Aftermarket Vendor Review Provide questions and comments about aftermarket part vendors for the Third Gen F-Body.

BigBrakeupgrade.... AGAIN!!??

Old 05-15-2016, 07:20 PM
Supreme Member

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts
Car: '87 FIREGOOSE!!!!
BigBrakeupgrade.... AGAIN!!??

Well it does say a lot about someone when again and again and again people post their experiences about Scott (bigbrakeupgrade). I always had brakes on my wish list for years, but admittedly it was always Baer I daydreamed about. If fact that was always my joke I'dd say, "we all dream about about Baer, but have nightmares about Baer prices"
Ok, just a little joke, we all know Baer makes killer stuff, fact.
Well after always reading the neverending posts about Scott and his kits I found myself on his website more and more often. I finally decided to throw him an email and start a conversation about choices.
Scott is a straightup standup nice guy with knowledge and a true passion for these kits.
He guided me into a front/rear kit perfect for me and even talked me DOWN from some of the more pricey kits after he felt me out in our conversations to help me stay in budget. I mean who else does that??? That is top notch, helping the person stay in budget after they start to get caught up in the aftermarket toy buying game.
I sent him payment easily, and recieved constant updates on progress and shipment info. He even sent me the fedex updates even with my fedex link anyway. The kit arrived packed ridiculously good, something also hugely appreciated.
And the kit looks fantastic!!!!!!
So does Baer make great kits that look great?? Your damn right they do. But does Scott offer Great kits that look just as great? Your damn right he does!!!! And you can do it easier ($). Scott offers kits for many budget levels so anyone on here looking for a kit can find one.
If your looking for brakes for your car but always have been putting it off, or are just due for that upgrade, you just cannot go wrong dealing with Scott.
Once I get them on I'll post up about the change. After all the little (and bigger) things we do to our cars, alot of us seem to leave brakes farther down the list.... but we all know the stock brakes don't work as good.. lol. Oh well, at least from here on out my car will have brakes that I can use in an emergency situation with piece of mind. (but hoping I never get in a situation - knock on wood).
Contact Scott folks.
Old 05-16-2016, 06:19 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Car: 1986 IROC Z-28
Engine: 383 Gen I SBC 11:1
Transmission: Rebuilt TH700R4 for 500+HP
Axle/Gears: 4th Gen 10 bolt Eaton Truetrac 3.23
Re: BigBrakeupgrade.... AGAIN!!??

Last edited by UltRoadWarrior9; 05-16-2016 at 06:31 PM.
Old 05-17-2016, 04:42 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: '86 Camaro, '94 Camaro, 3 others
Engine: LG4 ->L29, L32->LR4, L36, LG4, L31
Transmission: 700R-4, T5WC, 4L80E, SM465, 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.42, 3.23, WTB/WTT 2.93

I always laugh every single time i see someone trying to use any "kit" to do any big brake upgrade. On that 83 rx7 i did last year, first i found affordable used Brembo 4-piston calipers on ebay, then researched what thickness of rotors they were for. Then i researched all available automotive rotors with that spec.
Next is the hat height, and making sure they will fit over the hubs. After all that, then you can worry about center bore and lug pattern, those are easiest to change if necessary.
After all the necessary new parts are on hand, it is super easy to figure out and fabricate your own adapter mounting brackets to fit the calipers to your spindles once the rotors are secured on the hubs.
Old 05-17-2016, 04:43 PM
Supreme Member

Also, why spend hundreds for something that does not need to cost even 50?
Old 05-17-2016, 05:49 PM
Supreme Member

Well a lot of people do buy kits, even Baer sells lots. Enough to stay in business. There are many many businesses out there offering services to the aftermarket that just keep on running.
I just posted a few thoughts on one of them. And Scott will keep selling them and making customers satisfied and happy, as his trackrecord speaks.
Old 05-17-2016, 06:13 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Car: 1986 IROC Z-28
Engine: 383 Gen I SBC 11:1
Transmission: Rebuilt TH700R4 for 500+HP
Axle/Gears: 4th Gen 10 bolt Eaton Truetrac 3.23

Yeah, Scott will work with you. You have to realize everyone's level of mechanical ability is different, and brakes are no joke, especially custom so some people worry. Me, I didn't want to hassle with the details. Also, you have to realize, the different rear axle setups and building stuff for all that...

