Aftermarket Vendor Review Provide questions and comments about aftermarket part vendors for the Third Gen F-Body.

Hawks thirdgen selling knock offs

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 01:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 Trans Am
Engine: 355 tpi
Transmission: 5 speed
Re: Hawks thirdgen selling knock offs

I am glad this was brought up about Hawks. I know because of this I would never buy anything from this company, If the owner who has admitted he made the decision to commit fraud to his customers deserves what ever punishment that comes his way.
He has committed two felonies, First wire fraud by listing a product on his web site as a different companies product, The second is mail fraud , sending the warranty of Ticks with this product when it wasn't a Tick product threw the mail.
Now it was up to the owner of Hawks to do the legal, moral and ethical right thing, and He decided not to, So now any one can report this to the proper authorities, It could be Tick's , one of the customers that bought the product from Hawks or just someone that does not like this kind of activities.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:56 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Car: 89 IROC/89 Vert/87 Vert/89 GTA Vert
Engine: 5.7/5.0/5.0/5.7
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 9" 2.77/9" 3:23/9" 3:42

Wow, In Ballwin? I bought some parts from you.

Okay, so why does everyone want to see the Federal Government involved? So you really think someone from Hawk's (Bruce) should be fined or sent to prison for this? Or would fines just be okay, the money goes where (put to good use building facilities in Afghanistan that will never be used)?
Maybe just lawsuits? Does ANYONE give ANY thought to the repercussions? Go through the WHOLE process in your head. Everyone thinks throw the book at them but don't understand that the book could hit more than one person!!!!
I understand that there was dishonesty going on, people bought what they thought was one product or at least it was listed as such - This is why there are company owned patents, copyrights and registered trademarks. Does Tick's have the patent on this or is their name a registered trademark that appears on this product? There may be more to this story and let the people involved work it out. It has been brought to light, changes have to be made.... lets see what happens. Talk is cheap.

Last edited by rarebmx; 07-12-2013 at 02:00 PM.
Old 07-12-2013, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by rarebmx
Wow, In Ballwin? I bought some parts from you.

Okay, so why does everyone want to see the Federal Government involved? So you really think someone from Hawk's (Bruce) should be fined or sent to prison for this? Or would fines just be okay, the money goes where (put to good use building facilities in Afghanistan that will never be used)?
Maybe just lawsuits? Does ANYONE give ANY thought to the repercussions? Go through the WHOLE process in your head. Everyone thinks throw the book at them but don't understand that the book could hit more than one person!!!!
I understand that there was dishonesty going on, people bought what they thought was one product or at least it was listed as such - This is why there are company owned patents, copyrights and registered trademarks. Does Tick's have the patent on this or is their name a registered trademark that appears on this product? There may be more to this story and let the people involved work it out. It has been brought to light, changes have to be made.... lets see what happens. Talk is cheap.
Well Do you think that the owner of Hawks should be allowed to get away with this kind of crime? I don't, If you also don't think so what would be a good punishment for the crime? If Bruce the owner of Hawks is not punished for his crimes what is to stop him from doing it again?or to at least make him think not to do it again,
Yes he should be fined maybe even jailed for is admitted crime, At least he should be made to refund everyone that bought said product not only the amount of the product but the shipping as well. The implied warranty of the product is not there. Since it is not a Ticks product with there life time warranty that Ticks provides for there product, Hawks sent Ticks lifetime warranty with the Hawks product, with all the information to return it to ticks for the said life time warranty,
This is not just between Ticks and Hawks but to the people Hawks sold this product also. It is about how Hawks committed fraud to there own customers. And It wasn't just one person this happened to, Who knows how many people hawks sold this product to with the Ticks lifetime warranty. And really it would only take one person, be that Ticks or a customer that bought this product from Hawks to contact the Attorney General To start an investigation.
As for what happens to Hawks as the company I do not care, I would never buy from a company that has such unethical , immoral and criminal business practices, There are more companies out there that sell the same things they sell. I also believe that Thirdgen.org should drop Hawks as an advertiser.
Old 07-12-2013, 05:14 PM
Supreme Member

Received 746 Likes on 505 Posts
Car: 1989-92 FORMULA350 305 92 Hawkclone
Engine: 4++,350 & 305 CIs
Transmission: 700R4 4800 vig 18th700R4 t56 ZF6 T5
Axle/Gears: 3.70 9"ford alum chunk,dana44,9bolt

I have a general question or two for the powers that be....

What is the true story behind the development of the Tick parts?
(As in, who really designed it?? Was it them or one of their customers that they "borrowed" the idea from? (I was Emailed this info from another company, true or not?)

I know this has been covered here a little bit but exactly which parts are different from Tick to Hawks?? Could someone that has them both pull them completely apart to show the parts difference of the items?

Has anyone read any other forums about this?? I read that one guy says his Hawks billet block fits better than the Tick part. (How? I personally don't know. That's what I read and I'm just asking here)

Last edited by TTOP350; 07-12-2013 at 08:10 PM.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by TTOP350
I have a general question or two for the powers that be....

What is the true story behind the development of the Tick parts?
(As in, who really designed it?? Was it them or one of their customers that they "borrowed" the idea from? (I was Emailed this info from another company, true or not?)

