Auto Detailing and Appearance Share tips and tricks on how to make your Third Gen shine! Get opinions on products or how something tasteful looks on your Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird.

Craigslist hood score...

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 10:26 PM
Supreme Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: Vortec headed 355, xe262
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt 3.70
Craigslist hood score...

Skip to the ************ to skip excessive narrative.

I had my old flat hood for a while, then scored a cheap cowl hood (in the sig) that I bought damaged mostly because its the only cowl hood Ive ever seen on these cars that I've liked. Looks to be a copy of the Cervini's hood I think. I did the repairs to it as well as I could and learned a lot, but I missed the boat on a few things and 2 years later I had some serious cracking in the repair spots, I suppose I didnt get the moisture sealed out of it as well as I needed to.

So I went back to my flat hood which apparently had a rough time in storage, fell over and developed some rust spots, clear was even worse than before from all the time in the elements.

I traded for an IROC hood that was rusty, but it had some nice louvers on it, so I took the trade hopnig to salvage the hood... didn't work. Found huge rust bubbles that had eaten the thing up.

So then I figured what the hell I turned a $50 broken fiberglass hood into some nice louvers, that's not a terrible trade. Then my girlfriend got mad at me over something stupid and smashed one. There goes that...

So in the meantime I got another IROC hood:

Covered in sludge, but straight. Didnt need any body work, no rust, real surprised. Figured I could clean all that tree sap off of it and make it work. But finding a set of louvers/blisters for less than $300 proved to be a bit of a challenge when I had the money.

And then I find this on craigslist for 75 bucks.

I cleaned it up and Ive gotten more and more surprised by how nice it is the more I cleaned it up. Its an 82 LG4 (no functional flaps) fiberglass hood. The clearcoat is long gone to GM heaven, but half my car is in the process of shedding its clear anyway, so it matches surprisingly well. I've even got some absolutely pristine looking RED front ground fx from a 91-92 car that I havent installed because the paint on it looks so much better than what I have. I'm saving it for a repaint.

Theres a few small nicks in the hood that need attention when I paint it, but no real rot. I had to drill out a few broken off bolts, and fortunately I got them out and got it retapped and managed to save it.

So do you guys think I should leave it as is with the terrible lack of clear, or should I flat black the hood? I know some people hate that look, but it has a lot of historical precedence, and even the new 1LE's have black hoods. The main advantage to me is no need to color match to my old garbage red paint. The car needs and deserves a paintjob, and it will get one. I've kept it maintained and happy for 6 years now, it's not going anywhere for another 60 if I can help it. So the last thing I want to do is spend money I dont have to properly color match it to faded paint, and a full paint job is off the board right now.

Last edited by InfernalVortex; 09-02-2012 at 10:30 PM.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:02 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1986 camaro Sports Coupe
Engine: L31 350
Transmission: 89 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 gov lock
Re: Craigslist hood score...

i gave one of those hoods away lol. i hated it
Old 09-03-2012, 08:28 AM
Supreme Member

Oh they're my favorite, and theyre so light! Yum!
Old 09-03-2012, 10:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1988 camaro sports coupe
Engine: Fast Burn 385
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt w/ 3.27 gears

I picked up a functional one in near perfect shape last year for $125. Thank god for people with questionable taste. They're light for sure. Plus they fit perfectly, they're from the factory. For $75 bucks, thats an excellent score. Did it come with black stickers in the recesses, or is that just the functional ones?

Paint it black until you get a full repaint. I'm not the biggest fan of black hoods, (primarily cause they're trendy and lots of people spraypaint their stock flat hood and wheels flat black) but those actually look really good black. Seen it on a car here a WHILE back. Might have even been a red car.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:08 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by cavazos31
I'm not the biggest fan of black hoods, (primarily cause they're trendy and lots of people spraypaint their stock flat hood and wheels flat black) but those actually look really good black. Seen it on a car here a WHILE back. Might have even been a red car.

Wow, good catch. Found it at the top of the member's camaro boards:

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/memb...lege-kids.html

Name:  DSCN0549.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  432.7 KB
Old 09-04-2012, 09:21 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1987 T/A WS6 T-Tops/92 RS
Engine: LB9/3.1
Transmission: 700R4/700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.73/3.23