For my 2015 Corvette base brake conversion, I got his custom spindles and hubs for a reasonable price. Later on I got his parking brake adapters which I installed everything myself as I'm auto tech by trade.

Everything went on with little trouble, and I'm enjoying supporting a guy/company that owns and supports thirdgen camaro/firebirds because he himself owns one.
Old 05-24-2016, 07:53 PM

Car: 1988 IROC Camaro (RHD)
Engine: 350 ci L98 SBC
Transmission: T700
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt BW, Disk, Posi-traction

I bought the LS1 front kit from Scott and it was great.

Came assembled in a very heavy box. Everything was new and assembled. New bearing, disks, callipers etc.

Just need to undo the brake lines, spindle bolts and tie rod ends and it's ready to drop in.

Highly recommend Scott.
Old 05-28-2016, 03:46 AM
Supreme Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: '91 Camaro RS
Engine: F1R Procharged 383
Transmission: Tremec 600
Axle/Gears: moser 12 bolt, 4.11's 33 spline axl

Originally Posted by cosmick
Because you can get all the right parts, the first time, with no running around, no headaches, and everything is beautiful and powder coated.

I've done lots of fabrication, but part of this game is knowing when someone does it better than you, and even if they don't, if your time is worth more than the effort it would take to pull all the stuff together yourself.

There's also the expertise of knowing exactly which caliper/rotor combos fit which cars with which wheels, etc.

Can you source all the parts and hardware a little cheaper yourself? That depends, how much is your time worth?

That being said, the c5 brakes are one of the best things I've done to this car in a long time. Now it goes fast and it stops.
Old 05-29-2016, 12:30 AM
Supreme Member

Received 314 Likes on 257 Posts
Car: 89RS vert
Engine: Erod
Transmission: 4L65e
Axle/Gears: BW, 3.27

Exactly, I got a lot of help from Scott with a recent order.Very pleased with his service & work.Theres value in my time & Scott saved me quite a bit.
Old 05-31-2016, 09:18 PM

Car: 1998 Trans/Am, 1989 RS Camaro
Engine: LS1, LQ9 6.0
Transmission: 4L60E, 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 2.73, 2.73

For $200 shipped I got New turned down hubs with longer studs, precision cut brackets, and the hardware.

The time it takes to track down the parts, Get measurements and probably screw up the first few tries its way more cost effective to just buy the kit. If its going to take me 3 days plus driving to the machine shop, metal store, and fastenall im just going to buy the crap and move on.
Old 07-08-2016, 08:55 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Car: 1988 Trans Am
Engine: 6.0L LY6 (Vortech Supercharged)
Transmission: Tick Performance T-56
Axle/Gears: 3.42

I always laugh every single time i see someone trying to use any "kit" to do any big brake upgrade. On that 83 rx7 i did last year, first i found affordable used Brembo 4-piston calipers on ebay, then researched what thickness of rotors they were for. Then i researched all available automotive rotors with that spec.
Next is the hat height, and making sure they will fit over the hubs. After all that, then you can worry about center bore and lug pattern, those are easiest to change if necessary.
After all the necessary new parts are on hand, it is super easy to figure out and fabricate your own adapter mounting brackets to fit the calipers to your spindles once the rotors are secured on the hubs.
People are either lazy or stupid...
Old 07-08-2016, 09:29 PM
Supreme Member

Received 212 Likes on 160 Posts
Car: 1989 Trans Am GTA
Engine: LT1, AFR 195cc, 231/239 LE cam.
Transmission: M28 T56
Axle/Gears: 3.23 10bolt waiting to explode.

