Auto Detailing and Appearance Share tips and tricks on how to make your Third Gen shine! Get opinions on products or how something tasteful looks on your Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird.

What Wheels should I get? *Formula White on Charcoal* PICS

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 01:29 PM
Supreme Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: Vortec headed 355, xe262
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt 3.70
Re: What Wheels should I get? *Formula White on Charcoal* PICS

We may want to add iForged to the list... their wheels look a little different for hte most part...

http://www.importgenius.com/importer...ormance-alloys

Shipper
MIN SHIAN INDUSTRIAL COMPANY
NO.38 HULI AVENUE,INDUSTRIAL DISTRICT XIAMEN 361009 CHINA

Declaration of Goods
ALUMINUM WHEELS

But that was just one shipment... not really sure what to make of it.

Those competition gray Z06 wheels are awesome ian, but I think your current wheels look even better on your car than those would. But your car would look great witha nything on it, especially anything in competition gray.

Last edited by InfernalVortex; 11-01-2012 at 01:33 PM.
Old 11-01-2012, 02:02 PM
Supreme Member

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Car: '91 TA vert
Engine: turboLSx
Axle/Gears: 3.23

Originally Posted by InfernalVortex
Those competition gray Z06 wheels are awesome ian, but I think your current wheels look even better on your car than those would. But your car would look great witha nything on it, especially anything in competition gray.
Hey, thanks! I really like the look of it now but I think the look has grown a bit stale. Actually, up until this set I usually changed wheels at least every year. This set I've had for almost four years! I keep wanting to try a multi spoke wheel like the spyder, or Forgestar CF10, or even one of the OE c6 accessory 7spoke wheels (If only they made it in something other than chrome!). But again, finding OE or similar quality in 19x10 and 19x12 is difficult if I want to spend less than the purchase price of my whole car!

I just thought about another set that would looks good. The 2ndgen ctsV wheels in comp grey.

Would be funny to see the caddy centercap and then maybe the -V flag on the brakes as well.
Old 11-01-2012, 04:56 PM
Supreme Member

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
Car: 82 TA 87 IZ L98 88 IZ LB9 88 IZ L98
Engine: 5.7TBI 5,7TPI 5.0TPI, 5,7TPI
Transmission: T5, 700R4, T5, 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.08, 3.27, 3.45, 3.27

We may want to add iForged to the list... their wheels look a little different for hte most part...

http://www.importgenius.com/importer...ormance-alloys

Shipper
MIN SHIAN INDUSTRIAL COMPANY
NO.38 HULI AVENUE,INDUSTRIAL DISTRICT XIAMEN 361009 CHINA

Declaration of Goods
ALUMINUM WHEELS

But that was just one shipment... not really sure what to make of it.

might add rotiform too, looks the same also. They have a VERY nice concave star spoked wheel kind of like a snowflake that I like very much.

These, they are available in gold

Old 11-01-2012, 05:24 PM
Supreme Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Car: 87' IROC
Engine: L98

InfernalVortex,

Thank you for brining this up here. People need to know. When I was looking at 3pc wheels I looked at ISS, COR, and ADV.1. They have some awesome looking wheels. But it became obvious very quickly that there was no engineering going on in these places. You can't get a straight answer from them. And know that I know they source parts from china, I'm REALLY happy it didn't work out. The experience I had with HRE blew all these other companies out of the water. A little more expensive, but I feel good about the purchase. Loving my HREs.

To the OP,

You mentioned the car is all business with time attack in mind. With that in mind, I can't really understand why you are looking at wheels that require spacers. You say you want to stand out, but are looking at Vette wheels, like 90% of the people on this site. Can you clarify what you are looking for? And what is your budget?

Last edited by 87350IROC; 11-01-2012 at 05:32 PM.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:00 PM
COTM Editor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Car: 91 Z28, 87 SC, 90 IROC, 92 RS
Engine: LS1, 305 TPI, L98, NADA
Transmission: T56, 700r4's, and NADA
Axle/Gears: 3.89, 3.42, 3.23, NADA

Originally Posted by Twin_Turbo
might add rotiform too, looks the same also. They have a VERY nice concave star spoked wheel kind of like a snowflake that I like very much.

