Aftermarket Vendor Review Provide questions and comments about aftermarket part vendors for the Third Gen F-Body.

wtf rockauto shipping charges

Old 03-03-2015, 09:29 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Car: 87 Formula/ 00 Xtreme
Engine: TPI 305/ v6
Transmission: struggling t-5/ 4l60E
Axle/Gears: 3.08/ 3.23
wtf rockauto shipping charges

To preface this, I have ordered tons of parts from RA and never an issue, great prices too.

This though, bothers me..

Looking to buy multiple parts, I add to cart, I grasp different locations.
As I add parts, locations change, costing more in shipping.
Add more, locations listed from different locations from cart change, locations from parts in cart change... wtf?

green arrow: end links and belt were shipped from 'A'. Added control arm(pink arrow), end links changed to 'C'.

blue arrow: added second control arm (showed not shipped from same location other), it ships from same location and end links change location.
Attached Thumbnails wtf rockauto shipping charges-wtf_ra.jpg  
Old 03-04-2015, 02:29 AM
Supreme Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: Vortec headed 355, xe262
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt 3.70
Re: wtf rockauto shipping charges

I read this a little closer...

I imagine they have some sort of algorithm to try to minimize shipping costs for both parties and many things may be available from multiple warehouses. I'd bet you they are trying to optimize it all somehow. I imagine their biggest complaint is shipping costs.

Last edited by InfernalVortex; 03-04-2015 at 03:58 PM.
Old 03-04-2015, 05:31 AM
Supreme Member

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Car: 88 IROC
Engine: 97 5.7 Vortec LT4 hotcam
Transmission: 700 r4
Axle/Gears: 3.73

I have had that happen before too. Very aggrevating when it changes, if Im not in a hurry I can usually keep messing around with it until it works out alittle better.
Old 03-04-2015, 06:03 PM
TGO Supporter

It just slightly chaps my ___ to have to play a 'shell game' to get parts to 'ship from the same location' when they obviously do but, location changes based on what you buy to add extra costs. Buying 2 of the same items (eg: end links shouldn't add 50% to shipping cost as well.

Jmo tho... RA is a great resource for parts and researching/cross referencing part numbers but, the shipping game, sucks.
Old 03-04-2015, 07:17 PM
Supreme Member

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Car: 88 IROC
Engine: 97 5.7 Vortec LT4 hotcam
Transmission: 700 r4
Axle/Gears: 3.73

It is also funny how once you do add that 1 part that changes things, you would think by removing it, everything would go back as before. Not always the case.

Im curious what the parameters are that it uses to estimate the boxes and shipping.
Old 03-05-2015, 02:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1996 Firebird Formula
Engine: LT1
Axle/Gears: 3.42

I've noticed this before myself, and it's mildly aggravating. You'd think they could just do flat rate shipping for a lot of it, save some money but oh well. Still beats having to go to the parts house more often than not.
Old 03-07-2015, 11:57 AM
TGO Supporter

Just for fun, compare to my above attachment.... my end links and a-arms are clearly marked as coming from two seperate warehouses (A & C).

My shipping confirmation shows (see attached)...

It may not be intentional InfernalVortex but, the error is certainly in favor of RA. Aside from that, some parts, from the same warehouse, vastly differ because the shipping options aren't the same across the board for all parts.

I also recarted the end links and control arms... now the control arms ship from separate warehouses... maybe it's how they assure the 5% is only an illusion of savings since the shipping is not discounted.

I may just be b---hing about nothing but, IMO, it's misleading the customer. (And yes, I do shop elsewhere frequently since RA doesn't feel the need to be honest with shipping location/pricing)
Attached Thumbnails wtf rockauto shipping charges-ra_shippingisbs.gif   wtf rockauto shipping charges-ra_shellgame.gif   wtf rockauto shipping charges-ra_retry.gif  
Old 03-07-2015, 12:41 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The whole site is an illusion of savings. A $3.12 washer tank cap, $8 shipping. On the scale they ship things, I imagine they get lower rates. I could ship it in a bubble wrap envelope for around $2-3. Then there was the pump and filter at a little over $3 to ship. More weight, bigger package, yet less to ship. Looking at the same exact part now and the price went up $6 and shipping went up a little over $2 overnight. Guess I'm glad I ordered when I did.
Old 04-17-2015, 03:03 AM

RockAuto is a site I like. I bought many times from them. But in terms of shipping, they don`t rock!