I know this has been covered here a little bit but exactly which parts are different from Tick to Hawks?? Could someone that has them both pull them completely apart to show the parts difference of the items?

Has anyone read any other forums about this?? I read that one guy says his Hawks billet block fits better than the Tick part. (How? I personally don't know. That's what I read and I'm just asking here)
It's not about the part that Hawk is selling, It is about them claiming/selling it as a Ticks product and sending the Ticks warranty with the merchandise.
This is the legal issue, the fraud that Hawks has committed,

And really the only thing the owner of Hawk can do now is it to get an attorney and turn himself in before someone reports this to the Attorney General. If he does this then maybe they wont be so hard on him. But that is if the owner of Hawks has any intelligence at all.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by T/Aperformance
It's not about the part that Hawk is selling, It is about them claiming/selling it as a Ticks product and sending the Ticks warranty with the merchandise.

And really the only thing the owner of Hawk can do now is it to get an attorney and turn himself in before someone reports this to the Attorney General. If he does this then maybe they wont be so hard on him. But that is if the owner of Hawks has any intelligence at all.
Turn himself in? He is not on the FBI's most wanted. It is ignorance that prompts people to say things like you just said. What crime is it and can you please provide exact details or code enforement number about the law that was broken? How and where does he turn himself over to authorities? If he went to the local police station or called the FBI they would laugh and take him in for a psych evaluation. I agree there needs to be some answers provided but it is none of my business what the outcome is.
The Attorney General first would have to build a case they know they could win. They would need lots of complaints from consumers. Is it a Federal Crime or local? Give us more details in your "expert opinion".
In my eyes, this is a Tort case and in that instance the attorney's win the $$$$
Here are some Codes to use to tell us what law was broken.
Code/Description 187=Homicide 207=Kidnapping 207A=Kidnapping attempt 211=Robbery 211A=Robbery alarm 211S=Robbery alarm, silent 213=Use of illegal explosives 215=Carjacking 217=Assault with intent to murder 240=Assault 242=Battery 245=Assault with a deadly weapon 246=Shooting at inhabited dwelling 261=Rape 261A=Attempted rape 273A=Child neglect 273D=Domestic violence - Felony 288=Lewd conduct 311=Indecent exposure 314=Indecent exposure 374B=Illegal dumping 390=Drunk 390D=Drunk, unconscious 415=Disturbance 417=Person with a gun 417K=Person with a knife 419=Dead human body 428=Child Molest 444=Officer-Involved Shooting 459=Burglary 459A=Burglar alarm 459S=Burglar alarm, silent 470=Forgery 480=Hit and run - Felony (great bodily injury or death) 481=Hit and run - Misdemeanor 484=Theft 487=Grand theft= $950, or certain livestock 488=Petty theft value $950 501=Drunk Driving - Felony (great bodily injury or death) 502=Drunk Driving 503=Auto theft 504=Tampering with a vehicle 505A=Reckless driving 507=Public nuisance 510=Speeding or racing vehicles 586=Illegal parking 594=Malicious mischief 604=Throwing missiles 647=Lewd conduct 653M=Threatening phone calls

Last edited by rarebmx; 07-13-2013 at 12:05 AM.
Old 07-13-2013, 12:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1987 Camaro Z28, 1989 TTA #922
Engine: lb9, 3.8L turbo
Transmission: 700r4, 2004R

Wow this has turned into a feisty debate
Old 07-13-2013, 12:49 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1988 Camaro
Engine: 377
Transmission: TH350; Circle D 4200 converter
Axle/Gears: Ford 9"

Turn himself in? He is not on the FBI's most wanted. It is ignorance that prompts people to say things like you just said. What crime is it and can you please provide exact details or code enforement number about the law that was broken? How and where does he turn himself over to authorities? If he went to the local police station or called the FBI they would laugh and take him in for a psych evaluation. I agree there needs to be some answers provided but it is none of my business what the outcome is.
The Attorney General first would have to build a case they know they could win. They would need lots of complaints from consumers. Is it a Federal Crime or local? Give us more details in your "expert opinion".
In my eyes, this is a Tort case and in that instance the attorney's win the $$$$
Here are some Codes to use to tell us what law was broken.
Code/Description 187=Homicide 207=Kidnapping 207A=Kidnapping attempt 211=Robbery 211A=Robbery alarm 211S=Robbery alarm, silent 213=Use of illegal explosives 215=Carjacking 217=Assault with intent to murder 240=Assault 242=Battery 245=Assault with a deadly weapon 246=Shooting at inhabited dwelling 261=Rape 261A=Attempted rape 273A=Child neglect 273D=Domestic violence - Felony 288=Lewd conduct 311=Indecent exposure 314=Indecent exposure 374B=Illegal dumping 390=Drunk 390D=Drunk, unconscious 415=Disturbance 417=Person with a gun 417K=Person with a knife 419=Dead human body 428=Child Molest 444=Officer-Involved Shooting 459=Burglary 459A=Burglar alarm 459S=Burglar alarm, silent 470=Forgery 480=Hit and run - Felony (great bodily injury or death) 481=Hit and run - Misdemeanor 484=Theft 487=Grand theft= $950, or certain livestock 488=Petty theft value $950 501=Drunk Driving - Felony (great bodily injury or death) 502=Drunk Driving 503=Auto theft 504=Tampering with a vehicle 505A=Reckless driving 507=Public nuisance 510=Speeding or racing vehicles 586=Illegal parking 594=Malicious mischief 604=Throwing missiles 647=Lewd conduct 653M=Threatening phone calls
Yeah, I bet you wouldn't feel that way if it was you that got taken advantage of and shrugged off once your money is in the other person's pocket. Why the hell are you even bringing Police codes into the equation? Police merely enforce the law, and those are simply some of the massive plethora of codes they use.. all of which tell you absolutely nothing since they are merely codes for the sake of response time and clarity in reporting. They do not make the laws, and you know that. If you're really asking that question then you need to go look at the state and federal statutes on FRAUD and you'll see why this has the potential for so many problems for Bruce if an attorney got involved. The likelihood of him ever getting his hand slapped now is very minor since Tick has chosen to play nice (and it's probably not worth their expense at this current time unless something else pops up), but I guarantee you Bruce would have a multi-angled front of issues if anyone ever decided to persue some of his questionable business practices.. particularly for the chance of a class action lawsuit if customers got involved with the mix. Nobody is perfect as a seller, I can comfortably feel for him in that regard as that is something I can relate with. It's HIS job as a seller to accurately depict the product he is marketing, and you'de be a damn idiot if you thought what he did was an 'accident' ... because if that's the case, he should offer full compensation for EVERY SINGLE PERSON that comes forward and wants their money back on what they thought they were getting.