I think Rotiform is in a style all of their own. A Most of their stuff is high end 80/90's euro looking stuff with new school kick. None of the named above have styles that match theirs.

If I had a bird the Rotiform wheel posted above is one of the choices I would be looking at
Old 11-01-2012, 06:03 PM
Supreme Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Car: 88 Formula 350
Engine: 5.7
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 9" 3.89

Budget is around $1500-2000... As for all business, I don't like blingy wheels. The car is going to be driven hard almost all the time... Whether it be at a 1/4 or a time attack...

I would actually love an 80's set of Gotti 3 piece wheels... Only reason I am looking at vette wheels is because they are easy to find. I am actually trying to stay away from them and get something unique.

Last edited by Bullydawg; 11-01-2012 at 10:28 PM.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:04 PM
Supreme Member

Not the styles but the concave blanks that are machined all look the same, same stepped design. Th sna have a similar design to come of the others posted.

I AM looking at those wheels problem is they are around $8000 here... a bit much.

These are pure sex also

Last edited by Twin_Turbo; 11-01-2012 at 06:09 PM.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:11 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Bullydawg
Budget is around $1500... As for all business, I don't like blingy wheels. The car is going to be driven hard almost all the time... Whether it be at a 1/4 or a time attack...
Well I would never recommend a wheel with spacers. They are safe, but heavy and not my style. So with that said, it really limits the choices. Have you seen the CTW wheel? 17x9.5", lightweight, no spacers, lots of brake clearance, simple styling, and within your price range.

Old 11-01-2012, 07:54 PM
Supreme Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1985 IROC-Z
Engine: Magnacharged LS1
Axle/Gears: Ford 9" 4:11's

It should be noted, not all concave wheels are Chinese junk. You gotta do your homework before plunking down your money. There are a few companies in the states that are making high quality concave wheels.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know why, but rims like these would look good on your car. Or any firebird for that matter. Never seen ones like these on a firebird though. I'm sure someone on here has a set on their car. The first one is found at http://www.chipfoose.com/ws_display.asp?filter=Wheels, and the second set at http://www.bozeforged.com/mesh.html
Attached Thumbnails What Wheels should I get? *Formula White on Charcoal* PICS-spider_custom-150.jpg   What Wheels should I get? *Formula White on Charcoal* PICS-mesh1.gif  
Old 11-01-2012, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by Justin89Formy
I've always loved the Boze Pro Touring wheels

These are nice. Didnt notice this photo before I commented lol.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:10 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by 406TPI
It should be noted, not all concave wheels are Chinese junk. You gotta do your homework before plunking down your money. There are a few companies in the states that are making high quality concave wheels.
Yeah it's just frustrating how hard it is to weed out the good stuff from the garbage. Its amazing how many of these turn key cookie cutter wheel companies are around these days. You cant even judge by price as most of these imported boutique wheel companies charge an arm and a leg for their wheels.

Id really love to hear Paul Huryk on those CTW wheels. I'd love to hear his insights and I'd especially love to know if those wheels are up to the task of track duty. I think they look fantastic for the track car look too. I feel better that they're one piece, multi-spoke wheels too. The curves in the spokes add rigidity too. Multi-piece wheels are great, but I dont trust them unless theyre made by a company that specializes in racing wheels.

Last edited by InfernalVortex; 11-01-2012 at 09:19 PM.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:20 PM
Supreme Member

I have a strong hate for those CTW wheels to be honest. I think they look horrible. Sorry to the guy selling them, but they are not my cup of tea...

I agree with the spacers, I would like to avoid them as I would like for my future C5 brakes to be shown off a bit... but if I go with a mesh type wheel where the brakes are kind of hidden, then spacers won't matter much.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:25 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by BADNBLK
I think Rotiform is in a style all of their own. A Most of their stuff is high end 80/90's euro looking stuff with new school kick. None of the named above have styles that match theirs.
It definitely looks familiar...