I will bump for Scott again. I read all the materials, I saw the instructions. But ultimately I do not have a machine shop to create some of the fabbed parts. And I certainly don't have whats needed to re-drill the up-rights to accept the new parts. It wasn't a risk I was willing to take.

Scott made it extremely easy to convert my thirdgen brakes to C5 12.8x1.26" rotors.

Every part was new, bearings, cotter pins, castle nuts....etc. It went together easily and quickly. I've flogged the brakes pretty hard at times.

I feel the money I spent with Scott was well worth it. Both from a performance standpoint, and his customer service.
Old 07-09-2016, 06:07 AM

I bought a LS1 kit from Scott and was very happy with the deal. Good guy to deal with.
Old 07-09-2016, 07:38 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Car: 87 IROC
Engine: L31 350
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 4.10 D44

Originally Posted by monkey-leader
People are either lazy or stupid...
Using you logic: Have you ever paid a shop to do something? Were you (1) lazy or (2) stupid?

x2 on 383backinblack's comments above... Because there is a third option:
(3) Their time is worth more than the money it costs to pay the expert for a bolt-on/turn-key package.

I paid someone to bend up the exhaust system under my car. Why? Because they have a lift, mandrel bender, TIG welder, and were able to get it done in (less than) a week while I was at work earning more than I had to pay them.
Old 07-09-2016, 04:54 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 91 G92 Z28
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 342

I feel like a moron. For years I've been paying Dominos to make my pizzas.
Old 07-09-2016, 06:15 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by greenyone
Lol, one of the best comments I've read. Lol
Old 07-09-2016, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by MoJoe
Using you logic: Have you ever paid a shop to do something? Were you (1) lazy or (2) stupid?

x2 on 383backinblack's comments above... Because there is a third option:
(3) Their time is worth more than the money it costs to pay the expert for a bolt-on/turn-key package.

I paid someone to bend up the exhaust system under my car. Why? Because they have a lift, mandrel bender, TIG welder, and were able to get it done in (less than) a week while I was at work earning more than I had to pay them.
I'll choose not to take that as the shot that it was.

I can afford to go out and buy a lot of things. Like a way better platform than a third gen. The only reason I bother with modifying this car is because I enjoy doing it.

Not that the kits aren't good. I contemplated buying the hubs. Unfortunately, shipping to Canada makes them a bad deal. Also, I'm running better calipers up front (Brembo 18Z mono-block) and am not sure the bracket would work. Also, if you're going to spend money, might as well get the KORE3 billet hubs?

As for exhaust, the time it takes to make dual straight pipes with downspout is like 45 minutes tops. And a mig welder will work fine.

Originally Posted by greenyone
Its not delivery, it's Delissio!
Old 07-09-2016, 09:26 PM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Car: '91 Camaro Z28
Engine: L31 5.7
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt, 3.73

I can also vouch for the quality of Scott's work. Working on swapping in a set of the LS1 spindles and hubs (installing C4 calipers and rotors though). Scott's a very pleasant guy to work with too, excellent customer service and responded to my one question in minutes.

If you have the time and patience you can always find great deals part picking. But I'm trying to have the brakes done by the end of the month. Plus, I wouldn't trust myself with a tap and die set, at least not without a lot of practice.
Old 07-10-2016, 07:32 AM

I'll choose not to take that as the shot that it was.
My comment was no more a shot at you, as yours was toward everyone who's paid BBU.

I can afford to go out and buy a lot of things. Like a way better platform than a third gen. The only reason I bother with modifying this car is because I enjoy doing it.
Exactly. Most/all of us are here because we enjoy our third gen cars as a hobby. Otherwise, we'd would go buy the newest, most powerful, most fuel efficient, most feature laden new car that fit our check list, or even a newer used car if on a tighter budget.

Back on topic: I pieced together a C4HD front kit, but paid to have the spindles done ($$ for the skill and tools to do it quickly and correct the first time), and for Kore3 aluminum hubs (BBU is making them now, too). So, a mix and match of bargain hunting and hiring out.
Old 07-22-2016, 05:44 PM

This was my experience with this "DEAL".

