Aftermarket Vendor Review Provide questions and comments about aftermarket part vendors for the Third Gen F-Body.

Blueprint Engines

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 01:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blueprint Engines

This is a warning to stay away from Blueprint engines. In summary, Blueprint Engines did not honor their labor commitment in their warranty. Blueprint engines did not communicate to me in a professional or timely manner; I had to reach out to them every time to get an update.

I purchased a Blueprint engines crate engine (BP35512CT1) from Summit racing in 2015. I went with Blueprint because of the warranty and the horsepower ratings (402hp). I had a professional shop do the entire installation, and made sure that all the installation and break-in procedures were followed. Furthermore, all maintenance procedures have been followed.

When I got the car dynoed by a reputable/esteemed local race shop, the wheel horsepower was much lower than I expected, around 250whp. So a few months later, I got it tuned by another reputable/esteemed race shop, and same thing, wheel horsepower was around 240. I took it to another reputable/esteemed race shop a few months later for a dyno tune, and once again, wheel horsepower was around 240. I had always attributed it to the 700r4 and IRS stealing all the power. I had called Blueprint engines to ask about the lower than expected horsepower and was told that it was because of a “loose converter.”

The last two shops that tuned the engine had both pointed out that engine wasn’t running quite right. I always attributed the rough idling to the cam specs, because AFR, timing, etc. was always on point. The last shop ran a compression test, and cylinders #6 and #8 had 0 compression. That explained the missing 80 horsepower from what I was originally expecting.

I called Blueprint engines to file a warranty claim, explain the situation, and authorize work on the car. Blueprint engines authorized the shop to do the work, so the shop took off the heads and saw a blown head gasket between 6 and 8, as well as two little grooves between the combustion chambers of 6 and 8. The block was undamaged, and the pistons and spark plugs were all in good shape, with no signs of melting or damage. The only damage was in the aluminum head between combustion chambers of cylinders 6 and 8. I did some searching and found that Blueprint Engines uses China head castings. Three separate mechanical engineers, and two separate mechanics told me that the damage was due to either a casting error or improper torque sequencing.

When I spoke with Ken, the warranty rep, on the phone, he explained that Blueprint Engines would ship a new head and a shipping label to return the damaged head back to Blueprint Engines. Ken said that Blueprint Engines would perform an inspection on the head to see what caused the damage.

After waiting with no word from Blueprint Engines for 2 weeks, I called Blueprint Engines and was told that the cylinder head was being built. Blueprint engines sent a new cylinder head 3 weeks after the old head had been removed. That surprised me because they are readily available at Jegs, Summit, etc., so the inventory should have been large enough to ship quickly. The old head was returned to Blueprint Engines. I paid the local shop up front for the labor, and I must give them the highest accolades for their professionalism and service; they were always prompt and great at communicating. I got all of my updates through the local shop, not Blueprint Engines. The local shop called me every step of the way and updated me on their progress, but I had to reach out to Blueprint Engines for any updates at all.

After waiting 3 more weeks after the installation and no word from Blueprint Engines, I called Blueprint Engines for an update. The customer service rep told me that the head had not been inspected, and took a message to have Ken call me back. Ken called me back a few hours later, saying that the part had been inspected. Ken repeatedly called me by the wrong name “Dave”, accused me of negligence, stated that Blueprint Engines will not pay for the labor, and that he hopes that the car was tuned right this time. He directly insulted me by calling me the wrong name while reading my reference file, and also insulted my installation mechanic and all three respectable dyno tuners by saying that it was not tuned correctly in the past. All procedures outlined by Blueprint Engines were followed from the start by ASE certified technicians.

I am disgusted by Blueprint Engines’ quality and service. I purchased their engine because of the warranty and “value”, unfortunately having disregarded others’ previous bad experiences with Blueprint Engines that I had read. I was without my only car for 6 weeks and am left with a bill of almost $1000 because Blueprint Engines did not stand up to their word and did not do the right thing. After this ordeal with Blueprint Engines, I have spent the same amount of money to get a GM crate motor, which would not have had the quality issues that I experienced. Please learn from my ordeal and stay away from Blueprint Engines.
Old 08-18-2016, 09:50 AM
Supreme Member

Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts
Car: 1989 IrocZ
Engine: 421 Dart Stroker
Transmission: 4L60E Cahall Performance Built
Axle/Gears: Midwest Chassis Fab 9/ 3.55 gears
Re: Stay away from Blueprint Engines

People will skip the local machine shop to get a "good deal" on a blueprint engine because it has a "warrenty" and stated hp ratings. The motors are put together as cheap as possible. Head are china garbage with cheap valves, studs,rockers and springs. Valves are junk too. Whole casting should be a doorstop. But you cant tell that to the ebay and bargain shoppers. In terms of motors you really do get what you pay for and you need to do your research. Warrenty dosesnt mean squat when you have to ship stuff back and forth and are at the mercy of bluprints final ruling. Buy american, spend your money local if you can and stop sending money to china.
Old 08-18-2016, 01:40 PM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1987 iroc
Engine: 383 TPIS intake, Dyno Don headers
Transmission: 700R4 w/Pro-built Auto/transgo 2-3
Axle/Gears: 3.27/3.70 borg warner 9 bolt

