Aftermarket Vendor Review Provide questions and comments about aftermarket part vendors for the Third Gen F-Body.

Any vendors that ship to Alaska?

Old 01-04-2014, 11:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: Camaro
Engine: 5.0
Transmission: 700R4
Any vendors that ship to Alaska?

Hello, new here and have some questions.

Looking for a vendor that sells replacement parts, and ships to Alaska at a reasonable rate.

1aauto does not ship, and Hawksthirdgen says my headline that is needed will cost $261 in shipping.

I do not have the car yet. Sometime this month I'll be picking it up and am very excited to have something to work on. There is not much to do around here in the winter, and cabin fever is setting in. However, the cost on shipping is killing my good feelings.

Most everything needed is small or not heavy, headliner, weather stripping (all of it) and perhaps the carpet and seats. Other than these and the rear brakes the car is great.

Thanks for any help.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:31 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Car: To many to list
Re: Any vendors that ship to Alaska?

I ship to Alaska and around the world. Large items like a headliner are going to be big $$$ no matter who u get it from. Let me know if I can help
Old 01-06-2014, 10:58 AM

Thank you for the response.

I was able to search, and found the article about refurbishing the headliner. Having not seen the car since summer and never seen the interior, I am going off what the guy is telling me. I do trust him though and my boss speaks very highly of him.

This has been my budget killer. Shipping costs on everything I need eats half my money. Good salvage yards are 220 miles away.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:12 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1985 Trans Am T-Top
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: T-5 5 Speed
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi 1LE 10 bolt

Sounds like you need some parts cars.
First , I wouldn't be ordering anything for a car you haven't seen yet. You may decide the priorities are different when you see the car.
Any us supplier will ship to Alaska, and if they use usps it shouldn't be too expensive.
Don't get bent out of shape about headliner shipping costs Weight is irrelevant. We all pay large shipping fees for big items. Just try and get them in one shipment so you can combine shipping costs. You will probably want to recover the existing headliner, even if it's heavily damaged, as it can be easily repaired to original condition and will fit much better than the abs junk. The junkyards in Alaska should be able to ship to you as well, yes?
If you live out in the sticks ,higher shipping costs are part of the deal, just like outrageous electric rates and high gas prices, though you prob don't have the high gas.
Maybe that's what the Permanant fund is for?
Old 01-07-2014, 08:36 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

We now ship internationally. If it's an in stock item we can ship it to you. We can ship weatherstrip up there.

We do not internationally ship upholstery, headliners and convertible tops, because they're drop ship items that are made on a per order.

If you add an item to your cart, our shipping company will give you a shipping quote. I'm pretty sure it also gives you the duty fee amount too.

Tony
Old 01-07-2014, 09:14 PM

Thank everyone.

Gas is very high here, and the PFD does not make up for the high prices. Even though I live eleven miles from the refineries.

The PFD is also on a rolling five year cycle depending on the market it what we are paid for an average. We have had a large influx of people in the last few years moving here because of the Alaska reality kick this country has been on. Resulting in high rent and lower PFD's.

Good to know that 1AA can ship somethings.

I read the article about salvaging the headliner yesterday. My wife is going to assist me with this project, and she was thinking about shellacking it for further water proofing; it rains allot in the later summer.

I did see the car in employee parking last summer, and from what I can recall it looked good. Several people that work there have been trying to purchase it from him.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:12 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1985 Trans Am T-Top
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: T-5 5 Speed
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi 1LE 10 bolt

On the headliner repair, most likely you will use fiberglass resin all over, that's as waterproof as it gets, no need coat with anything else. However, you will probably recoat with fabric, which will get waterlogged. No real way to waterproof that. Is this a ttop car? If you are worried about leaks, you have to fix the leaks or the headliner will be the least of your problems. Leaky ttops will trash your seats and rust the body as well.

Too bad about the Permanant fund getting cut, start the gold mine!
Old 01-08-2014, 08:43 PM

It is a t-top car, and I am repairing the leaks first.

I have a list of "needs" that the car has to have done; it isn't that long surprisingly.

My main goal is the handling, safety and restoration. No reason for adding power until it is ready.

If at all possible, I'm planning on keeping the TPI system. Not that carburetors are horrible; where my home is located in Alaska, we have temperatures in the -20 to -30+ range for 2-8 weeks out of the year. Just worried about the fuel not atomizing and flooding my engine.
Old 02-21-2014, 04:19 AM

Car: 88 Camaro RS
Engine: 305

You think Alaska is bad try living in Western Australia I have purchased parts from both Hawks and Modern Day Muscle and found the shipping rates and service very good. We are lucky to have a very good supplier Ponti- World Australia for a lot of parts.
Old 02-22-2014, 12:54 PM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Car: 90 RS 'Vert, 88 IROC-Z, 88 Firebird
Engine: 305 ci tbi, 305 ci tpi, 350 ci tpi
Transmission: WC-T5, WC-T5, 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.45, 3.27, 3.27

I ship worldwide too. Have fun with the restoration.

Lon Salgren