820_145828_zpsbrmgpry3.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  140.3 KB
Old 08-22-2016, 06:15 AM
TGO Supporter/Moderator

Received 89 Likes on 75 Posts
Car: '88 Formula, '94 Corvette, '95 Bird
Engine: LC9, 355" LT1, LT1
Transmission: T5, Zf6, 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.42, Dana44 3.45, 3.23
Re: Aeroquip quality, what happened?

Originally Posted by IROCZ1989
Im plumbing my new oil cooler. Using -10 and wanted to use aeroquip because previously I had it plumbed -8 in red and blue. That was done years ago. Just ordered the same fittings in black in -10. Quality is utter crap. Finish is terrible. Joints on some of the fittings are not even anodized. Some are scratched and some the anodizing is faded. Junk. I expected way more from aeroquip. Here are some pics you decide if some of these fittings are quality or not.

They lowered their QC to be cost competitive. For every guy that wants a nice show quality install, there are 10 guys like me that just want to get it plumbed. The chinese ebay stuff has been outselling the traditional brands.

With that said, the cheaper stuff does kinda suck in terms of swivels not swiveling, the finish falling off the first time you tighten it, etc.

Fragola might still be ok.

-- Joe
Old 08-27-2016, 12:22 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 89 IROC
Engine: 305 TPI / ZZ4 cam
Transmission: Stage 2 700R4, LS1 driveshaft
Axle/Gears: Strange 3.42 w/ Auburn

OUCh...wonder if the quality of Earls is still OK.
Old 08-30-2016, 08:25 PM
Supreme Member

Received 298 Likes on 234 Posts
Car: 92 Firebird
Engine: 4.8 LR4
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.45 9 Bolt

First off, hard anodize is not a consistent finish, so it may look "faded". Second, because it is "faded and may have some scratches from handling at the factory it is "junk"? Hardly. Junk would be threads that gall and connectors that wond go together, I have had some junk and it was terrible even thought it looked "good", bright sniny finishes do not make a quality product necessarily.
Third, where did you buy it? They have been having a lot of issues with Chinese knock offs branded as their own, if you look on their Facebook page you can see some examples. You can't judge a company by one small part they create and call it junk. I have one of their mid line FPR's in my Camaro and it is a very well made product from actual use and I would definitely buy more products from them including fittings since i am tired of buy cheap crap that breaks easily
Old 08-31-2016, 05:02 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by scooter
First off, hard anodize is not a consistent finish, so it may look "faded". Second, because it is "faded and may have some scratches from handling at the factory it is "junk"? Hardly. Junk would be threads that gall and connectors that wond go together, I have had some junk and it was terrible even thought it looked "good", bright sniny finishes do not make a quality product necessarily.
Third, where did you buy it? They have been having a lot of issues with Chinese knock offs branded as their own, if you look on their Facebook page you can see some examples. You can't judge a company by one small part they create and call it junk. I have one of their mid line FPR's in my Camaro and it is a very well made product from actual use and I would definitely buy more products from them including fittings since i am tired of buy cheap crap that breaks easily
First Im not judging a company by one small part. My car was originally plumbed 10 years ago with aeroquip red and blue in 8 an. There is a marked difference in quality from then to now. Its very apparent when you compare the finish and quality side by side to stuff 10 years ago. I have black Earls stuff and it looks way better. As does the XRP stuff. For 25-30 a fitting I expected a little more quality. I emailed them 3 times no response. So screw them. I understand finish is not consistant. But why is the old stuff and the other brands look that much better? From what Ive read Eaton, the parent company is now overseas. So I guess there is my answer. I bought from Summit and they were all packaged and sealed in Aeroquip bags. You comment like I have no buisness doing so. These fittings are not at all cheap. 1 150° is $32. This will probably be the last time using this brand because the quality difference from 10 years ago to now is very noticable. Summit brand is junk and soft like butter. About the only reason Im using it is because the pushlock from aeroquip is the best pushlock out of all the manufactures. Alot of guys use them no issues. Just finish quailty isnt up to spec. Should have went XRP. They use Aeroquip hose but add 5-10 to same comparable fitting in XRP brand.
Old 08-31-2016, 06:16 PM
Supreme Member

I emailed them 3 times no response. So screw them.
Dude, it is a large company, if you want an answer you should try calling them. I know it sounds like a bad answer, but sometimes it takes them a long time to get caught up with email. I have emailed small company's and not gotten a response for months. Rarely have I ever had an experience where I get no answer to a phone call.

Oops, I confused the name with Aeromotive sorry. Still don't think don't think slamming the whole company over a few parts is right though. You are entitled to your opinion, but those fittings look fine to me
Old 09-01-2016, 04:51 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by scooter
Dude, it is a large company, if you want an answer you should try calling them. I know it sounds like a bad answer, but sometimes it takes them a long time to get caught up with email. I have emailed small company's and not gotten a response for months. Rarely have I ever had an experience where I get no answer to a phone call.

Oops, I confused the name with Aeromotive sorry. Still don't think don't think slamming the whole company over a few parts is right though. You are entitled to your opinion, but those fittings look fine to me
Calling them? If you can get ahold of someone that handles aeroquip performance over at Eaton that would be magic. Try it. Maybe we are not on the same page. Im slamming the quality of the black fittings. Its crap. For 30+ dollars its sad. You say Im slamming a company over a few pieces. But you are saying there great because you bought a regulator that was nice. I have hundreds if dollars in fittings. Red and blue is nice. The black is garbage. Thats my opinion from a buying experience.
Old 09-01-2016, 03:40 PM
Supreme Member

But you are saying there great because you bought a regulator that was nice.
No, I bought an Aeromotive, I said I got mixed up.
Old 09-11-2016, 11:25 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 89 forrmula
Engine: 350 TBI
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.55

The knock off fittings on the standard braided stuff is a big difference vs Aeroquip. I don't have the same experience with the black push lock stuff but-Inhad to use a couple PRC (i.e. generic Chinese knockoffs for the dirt tracker) fittings when I Was in a bind and the damn things nearly slid together without any kind of fight!! I'm used to the good ole red/blue Aeroquip stuff when you HAD to use a damn vise and some oil to assemble the fittings over braided line so after tightening, you KNEW them suckers were never coming apart!! As for the junk PRC fittings....oh boy, I'd worry about fittings flying apart over time!! There's a reason why you pay for quality but as for the black fittings being poorly made....I don't know-maybe they get tossed in a big parts bin at the factory before getting bagged? idk....
Old 09-12-2016, 05:52 AM
Supreme Member

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
Car: 82 TA 87 IZ L98 88 IZ LB9 88 IZ L98
Engine: 5.7TBI 5,7TPI 5.0TPI, 5,7TPI
Transmission: T5, 700R4, T5, 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.08, 3.27, 3.45, 3.27

Xrp.... try it
Old 09-13-2016, 01:02 PM
Supreme Member

Aeroquip and xrp use the same aeroquip socketless hose. I should have used them. Im not discounting the operational quality of the fittings but the apperance. I never had an issue with an aeroquip fitting galling or failing to seal. Xrp makes excellent stuff.