You bet your *** I'd let the attorney make bank on my case if it meant punishing the hell out of a person that swindles people for a living. Doesn't matter if it's $1 or $10,000; if someone is paying for something - they deserve exactly what they think they're getting and nothing less than that. Nothing pisses me off more than a thief taking advantage of honest people's hard-earned money.

I've actually seen this kind of thing happen quite a few times, and it's only a matter of time before you **** off the "right person" that has a massively deep wallet and short patience for getting screwed... and then you realize you should've never taken any of those people over because any meager profits you made are now negated ten-fold.

The point of this whole thing is this: People want what they're paying for. You don't advertise an item as something it's not, and in the event that you do make that honest mistake - you owe it to your customers to eat the expense and do the right thing because YOU made a mistake as a seller before the money even exchanged hands. That wasn't their (the buyers) fault, and that's certainly not something they should need to settle for less on simply because you made the mistake as a seller. The job of a seller is a whole lot more than just collecting money on people, and in this case - saying "sorry, I goofed! Thanks for your support/money!" isn't going to cut it.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by DeltaElite121
Yeah, I bet you wouldn't feel that way if it was you that got taken advantage of and shrugged off once your money is in the other person's pocket. Why the hell are you even bringing Police codes into the equation? Police merely enforce the law, and those are simply some of the massive plethora of codes they use.. all of which tell you absolutely nothing since they are merely codes for the sake of response time and clarity in reporting. They do not make the laws, and you know that. If you're really asking that question then you need to go look at the state and federal statutes on FRAUD and you'll see why this has the potential for so many problems for Bruce if an attorney got involved. The likelihood of him ever getting his hand slapped now is very minor since Tick has chosen to play nice (and it's probably not worth their expense at this current time unless something else pops up), but I guarantee you Bruce would have a multi-angled front of issues if anyone ever decided to persue some of his questionable business practices.. particularly for the chance of a class action lawsuit if customers got involved with the mix. Nobody is perfect as a seller, I can comfortably feel for him in that regard as that is something I can relate with. It's HIS job as a seller to accurately depict the product he is marketing, and you'de be a damn idiot if you thought what he did was an 'accident' ... because if that's the case, he should offer full compensation for EVERY SINGLE PERSON that comes forward and wants their money back on what they thought they were getting.

You bet your *** I'd let the attorney make bank on my case if it meant punishing the hell out of a person that swindles people for a living. Doesn't matter if it's $1 or $10,000; if someone is paying for something - they deserve exactly what they think they're getting and nothing less than that. Nothing pisses me off more than a thief taking advantage of honest people's hard-earned money.

I've actually seen this kind of thing happen quite a few times, and it's only a matter of time before you **** off the "right person" that has a massively deep wallet and short patience for getting screwed... and then you realize you should've never taken any of those people over because any meager profits you made are now negated ten-fold.

The point of this whole thing is this: People want what they're paying for. You don't advertise an item as something it's not, and in the event that you do make that honest mistake - you owe it to your customers to eat the expense and do the right thing because YOU made a mistake as a seller before the money even exchanged hands. That wasn't their (the buyers) fault, and that's certainly not something they should need to settle for less on simply because you made the mistake as a seller. The job of a seller is a whole lot more than just collecting money on people, and in this case - saying "sorry, I goofed! Thanks for your support/money!" isn't going to cut it.
This is well thought, intelligent and well written response. I agree with everything you said.
Class action suit are rarely worth the time and effort though. I was involved with one agasint Ford on my Taurus SHO. Cams were spinning at 60,000 miles and catastrophic engine failure were almost emminent. So the class action was filed and over close to 10 years including appeal the fight is over with no judgement. With all the people who went to the website who had cam failure the final count came to 1201.
I think the issue is Hawk's did sell some Tick products and I think he made some of his own. Before anyone goes any further maybe a post asking or showing some differences and which part was made by Bruce and what was made by Tick should be posted. I am sure by now someone knows they have a Bruce part and someone knows for sure they have a Tick part. Lets see the pictures.