Last edited by billy2boy; 02-27-2017 at 08:49 AM.
Old 04-17-2015, 08:18 AM
naf
Supreme Member

Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts
Car: 1987 SC/1985 TA
Engine: 350/vortec/fitech
Axle/Gears: 3.27 9-bolt

At least you know what the shipping costs are up front. There's still several vendors out there that we have to deal with for specialty stuff that keep it a mystery until the part or the charge shows.

I, of course, have a garage fridge nearly covered in RA magnets.
Old 04-19-2015, 03:33 PM

Car: 1989 IROC-Z / T-Top -1987 GTA
Engine: 305 (LO3) _350 (L98)
Transmission: 700R4 _ 700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.73 L.S. - ???

Originally Posted by jacksons89
Did it come overnight?
he said the price went up overnight, not it was overnight shipping ...
Old 04-19-2015, 08:55 PM
jmd
Supreme Member

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts
Car: `86 SS / `87 SS
Engine: L69 w/ TPI on top / 305 4bbl
Transmission: `95 T56 \ `88 200-4R

I get frustrated with their shipping too.

I've tried adding all 5 listings of "same items" then all 6 of something else, and deleting those that didn't ship from the same warehouse, then the costlier ones.

It's just a pain.

That said, they do offer first class shipping and it comes in handy when you need something small but not that day.
Old 04-23-2015, 09:24 PM
TGO Supporter

Just to clarify, I did not start this as a 'bash Rockauto' post'.

I personally have had only one bad transaction with RA but, the shipping thing/shell game is something that chaps my _ss.

Despite my negativity of how they chose to screw customers on shipping, I do believe RA a great resource for being able to look up and cross reference parts and numbers.

There is no intention to bash nor praise RA, just buyer, be aware.
Old 04-23-2015, 10:56 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jacksons89
no response?
Sorry, missed the notifications on this. No, it was nearly a week in shipping. On another note, I guess there is *somewhat* of an explanation on the $8 charge for shipping. I agree that it is a good resource for parts, but shipping makes up for most of the savings.
Name:  IMG_0617_zps3e1ef6fe.jpg
Views: 4005
Size:  115.0 KB
Old 05-13-2015, 05:26 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1988 Camaro IROC-Z
Engine: LB9 (305 TPI)
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.73 Positraction

You have to play the shipping game when ordering from RA. I did a $1000 order a couple years ago for my 1988 IROC-Z, ordering pretty much everything to rebuild the LB9, new engine mounts, replacement interior parts, etc, and it took me several hours to shop around the site and keep the shipping down to 3-4 locations. Sometimes that means paying a little more for an item to have it come from the same shipping location as something else vs paying less for the item but significantly more in shipping. It is a pain, but can equal some big savings. I also ALWAYS shop around locally for parts first before resorting to RA. They're not always the cheapest, even with the discount (and I get 10% military discount at the big chains anyway). One thing RA does **** me off on is making you pay for their screw ups. I recently ordered front ball joints for my 88 MR2, and the ones they list DO NOT FIT. I had to pay for the return shipping for what is essentially their screw up. I can understand if I had the wrong part number, but being that their system insisted that that part would fit my car I feel like the error should be on them. I had to pay for the shipping once, they should pay for the error.

It's not the first time either, they have the wrong TV cable listed for EVERY car equipped with TPI (Camaro, Firebird, and Corvette). Their part numbers are for the TBI TV cable, although they DO carry the correct AC/Delco TPI cable (but has to be found by part number search). WTF RA? To be fair, all the big chains list the same wrong cables. Thankfully my old cable had the part number still legible on it!
Old 05-16-2015, 12:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 87 Iroc
Engine: modified 350
Transmission: high performance built 700R4
Axle/Gears: Strange S60 3:73

You think your wait time was long?I ordered an electronic antenna from Amazon it took three weeks to get.Now get this,it was shipped directly from China buy the U.S. postal service.I never seen that happen before.
Old 05-16-2015, 01:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC & ROLL-Z
Engine: L98 Vortec FIRST TPI
Transmission: T56, Mech Speedo
Axle/Gears: G92 J65 3.27

FWIW,

was able to get a good response to a question I asked a while ago that was along these guidlines.