Originally Posted by Twin_Turbo

I think you're right on the money. Their designs are a little more unique...

but...

http://importgenius.com/importers/rotiform-llc

Shipper

SHANDONG CHIRON AUTO PART CO.,LTD
HIGH-NEW TECH ZONE,DONGYIN CITY,SHA DONGYING,,CN 0086531-67808999

Port of Loading
Ching Tao

Declaration of Goods
ALLOY WHEELS

You can go on there and look up HRE, and it clearly shows them importing from England and Germany. Its hard to find every company, but it's not like ALL of them import from China.

Last edited by InfernalVortex; 11-01-2012 at 09:31 PM.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:57 PM
Supreme Member

It's hard to find a set of wheels that really compliment a 2 tone firebird with Charcoal on the bottom... Silver would be sooo much easier. haha

Last edited by Bullydawg; 11-01-2012 at 10:30 PM.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:05 PM
Supreme Member

Id really love to hear Paul Huryk on those CTW wheels. I'd love to hear his insights and I'd especially love to know if those wheels are up to the task of track duty. I think they look fantastic for the track car look too. I feel better that they're one piece, multi-spoke wheels too. The curves in the spokes add rigidity too. Multi-piece wheels are great, but I dont trust them unless theyre made by a company that specializes in racing wheels.
I have a wheel I am playing with right now, to check fit on my brake kits. They are JLW certified, just so you know. I do not know where they are produced. Check link for more pictures.

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/brak...brake-kit.html
Old 11-01-2012, 11:08 PM
Supreme Member

I have a strong hate for those CTW wheels to be honest. I think they look horrible. Sorry to the guy selling them, but they are not my cup of tea...

I agree with the spacers, I would like to avoid them as I would like for my future C5 brakes to be shown off a bit... but if I go with a mesh type wheel where the brakes are kind of hidden, then spacers won't matter much.
Everyone has their own tastes. In that case I would seriously look at what //<86TA>\\ did with a set of BMW wheels. I can't think of any other direct bolt on wheels that are wide enough for an "all business" car.

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/whee...t-pattern.html

Spacers wheels are a waste for this type of car, the spacer + extra set of studs + extra set of lugs is actually quite heavy.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:26 PM
Supreme Member

Where are OE wheel replica's produced? China?
Old 11-01-2012, 11:48 PM
Supreme Member

Where are OE wheel replica's produced? China?
Seems like a safe bet. They're also in Miami with all these other companies, and at that price point, and given the failures a few have had with them... China seems likely.

I asked them once about their certifications/load ratings or anything they could tell me about their wheels, and asked about a specific wheel. And they sent me an email saying only that "they meet manufacturer specifications"... yeah... okay. Whatever.

Originally Posted by 87350IROC
I have a wheel I am playing with right now, to check fit on my brake kits. They are JLW certified, just so you know. I do not know where they are produced. Check link for more pictures.

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/brak...brake-kit.html
If they're JWL certified it doesnt honestly matter all that much where they're produced. Those standards are hard to meet and fairly expensive.

Last edited by InfernalVortex; 11-02-2012 at 12:15 AM.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:49 PM
Supreme Member

And for those unawares... JWL is that goofy logo you see on your stock wheels...

It's actually a certification for the japanese market. Think of it like the "DOT" stamp you see on various parts, it's a certification saying something meets that standard.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JWL_standard

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=353224

What's Involved in These Tests?
I have to be honest here, so far I've only scanned through the JWL/VIA and SAE J2530. So experts please chime in

All these tests are based on the specific load rating of the wheel. For example, a wheel rated at 690 kg will be applied a load derived from 690 kg.