Last edited by rarebmx; 07-13-2013 at 08:29 AM.
Old 07-13-2013, 10:21 AM
Supreme Member

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Car: 87 iroc-z
Engine: 454
Transmission: th350
Axle/Gears: 3.73

i think this whole thing is ridiculous. hawks commited and admitted they they commited FRAUD! a CRIME!!! not the first time either.
the only reason they are ALLOWED to be a sponsor here is for the money.
SHAME on the powers that be, to allow this to go on. how many more people will get screwed, mis-led? is it a crime for this site to endorse a company, who frauds people out of money? its like an accesory to a crime. you know its a crime, and do NOTHING about it. unbelievable.
how could this not have been handled in the first day or two?
today,... im ashamed to be a TGO member.

FRAUD is a crime. will TGO respond, or hold bruce's hand for more sponsorship money, and help promote this fraud, ?

pathetic, if you ask me.

actions speak louder than words.
Old 07-13-2013, 10:24 AM
Supreme Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Car: 1982 Recaro TA, 1989 TTA#948

Fraud! Attorney General!
You guys are getting a little carried away.
Old 07-13-2013, 10:47 AM
Supreme Member

Yes, we have been over this already and everyone understands.

Don't you think think the att gen is a bit much at this point?
Do you truly know what happened? Were you there?

I'd think the 2 companies should work this out. No reason for people on the net that have no idea of what happened behind the scenes go to this extreme.
It's great people are voicing their opinions but it would be nice if all the facts were presented by both sides 1st.

I'm fairly certain there are a few on here that are still bashing and they shouldn't be.

Last edited by TTOP350; 07-13-2013 at 01:58 PM.
Old 07-13-2013, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by redneckjoe
i think this whole thing is ridiculous. hawks commited and admitted they they commited FRAUD! a CRIME!!! not the first time either.
the only reason they are ALLOWED to be a sponsor here is for the money.
SHAME on the powers that be, to allow this to go on. how many more people will get screwed, mis-led? is it a crime for this site to endorse a company, who frauds people out of money? its like an accesory to a crime. you know its a crime, and do NOTHING about it. unbelievable.
how could this not have been handled in the first day or two?
today,... im ashamed to be a TGO member.

FRAUD is a crime. will TGO respond, or hold bruce's hand for more sponsorship money, and help promote this fraud, ?

pathetic, if you ask me.

actions speak louder than words.
You obviously think some "member" owns this site and is making $ to allow advertisers.
Money talks and is how people are motiviated or punished.
Old 07-13-2013, 11:15 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1992 z28/1992 RS heritage edition
Engine: 350 tpi, 305 tbi
Transmission: 700R4,T5
Axle/Gears: G92

Members do own the site....ever forum that is privately owned atleast one mod is a owner..
Old 07-13-2013, 11:42 AM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1971 Camaro
Engine: 427
Transmission: TKO600

I have not heard any complaints or issues with the hawk part being inferior or failing.

If I ordered one and it fit and worked, I would not be too concerned whose name was on it.
Old 07-13-2013, 11:59 AM
Supreme Member

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
Car: camaro sportcoupe
Engine: 7.0L
Transmission: G-Force GF5R
Axle/Gears: Moser 9"

Originally Posted by david068513
Members do own the site....ever forum that is privately owned atleast one mod is a owner..
Wrong. This site is owned by Internet Brands. Along with ls1tech and a number of others.
Old 07-13-2013, 12:04 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by mw66nova
Wrong. This site is owned by Internet Brands. Along with ls1tech and a number of others.
I knew ls1tech was. Didn't realize tgo went that way too.
Old 07-13-2013, 12:11 PM
Supreme Member

Dirk sold the site years ago.
Old 07-13-2013, 01:16 PM
Supreme Member

One time I ordered a Summit Brand Adjustable Proportioning Valve.

When I got it, I pulled off the summit sticker and under it the valve was engraved Wilwood.

I did not order a Wilwood prop valve.

Should I have sued?
Old 07-13-2013, 03:19 PM

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts
Car: 1985 Camaro IROC-Z
Engine: 350
Transmission: GForce T-5
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt 3.73 posi

Originally Posted by Johnny Blaze

When I got it, I pulled off the summit sticker and under it the valve was engraved Wilwood.

Should I have sued?
The difference though, is that Wilwood authorizes the sale of their prob valve as a 'summit' brand valve.

Tick's did not make Hawks' recent cylinder kits, nor did they authorize them to sell them as such.
Old 07-13-2013, 06:12 PM
Supreme Member

Dirk sold the site years ago.
Must have missed that sorry.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:52 PM
Supreme Member

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts
Car: 92 Firebird
Engine: Supercharged 6.0
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 8.8 3.73

I have not heard any complaints or issues with the hawk part being inferior or failing.

If I ordered one and it fit and worked, I would not be too concerned whose name was on it.
You missed the whole point of the debate

Should I have sued?
Depends,
Say you installed it and the first time the brakes were pumped it split in half. Who do you call to warrantee it out; Summit or Wilwood?