This is a bad comment to make after all your troubles and problems, and I truly feel bad for you, but, HP cost money. There are many threads on here and other forums about BP motors. I'm surprised that Summit or anyone even sells their products. Even a few bad ones out of a hundred is not a good percentage in my book.
Old 08-20-2016, 08:51 AM

Received 348 Likes on 275 Posts
Car: 1988 Iroc
Engine: L98 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Hawks 8.8 - 3.73

I'm surprised that Summit or anyone even sells their products.
I've thought this myself.

...and you don't have to look far to see issues with BP. Now I understand that the internet is...well... "the internet" and you can't believe it all, but the negative reviews of BP are just TOO numerous for me to take a risk.
Old 08-23-2016, 06:25 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1986 IROC Z28
Engine: Carburated small block 454
Transmission: Level 3 Raptor 700R4 2600 stall
Axle/Gears: Strange S60 3:73 S Trac Posi

I hate that you are having a bad experience with them, but to be honest, this being your first and only post on this forum, it makes you sound like a pissed off customer slinging mud around on the internet trying to ruin the company's business. I've had great service from them and they get great reviews overall; I've made a living turning wrenches for 30 plus years and wouldn't hesitate to buy from them again.

Last edited by MSgt Luttrell; 08-23-2016 at 06:42 PM.
Old 08-24-2016, 02:52 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi guys. I want to be upfront about this issue. Here's the quick version - We have a customer that purchased a base engine (complete through oil pan & valve covers - no intake, carb, distributor, fuel system, etc.) He experienced a failure caused by detonation - most likely caused by a fuel delivery issue. Again, parts not supplied with our engine. The failure was caused by something out of our control, so we did not cover his labor bill. BluePrint Engines did supply a replacement head and Gaskets to the customer - at no charge.

This is the THIRD forum that we have seen this post on and SECOND that he has joined just to make this post. It is becoming quite obvious that he is not looking for assistance, just out to ruin our reputation. We have attempted to contact him via phone, but he has not returned our call.

Please feel free to contact us direct with any questions about our product, warranty, or service in general. Here is the detailed response that we have posted on the last two forums. Thank you in advance for reading!

Hey guys, we are not getting on here to argue with anyone, but wanted to share additional information about the failure.

BluePrint Engines supplied a long block – complete through the oil pan and valve covers. We did not supply the engine with an intake, carb, or distributor. The OP or Shop sourced and installed these components on their own. The engine was Dyno tested at our facility prior to shipping to Summit Racing. (add-on components are removed after dyno testing on this specific configuration.)

We received a call from the OP on June 30th 2016. We were told “one of the intake valves was hanging open, causing backfiring through the carb.” After in-field diagnosis, we were told by his shop that two cylinders had 0 compression. On July 6th the shop pulled the head and called to inform us on the failure. They found that the head gasket was blown between 6 and 8. We received pictures and agreed with the shop that fire slotting had occurred. On July 6th we advised the customer that this was likely not going to be covered by warranty, but did offer to send him a replacement head and gaskets at no charge. We did send these out 9 days after we said we would – that is not acceptable by our standards and can understand the customers frustration on that part. We also advised that if we found something other than fire slotting during our inspection, that was a manufacturing or parts defect, we would reimburse his labor bill.

There was a question about the head bolts being torqued properly. Upon inspection we found the gasket armor to measure .042” .0435” around all cylinders, this would indicate that all head bolts were properly torqued and not the cause of failure.

Here is a little data regarding the head gaskets used on this engine configuration. This engine was built with FelPro 501SD head gaskets. These are severe duty gaskets – designed specifically for superior performance and longevity under the toughest conditions. Their increased armor thickness and stainless steel material offer the best resistance to withstand “some”overheat, pre-ignition and detonation. They of course cannot withstand these symptoms for long periods of time. We intentionally designed the engines withan “overkill” head gasket knowing that some customers could have runability issues if not tuned properly. This was a safety margin we thought was important to add. Gaskets that have failed due to detonation or pre-ignition will usually have cracked armor around the combustion chamber which leads to burn-through.You can see signs of this in the picture the shop provided to us.

Overheat, along with pre-ignition and detonation is one of the most common failures of head gaskets. The engine's cooling system, air/fuel mixture and ignition systemall have to be correct to minimize the risks of overheat, pre-ignition and detonation. Unfortunately all of these things were out of our control with this engine.

We hate to see customers have issues with our product. It’s just bad for business. This is why we work with customers on these issues, like offering a replacement head and gaskets – at no cost – on a failure that was caused by something outside of our control. None the less, this post has proven we still have flaws in our system – delays in replacement parts, slow response time, etc… and for that jojo1590 – thank you for helping us be better!

