Auto Detailing and Appearance Share tips and tricks on how to make your Third Gen shine! Get opinions on products or how something tasteful looks on your Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird.

paint matching...is aftermarket (plastikote/duplicolor) actually good?

Old 04-20-2001, 10:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
paint matching...is aftermarket (plastikote/duplicolor) actually good?

I need to replace a fender and I would like for it to match the rest of the car as it looks pretty good. I work at an auto parts store and we carry duplicolor paints. Has anyone had luck with this stuff actually matching the rest of the car? I was bored at work the other day and I painted a piece of metal w/ the color thats supposed to match. It looked a bit lighter (By the way it's arctic white, paint code 11 and duplicolor pn# DSGM138) I was gonna compound it after a few days and see what it does, but I havent been to work since Monday when I did this. Does this stuff actually work? Or does anyone have better suggestions (like getting it from GM) I sell this crap to people but never see what it looks like afterwards, But I must say I see too many people driving around with big spots on the body that dont match, thats not acceptable to me. Also, is flexible bumper paint available at the dealer?? Because duplicolor or plasticote doesnt make the color match bumper paints...
Sorry for all the questions but I appreciate the help from you guys. Thanks
Rob

------------------
350, Comp 262, Edelbrock Performer intake 600 cfm carb and exhaust, headers
-JVC, Eclipse, Pioneer, MTX, Phoenix Gold, Planet Audio
Old 04-20-2001, 10:59 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 85 IROC-Z / 88 GTA
Engine: 403 LSx (Pending) / 355 Tuned Port
Transmission: T56 Magnum (Pending) / T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 / ?
You mean spray paint? If so, then NO!!!!!

------------------
The IROC Homepage
<A HREF="http://www.rit.edu/~jli4307/camaro" TARGET=_blank>
View the restoration of an 85 IROC</A>
"I didn't know a bored out Ford could go so slow" -Shenandoah
Old 04-21-2001, 01:49 AM
Supreme Member

every batch of paint is different in one way or another, you best idea to match as close as possible would be to go to a paint shop and have them match it up; duplicolor works in areas that aren't so noticeable, but are more meant for the average person just looking to cover up a spot.......not for guys like us who wish the spot was never there. good luck
Old 04-21-2001, 03:19 PM
Banned

The gloss and durability may suffer, but it will do the job until you can get a paint job.

Plastikote does make one product I have found as "excellent" Their caliper spray paint. That stuff is self priming and really can take a beating. I've used it many times