When Hawks sold their kits and slapped Tick's name, instructions and warrantee on them, who is responsible?
Old 07-13-2013, 09:18 PM

It is ignorance for someone not to one be able to read where I have already stated the two different kind of felony fraud Hawks committed, One is wire fraud by claiming that the product they were selling was a Ticks product not a hawks product on Hawks website. And the owner of hawks already admitted to this on this forum, Second felony crime Hawks committed was Mail fraud, In this case sending the Ticks lifetime warranty with the product threw the mail. that being usps, ups or fedex,
And my advice that the owner of Hawks get an attorney is very valid for the situation he has put himself in. And to turn himself in before even one person makes a complaint to the Attorney General. That is if one or more people haven't already filed a complaint.
And yes It is a federal crime not a local crime because it concerns people who have bean defrauded over state lines, And wire fraud is any fraud committed over the phone being land line or wireless device including the internet,
So before you accuse me of be ignorant, Maybe you should do some reading which I'm sure you did some just not enough. Other wise you would not have written such a reply.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:50 PM

Yes, we have been over this already and everyone understands.

Don't you think think the att gen is a bit much at this point?
Do you truly know what happened? Were you there?

I'd think the 2 companies should work this out. No reason for people on the net that have no idea of what happened behind the scenes go to this extreme.
It's great people are voicing their opinions but it would be nice if all the facts were presented by both sides 1st.

I'm fairly certain there are a few on here that are still bashing and they shouldn't be.
Yes I do think The Attorney Gen should be involved. Hawks should not be allowed to get away with defrauding his customers.
Between what Ticks has stated here and Bruce from Hawks has stated he did, yes I fully understand what happened. Do you really fully understand?
Maybe you wouldn't mind being lied to or defrauded, I guess its OK with you if someone sells you a product and you get something else, I would be really angry if someone sold me a product that was to have a life time warranty and then to find out not only was it not what I was supposed to have but to find out it does not have the Lifetime warranty also, But if it happens to you and your cool with it then Great. Good for you.
But for this to come to our attention And to Ticks this has had to of happened to at least one or more of Hawks customers where the product ended up being bad. I do not see why you believe this should be just between the two companies as you keep saying. Where is the voice for the people who have bought the product sold by Hawks. Do they not deserve to know they have bean defrauded? Do they not deserve justice?
Maybe the owner of Hawks will end up doing right and at least stand behind his product and give the same lifetime warranty he lead the customers he sold this product to believes they have.
Old 07-13-2013, 11:10 PM
Supreme Member

Car: GTA
Engine: 350 TPI
Axle/Gears: Aussie 9-bolt/3.27 posi

.....I also believe that Thirdgen.org should drop Hawks as an advertiser.
Yeah. Not dropping Hawk's could be viewed as TGO advocating Hawk's fraud.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:53 AM
Supreme Member

Yes I do think The Attorney Gen should be involved. Hawks should not be allowed to get away with defrauding his customers.
Between what Ticks has stated here and Bruce from Hawks has stated he did, yes I fully understand what happened. Do you really fully understand?
Maybe you wouldn't mind being lied to or defrauded, I guess its OK with you if someone sells you a product and you get something else, I would be really angry if someone sold me a product that was to have a life time warranty and then to find out not only was it not what I was supposed to have but to find out it does not have the Lifetime warranty also, But if it happens to you and your cool with it then Great. Good for you.
But for this to come to our attention And to Ticks this has had to of happened to at least one or more of Hawks customers where the product ended up being bad. I do not see why you believe this should be just between the two companies as you keep saying. Where is the voice for the people who have bought the product sold by Hawks. Do they not deserve to know they have bean defrauded? Do they not deserve justice?
Maybe the owner of Hawks will end up doing right and at least stand behind his product and give the same lifetime warranty he lead the customers he sold this product to believes they have.
I fully understand this 100% and have been on both sides of issues like this thru the years of selling speed parts / installing and being a customer. It sux all around.
I can honestly tell you, things can and do slip thru the cracks of a business, when that happens, you have to step up and make it right all around.

Between what Tick has posted and what Bruce has posted, I'd bet money your getting maybe a small% of the full true story.
If you want to base your decisions on that, then that's your right and fine by me.

No, I personally don't think the Att gen should be involved just yet, unless they can't get things squared away between them.
Step #1 is getting their relationship fixed.
If they can, great, then move on to step #2, that would be making things right with the customers.
If they can't fix things, then that just sux..
I'm sure they can and will add more steps as this goes along.
This has to go in steps to make sure things are corrected properly for both companies and their customers. (I'm fairly sure ALL customers and concerns will be handled properly in time)
People need to put their big boy pants on and learn to work things out without our mess of government getting involved.
I'm sure we can agree, the less they are in our lives the better, for all of us.
Old 07-14-2013, 01:40 AM

Between what Tick has posted and what Bruce has posted, I'd bet money your getting maybe a small% of the full true story.
If you want to base your decisions on that, then that's your right and fine by me.

People need to put their big boy pants on and learn to work things out without our mess of government getting involved.
I'm sure we can agree, the less they are in our lives the better, for all of us.
Well I did base my view on mainly what Bruce from Hawks said when he admitted to what he did,I waited to base my opinion until Hawks made there statement. What ever went on between Ticks and Hawks does not excuse Bruce's decision to sell his product as a Ticks product with there warranty, He probably would have sold close to the same amount if he listed it as a Hawks product, even with out the life time warranty. He may have sold more with the Hawks name on it, As some people would see the Ticks name and buy direct from them instead of a middle man.