I hope you all consider all the facts before encouraging people not to do business with us.

Thanks for your time.

BluePrintEngines
www.BluePrintEngines.com

Last edited by BluePrintEngine; 08-24-2016 at 05:11 PM.
The following users liked this post:
carlos64030 (04-14-2022)
Old 08-24-2016, 03:42 PM
Supreme Member

Where do the heads on these come from? That is some serious detonation. Usually seem from a supercharged episode. NA? Hard to believe that.

Last edited by IROCZ1989; 08-24-2016 at 03:47 PM.
Old 08-24-2016, 04:25 PM

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 82 Berlinetta/57 Bel Air
Engine: LS1/LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E/4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12B-3.73/9"-3.89
Re: Blueprint Engines

I moved this from the Engine Swap forum to the Aftermarket Vendor Review forum.
Old 08-24-2016, 06:03 PM

My guess is the total timing was set way high, was run very lean or both.
Old 08-24-2016, 07:59 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by MSgt Luttrell
My guess is the total timing was set way high, was run very lean or both.
Idk. That is some serious detonation to blow out the steels like that. Usually seen on power adder cars. Wonder if that was the case.
Old 08-25-2016, 09:46 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

@MSgt Luttrell – We appreciate your business and support! Please give us a call when you’re ready for your next build!

@IROCZ1989 – Our products are cast in several different places (USA included), but this particular set of heads are from overseas, and we are not ashamed to say that. We own the tooling for all of our heads. Our engineering team spent over a year with the foundry during the initial phase of development.Each and every year our engineering team spends several months with our foundry to ensure each head coming off the casting line meets our specification requirements. We have been using these castings for quite a few years now and are very pleased with these castings. We do business with several foundry’s all over the world - including China, Australia, Mexico and the US. You can find good and bad in every country. The key is finding an OEM caliber supplier and following strict ISO quality standards. We do material analysis and quality inspections on every single shipment (even withour domestic vendors). We own the tooling for our SBC and BBC block castings aswell.
We personally would love to buy everything in the US! Unfortunately most of our competition also sources from overseas, so it would prevent us from competing effectively. BluePrint Engines manufactures an affordable quality product which provide trouble free enjoyment to our customers.

@red rock & Abubaca – It is because of our quality product, 30 month/50,000 mile warranty coverage and outstanding customerservice that we sell to the industry’s premier retailers such as Summit, Jegs, and Speedway. When reading the bad reviews, be sure to check the dates. We admit, we’ve made some mistakes in the past. But we’ve taken from those and improved. Check us out – you won’t be disappointed!

In response to comments about Power adders… Yep, we see that a lot. But most of the time we don’t get people to admit to having power adders J The funny thing is, we have specific engine designs for them but often times they don’t want to spend the money. Yes, they are more expensive because they have all forged components, special pistons and rings etc….

Thanks again!

BluePrint Engines
www.BluePrintEngines.com
Old 08-25-2016, 11:23 AM
Supreme Member

Na will be hard pressed to blow steel like that. Thats a power adder detonation
Old 08-26-2016, 04:32 PM
Supreme Member

Received 161 Likes on 133 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC-Z 305 LB9 AT Convertible
Engine: LB9 305
Transmission: AT

Sounds like a good response from Blue Print Engines. I will consider them and Jasper for my next block or heads.

(Machining $$ is sky high, here in cali).
Old 08-26-2016, 06:33 PM
Supreme Member

[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]@IROCZ1989 – Our products are cast in several different places (USA included), but this particular set of heads are from overseas, and we are not ashamed to say that.

We do business with several foundry’s all over the world - including China, Australia, Mexico and the US.

[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]We personally would love to buy everything in the US!

@red rock & Abubaca – It is because of our quality product, 30 month/50,000 mile warranty coverage and outstanding customerservice that we sell to the industry’s premier retailers such as Summit, Jegs, and Speedway. When reading the bad reviews, be sure to check the dates. We admit, we’ve made some mistakes in the past. But we’ve taken from those and improved. Check us out – you won’t be disappointed!

Thanks again!

BluePrint Engines
www.BluePrintEngines.com[/QUOTE]

I appreciate your offer, but I require that i do business locally and buy USA made parts whenever I can. I think that's a good business policy and it helps support our own working people. I just had my motor rebuilt last winter, and all machine work was done locally, the heads were made in the USA, the intake in the USA, the cam was made in the USA, the headers were made in the USA, and it was tuned in the USA. I know that some people have strict budgets and require a lesser priced product to complete a build, but I also know you get what you pay for sometimes also.
Old 08-29-2016, 06:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91 RS Vert 86 Cutlass
Engine: Sbc
Transmission: T5 400 Turbo

I work at Jegs I sell blue print engines everyday. I have had a couple friends buy them also. One had some issues recently with his blue print 383 and sent it back and they are in process of sending him a new motor right now. No questions asked.
carlos64030 (04-14-2022)
Old 08-29-2016, 07:39 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Gibbyzracing
I work at Jegs I sell blue print engines everyday. I have had a couple friends buy them also. One had some issues recently with his blue print 383 and sent it back and they are in process of sending him a new motor right now. No questions asked.
Really? How bout a thirdgen discount?
Old 08-29-2016, 07:43 PM

Car: 1983 Camaro Z28
Engine: 584
Transmission: TSI Glide
Axle/Gears: Quick performance 9 inch

Are they still attaching those old slinger weights off the end of the crank?