I bought these in the end because new 1LE rotors cost a mint up here (75$ each). Guess I should read the fine print.

- The guy uses the standard rotors to make the hub. So, no oversized 1LE bearing See: the whole reason I ordered these.
- The bearings are not included.
- They weren't even painted.

I kind of regret listening to these threads. I literally could have went to the scrap got two standard rotors for 5 bucks, and had them machined in an afternoon, instead of waiting over a week to get something other than expected.

On the other hand the hubs fit well (I think? No bearings) and I'll probably use them. Begrudgingly.

Last edited by monkey-leader; 07-22-2016 at 05:50 PM.
Old 07-23-2016, 07:19 AM
Supreme Member

Maybe I should be posting every time I create another new big-brake setup? Right now I'm piecing one together for the front of my LoCost7, which is using the IFS from a '69 Opel Kadett, which had drums, I'm using new Mini Cooper Clubman Works 12.4" drilled and slotted rotors ( $8 each on closeout from rockauto ) with red PowerStop calipers for a '90 Accord, $ 80 / pair, new, and I'm doing the Explorer rear axle under my '87 S-10 with new front rotors for an '80 'vette with the calipers for a '77 Eldorado.
This stuff can be done in your driveway, carport, or garage, using common tools from WalMart or Harbor Freight, with cheap success, and it is not difficult. I think you guys just need to watch videos of how I do it. Then you can do it too.
Old 07-25-2016, 12:56 AM

Car: 1998 Trans/Am, 1989 RS Camaro
Engine: LS1, LQ9 6.0
Transmission: 4L60E, 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 2.73, 2.73

This was my experience with this "DEAL".

I bought these in the end because new 1LE rotors cost a mint up here (75$ each). Guess I should read the fine print.

- The guy uses the standard rotors to make the hub. So, no oversized 1LE bearing See: the whole reason I ordered these.
- The bearings are not included.
- They weren't even painted.

I kind of regret listening to these threads. I literally could have went to the scrap got two standard rotors for 5 bucks, and had them machined in an afternoon, instead of waiting over a week to get something other than expected.

On the other hand the hubs fit well (I think? No bearings) and I'll probably use them. Begrudgingly.

Some one tell me the benefit of the bigger bearings... They arn't going to make the car handle any better or stop any faster.
Old 07-25-2016, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by Brando5641
Some one tell me the benefit of the bigger bearings... They arn't going to make the car handle any better or stop any faster.
They handle higher loads, and are more tolerant to heat. May become an issue with 305 wide tires up front.
Old 07-25-2016, 08:42 AM

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts
Car: 1985 Camaro IROC-Z
Engine: 350
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt 3.73 posi

I thought you have to use regular rotors to make the hubs for the LS brakes conversion because of the offset with the bracket?

You use the 1LE rotor to make the hub for the C4HD conversion.

Last edited by Manic Z; 07-25-2016 at 10:32 AM.
Old 07-25-2016, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Manic Z
I thought you have to use regular rotors to make the hubs for the LS brakes conversion because of the offset with the bracket?

You use the 1LE rotor to make the hub for the C4HD/1LE conversion.

OK, in that case the guy either made a mistake or screwed me over. Because I told him I was running a C6/14" rotor...
Old 07-25-2016, 12:27 PM
Supreme Member

Plus 1LE hubs are thicker, so they don't crack.
Old 07-25-2016, 06:35 PM

Received 73 Likes on 36 Posts

OK, in that case the guy either made a mistake or screwed me over. Because I told him I was running a C6/14" rotor...