A higher rated wheel will be applied a higher load during the tests, and hence more durable. But of course when the load rating is unnecessarily high, the wheel may become too heavy. Below are the key tests that are performed:
Dynamic Cornering Fatigue Test - This is a test that simulates the forces/moments put on a wheel when the vehicle is turning a corner or going around a curve. For JWL, a bending moment (based on load rating, load radius, offset, etc.) is applied for at least 100,000 revolutions.

One interesting note here is JWL requires a higher safety factor (e.g. more load) for cast wheels (2.0) vs. forged (1.5). I guess this is why a properly designed cast wheel can be just as strong/durable as a forged wheel... but of course the cast may be heavier due to more material used.

Dynamic Radial Fatigue Test - The main purpose of this test is to check the durability of the wheel disc. This is a test that simulates the forces that the wheel experiences with a tire mounted and carrying the weight of the vehicle, passengers and/or cargo.

Here for JWL a radial force 2.25x the load rating is applied for over 500,000 revolutions!

Impact Test - This is a test designed to test the effect on the wheel in the event of an impact to the wheel such as hitting a pot hole or side impact into a curb. This test mainly checks for tire air retention and confirms the strength of the structure joining the rim and disc. The test basically involves the dropping of a weight at various locations on a wheel.

This stuff doesn't get mentioned much here... but I think it's important for you guys to... not necessarily agree with it, but at least be exposed to this stuff. You can all decide on your own how important you think this stuff is, but if you have a wheel that's JWL certified it's pretty safe to say you've got a nice piece of hardware. JWL is the most common rigorous one just because Japan requires it on wheels there. DOT wheel standards are a joke. There is no performance testing with a DOT wheel.

This also goes to show you how wheels are one of those areas that OEM's go through a lot of extra testing and design checking when aftermarket companies often cannot. JWL testing is expensive, and safety testing is expensive. If you're a company selling a bazillion cookie cutter wheels, getting them all JWL tested will literally cost you a fortune. These small, low volume wheel companies will rarely ever go through the trouble of getting these certifications, and they waive themselves out of all responsibilities through their published policies. The OEM's have to warranty their wheels through almost any usage. GM sent our cars to the Players challenge series with stock wheels, and they do this for promotional reasons. The aftermarket companies often dont have the motivation or resources to properly engineer, evaluate, and certify wheel designs. So if you see a company that goes the extra mile to make that happen you can feel confident they're quality wheels.

BBS wheel with JWL stamp at 9:30 just outside of the hub:
http://site.icbmotorsport.com/Wheels...SX_S2000_4.jpg

HRE wheels are not JWL, but TUV certified
http://www.hrewheels.com/blog/hre-explains-what-is-tuv/

So if you're looking for wheels, maybe this will help you ask the right questions.

Last edited by InfernalVortex; 11-02-2012 at 12:13 AM.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:55 AM
Supreme Member

Yeah it's just frustrating how hard it is to weed out the good stuff from the garbage. Its amazing how many of these turn key cookie cutter wheel companies are around these days. You cant even judge by price as most of these imported boutique wheel companies charge an arm and a leg for their wheels.
I don't know if you frequent sites like Lat G and PT.com but there are countless guys running 3 piece forged wheels for track cars. Companies like HRE, Forgeline, Formula 43 make very strong wheels that will hold up to the rigors of track days. Formula 43 is a very interesting company because they actually spin form their own rim shells right in Detroit as well as machine the centers. Top notch company.
Old 11-02-2012, 06:44 AM

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Car: 88 Trans Am Hardtop
Engine: 350 L98
Transmission: Stock 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.27 Aussie 9

Originally Posted by 406TPI
I don't know if you frequent sites like Lat G and PT.com but there are countless guys running 3 piece forged wheels for track cars. Companies like HRE, Forgeline, Formula 43 make very strong wheels that will hold up to the rigors of track days. Formula 43 is a very interesting company because they actually spin form their own rim shells right in Detroit as well as machine the centers. Top notch company.
http://www.formula43.com/

I was surprised to see the wheels cost a little less than HRE, Forgeline, Fikse etc. The Rad5 would look killer on this formula.