I have installed a few of them when I was at the hot rod shop and while they ran they were not good quality. Last one that a customer tried to drop off to me I sent it back out the door and didn't install on a Dodge install.

Maybe they have gotten better on quality lately.
Old 08-29-2016, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by izcain
Are they still attaching those old slinger weights off the end of the crank?

I have installed a few of them when I was at the hot rod shop and while they ran they were not good quality. Last one that a customer tried to drop off to me I sent it back out the door and didn't install on a Dodge install.

Maybe they have gotten better on quality lately.
I recently installed a 383 SBC bought from them and it was almost too pretty to install, couldn't find a single thing to complain about what so ever and it runs great.
carlos64030 (04-14-2022)
Old 08-30-2016, 01:41 AM

That's good to hear!
Old 08-30-2016, 10:37 AM
Supreme Member

Received 106 Likes on 65 Posts
Car: '90 Trans Am-12.45@110.71
Engine: 355 w/AFR 195's Elem. 400/430 HP/TQ
Transmission: Tremec T-56
Axle/Gears: 12 Bolt 3.73

The last one I dealt with ran alright but they sold him a L98 replacement engine
that came with TBI truck heads, a flat tappet cam on 110 LSA in a roller block.

That's not good.
Old 08-30-2016, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by IROCZ1989
Really? How bout a thirdgen discount?
If I could I would But Ill do my best my extension is 631
Old 08-30-2016, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by red rock
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]@IROCZ1989 – Our products are cast in several different places (USA included), but this particular set of heads are from overseas, and we are not ashamed to say that.

We do business with several foundry’s all over the world - including China, Australia, Mexico and the US.

[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]We personally would love to buy everything in the US!

Thanks again!

BluePrint Engines
www.BluePrintEngines.com

My cooling system is beyond adequate, and the carburetor is a 600cfm quality carburetor mounted to a dual plane quality intake (the same combination that Blueprint engines performed the original power measurement). The distributor is a Performance Distributors DUI distributor.

" On July 6th we advised the customer that this was likely not going to be covered by warranty, but did offer to send him a replacement head and gaskets at no charge. We did send these out 9 days after we said we would – that is not acceptable by our standards and can understand the customers frustration on that part. We also advised that if we found something other than fire slotting during our inspection, that was a manufacturing or parts defect, we would reimburse his labor bill." This was not made clear. I had to ask if there would be a charge for the head and gaskets, and the labor reimbursement statement was left vague.

Had I known that I would have received the poor customer service and been without my only car for 6 weeks, then I would have paid the local shop a prior agreed $900 to repair the head at a local machine shop. The shop was exceptional with all of their service and timeliness, so I would have been without my car for a maximum of 2 weeks. The rate-limiting factor of the return would have been the machine shop's turnaround time, as the shop re-installed the heads within 2 days of receiving the new head from Blueprint engines. Furthermore, had I kept the repair local, I would not have dealt with the insults and shady business practices that I experienced with Blueprint engines.

After shipping the head back to Blueprint Engines, I got as many expert opinions as I could. The three different mechanical engineers with whom I conferred all have engine building experience and two of them race. One was a machinist prior to getting his engineering degrees (BS, MS). The tech who did the head installation used ARP bolts to replace the bolts from Blueprint engines. He specifically commented on the poor quality of the head bolts that were on the engine. Another tech at the same shop said that it was either due to the bolts (improper torque, quality) or a head casting defect, since the pistons, plugs, and block were all in unharmed condition.

The engine had approximately 8,000 miles on it when the above referenced ordeal with Blueprint Engines began. It had approximately 2000 miles on it when I got the first dyno tune and saw the low hp rating. It had been tuned from the start at installation by an ASE master mechanic. The warranty is for 30 months and 50,000 miles. I have receipts and documentation for everything done to the car.

I am the most concerned with spreading the word to others to prevent them from going through the same debacle, insulting, and shady business practices that I experienced with Blueprint Engines. When Ken called to tell me that they would not honor their labor warranty, he used a blocked number in contrast to previous conversations where he used his company line. After insulting me and my tuners by saying he hoped that it was tuned right this time and we won't have the same problem again, instead of leaving me with his direct line, he gave me the general company number. When I called again to speak with Ken, the operator sent me to Ken's phone line where Ken screened the call and has never returned my call. I have all documentation and references available should Ken ever return my call. It is disgusting that the only details I have received for why Blueprint Engines is not honoring their labor warranty have been via their response to a complaint forum.