Now most of the time I would not have the government get involved, But not everyone has the resources to get others to do what is right, I also believe that people need to be punished for doing wrong like Bruce the owner of Hawks did. So they would think twice before doing it again.
As a consumer I would hope that the companies I am dealing with will be truthful, ethical and moral, And would want there company name to be known as such.
I hope Hawks will do the right thing for all involved what ever that is. I hope they learned there lesson and will not do anything like this again. I'm sure the owner of Hawks is reading this to see where it is going. Lets see what he will do. Or what dose happen in the end.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:14 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Pocket
You missed the whole point of the debate

Depends,
Say you installed it and the first time the brakes were pumped it split in half. Who do you call to warrantee it out; Summit or Wilwood?

When Hawks sold their kits and slapped Tick's name, instructions and warrantee on them, who is responsible?
I always contact the vendor I purchaed from. Most companies will tell you that too. You go through the vendor for warranty claims not the manufacture.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:34 AM
Supreme Member

I always contact the vendor I purchaed from. Most companies will tell you that too. You go through the vendor for warranty claims not the manufacture.
Exactly and hawks won't warranty it. They were sending them to tick and telling them to fix for free and claiming it was their product.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:37 AM
Supreme Member

Exactly and hawks won't warranty it. They were sending them to tick and telling them to fix for free and claiming it was their product.
Do you know this for sure?
Old 07-14-2013, 11:11 AM
Supreme Member

They were?

I have yet to see anyone say they bought one and it failed.
Old 07-14-2013, 11:20 AM
Supreme Member

They were sending ticks warranty paperwork in the darn box with tick instructions and tick said on yb but they most likely have fixed some under warranty already. They also said the seals and such were different and could go bad faster with brake fluid wear. Get on yb and read.
Old 07-14-2013, 11:33 AM
Supreme Member

I read on YB about it.
1 adapter fitting seal and adapter fitting is different along with the block, hose, rod and rod end.

The tilton cyl is the same part.
The O ring on Hawks unit is just from a different suppler. Its just a guess by Tick that it may not be as good.
O rings will not last forever and the Orings don't care if you have a warranty or not, they'll die whenever they want to.
Old 07-14-2013, 01:32 PM

Car: 1989 RS
Engine: LS1 - HP Tuners Enhanced 2Bar OS
Transmission: T56 - Pro 5.0
Axle/Gears: 9 Inch - 31 Spl Tru-Trac - 4.11

I just found this (been a little busy trying to finish my swap). I deal with a lot of businesses, vendors and customers, professionally. A few years ago, I had a vendor that would spontaneously change components and deviate from the specification that we provided. They got two strikes from me; a reprimand, and then a termination and alternate supplier.

I've learned to handle my personal acquisitions and dealings in a similar fashion. I contacted the business in question at the beginning of my swap, and did not get a warm and fuzzy feeling in speaking with them. So, I took my business elsewhere. It was an easy decision, and no hard feelings for anyone involved.

There is an interesting phenomenon in a capitalist society, wherein everyone wants the highest quality product at the cheapest possible price. What some businesses have failed to grasp is that one aspect of quality is the purchase/transaction experience.

The invisible hand of Keynesian economics will be at play in this situation. The simple fact that there is so much blood in the water is undoubtedly enough to scare away potential/future customers.

The karma of economics is cruel.

My two cents...

I was kind of reminded of a Southpark epsidode

Last edited by 92 Formula; 07-14-2013 at 06:29 PM.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:26 PM

They were sending ticks warranty paperwork in the darn box with tick instructions and tick said on yb but they most likely have fixed some under warranty already. They also said the seals and such were different and could go bad faster with brake fluid wear. Get on yb and read.
......tick said on yb but they most likely have fixed some under warranty already......

They look totally different from what I have read. If I worked for a company repairing a product we made, I would notice any difference and would red flag it immediately. I seriously doubt they have had any come back.

I also agree with the post above, you do this kind of crap too many times you won't need to battle the Federal Gov't, you will need to find a Bankruptcy attorney instead. People will develop relationships in today's economy and losing any % is not good. Huge companies have gone out of business for these type practices so no one is above unhappy previous, current and future customers.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:37 PM
Supreme Member

They look totally different from what I have read. If I worked for a company repairing a product we made, I would notice any difference and would red flag it immediately. I seriously doubt they have had any come back.
tick also said that whenever they do a warranty, they have the customer send in the master only....both companies using tilton masters thus there would be no way of knowing.

hopefully when hawks is done with their "hiatus", this will be resolved.
Old 07-15-2013, 12:27 PM
Supreme Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Car: '89 RS, '89 Iroc
Engine: L03, LB9
Transmission: 700r4, T5
Axle/Gears: 2.73, 3.08

I read on YB about it.
1 adapter fitting seal and adapter fitting is different along with the block, hose, rod and rod end.

The tilton cyl is the same part.
The O ring on Hawks unit is just from a different suppler. Its just a guess by Tick that it may not be as good.
O rings will not last forever and the Orings don't care if you have a warranty or not, they'll die whenever they want to.
you're right, whether there is a warranty or not, parts will fail

the question is.......