Oh, and the Rad S6 look incredible on Stielow's new car. Pics on their website.
Old 11-02-2012, 08:36 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by scholtmj
http://www.formula43.com/

I was surprised to see the wheels cost a little less than HRE, Forgeline, Fikse etc. The Rad5 would look killer on this formula.

Oh, and the Rad S6 look incredible on Stielow's new car. Pics on their website.
Yep, if they had a reverse mount wheel option, they would be on my car right now instead of what I have.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:19 AM
Supreme Member

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts
Car: 1 Owner 1986 TA with a WS6 package
Engine: 5.0 EFI
Transmission: THM700R4
Axle/Gears: 277 Posi Speedo

How about white on white,pluse these wheels are much lighter then the stock ones.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 88 GTA/86 C20 Burb/91 325i
Engine: L98/454/M20
Transmission: 700R4/NV4500/Getrag
Axle/Gears: 3.27 9-bolt/3.73 14 Bolt/3.73 IRS

Originally Posted by mantaguy
How about white on white,pluse these wheels are much lighter then the stock ones.
Aren't those stock 16" GTA wheels? The OP already said that he had those before, had sold them, and was looking for 17" wheels to clear bigger brakes... He clearly doesn't want to go back to them.

I would suggest looking at OEM BMW wheels. Lots of them came in 17", and there's quite a few designs that would look great next to the charcoal GFX. 86TA's bolt pattern correction, while not completely necessary, makes an already great swap the perfect match. If you stick with factory BMW wheels, you'll never have to worry about any wheel integrity issues.

-cal30sniper
Old 11-02-2012, 09:38 AM

Also, the 7-series uses nearly identical back-spacing to the F-body. If you go with some sort of 7-series rim like I have, and the 1LE hubs with the bigger brakes, you shouldn't need any spacers/adapters at all.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:14 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by cal30_sniper
Aren't those stock 16" GTA wheels? The OP already said that he had those before, had sold them, and was looking for 17" wheels to clear bigger brakes... He clearly doesn't want to go back to them.

I would suggest looking at OEM BMW wheels. Lots of them came in 17", and there's quite a few designs that would look great next to the charcoal GFX. 86TA's bolt pattern correction, while not completely necessary, makes an already great swap the perfect match. If you stick with factory BMW wheels, you'll never have to worry about any wheel integrity issues.

-cal30sniper
Yes the 7 series m parallel wheels do look nice. Another problem however is you cannot use the center caps. So the ugly bearing dust cap pokes through.

Regarding the bolt pattern issue. All I say is do your homework and don't trust some clown on the internet, myself included. I am currently in the process having aluminum hubs manufactured with dual 5x4.75" and 5x120mm bolt patterns. That would probably be the most ideal solution for most, as it also drops weight and adds the larger SET3 outer bearing. And a secondary bonus is the dust caps on these hubs are better looking than the stock stamped.

Picture of the stock hub dust cap poking through.

Last edited by 87350IROC; 11-02-2012 at 10:18 AM.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:05 PM

I have 17x9.5 & 17x11 replica ZR1 rims ( but I think the 17x11 ones might be AFS) they are 50mm offsets. They were powder coated when they were new by the previous owner and they have never been a problem.

These were on the previous owners 85-up Z28 with adapters.

maybe you can photochop these

Name:  newvette005.jpg
Views: 448
Size:  171.1 KB
Old 11-02-2012, 12:14 PM
Supreme Member

-cal30sniper
I missed the size he was looking for,I thought he was looking for a set of DDs
and these wheels were stock for 86 TAs
Old 11-02-2012, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by 87350IROC
Yes the 7 series m parallel wheels do look nice. Another problem however is you cannot use the center caps. So the ugly bearing dust cap pokes through.