Outstanding customer service does not include using blocked numbers to call back the customer who filed a warranty claim. Never once since the warranty claim were my calls returned from a legitimate business line.That is a far, far cry from outstanding customer service.

I was always cordial, factual, and never rude in any of the discussions that I had with anyone from the company. When I spoke with another rep and told him that all procedures had been followed from the start, his tone quickly changed and he ended the conversation. I was never asked for any documents or references, but rather ignored.

I hope that if anyone is considering an engine from Blueprint Engines, he/she does not let the fancy horsepower ads and "value" convince him/her to purchase their product. The old saying "you get what you pay for" still holds true. The initial excitement that one may receive is not worth the risk of poor quality and subsequent terrible customer service, where any problems are blamed on the customer for negligence.

It's clearly easier and more convenient for Blueprint engines to hop on complaint forums rather than dealing with the issue with the customer and calling from a legitimate number.

Last edited by jojo1590; 08-30-2016 at 07:51 PM.
Old 08-30-2016, 07:23 PM

Na will be hard pressed to blow steel like that. Thats a power adder detonation
The car is and has always been naturally aspirated. Timing has always been less than 34 total, and 93 octane is the only fuel that has ever been run through the car.
Old 08-30-2016, 07:34 PM

t is becoming quite obvious that he is not looking for assistance, just out to ruin our reputation. We have attempted to contact him via phone, but he has not returned our call. [/FONT][/COLOR]

I was called by Blueprint Engines from an unknown number both times that they returned my calls. I had to reach out to them every time besides the aforementioned two calls during the several weeks that I was without my only car, as well as two weeks after just to get an update. The above quoted post from Blueprint Engines was made very shortly after they left a voicemail from a blocked number while I was at work. Of course I am not going to return a call immediately while I am at work. If anyone at my place of employment made a call regarding company business while blocking the number, they would be canned. It's a shame that calling customers from blocked numbers is habitual practice at Blueprint engines when dealing with warranty claims.
Old 08-30-2016, 07:45 PM

It is becoming quite obvious that he is not looking for assistance, just out to ruin our reputation. We have attempted to contact him via phone, but he has not returned our call.

It is blatantly obvious that I have been proactively seeking assistance since the issue began, and simply making others aware of what they can expect if they ever have to file a warranty claim. Blueprint Engines called me from a blocked number while I was at work, so of course I did not immediately call back. I don't know anyone who prioritizes returning calls from blocked numbers. The only two times I ever received calls from Blueprint Engines about the warranty claim were from blocked numbers. If someone at my place of employment made a call regarding company business from a blocked number, they would be canned. It's unbelievable that a company that says they provide outstanding customer service habitually adheres to such a practice.

Last edited by jojo1590; 08-30-2016 at 08:09 PM.
Old 08-31-2016, 01:40 PM
Supreme Member

Like I said cast in china more than likely the head bolts and such are chinese junk too. Chinese steel is what it is,cheap. Someone who has actually had a engine built locally with usa stuff cannot disagree that the blueprint engines at what they are advertised as is cheap compared to what they may have spent. Unfortunately most look at price and no deeper than that. These motors are cheap for a reason. Its not because they have usa made heads, or billet cam cores or arp anything. Its because they use cheap as possible assembly parts, and steel. Im a firm believer you get what you pay for. And at these prices they are making a profit. Do the math. You cant put high quality parts in an engine at the price they are selling it at. Just the truth if it.
Old 08-31-2016, 01:55 PM

Again, just a witch hunt.

Old 08-31-2016, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by jojo1590
It is becoming quite obvious that he is not looking for assistance, just out to ruin our reputation. We have attempted to contact him via phone, but he has not returned our call.

It is blatantly obvious that I have been proactively seeking assistance since the issue began, and simply making others aware of what they can expect if they ever have to file a warranty claim. Blueprint Engines called me from a blocked number while I was at work, so of course I did not immediately call back. I don't know anyone who prioritizes returning calls from blocked numbers. The only two times I ever received calls from Blueprint Engines about the warranty claim were from blocked numbers. If someone at my place of employment made a call regarding company business from a blocked number, they would be canned. It's unbelievable that a company that says they provide outstanding customer service habitually adheres to such a practice.

Plenty of companies have numbers that are blocked that car calling back due to different reasons. I get them all the time on my personal phone and at work. Its part of the deal Im sure they left their information on your voice mail and you could have returned it from that. Your just joining forums to make trouble. Its clearly with the pictures that it is not BluePrint Engines fault. I have seen this style of issue several times over the years in working in the high performance field. Its very well shown it was due to
Detonation and poor air fuel mixture. If you had it dyno tuned you should be able to show the air fuel mixture and the timing and horsepower ratings from the dyno.