Who should be responsible in replacing a part under warranty?

the company you bought the part from, or the company who's warranty info came with the product?
Old 07-15-2013, 01:43 PM
Supreme Member

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Car: 1986 Camaro Z28 IROC-Z
Engine: 350 Tuned Port Injection, for now.
Axle/Gears: Posi - 3.23

Originally Posted by Caveman305
you're right, whether there is a warranty or not, parts will fail

the question is.......

Who should be responsible in replacing a part under warranty?

the company you bought the part from, or the company who's warranty info came with the product?
If worst comes to worst and Hawks ceases all business and closes its doors, who will honor the non-genuine defective part???
Old 07-15-2013, 04:06 PM
Supreme Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Car: '89 RS, '89 Iroc
Engine: L03, LB9
Transmission: 700r4, T5
Axle/Gears: 2.73, 3.08

Originally Posted by Chevy86 IROC-Z
If worst comes to worst and Hawks ceases all business and closes its doors, who will honor the non-genuine defective part???
Nobody, a warranty is only valid if the company who gave the garuntee is still in business or the new owners honor it,

Tick had nothing to do with hawks new part, yet hawks put ticks warranty on it, people will think tick is responsible for warranty repairs, if tick turns them down....now they look like a bad business

All because hawks couldn't take the time to edit some things
Old 07-16-2013, 12:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1987 IROC Z28
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: TKO 600
Axle/Gears: 3.45 (G92 package)

I ordered from Hawks yesterday... and have numerous times in the past. Never a problem...

I agree that any kind of deceptive practice that is now angering everyone could have been worked out by being clear in the item description. With that being said, since no one has had any kind of problem with the product, this is an issue to be resolved between the two companies, Ticks and Hawks. If Ticks decides to bring legal action, Hawks, please deliver my latest order cuz I need them SFCs!!!

It's up to any of you from now on to decide if you want to buy from Hawks again. Where else can you find a site that is more friendly to our 3rd gens? Numerous times I could not find what I needed through major vendors so I resorted to Hawks. Other times I used his site as a reference to find SKU numbers and then found the part locally.

I will continue to buy from him when needed but will look closely at what I am buying. Looks like he's apologized and owned up to his mistake. I work for a general merchandise supplier that ships all over the world and problems like this happen all the time... my 2 cents...

Kent
Old 07-16-2013, 02:34 PM
Supreme Member

tick also said that whenever they do a warranty, they have the customer send in the master only....both companies using tilton masters thus there would be no way of knowing.

hopefully when hawks is done with their "hiatus", this will be resolved.
So the only part warrantied is the Master cylinder, which is not made by Hawks or Ticks.

Ticks probably just sends it to Tilton then too.

Sounds like less and lessss of a big deal too me.
Old 07-16-2013, 02:49 PM
Supreme Member

So the only part warrantied is the Master cylinder, which is not made by Hawks or Ticks.

Ticks probably just sends it to Tilton then too.

Sounds like less and lessss of a big deal too me.
please read all of the information presented.

tilton has a 3-6 month warranty on their product.

tilton has extended a lifetime warranty to Tick because of the QUANTITY they buy from tilton. so the only way to get a lifetime warranty on a tilton master is to purchase it through Tick.
Old 07-16-2013, 03:07 PM

Car: 1984 Trans Am WS6
Engine: Minirammed 385, 396 RWHP
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.73 Moser 12-bolt

Sheesh.

Y'know, after reading all this stuff, you know what I take from it?

I take it that there's a lot of people who like to jump on the bandwagon of making mountains out of mole hills and that doing business with the new typical third-gen owner is a hassle instead of fun. Heck, I'm tired just from trying to read through all this pseudo-investigational mock outrage which is hurting our hobby.

Mistakes get made. People are people. Business makes mistakes. Chill out and stop bitching so much. This isn't some sort of crime that needs to be prosecuted or anything like that. What you should be doing is asking one question: "Who is going to warranty the part if it fails?" It looks to me like the affected parties are sorting it out and all you are doing is making things worse by rehash and rebash.

It'd serve you all right if vendors dropped third-gen support altogether, simply because you are all so cranky and hard to deal with.

So there.
Let's move onto creating a thread about POSITIVE customer experiences for a change. I could use a bit of good news right about now. How about you?
Old 07-16-2013, 03:17 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by ws6transam
Sheesh.

I take it that there's a lot of people who like to jump on the bandwagon of making mountains out of mole hills and that doing business with the new typical third-gen owner is a hassle instead of fun. Heck, I'm tired just from trying to read through all this pseudo-investigational mock outrage which is hurting our hobby.

Mistakes get made. People are people. Business makes mistakes. Chill out and stop bitching so much. This isn't some sort of crime that needs to be prosecuted or anything like that. What you should be doing is asking one question: "Who is going to warranty the part if it fails?" It looks to me like the affected parties are sorting it out and all you are doing is making things worse by rehash and rebash.

It'd serve you all right if vendors dropped third-gen support altogether, simply because you are all so cranky and hard to deal with.

So there.
Let's move onto creating a thread about POSITIVE customer experiences for a change. I could use a bit of good news right about now. How about you?
This wasn't a mistake at all. The longtube incident and now this Tick incident is a clear indication of being a dishonest vendor,,, PERIOD. I don't need a degree in business to know a deceiving business owner when I see or read about one. First offense is a slap on the wrist (long tube header incident by Hawks). But a second offense???? No mistake there. Just a shady way to run a business.
Old 07-16-2013, 03:19 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by ws6transam
Sheesh.