Regarding the bolt pattern issue. All I say is do your homework and don't trust some clown on the internet, myself included. I am currently in the process having aluminum hubs manufactured with dual 5x4.75" and 5x120mm bolt patterns. That would probably be the most ideal solution for most, as it also drops weight and adds the larger SET3 outer bearing. And a secondary bonus is the dust caps on these hubs are better looking than the stock stamped.

Picture of the stock hub dust cap poking through.
M-pars wouldn't work if he's looking for a 17" wheel (unless you use a replica, where you possibly get into the same problems as the other questionable quality replicas).

Bearing caps are there, but there are definitely ways around that. My plan eventually is to use some sort of plastic or aluminum container that has a lip on it (I found that a Meguiars mag wheel polish can has exactly the same diameter lip as the center cap opening on the wheel), glue that in place, and use it as a base to mount something like the factory center cap back over the top). Not certain on the center cap opening of non-M-par 7-series wheels, but if you could find one with a more common center cap diameter, raised caps are readily available on eBay that will clip into the hole (search for BMW Gear style center cap on eBay).

Unfortunately, I just did some searching around, and BMW 7-series seemed to come with either 16" or 18" rims, and not much in between. Even BBS only offers one design that's 17" with a backspacing that will work on 5x120 pattern, and it's not really what you're looking for as far as design goes. (it's this design)

The OP has a bit of a dilemma here. He wants to stick to 17" wheels to broaden tire selection, but by doing so, drastically reduces wheel selection. If you want to show off your brake package, a 2" spacer behind a corvette wheel is going to defeat the purpose (not to mention the added weight of the spacer, lugs, and lug nuts, which as already mentioned, is significant). I was leaning towards Ronals for this case, but that's not something he wants to do either.

You really might consider expanding your selection to 18" rims (tires are readily available in that size), or having a set of custom backspaced rims made by a company in the size you want. If you're going to a 17" rim to save money over 18" tires, you're not saving very much, and you're going to spend way more having a rim custom made in 17" than you'd ever pay just buying 18" tires. I don't know the cost of a custom machined hub, but I'm betting it would be exactly the same situation there.

Basically, the exact wheel you are looking for doesn't really exist. If you want to have custom rims made, you're going to have to pay big bucks. The only thing out there that's really close to what you're looking for is the Ronal, but it is also going to hide your brakes. If you're okay with that, you might consider having a set of Ronals powdercoated a darker gunmetal color to flow better with the GFX. That would definitely be unique, and I bet it would look pretty good too.
Old 11-02-2012, 01:35 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1988 GTA 5-spd TPI
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Transmission: T-5 baby
Axle/Gears: 3.45

Having ordered a stock TA from the factory, I may be wrong but I dont think so...
I believe what you show are 16" cross-lace rims that came out in 87, but in 1986 there was only one type of 16" rim that I am aware of stock and that was these:

as used in advertising
in silver
or in in gold

and stock 15's also had a similar look
Old 11-02-2012, 01:53 PM

Factory crosslace T/A wheels were 15x7". If you had a WS6 car, you got the Formula style 16x8" wheels like were just posted, or the 16x8" GTA style wheels (I don't know what year exactly the transition was, but I'm betting it was 87 since that's when the GTA came out).

Regardless, a lot of y'all are posting wheel designs that are definitely not available in 17". A wheel show is all fine and good, but rims only available in 18-19" and up are not helping out the OP.
Old 11-02-2012, 02:24 PM
Supreme Member

These came out on the late 86 TAs
Became available on the latter 86s
Old 11-02-2012, 02:30 PM
Supreme Member

M-pars wouldn't work if he's looking for a 17" wheel (unless you use a replica, where you possibly get into the same problems as the other questionable quality replicas).

