Auto Detailing and Appearance Share tips and tricks on how to make your Third Gen shine! Get opinions on products or how something tasteful looks on your Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird.

New Paint?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2001, 10:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Paint?

My 87 is going into local dealer shop for full body paint any tips? What should I look for? I did just get i back after a fender bender and it was full of orange peel it looked terrible so my insurance co. is paying for a full paint the shop sprayed clear coat all over old wax looked horrible. Any way to trace original paint? Right now car is blue very nice. Thanks for your help.
Old 09-03-2001, 11:05 PM

well one the car wasnt wetsanded if it was orange peely, tell them you want it wet sanded and buffed.
and make sure that it has no sanding scratches or swirl marks when you get it back. even though i know what i am doing when i do this, i am prone to let a few out the door, like one every month that may have a small section that i buffed over but didnt get all of the scratches out of.

and they got clear coat over the old wax? well overspray like that would just buff off. in the shop i work at some cars have primer overspray (from the other cars that they fix, or from the car that is getting fixed) but it buffs right off.
new paint should feel very smooth and look smooth.

make sure the car is R&I'd when done. that means removed and installed. that way its not all masked off then painted. tell them you want everything removed then reinstalled. you insurance company should agree to this, and it will make the cars paint job worth more. in value and looks.

dont let them take the short cut, and dont let them not see your car when its getting worked on. go in on a daily basis to make sure its getting done right, and be very picky and they will treat you very good.

they pickiest people that come in our shop are the ones that get the best service. if something is done bad then people will tell others and the shops rep will be destroyed. our shop has a rep for being the most detailed shop, everything is done right and correctly and the cars are crystal clean when they leave, and that is part of my job, washed, vacuumed and spotless after i wetsand it. make sure all of the jambs are clean of buffing compound and under the hood has no overspray or compound.
just plain be a **** , you have to be to get everything done 100% correctly.

------------------
Jarrad
1990 IROC-Z L98 350 TPI
TH-700R4
G92- 9 Bolt Borg-Warner 3.27gears
Dupont Flame Red Hardtop/ Grey Interior

Working at Carl Cleve & Sons Auto Body Repair as the wetsander/buffer.

1991 GREY S10 2.5L/5SPD -FOR SALE.
Old 09-06-2001, 09:37 AM

Thanks so much for the tips. I totally agree about being a ***** thats what happened last time and you are very right about rep- believe you me, I have nothing good to say about the shop that screwed up the first time. The dealer shop manager tells me that they want to R & I thats how they do their work so I am pleased to hear that is the right way. I will definitely make sure they wetsand, and I will be there every day to check on it. Will painting affect the interior at all? I have some older rubber sealant pieces that are not in the best shape is it possible for them to be destroyed or damaged in the process? And is that an expensive thing to replace? I had a major problem with the ground effects pin striping in that it has been discontinued. Thanks for the help.
Luci
well one the car wasnt wetsanded if it was orange peely, tell them you want it wet sanded and buffed.
and make sure that it has no sanding scratches or swirl marks when you get it back. even though i know what i am doing when i do this, i am prone to let a few out the door, like one every month that may have a small section that i buffed over but didnt get all of the scratches out of.

and they got clear coat over the old wax? well overspray like that would just buff off. in the shop i work at some cars have primer overspray (from the other cars that they fix, or from the car that is getting fixed) but it buffs right off.
new paint should feel very smooth and look smooth.

make sure the car is R&I'd when done. that means removed and installed. that way its not all masked off then painted. tell them you want everything removed then reinstalled. you insurance company should agree to this, and it will make the cars paint job worth more. in value and looks.

dont let them take the short cut, and dont let them not see your car when its getting worked on. go in on a daily basis to make sure its getting done right, and be very picky and they will treat you very good.

they pickiest people that come in our shop are the ones that get the best service. if something is done bad then people will tell others and the shops rep will be destroyed. our shop has a rep for being the most detailed shop, everything is done right and correctly and the cars are crystal clean when they leave, and that is part of my job, washed, vacuumed and spotless after i wetsand it. make sure all of the jambs are clean of buffing compound and under the hood has no overspray or compound.
just plain be a **** , you have to be to get everything done 100% correctly.

[/QUOTE]