Auto Detailing and Appearance Share tips and tricks on how to make your Third Gen shine! Get opinions on products or how something tasteful looks on your Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird.

The Character

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 07:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 camaro z28
Engine: 5.7
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.23
The Character

I was wondering what you all think the third gen camaros/firebirds personality and character they give off
Old 09-28-2016, 11:00 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: The Character

They are now older cars. The condition of the car, just like other cars, can give a specific car a specific vibe. One can be in great condition or not. It could range from trashy to awesome.

In general though, they are entering a stage where they are considered classics or will be soon. Many junky ones have entered the scrapyard so the good ones remain. They are becoming more rare and more valuable.

Personality/character is built upon one's past. Try to name off 80's cars that look good/sporty and you will find they are very, very few as in maybe a half dozen. According to today's standards the horsepower levels aren't that high but again look at other cars from that time period. A thirdgen even had its own popular TV show at the time (knight rider).

I see thirdgens as having a great history. They were ahead of their time. They probably weigh 500-1000 pounds less than these heavy and ugly V8 cars being built today. My small 90s 4x4 extended cab pickup truck weighs just as much or less than most of today's V8 cars.

Classic, sharp, sleek, lightweight, malicious, American, one of the best from its era.

Last edited by Firebat; 09-28-2016 at 11:06 PM.
Old 09-29-2016, 08:01 AM
Supreme Member

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts
Car: '87 FIREGOOSE!!!!

I think the attitude of the mull*t and 80's rocker is falling away, lol. People today see these cars and often take a second glance, the lines of the cars are sharp and eye catching. And when you see a well taken care of example or one that has been modded, from mild - wild, they can really stand out in a crowd.
Kind of like a Buick Grand National, you don't see them that often, but when you do, you stop to take that extra time to admire it.
Old 09-29-2016, 11:14 AM
Supreme Member

Received 238 Likes on 184 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3:42 Auburn

These cars exude character! These cars defined an era, weather you love them or hate them you know about them. The styling resembles the Ferrari's of the day. They were and still are a fun car to drive. They Made a racing series with these cars that pretty much made any sports car, race fan want one of these. Even to this day when I drive my car I can't but help to notice all the people taking a look. The stigma is fading and the respect is slowly coming and I think in the very near future so will the demand for the ones that survived and are still in decent shape. You did post this on a third gen site so there may be a little bias here!
Old 09-29-2016, 12:05 PM
Supreme Member

Received 97 Likes on 62 Posts
Car: 88GTA
Engine: 5.7TPI
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: 3.27

IDK...In 85 I was 23 and ordered my first T/A. I was in the Air Force and the big hair, Hair bands, and all that was the thing. I couldn't partake in the Mulle*t due to being in the military, but dated many girls with the big hair. You bought a Camaro, Firebird, or Mustang GT/LX....period. That's what was offered. The music, hair, and cars of the 80's was what it was. I loved the 80's. It was a time in my own life that I have made many many great memories and friends. The 3rd gen was a dog, but also the thing to have.

I don't recall ANY of my friends back then say...."Hey, I gonna run down to Toyota and buy a Corolla!" They went to Chevrolet, Pontiac, or that other place and went in debt......And Liked It!!! JMO