Please show your proof instead of dragging them through the mud.
Old 08-31-2016, 04:44 PM

Plenty of companies have numbers that are blocked that car calling back due to different reasons. I get them all the time on my personal phone and at work. Its part of the deal Im sure they left their information on your voice mail and you could have returned it from that. Your just joining forums to make trouble. Its clearly with the pictures that it is not BluePrint Engines fault. I have seen this style of issue several times over the years in working in the high performance field. Its very well shown it was due to
Detonation and poor air fuel mixture. If you had it dyno tuned you should be able to show the air fuel mixture and the timing and horsepower ratings from the dyno.

Please show your proof instead of dragging them through the mud.
This was the first dyno tune with timing set at 32 total with 93 octane. The dotted line is 13 AFR.

Can you please tell me the names of some reputable companies you deal with that return customer service calls with a blocked number? I have never had Jegs or Summit do that.

Regarding your statement about the phone call, yes I did return the call from Ken within one minute. He left the general number to call back, and when I was forwarded to him, he screened the call. I left a message and it took over a week (during which Blueprint Engines posted a detailed reply on a different forum, rather than just calling me back and explaining things to me) for a different employee to call me back saying that the warranty department forwarded her a message to speak with me. I reached out to them repeatedly during the 6 weeks that I described in my first and second posts. I have described everything that occurred regarding customer service, and it has been poor. I am stating what happened to me so others can know what can happen with them.

Last edited by jojo1590; 08-31-2016 at 04:58 PM.
Old 08-31-2016, 11:20 PM

This was the first dyno tune with timing set at 32 total with 93 octane. The dotted line is 13 AFR.

Can you please tell me the names of some reputable companies you deal with that return customer service calls with a blocked number? I have never had Jegs or Summit do that.

Regarding your statement about the phone call, yes I did return the call from Ken within one minute. He left the general number to call back, and when I was forwarded to him, he screened the call. I left a message and it took over a week (during which Blueprint Engines posted a detailed reply on a different forum, rather than just calling me back and explaining things to me) for a different employee to call me back saying that the warranty department forwarded her a message to speak with me. I reached out to them repeatedly during the 6 weeks that I described in my first and second posts. I have described everything that occurred regarding customer service, and it has been poor. I am stating what happened to me so others can know what can happen with them.

I can tell you I have received blocked calls from several big companies. Certain Lines are made that way. But for example holley called me back last week about a EFI system I was having issues with a blocked number. A lot of the higher ups use their cell phones to return calls when they receive their messages and block them from customers. I know when I ran the Restoration shop if I used my cell phone I always blocked my number and this company was a very large company. I also had three c body shop call me from a blocked number last year when my truck was there due to a accident. I know when using my cellular device I am not calling customers un blocked. I had to do a lot of big clients when not in office and I didn't want them to have my personal cell number. There is many reasons
Old 08-31-2016, 11:22 PM

And anyone can pull a dyno sheet with out any actual information on it. Put the whole dyno sheet up.
Old 09-01-2016, 04:39 AM
Supreme Member

A youtube video thats basically a paid advertisement. YouTube at one time was ruled by independent makers. But they all have there own agendas now.

Last edited by IROCZ1989; 09-01-2016 at 04:44 AM.
Old 09-01-2016, 06:02 AM

Guys, I've earned a good living for over 30 years turning wrenches and I'm going to tell you that I've seen a lot of garbage engines come out of local shops through the years. I did a ton of research before I bought an engine from BluePrint and yes I did see a few negative reviews about them, but I saw many, many more good reviews and the fact is that if you deal with the public long enough, you will come across people that can not be pleased regardless of how you do business; that, plus the fact that the few complaints I read all seemed to be exactly like this one, where a person was not happy, even after the company offered to meet them in the middle and they then flooded the internet with negative posts about the company.

As far as buying American goes, times have changed folks and if you think you are buying American these days by buying from an American company you don't understand the global market or any of the free trade agreements enacted in the last twenty years. My advise is to do some research and spend your dollar wisely, what I feel is a wise purchase may not seem wise to others; I personally am thankful that we have a broad market of motor sport automotive manufacturers to choose from. But I will say again, the local ma and pop shops are not necessarily the best place to get a quality product; they tend to be only as good as their hired help and don't tend to dyno run any of their engines.
carlos64030 (04-14-2022)
Old 09-01-2016, 08:40 AM
Supreme Member

As far as buying American goes, times have changed folks and if you think you are buying American these days by buying from an American company you don't understand the global market or any of the free trade agreements enacted in the last twenty years. My advise is to do some research and spend your dollar wisely, what I feel is a wise purchase may not seem wise to others; I personally am thankful that we have a broad market of motor sport automotive manufacturers to choose from. But I will say again, the local ma and pop shops are not necessarily the best place to get a quality product; they tend to be only as good as their hired help and don't tend to dyno run any of their engines.
Where are AFR heads, TPIS intake, Dyno Don headers, Comp Cams Made? And there was no Ma at the local engine shop i went to. Just Pa, a one man operation that's been in business over 20 years. They're out there, you just have to look and be willing to pay for it. My point is, companies like Blueprint push these motors out so much and so fast, just like you said, they are only as good as their hired help. A smaller local machine shop may not be as fast, but tend to be more into detail than the "big motor companies" What brand of pistons, bearings, cranks, heads do they use? And what quality are they. A weak casting between the cylinders could have burnt through just as the pictures above show. There are different qualities of aluminum, just as there are different qualities of steel. I'm sure not all Blueprint motors are junk, but if people have the kind of luck i have, i would get the one out of a hundred that failed.
Old 09-01-2016, 10:13 AM
Supreme Member