Jon, Clearly I could be offended by this comment if it were true ( a customer linked me to this ) I would just like to clear the air here. For 14 years I have offered parts and kits for the third gen, not once was I ever charged with "screwing someone over" I would rather not do business than let a rumor like that fester. As I explained in our correspondence, the C6 14" Z06 kit uses std hubs, never was there a mention of 1LE hubs prior to your post here,... actually the only thing you mentioned was that you were trying to mate Porsche calipers to the 3rd gen
I would ask that you agree to let me post our conversation here so that all can see that no one is being "screwed over or that no mistake was made"
If you would rather return your purchase I`d be happy to refund it rather than you being upset that you could have gone to a scrap yard and gotten the same thing, which is also incorrect. New hubs and new studs are not found at scrap yards, contact me if they will not work for you, I can make 1LE hubs and would be happy too if thats what you need, obviously as you pointed out they cost more and take longer to machine and as other have brought to your attention have more offset than the std hub.

If there was a mistake it was not mine but I`d be happy to help you get what you need.
Old 07-25-2016, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by BBU.COM
the C6 14" Z06 kit uses std hubs, never was there a mention of 1LE hubs prior to your post here
And this is why it can be worth while in time, trouble and money to pay someone for their product, expertise, and customer service.

I spent a lot of time researching, maybe saved a few bucks piecing together a kit, in order to get a C4HD kit with the exact options I wanted. I definitely would have been time ahead, and even money, to call Scott and buy a "turn key" kit.

Thanks, Scott for making products for third gen Camaros and Firebirds.
Old 07-25-2016, 10:21 PM
Supreme Member

How the F*ck has this thread gone onto the routes it has????
I made a thread stating my very positive experience with dealing and purchasing with Scott. Even this weekend he took the time to answer some of my questions and help me out.... yes after my purchase was done months ago. He IS a stand up person and sells products that YES people buy and are happy to buy. Read through all the positive comments found all over this board.
Old 07-26-2016, 06:16 AM
Supreme Member

Great shirt, except the car is lowered.
Old 07-26-2016, 06:21 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by MoJoe
And this is why it can be worth while in time, trouble and money to pay someone for their product, expertise, and customer service.

I spent a lot of time researching, maybe saved a few bucks piecing together a kit, in order to get a C4HD kit with the exact options I wanted. I definitely would have been time ahead, and even money, to call Scott and buy a "turn key" kit.

Thanks, Scott for making products for third gen Camaros and Firebirds.
Brackets can be fabricated to position any calipers to fit with any combination of hub and rotor, you just have to adjust your wheel specs to compensate. If you want to pay for brackets to fit C6 Z06 rotors on 1LE hubs, you could ship me your parts and I can make brackets, then ship you your parts plus new brackets.
Scott might be doing a good business, he may have a shop all set up with CNC machinery all set up to mass-produce his existing products. But for one-offs, all that stuff doesn't really help, BTDT.
My friends at Reed's Precision Machine are used to my strange requests, and they always get it right, at the promised price.
Old 07-26-2016, 08:05 AM

If you want to pay for brackets to fit C6 Z06 rotors on 1LE hubs, you could ship me your parts and I can make brackets, then ship you your parts plus new brackets.
Thanks for the offer. I have a metal band saw that, I think, can handle it. I dont know about any offset stuff though. Might be cheaper to have it done locally...
Old 07-26-2016, 05:08 PM
Supreme Member

It was more saying it wasn't that hard than actually wanting the work. That's not the combination of parts I'm doing to mine, but I'll be offering adapters for whatever I end up using.
I still have my heart set on 18x10.5" wheels and Brembo 4-piston fixed calipers, and the biggest, cheapest rotors I can make work, hopefully something like 14.4" diameter. But only recently have I had any real hope of affording it and having time to do it.
Old 08-01-2016, 01:56 PM
Supreme Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: '91 Camaro RS
Engine: F1R Procharged 383
Transmission: Tremec 600
Axle/Gears: moser 12 bolt, 4.11's 33 spline axl

There a re a lot of butt-hurt weenies in here. Some of you should spend more time learning to be smarter, and wrench better.

Scott, keep doing you, brother. The brake kit you put together is one of the easiest, simplest, most complete, best-fitting aftermarket setups I've ever used.