You really might consider expanding your selection to 18" rims (tires are readily available in that size), or having a set of custom backspaced rims made by a company in the size you want. If you're going to a 17" rim to save money over 18" tires, you're not saving very much, and you're going to spend way more having a rim custom made in 17" than you'd ever pay just buying 18" tires. I don't know the cost of a custom machined hub, but I'm betting it would be exactly the same situation there.
Agreed he needs to start looking at 18's. There is no shortage of tire options for 18's.
Old 11-02-2012, 02:33 PM
Supreme Member

Your right IMissMy86TA,my car came with them originally,I changed them this year when I herd that these became available on the later 86 models.I want to keep the car 100% stock.
Old 11-02-2012, 02:44 PM
Supreme Member

I think 17's look better on these cars than 18's. Not by a huge amount, but to me 17's really are the perfect size. 19s+ look bad unless they're an 18/19 staggered set. (and no amount of showing me nice cars with big wheels is going to change my mind on that, I've likely seen them)

I'd stick to 17's too. Just suits the cars better generally. There are some 18s that look really nice though, I think those m-parallels are 18's right?

Also, I think a little too much is made of the weight of spacers. It IS a weight increase, but if you compare to, for example, stock 91-92 wheels... the wheel face is flat, and then there's a really deep hub area that goes all the way down to the hub face. Adding spacers (which are hollow, drilled for multiple sets of lug nuts, studs, and made of aluminum) to a wheel taht doesn't go so far inboard from the wheel face isnt really goign to add that much more weight.

Basically you're just lopping off the back of hte center hub of the wheel and making it removable. Just because it's a separate piece doesn't make it heavier.

Now the extra weight in lug nuts and studs is significant, but it's still not OMG XBOX HUGE.

If you bolt on, for example, some C5 Z06 wheels, which are VERY lightweight unless you by the replica Z06 wheels, you can get wheels + spacers that are lighter than some of our factory 16 inch wheels. Adapters add a little to unsprung weight, the extra studs and lugnuts add a little more, but they are not going to have a huge impact on rotational weight because they're so close to the hub.

If you're wanting to get some giant chrome wheels the way so many on TGO like to, worrying about the weight of spacers is just sort of missing the point.
Old 11-02-2012, 03:33 PM
Supreme Member

I don't mind widening choices to 18s... Just looking for that perfect set... I will look into BMW wheels a bit more and if I go that route I will see if I can borrow 87TAs tool to correct them.

Any other suggestions? I know what I want is pretty impossible to find... Seems like its either crappy wheels for cheap or Crappy/Quality wheels for a grip... No middle ground.

I just can't justify spending 6k for a set of wheels for a 3rd gen... No offense, because I have spent 10k on my car just this year... so it's not like I am being cheap. Just in that much for wheels, I could buy a pretty sweet stocker GTA or Iroc.

I see where you are coming from weight wise... I would like to keep my Formula around 3200lbs, and spacers are going to make it a bit tougher.
Old 11-02-2012, 04:03 PM

The M-pars are 18" (18x8" front, 18x9.5" rear, 15mm offset front, 25mm offset rear).

Another great option that came on the 1998-2001 7-series is this rim:

They are available in 18x8" front and 18x9" rear with 20/22mm offsets respectively. Might require a touch of spacer front and rear, but nothing over 10mm, which is very doable. If you could change out the BMW center cap for a WS6 or Firebird centercap, I think it would look really cool and quite unique on your Formula.

I've never really like 18" rims with 35 series tires on F-bodies. However, 40 series tires readily fit on an 18" rim in the F-body fenderwells with no rubbing issues. The added sidewall height really makes the 18" rims look better, IMO.

-cal30sniper
Old 11-02-2012, 04:12 PM

I don't know anything about the following two wheel brands, but they both list 17x8" wheels for the 5x120mm pattern with a 20mm offset. I liked these two designs, but you'd have to research the quality of the manufacture before setting your sights on them:

1. Voxx MG3780-5120-20SML

http://www.andysautosport.com/custom...c=VOXX00150184

2. Privat Rival RL7852020S

http://www.andysautosport.com/custom...c=PRVT00150174

Also, here's a better picture I found of that 18" crosslace rim:
Old 11-02-2012, 04:40 PM
Supreme Member

I don't know anything about the following two wheel brands, but they both list 17x8" wheels for the 5x120mm pattern with a 20mm offset. I liked these two designs, but you'd have to research the quality of the manufacture before setting your sights on them:
I assumed an 8" wheel was out of the question. If thats in the ballpark. I would probably just try to find a used set of the SLP "ZR1" direct fit wheels. 17x8".