You get what you pay for. No free lunch in the motorsport world. If you think your getting a great 400hp motor for 3500 keep dreaming. About everything I built my motor with is from USA. Crower, Crane Cams, Ross, Canton, ARP, AFR, Callies (not compstar) etc. This is strictly a price shopping situation. You get what you pay for , thats about as final as an answer as you'll get on this subject.
Old 09-01-2016, 12:43 PM

And anyone can pull a dyno sheet with out any actual information on it. Put the whole dyno sheet up.
Blue lines are first pull, red lines are final pull. Blue was way rich (makes sense with only 6 cylinders running) so the jets were changed by the tuner. Gas was 93 octane (as it always has been) and timing was 34 total on the final pull.
Attached Thumbnails Blueprint Engines-photo-52-.jpg  
Old 09-01-2016, 12:49 PM

I did not put up the whole sheet to keep the tuner's information private.
Old 09-01-2016, 03:15 PM

I did not put up the whole sheet to keep the tuner's information private.
well I mean why would you care to keep the tuner private? you scared he will tell what really happened?
Old 09-01-2016, 03:18 PM
Supreme Member

Received 97 Likes on 62 Posts
Car: 88GTA
Engine: 5.7TPI
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: 3.27

Old 09-01-2016, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Bob88GTA
Truth.
Old 09-01-2016, 05:00 PM

Where are AFR heads, TPIS intake, Dyno Don headers, Comp Cams Made? And there was no Ma at the local engine shop i went to. Just Pa, a one man operation that's been in business over 20 years. They're out there, you just have to look and be willing to pay for it. My point is, companies like Blueprint push these motors out so much and so fast, just like you said, they are only as good as their hired help. A smaller local machine shop may not be as fast, but tend to be more into detail than the "big motor companies" What brand of pistons, bearings, cranks, heads do they use? And what quality are they. A weak casting between the cylinders could have burnt through just as the pictures above show. There are different qualities of aluminum, just as there are different qualities of steel. I'm sure not all Blueprint motors are junk, but if people have the kind of luck i have, i would get the one out of a hundred that failed.
Yes exactly. I followed everything by the book from the start because of the warranty stipulations that were in the installation manual. I was not going to cut corners buying a new engine and void the warranty, and the warranty was a major reason I went with blueprint in the first place. However, all the internet experts on here think otherwise.

I learned my lesson - go with either local and/or quality American, because the upfront extra cost will be worth it in the long run.
Old 09-01-2016, 07:37 PM

Yes exactly. I followed everything by the book from the start because of the warranty stipulations that were in the installation manual. I was not going to cut corners buying a new engine and void the warranty, and the warranty was a major reason I went with blueprint in the first place. However, all the internet experts on here think otherwise.

I learned my lesson - go with either local and/or quality American, because the upfront extra cost will be worth it in the long run.
Yes Im a internet expert. I deal with blue print daily and several people have issues because of issues but things happen. I mean he replaced parts when you can clearly tell the cylinder had detonation. Blue Print did not have to do that because they actually only offer a limited warranty. They gave you free head and gasket you paid for the labor. Man that's a deal when it was a issue with fuel or spark or timing. That's the point people that join forums to bash people with no proof. I think its funny your hiding your "WELL KNOWN TUNERS" information. You didn't post any kind of pictures or proof on here. But blue print definitely posted pictures of your head and gasket... I have been building/racing cars for about 13 years and around it my whole life. The only time I have seen a gasket and head look like that was with a Horrible Nitrous Tune or crappy boost tunes on them or beat on before the tune.
Old 09-01-2016, 08:24 PM

Yes Im a internet expert. I deal with blue print daily and several people have issues because of issues but things happen. I mean he replaced parts when you can clearly tell the cylinder had detonation. Blue Print did not have to do that because they actually only offer a limited warranty. They gave you free head and gasket you paid for the labor. Man that's a deal when it was a issue with fuel or spark or timing. That's the point people that join forums to bash people with no proof. I think its funny your hiding your "WELL KNOWN TUNERS" information. You didn't post any kind of pictures or proof on here. But blue print definitely posted pictures of your head and gasket... I have been building/racing cars for about 13 years and around it my whole life. The only time I have seen a gasket and head look like that was with a Horrible Nitrous Tune or crappy boost tunes on them or beat on before the tune.
My daily driver and only car does not have nitrous or a supercharger or turbocharger. It's not a deal because of the time I had to wait when the local shop could have done it all within a week for the same price that I was out in the end, not including the extra money spent because I had to find transportation in the meantime...please read the above posts. The tuners are not relevant to you, as you are 12 hours away. They are well known in the southeast, and their information is none of your business. I did post "any kind of pictures or proof"....please read the above posts.

