10-16-2013, 10:03 PM
Join Date: Sep 2012
Car: 86 Camaro IROC
Engine: LB9 5.0
The ongoing project: '90 Camaro "Cammy"
| *Very Picture Heavy* |
So my friend Austin wanted me to share with you his '90 Camaro project, as he is pretty new to this site and doesn't quite know how to work it and what not. It has been a project since the beginning of summer, but now the car is really starting to come to life.
Getting the car:
My friend Austin has always been a third gen fan all of his life. Growing up, he's always had posters, model cars, and signs in his collection. But now that he was 16, he decided he wanted a real car. After saving up two summer's worth of work, he decided to find a car. After searching CL, and sorting through junker rust buckets, he finally found his ride for 1500 bucks off some lady who was itching to sell it.
He was told it was a 350 swap, he saw the Holley carb, so he thought it could be true. Got the car home, ran the numbers, and turn outs it was originally a TBI 305 (actually swapped in from a C10 or other truck?), with swap to a carb. Bummer, but hey, it's still a SBC!
Bringing the car back to life
After going through the car, we found a lot of things that were not supposed to be here. Rust holes in the floorboard and fire wall, ghetto rigged fuel pump and sender unit "fix". So we went to town tearing the car down and making it right, and also throwing in some new parts in on the way.
Interior tear down
Welding said holes
There was much more fixing to be done, but I only have so many pictures to share.
The build up:
So the car was already a blast to drive, but who doesn't want more power? The quest has begun to build up the top end of the motor. He is trying to get near the 300 hp mark.
Getting ready for cam, rockers, pushrods, and other misc.
There is still much more that has been done, but it is kind of hard to document every little thing. Have car guys ever been organized? Not really, haha.
How "Cammy" looks now:
It has been a great project so far, and there is still much more to come. It has been a mix of laughter, fun, but also pain, and upset. Cammy is seeing the true love that all third gen's deserve. She was a run down car that was ready for the crusher, but Austin is glad to say that he has successfully saved a third gen from being scrapped, and I have been grateful to see this unfold before my own eyes. Here is a list of some misc. mods that have been put on the car.
Engine:305 TBI (was swapped in)
- 4150 Holley 600cfm mech 2nd's
- Jeggs Racing cam: .469/482. lift (flat tappet)
- 1.6 roller rockers
- new lifters
- new pushrods
- 65k v HEI distributor
- 10.5 wires
- New headers
- changed to V belt set up
- water pump
- A/C delete
- new fuel pump, external 115 gph (non-TBI pump)
- new regulator
- gear-driven timing
- and of course, the 5 inch air cleaner for the 4 inch cowl
- 2.73 Posi (junkyard pull)
- New front rotors and calipers
- New black carpet
- Blue LEDs for gauges
- Sunpro Tach
- Kenwood HU
- Re-dyed rear panels
- Gold GTA Rims + Tires
- 4 Inch Fiberglass Cowl
Here is a link to the whole album where you can see all of the pics of the project: http://s1286.photobucket.com/user/seanskapik/library/
Well that is the car so far. There is still much more to come, but we have hit kind of a "milestone" for Cammy. I'll try to keep this thread updated as much as I can.
I hope you all enjoy the thread, let me know if you guys want to hear any more details on the car.
Thanks for reading!