Aftermarket Vendor Review Provide questions and comments about aftermarket part vendors for the Third Gen F-Body.

BFGOODRICH TIRES

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2001, 12:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 GTA
Engine: L98 350
Transmission: 4L60
BFGOODRICH TIRES

I seen the add for the g-tech if you get four bfgoodrich tires. I am looking at buying a set.
COMP T/A ZR trea is 220 trac A tem A z-rated
G-force KDW trea is 300 trac AA tem A y-rated
G-force KDWS trea 400 trac AA tem A w-rated
g-force KD trea is 200 trac AA tem A y-rated

I guess what I am asking is how do they compare. I know that the ZR and probably the KD too would not last too long for spending about (low treadwear = soft but doesn't last as long) $1200-$1300 (cdn) for four instaled. What is your guys recommendation for the tires. This is all they offer for bfgoodrich in the stock size 245/50/R16. It is a daily driver (non winter). I want something that is gonna hook up good but also last for a little while. I was looking at the Bridgestone 730's but I guess these will do if they are throwing in a g-tech. Just wondering your preferences.
Darrell

------------------
1991 GTA L98
K&N Filter, Subframe Connectors, 3.73 Gears, Hypertech Airfoil, Ported Plenum, Underdrive Pulleys, Flowmaster Catback, no cats, Hypertech AFPR,Ed Wright Stage I Fastchip, and a 160 Thermostat.
Old 06-12-2001, 06:44 AM
Supreme Member

Car: '87 Camaro IROC-Z
Engine: 385 HSR
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi
Well, I got 37k miles out of my T/A ZR's, including drag-racing, tons of burnouts, and several days of road-racing. I bought another set a few months ago since I was so happy with their performance and life. These and the KD's are not all-season tires, so they don't do well in snow and ice (I've already tried unsuccessfully) and they harden up and lose their grip in colder temps (below 40 degrees F). I'm not sure if the KDW is an all-season tire, but it is more optimized for wet roads than the KD. I know the KDWS is an all-season tire, so which one you buy depends on if you need an all-season tire or not...

------------------
Greg Westphal
'87 IROC 305TPI/A4
Old 06-18-2001, 12:17 AM
Banned

well me persoanlly have had nothing but probs with BFG's...Have tried 3 lines of their tire and they were all sh!ty... I have Firestones now and they outperform them grossly...
Old 06-18-2001, 11:27 AM
Supreme Member

Car: '87 Camaro IROC-Z
Engine: 385 HSR
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi
Sounds like you tried the wrong models. My Comp T/A ZR's lasted almost twice as long as my friend's Firestone SZ-50's, and I drive my car harder than his (longer burnouts, road-racing, etc.). My wife had problems with Firestones on her Contour, not to mention the problems with the Wilderness AT tires, so I'm not sure I'd trust anything Firestone produced.

------------------
Greg Westphal
'87 IROC 355TPI/A4
Old 06-20-2001, 08:16 AM
Supreme Member

I've got the BFG g-Force KDW and I have no big complaints. They are certainly not the best on the market but overall fairly descent. But Darrell, take a look at www.tirerack.com, they got rating and reviews on there. I used their site to do some research before I bought mine and I found them to be very helpful.

------------------
1987 Camaro IROC-Z
350 TPI (L98), HyperTech Airfoil, K&N Filters and modified airboxes, modified MAF, AC Delco RapidFires, Taylor SpiroPro 8mm wires, Energy Suspension polyurethane bushings for LCA and sway bars, KYB struts and shocks, BFG g-Force Z-rated tires, STB, JET low temp stat, CarSound Hi-flow Cat, DynoMax 3" Mandrel-bent pipes, Flowmaster muffler, 3" chrome tailpipes, T-tops, and White exterior with red leather interior.

2001 Sunfire GT
Bone stock 2.4L, 5-speed, 200W Monsoon Sound System (8 speakers), Silver Metallic exterior with grey interior.

Web: http://www.angelfire.com/on3/whitelightening
Old 06-24-2001, 11:56 AM

Car: 1991 GTA
Engine: L98 350
Transmission: 4L60
Hey Guys....It doesn't matter anyways, because I got a hold of the Canadian side of bfgoodrich and its an American promo only anyways. So I guess I will be getting 4 Bridgestone Potenza RE 730's or 4 Firestone SZ50 EP's. Their loss. Tires will be about roughly the same price. So I will probably get a better tire, just no gtech thats all. No big deal.

------------------
1991 GTA L98
K&N Filter, Subframe Connectors, 3.73 Gears, Hypertech Airfoil, Ported Plenum, Underdrive Pulleys, Flowmaster Catback, no cats, Hypertech AFPR,Ed Wright Stage I Fastchip, and a 160 Thermostat.