Not my photo.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:44 PM
Supreme Member

8" wheel is out of the question...

I want to be able to run at least a 275 tire...

Does anyone know who makes the Year One 17" snowflake wheel?
Old 11-02-2012, 06:44 PM
Supreme Member

China
Old 11-03-2012, 12:32 AM
Supreme Member

American Racing makes wheels in China now too. Does that make them bad? Im not sure. If they're JWL then I wouldnt worry all that much about it.

That guy thinks its a big deal... but eh... might just be a one off thing.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:38 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 91 formula
Engine: 350 tuned port. bolt ons
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.73

I say Torq thurst 2s. Of course Mine are are 16 inchs but man do they look nice. If you want to stand out from the crowd at car shows then maybe go another way because every year i go to shows there are a handful of muscle cars with this rims. But boy do i love mine.
Attached Thumbnails What Wheels should I get? *Formula White on Charcoal* PICS-staples-bl-022.jpg   What Wheels should I get? *Formula White on Charcoal* PICS-gta-wheels-sale-005.jpg  
Old 11-09-2012, 12:21 AM
Supreme Member

I'm currently really digging these wheels, except I will get them with a stepped lip, and have the face painted to match the bottom of my car... what do you guys think. Will be setup so I don't have to run spacers also...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/221080808436...84.m1423.l2649
Here they are with a stepped lip... Just picture the centers painted to match the charcoal on the bottom...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cobra-Series...item3379716c0b
Old 11-09-2012, 12:57 AM
Supreme Member

I'm currently really digging these wheels, except I will get them with a stepped lip, and have the face painted to match the bottom of my car... what do you guys think. Will be setup so I don't have to run spacers also...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/221080808436...84.m1423.l2649
Here they are with a stepped lip... Just picture the centers painted to match the charcoal on the bottom...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cobra-Series...item3379716c0b
Just be careful and make sure you know what you are getting into. Its basically impossible to make a custom wheel in the US for$300/ea. I highly doubt they are being 100% truthful.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:15 AM
Supreme Member

I'm aware its pretty doubtful... But the fact I can get them to the spec I want is quite appealing and I really like the style... Opinions on wheel style? Not the quality...
Old 11-09-2012, 01:26 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1988 Camaro
Engine: 377
Transmission: TH350; Circle D 4200 converter
Axle/Gears: Ford 9"

I found some SS wheels and threw my own spin on them. I paid a local powdercoating place to give them a new look. Maybe something like this is up your alley? I haven't gotten them mounted yet, unfortunately.

Old 11-09-2012, 09:20 AM
Supreme Member

I'm aware its pretty doubtful... But the fact I can get them to the spec I want is quite appealing and I really like the style... Opinions on wheel style? Not the quality...
Hmmm, I read the auction a little closer. It appears to be a 2pc American Racing wheel. That would give me more confidence. Based on the style, I would imagine the brake clearance is not very good. On top of that, I wonder if the back pad is thick enough to cover the whole front spindle snout?

I would find out this information before I bought them. And I would probably not buy them off ebay, but that is just me.

Regarding the style, to me it looks like something that should be on a Shelby Cobra replica. But everyone has their own taste.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:31 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by DeltaElite121
I found some SS wheels and threw my own spin on them. I paid a local powdercoating place to give them a new look. Maybe something like this is up your alley? I haven't gotten them mounted yet, unfortunately.

http://sphotos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphoto...831448253_o.jp

http://sphotos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphoto...19908982_o.jpg
These wheels look REALLY nice in competition gray, too. I think they look awful in that fake aluminum silver paint the factory puts on them.

Quick Reply: What Wheels should I get? *Formula White on Charcoal* PICS