RockAuto Customer Service

RockAuto FAQ
http://www.rockauto.com

Josh wrote:

Hello,
Not sure if this is the right place for this email.
Just wanted to say that I am a huge fan of the rockauto website. It’s been my “go to” autoparts store for a long while now. I absolutely love the combined shipping options.
I had an idea while searching the other day and thought I’d put it in writing.
When adding two or more parts from the same shipping location, the little truck symbol shows up with the same letter (letter A, B, C, etc…) in your cart. Not sure how hard it would be to make the letters show up in the parts catalog for additional parts that would ship together with the parts you currently have in your cart?
The little shipping truck icon shows up, however if you are shipping from more than one location, it does not specify which it will ship with in the parts catalog, only the cart. It would be nice for sourcing different groups of parts for a less expensive overall price.
Anyways, keep up the good work and thanks for the website.

Josh
This was the response I received;

Hello Josh,

Thank you for your email and patronage to RockAuto.com, it is much appreciated.

We have considered your proposed idea, but unfortunately it doesn't work well with our vast supply of inventory (over a million unique part numbers at over 100 locations). What happens is our system is always running an algorithm behind the scenes that will be putting together the order from the fewest number of locations at the closest distance to you. It can be that you have parts in your cart for warehouse A that is one location and then you add another part and while that part is not available at the current location A it can get all parts together from another location that has all the parts and then the letter A will be reassigned to the new location with all the parts. (I realize this can be a bit confusing)

The issue is that since the system is always moving parts around to different locations to save on shipping it would not be feasible to list the letter in the catalog too as it would always be changing. (I hope this makes sense).

Thank you again for your email and for choosing RockAuto.com for your automotive parts needs. Have a great day!

Thank you,

Benjamin
Honestly cant believe that anyone is complaining about shipping on RockAuto. Using their combined shipping options, I'd say they have killer shipping options.
Where else can you get over $100 worth of small parts in a huge box shipped for $10?

Last edited by Keoman; 05-16-2015 at 01:58 PM.
Old 05-18-2015, 12:24 AM
jmd
Supreme Member

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts
Car: `86 SS / `87 SS
Engine: L69 w/ TPI on top / 305 4bbl
Transmission: `95 T56 \ `88 200-4R

Exactly. When many vendors charge $14.95 for ground (but they're paying far less with bulk discount,) Rock gives pretty reasonable pricing.

As for the A,B,C,D, put yourself in the driver's seat. If you're ordering 1 balljoint, 1 axle bearing, and one oil filter, add every possible one you might order. Add all 3 possible balljoint listings you see. Add both listed axle bearings you see. Add every oil filter listed that you see that you might buy.

Then when your carshows
balljoint at shipping location A
balljoint at shipping location B
balljoint at shipping location C
axle bearing at shipping location C
axle bearing at shipping location D
oil filter at shipping location B
oil filter at shipping location E

Then, what they're telling you is you're not getting things shipped from one location. And you can't expect to get all 3 items shipped for $9 ground if they're coming from 2 locations. So place a separate order (1st class mail) to get the axle bearing the cheapest and order the other 2 ground.

It's not difficult. You just have to change your mind from being bitchy to solving problems.
Old 05-20-2015, 07:16 AM

It would be pretty great if RockAuto would offer free shipping like other auto retailer do.

Last edited by jackpamplet; 05-20-2015 at 09:53 AM.
Old 06-25-2015, 04:57 PM

Car: 89 GTA
Engine: 5.7
Transmission: 700r4

I stopped using RockAuto because their shipping system is broken. I live in the UK so sometimes shipping can get expensive, not sure if the same is for you guys local or international. But when i went to order my last bunch of items from RockAuto the system went full retard, the shipping from the different warehouses kept changing as i added the items to the cart ramping the shipping cost up, ok fair enuff.

