Search

Go Back   Third Generation F-Body Message Boards > Tech Boards > Auto Detailing and Appearance
Register Forgot Password?

Auto Detailing and Appearance Share tips and tricks on how to make your Third Gen shine! Get opinions on products or how something tasteful looks on your Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird.

Welcome to ThirdGen.org!
Welcome to ThirdGen.org.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join the ThirdGen.org community today!

Old 04-20-2001, 10:56 AM   #1

Classifieds Rating: (0)
Send a message via AIM to CamaroZ_85
paint matching...is aftermarket (plastikote/duplicolor) actually good?

I need to replace a fender and I would like for it to match the rest of the car as it looks pretty good. I work at an auto parts store and we carry duplicolor paints. Has anyone had luck with this stuff actually matching the rest of the car? I was bored at work the other day and I painted a piece of metal w/ the color thats supposed to match. It looked a bit lighter (By the way it's arctic white, paint code 11 and duplicolor pn# DSGM138) I was gonna compound it after a few days and see what it does, but I havent been to work since Monday when I did this. Does this stuff actually work? Or does anyone have better suggestions (like getting it from GM) I sell this crap to people but never see what it looks like afterwards, But I must say I see too many people driving around with big spots on the body that dont match, thats not acceptable to me. Also, is flexible bumper paint available at the dealer?? Because duplicolor or plasticote doesnt make the color match bumper paints...
Sorry for all the questions but I appreciate the help from you guys. Thanks
Rob

------------------
350, Comp 262, Edelbrock Performer intake 600 cfm carb and exhaust, headers
-JVC, Eclipse, Pioneer, MTX, Phoenix Gold, Planet Audio
CamaroZ_85 is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2001, 10:59 PM   #2

Car: 85 IROC-Z / 88 GTA
Engine: 403 LSx (Pending) / 355 Tuned Port
Transmission: T56 Magnum (Pending) / T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 / ?

Classifieds Rating: (2)

Send a message via AIM to Jim85IROC
You mean spray paint? If so, then NO!!!!!

------------------
The IROC Homepage
<A HREF="http://www.rit.edu/~jli4307/camaro" TARGET=_blank>
View the restoration of an 85 IROC</A>
"I didn't know a bored out Ford could go so slow" -Shenandoah
Jim85IROC is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2001, 01:49 AM   #3
Supreme Member

Classifieds Rating: (7)

every batch of paint is different in one way or another, you best idea to match as close as possible would be to go to a paint shop and have them match it up; duplicolor works in areas that aren't so noticeable, but are more meant for the average person just looking to cover up a spot.......not for guys like us who wish the spot was never there. good luck Click the image to open in full size.
Kandied91z is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2001, 03:19 PM   #4
Banned

Classifieds Rating: (0)
The gloss and durability may suffer, but it will do the job until you can get a paint job.

Plastikote does make one product I have found as "excellent" Their caliper spray paint. That stuff is self priming and really can take a beating. I've used it many times Click the image to open in full size.
theformula is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2001, 03:19 PM
ThirdGen
1992 Camaro

Paid Advertisement

Go Back   Third Generation F-Body Message Boards > Tech Boards > Auto Detailing and Appearance

Tags
arctic, artic, bumper, color, dsgm138, duplicolor, firebird, good, kote, matching, paint, plasti, plastikote, pontiac, spray, store, target, white