Members Firebirds Post pictures and information about your Third Gen Base, SE, Formula, Trans Am, and GTA Firebirds!

Old Member, new project

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 09:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 84 Camaro 2.8L, 85 T/A 305 LG4
Old Member, new project

Hi guys. I am back, and with a new pile. I used to post here a bit when I had my last 85 Trans Am, which I sold back in 2012. I also have an 84 Camaro SC and a 96 Firebird, but I was missing my old 85 T/A and came across a good deal on a really solid car so I picked it up.

It's another 85 T/A, 305 4bbl carb, 4-wheel discs. 132,000 original kms and I got it off the second owner, a 74 year old woman. She'd owned the car since 89 and says she never took it out in any kind of increment weather. The car is filthy and needs it's fair share of work, but the body is 100% rust free! Even underneath, you just don't find them like this anymore, especially here in the rust belt. So I am happy to have it, even if it isn't perfect.

I just got the car home today and it's FREEZING out here, so I didn't get to play with it much, but I've identified a few issues. I'll work on fixing them up over the next couple months (once the weather warms up!), but I was hoping to get some initial thoughts on causes/solutions:

-Brakes: It might just be me (it's been 2 years since I've driven a third gen) but the pedal seems to be a little soft, it doesn't go to the floor, but it feels kinda squishy. Also, if I hammer them, the wheels do not lock up. No obvious leaks, fluid is right up at the full mark. Rotors/pads look decent. I am thinking maybe a weak master cylinder?

-Steering/Suspension: It rides pretty good and seems to track reasonably straight on the short low speed test drive I took. However, I can here a crunching/popping sound up front when I turn the wheels at low speeds and/or low speed bumps (like turning up into my driveway). Not sure what this might be? Steering doesn't feel overly sloppy.

-Headlight motors: Surprisingly I've never had issues with these in my other Birds, so this will be a learning experience. One headlight comes up and doesn't go back down. The other only comes up an inch or two, then won't move (up or down). Gears? Grounds? Relays?

-Lighting: Exterior lighting is a disaster. Firstly, when I put the switch in the parking light position I get nothing...literally nothing on. If I flip over to headlights I get the front center parking lights on and the headlights...nothing else. Brake lights and reverse lights do work. Fogs lights do not work either. With that many lights out I am thinking there are some grounding issues or some bad fuses? I also noticed that my signals work fine with the lights off, but go all wonky when I turn the headlights on. Can anyone tell me where the grounds for the lighting system are? And which fuses to check? This is something I'd like to get fixed asap.

And now onto the photos....like I said, filthy. It's too cold to wash anything too, so it'll have to stay filthy until the weather turns around.

Name:  25E15F81-AD47-444B-9B53-2BAFEA62A321.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  126.6 KB

Name:  26A3DCFA-EAB7-40CA-86C3-5AE9445152F7.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  133.3 KB

Name:  1DC195C2-06D0-4424-81B6-ABD2285D9AC2.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  89.0 KB

Name:  DA87B288-4BA8-4A10-8302-6ABF4FAC564D.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  100.2 KB

Name:  4EA634C9-0F27-4F4A-A234-059E2FE5DA3B.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  123.0 KB

Name:  CE0FBEAD-DC05-4975-8871-A08449B896D4.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  72.9 KB
Old 01-25-2015, 10:21 PM

Car: 88 GTA Ta
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Transmission: Auto
Re: Old Member, new project

Hey

Im an ontario lad as well. In regards to the front end noise I picked up my car in August with 125k and I have the same issue. Ive narrowed it down to front struts and strut mounts. These being original are due!!!! If you're ever in the east GTA look me up.
Old 01-25-2015, 10:46 PM

Cool. I actually get out to the East GTA more often than I'd like. I live in the West End (Mississauga), but I work in mid-town Toronto and I had a lot of friends in the East end, so they pull me out there, lol. We'll have to meet up once the weather warms up.