But then this is where it really started to go crazy when i added all the items i needed in my cart the total came to XXX including shipping but the items were all over the place from different warehouses some were almost identical, but it was actually cheaper for me to order more of the same items, so if i ordered 4x left door handles & 4x bar links it made the items ship from the same warehouses as some of the other items making the shipping cost less, and therefore reducing the cost of the total for the parts as these were cheaper than the cost of the shipping. For me that was enough to go somewhere else.

Last edited by SuperPontiac; 06-25-2015 at 05:00 PM.
Old 06-25-2015, 06:37 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1988 Camaro IROC-Z
Engine: LB9 (305 TPI)
Axle/Gears: 2.73 Positraction

It's done that to me before as well. I always try to shop based on items coming from as few warehouses as possible, but there have been times where I will pick several items and put them in my shopping cart, all from the same warehouse, then the next item I pick from that same warehouse will somehow shift previous items to different warehouses. So even though everything SHOULD be coming from one location and was selected that way, it's suddenly coming from two or more (usually with a minimum of $10 shipping per location). It's aggravating to say the least, and stinks of hidden gouging.
Old 08-31-2015, 07:14 AM

Yes, I found their shipping system down sometimes as well. I love their discounts though. But usually, no other issues with RockAuto.
Old 03-07-2016, 06:01 AM

I find shipping really cheap with Autopartskart.com These guys dont use different warehouses, yet they provide all shipping options.
Old 03-07-2016, 08:35 PM
Supreme Member

Received 54 Likes on 45 Posts
Car: '87 IROC
Engine: 5.7 Vortec w/ factory TPI
Transmission: WC T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.45 Posi

Originally Posted by naf
I, of course, have a garage fridge nearly covered in RA magnets.
Ha ha as do I!

I will be the first to admit that I am a cheapskate... When I'm buying parts I take all of the factors into consideration, like how soon do I need it, price, etc. I buy 99% of my parts from rockauto and I have always saved money vs. the local chain store even without the RA discount and shipping factored in. When I rebuilt the front end on my DD pickup I was able to get better quality Moog parts shipped to me for less money then their store brand "Duralast" parts would have cost before sales tax.
Old 03-07-2016, 10:30 PM
Supreme Member

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
Car: '87 IROC
Engine: LB9
Transmission: TH700R4

Originally Posted by jharrison5
Ha ha as do I!

I will be the first to admit that I am a cheapskate... When I'm buying parts I take all of the factors into consideration, like how soon do I need it, price, etc. I buy 99% of my parts from rockauto and I have always saved money vs. the local chain store even without the RA discount and shipping factored in. When I rebuilt the front end on my DD pickup I was able to get better quality Moog parts shipped to me for less money then their store brand "Duralast" parts would have cost before sales tax.
I shop for parts like this as well; put it all in the cart and see what it'll cost including tax and shipping. However, price goes out the window if it's something that is no longer available or I just really need it.

I too have found that Rock Auto has the best prices. I used to buy plugs at sparkplugs.com until I found that Rock Auto carries the odd ball NGK's that I use.

One thing I wish that Rock Auto would sell is full strength coolant. I have specific favorites (Prestone isn't one of them) and I don't buy premix....why pay for half a gallon of water?
Old 03-09-2016, 10:39 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: '87 IROC-Z
Engine: TPI 5.7
Transmission: T-56

I'm pretty sure the reason those ABCDs move around is that the parts that you are looking at get sold then others of the same part at different warehouses get added to the inventory system as you are shopping.
Old 03-09-2016, 10:56 AM
Supreme Member

Received 83 Likes on 67 Posts
Car: 1989 Pontiac Formula 350
Engine: L98
Axle/Gears: BorgWarner 3.27 Posi

99% of the time I buy from Amazon. It's usually free 2 day shipping with Prime, and comes out cheaper than Rock Auto. Their return policy is great, so if something isn't right, no worries.

Sometimes I'll check eBay for a particular part. Got lucky and found a new ACDelco alternator for $55. Be resourceful, don't just stick to one parts place out of habit.