So there.
Might I add, you are a 10 year member. Using profanity is not allowed.
Old 07-16-2013, 03:22 PM

Car: 1989 RS
Engine: LS1 - HP Tuners Enhanced 2Bar OS
Transmission: T56 - Pro 5.0
Axle/Gears: 9 Inch - 31 Spl Tru-Trac - 4.11

...the "new American way"; roll over and take it.

No thanks.
Old 07-16-2013, 03:48 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by abadv8
...the "new American way"; roll over and take it.

No thanks.
Old 07-16-2013, 04:45 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by abadv8
...the "new American Walmart way"; buy anything because its cheap, brag about it, then jump on the bash wagon because you didn't take time to research these made in china things.
Fixed it for ya

Uninformed lazy consumers are everywhere..
If people only knew how many parts from your local parts store are bought out by other companies and re-packaged then sold in different boxes with the paper work from the original company they'd flip out.
Who covers that warranty? Normally its the store you bought it from and they send it back to whichever manufacturer made it.
Old 07-16-2013, 04:47 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Chevy86 IROC-Z
This wasn't a mistake at all. The longtube incident and now this Tick incident is a clear indication of being a dishonest vendor,,, PERIOD. I don't need a degree in business to know a deceiving business owner when I see or read about one. First offense is a slap on the wrist (long tube header incident by Hawks). But a second offense???? No mistake there. Just a shady way to run a business.

Your 100% sure of this?
Old 07-16-2013, 04:51 PM
Premium Sponsor

Received 43 Likes on 19 Posts

Hi,
I wanted to make a post to clarify what I can at this time, first off as for the Warranty end of things IF I cannot get things worked out with Tick (which I believe I am going to be able to ) BUT just in case Hawks will provide the SAME LIFETIME WARRANTY Direct from our facility. Once I am able to work all out with Johnathan @Tick I would think he will make a post otherwise, so to clarify at this time HAWKS WILL WARRANTY the masters 100%.
On another subject, I completely understand how some customers on here are upset and never want to do business with Hawks again, but I do want to restate although what I did should have been handled TOTALLY different its not like I sat behind a desk and tried to figure out how I can deceive all of my customers with one or even two parts, and I will say again I made a mistake and am doing all I can to fix the mistake I made. Please understand no matter what you read or hear, I simply made the choices I made to GUARANTEE I had product in stock, simple as that. I will say for a third time , I handled it totally the wrong way and am working to fix that. The part itself is in no way less of a part than the Tick Master Cylinder which is a top notch part! I simply say that to ease the customer mind that it is not a inferior part , keep in mind we install these at our shop as well so for what reason would I make a inferior part??
On the Subject of the Stainless Steel Headers that we sale that are NOT MANUFACTURED BY STAINLESS WORKS, These were NEVER advertised as Stainless Works Headers, but this is not what this thread is about it is simply about my conduct as a sponsor and a business owner. On that fact I will take everything everyone has threw at me like a man and in doing so ask for one thing! IF you are someone on this board or another board for that matter that feels like he/she has been taken advantage of, ripped off, sold used items as new, been treated rudely, and or anything other than being satisfied from dealing with my company please prove your point and call or email me DIRECTLY and give me the opportunity to fix what YOU feel has been done wrong!
If I give you the service which you say you were shorted then let everyone on here no the outcome of your particular situation!
That is a HUGE door for me to open but in doing so along with other things you will see I am not the counterfeit crook some of you are making me out to be but simply a human that made a bad business decision and being as proud as I am that hurts to admit! Once I am given the opportunity to repair/or not repair what has been damaged, then you can truly come on this thread and say I am what ever you think I am, Some of the instances I am simply not aware of. When I read some of the comments I simply am not happy to what my market feels about my company and the 12 people that work here everyday. I feel in some instances I am being viewed as someone I am not . Before you can truly get a full true picture you need to understand how I and all of my employees feel about this business and the market we work in everyday.
Please keep your cool and think of it this way, I have been in business, mainly a third gen centered business for 14 years developed countless products, manufactured countless products and have grown more than I ever thought I would and have met some of the coolest people on the planet, why on earth would it make sense for me to jeopardize my complete reputation over a simple decision on a single product intentionally. Granted this situation seems so in many eyes to have done so and again I am working to make everything I have done correct as possible. I can assure you from now on ANY new product that is added to our site from here on out will get gone over with a fine tooth comb before being added to insure nothing like this ever happens again either on accident or on my judgement or decision (to clarify the master cylinder was on my decision, not on accident ). Please remember how many reproduction parts we have brought to market completely on our own WITHOUT any issues.
In closing I have said all I have said not to gloat, cry, or complain I simply am making a attempt to clarify the position in which Hawks stands and to clarify how much we appreciate our customers and there support and last to clarify where I stand with our past and future customers.

Sincerely,
Bruce Hawkins
864-855-2694 EXT 12
bruce@hawksthirdgenparts.com (direct email)

Last edited by hawksthirdgen; 07-16-2013 at 04:55 PM.

Quick Reply: Hawks thirdgen selling knock offs