Struts and mounts were my first thoughts to. Have you done any research into where to get them locally?
Old 01-26-2015, 04:59 AM

Car: 88 GTA Ta
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Transmission: Auto

I'm going with KyB as I just can't justify 1000 on Koni. ROCKAUTO seems to be the best price I can find. Performance improvements was out to lunch and I can't seem to find them for locally for even close to Rock.
Old 02-14-2015, 06:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1992 Formula 350
Engine: 5.7 L98
Transmission: 700R4

Awesome find my friend. I had the same exact color setup on a 1986 I owned. I wound up getting rid of the two tone scheme and went with just the silver. Good luck with it.
Old 02-15-2015, 11:52 PM

Thanks man! I haven't seen many in silver at all. I am dying for the weather to get warm enough for me to work on it!
Old 04-14-2015, 12:19 PM

Re: The Dirty Bird 85 Trans Am

Alright, big update I guess. I’ve been working on the carfor about a month and a half now and finally as of last weekend have it on theroad. So far here’s what I’ve done (that I can recall):

-Fixed the wiring for the front light system (bad groundsand fuses)
-Replaced just about every light bulb on the car
-New hood light supports
-Rebuilt rear brake calipers (with recall kit)
-New brake flex lines (rear so far)
-New brake master cylinder
-New belts
-Oil Change
-Rear sway bar links
-front sway bar bushings
-Cut & polished the paint
-Interior cleaned
-Center console repaired
-Passenger side power window motor

With the above done I put a couple hundred miles on it overthe weekend and it’s driving great, I can’t believe how tight and nice it ridesfor a 30 year old car. Really happy with it J

My initial goal was to get it reliable and driving well, nowthat we’re there I’ll slow down a bit and take care of the rest at a moreenjoyable pace, lol.

Next plans are:
-Replace power steering pump (found a very minor leak at theinput seal)
-New front sway bar links and rear sway bar bushings

And some cosmetics:
-4th gen seats (I already have a set to go in)
-Reupholster headliner
-Refinish the rims
-Do something about the old shitty spoiler
-Tint the Ttops really dark (5%) because the sun comingthrough tends to bug me.

I will make some time to do a proper photoshoot soon, butuntil then here’s some shots I’ve taken with my phone recently:
Old 04-14-2015, 02:08 PM

Car: 87 TA
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: LSD

Originally Posted by PAFORM350
Awesome find my friend. I had the same exact color setup on a 1986 I owned. I wound up getting rid of the two tone scheme and went with just the silver. Good luck with it.
Did exactly the same with mine, silver is rare over here in UK too. haven't seen another one in years.

Looks like a very clean car, sort of miss my charcoal ground effects now

Last edited by banker; 04-14-2015 at 02:09 PM. Reason: update
Old 04-14-2015, 09:54 PM
Supreme Member

Received 152 Likes on 97 Posts
Car: 1984 T/A
Engine: LQ4
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: Ford 8.8 4.10 gears

project is moving along nicely!
Old 07-07-2015, 01:06 PM

UPDATE:
Since my last post I've been regularly driving the car and continuing to fix all the little things that have gone wrong, or just look crappy.

Almost as soon as I got it on the road the power steering pump started leaking, so I replaced the pump and lines.

Front sway bar links and bushings were junk, so I replaced them with new MOOGs.

Next the heater core started leaking. So I replaced that, luckily I was able to do it without removing the dash. I did a complete system flush as the same time.

The idle was always a little rough, but it never stalled out so I didn't worry about it much. Then one night it finally stalled out at a light, and then stalled a few more times the next day. I went through it and did a quick tune up (air filter, fuel filter, spark plugs, PCV) and checked all the vacuum lines for leaks. I also tweaked the mixture and idle setting on the carb just a bit. That seemed to smooth things out pretty good.

It gets really hot inside the damn thing with the glass T-tops above you, so for ***** and giggles I decided to play around with the AC. Had a buddy pull a vacuum on the system and then I re-filled it with some RedTek and a Stop Leak. I did a half arsed leak check at all the accessible joint with some soapy water and everything seemed tight. System has been blowing ice cold for about a month now, so that's pretty sweet, gotta love a 30 year old car with working AC

Next the front brake pads started rattling like crazy in the calipers, so installed new pad and hardware, which took care of that.

From a cosmetic standpoint I've been focused mostly on the interior, which was trashed. I've replaced the dash pad, seat belt receivers, installed 4th gen seats (from a 97 Formula) and steam cleaned the carpets. I still need to redo the headliner (hopefully this coming week). I've also painted the T-top trim piece and have been keeping a fresh coat of wax on the paint.

Aside from doing the headliner I still want to touchup some scrapes on the cladding, re-finish the rims and repaint the trim around the hatch. Other than that I am just driving it and enjoying it.
Old 07-07-2015, 01:08 PM

Taken prior to replacing the belts!

Old 07-14-2015, 01:32 PM

Looking good...
Old 07-14-2015, 04:31 PM

Received 76 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 1988 Trans Am w/ WS6