I've fabricated an endless array of parts for the race car that weren't available, and spent hundreds if not thousands of hours trying to find them or find people who knew where they might be. If that's not worth it to you, then you're beyond help.

We need more guys like Scott, and less guys who want to fight them on the internet because they didn't express their needs coherently and hence didn't get exactly what they needed.
Old 10-20-2016, 02:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 88 Z28
Engine: 383
Transmission: Richmond 5 speed
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt 3.70

I just purchased a 5th Gen Brembo hubs, brackets, and bolt kit from Scott only to discover during the mock up that the calipers hit my new US Mag Ramblers 18" wheel due to the offset of these wheels. I contacted Scott and he immediately made a set of brackets, sent me bolts and banjo fittings for the LS brake set up that will fit my combination. I appreciate dealing with a straight up guy who went above and beyond to help me with a problem that I created.
Old 11-24-2016, 11:25 AM
Supreme Member

I respect Scott, because I know what it takes to turn a weekend project into a real business.
But I'm bothered that people are so eager to spend an extra hundred dollars, which I still believe most third generation enthusiasts can't afford, for a kit. Especially a kit that seems to be priced high enough for the producer to have it be their means of becoming wealthy.
I could offer kits at a lower price and live comfortably off them, but that kills the fun of creating a new solution to each new problem. Same reason no-one likes any job where you do the same mindless task over and over all day every day. Gimme the one-off every time.
Old 11-24-2016, 11:27 AM
Supreme Member

Besides, anyone can bolt kits to a car, where's the joy? There's a good pride in creating your own.
Old 11-24-2016, 11:54 AM

Car: 88 Z28
Engine: 383
Transmission: Richmond 5 speed
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt 3.70

That's what I love about this site. Whether you have more time than money or vice versa there are solutions to fit all budgets. Hats off to a guy who saw the need and created the solution. Thats American ingenuity at work!
Old 11-24-2016, 01:57 PM

Besides, anyone can bolt kits to a car, where's the joy? There's a good pride in creating your own.
As has been stated many times: Because people have different amounts of time, money, and skill. Some people know their limits. Those with more money than time (or skill) will pay for the parts and/or service.

There is joy in getting a shiny new part, and bolting it on. My car is uniquely my own when I bolted on the C4HD/LS brakes, even though it was just "bolt on". Not EVERYTHING must be personally fabricated.

Why do you need to call on Red's Precision Machine? Can't you make that part yourself?
Why did you buy a fender? Why didn't you get an english wheel, learn how to use it and make your own fenders? Any idiot can bolt on a junk yard fender! Where's the joy in that?
Why did you buy a blower? Can't you smelt your own aluminum and forge one all by yourself? Where's the joy in buying a preassembled blower?
Are you going to bust someone's stones because they don't line-hone their engine block themselves?
(Facetious to make my point.)
Where is the line between "it's OK to buy the part, or pay for the service" and "you must DIY".
Old 11-24-2016, 06:22 PM

I'm 100% happy with the LS1 front brake complete setup I got from Scott. Well worth the money and if Scott makes a buck for his efforts - he deserves it.

100% recommend Scott from BigBrakesUpgrade.
Old 01-16-2017, 07:29 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 IROC
Engine: 6.8 HSR N2O
Transmission: TKO 600
Axle/Gears: 9" Moser 3.50 True trac

Originally Posted by peterc005
I'm 100% happy with the LS1 front brake complete setup I got from Scott. Well worth the money and if Scott makes a buck for his efforts - he deserves it.

100% recommend Scott from BigBrakesUpgrade.
Agreed, same experience here. Yes, anything can be fabricated and everyone has different needs/wants. I chose to let Scott figure out his part and I did mine. It still stops a heck of a lot better than stock and didn't cost a fortune. Plus, those 12" rotors look way more appropriate than those 10.5's ever did. +1 for Scott and Big Brake Upgrade. Been there- got the t-shirt!