You said "I deal with blue print daily and several people have issues because of issues". Can you please elaborate what you mean by that? That's very confusing if you sell their product everyday...you sell and actively defend a product with which several people have issues?
Old 09-01-2016, 10:25 PM

Yes because at the end if I sell 200 motors and have 2 or 3 break that's not bad. And at the end of the day the warranty is through them. I work for a very well known mail order company and sell multiple Blue print engines a week. and all the ones I have known of a issue blue print has fixed. I have a buddys brother that broke one recently he pulled the motor and sent it back to blue print instead of taking it to a shop. they sent him another complete motor no issues no questions asked. His actually had blown a head gasket as well.
Old 09-01-2016, 10:47 PM
Supreme Member

Quote; The only time I have seen a gasket and head look like that was with a Horrible
Nitrous Tune or crappy boost tunes on them or beat on before the tune.

Quote; I have a buddys brother that broke one recently he pulled the motor and sent it back to blue print instead of taking it to a shop. they sent him another complete motor no issues no questions asked. His actually had blown a head gasket as well.

But jojo1590's motor was blown up by him and his tuner. So your buddies brother blew a head gasket and they replaced the whole motor?
Old 09-02-2016, 01:06 AM

Quote; The only time I have seen a gasket and head look like that was with a Horrible
Nitrous Tune or crappy boost tunes on them or beat on before the tune.

Quote; I have a buddys brother that broke one recently he pulled the motor and sent it back to blue print instead of taking it to a shop. they sent him another complete motor no issues no questions asked. His actually had blown a head gasket as well.

But jojo1590's motor was blown up by him and his tuner. So your buddies brother blew a head gasket and they replaced the whole motor?
Sounds like someone has an "in" with a certain mail order guy lol
Old 09-02-2016, 01:20 AM

Guys, I've earned a good living for over 30 years turning wrenches and I'm going to tell you that I've seen a lot of garbage engines come out of local shops through the years. I did a ton of research before I bought an engine from BluePrint and yes I did see a few negative reviews about them, but I saw many, many more good reviews and the fact is that if you deal with the public long enough, you will come across people that can not be pleased regardless of how you do business; that, plus the fact that the few complaints I read all seemed to be exactly like this one, where a person was not happy, even after the company offered to meet them in the middle and they then flooded the internet with negative posts about the company.

I don't normally get into these banters but I gotta say something.

You keep telling everyone that........ Eventually there will be no small business's left with an attitude like that.

Your not the only one who makes a good living in the industry and as a small business or as you would say a ma and pa shop i disagree with you about quality. Maybe in your area they have ruined their name but that is only your area. Plenty of ma and pa places in my area making frequent trips to the dyno.

I have seen a few blueprint engines land in my shop with generic dyno graphs and upon inspection the motor has never Been fired.

I understand not everyone can afford upper end parts or to pay machining costs. But people can't sit here and tell me they are even. Let's compare Apples to apples.

Not taking sides and saying the op is right or wrong. Only he knows how he ran that engine and what happened. I can appreciate blueprints side of the story also and for them to come on here is cool.

Now get rid of those slinger weights lol jk

Last edited by izcain; 09-02-2016 at 01:25 AM.
Old 09-02-2016, 04:42 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by izcain

I have seen a few blueprint engines land in my shop with generic dyno graphs and upon inspection the motor has never Been fired.
Wow. So this guy blows a head gasket and gets the run around. And Gibz friend or brother of a friend blows a head gasket and gets a new motor. Doesnt seem equal at all.
Old 09-02-2016, 05:36 AM

Wow. So this guy blows a head gasket and gets the run around. And Gibz friend or brother of a friend blows a head gasket and gets a new motor. Doesnt seem equal at all.
He sent them a bad head and gasket and got back a new head a new gasket, my money says that had he pulled and sent in the engine, he too would have gotten back a new engine.
Old 09-02-2016, 06:37 AM
Supreme Member

He sent them a bad head and gasket and got back a new head a new gasket, my money says that had he pulled and sent in the engine, he too would have gotten back a new engine.
To me it seems the buyer knew the shop/seller thats sold him the engine and got special treatment. Thats how I am seeing it. Basically sells 8-10 engines a month. Has pull with blueprint to get a new engine vs replacing head gasket. Kind of a conundrum here. Blueprint sends a motor to somone else with a simaler situation but denies this guy. This engine blows a head gasket and it looks like it was on a power adder. But I have to ask with that kind of detonation. Can we see pics of the spark plugs or piston tops of those adjoining cylinders? That will give some more insight. Heavy power adder detonation will break the rings lands and or skirts. More info and pics is needed.

Quick Reply: Blueprint Engines