Auto Detailing and Appearance Share tips and tricks on how to make your Third Gen shine! Get opinions on products or how something tasteful looks on your Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird.

COTM

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2016, 04:40 PM
COTM Editor (Retired)

Received 82 Likes on 42 Posts
Car: 89 Formula 350, TTA
COTM

It has been a great year for COTM - one only needs to look at these results. It was a fun and interesting format (Top Dog by Various Trims) but a new year is upon us and it is time to go in a new direction.

2016's format was submitted by a member here. again, and as always, i am open to new suggestions. as of right now, i am thinking about a more open format, but that is mainly because this year's format was so very specific. i'd be glad to hear any and all suggestions, either in this thread or by PM if you prefer.

In my opinion, the COTM Program has room for improvement. Most notably, for me, would be in the area of PARTICIPATION.

there are nearly 200,000 members on TGO. and every month COTM voter participation is between 60 and 80 members. that's between about 0.3 and 0.4 percent voter turnout. abysmal.

Apathy might not be the only reason for this. another possible reason might be that the COTM is "hidden"in the Auto Detailing and Appearance section. although its is one of the more popular sections, there are a lot of members here who gravitate to the more technical/mechanical forums.

so a possible solution might be COTM becoming its own forum. most people have their profile set up to take them straight to the Forums Page. if more casual users and technical pupils and gurus saw a Car of the Month forum while scrolling down to the TPI, LSx, Exhaust, or whatever forums, they might check it out.

thats just an idea. i dont know that its a great idea, and it would be for JT and/or the powers that be to decide. but at a consistent three or four hundredths of a percent voter participation, i don't know if we are an electoral college or a niche at this point.

another idea is reducing the contests to a quarterly basis. while that would give people more time to come up with, not to mention (RESEARCH and vet) nominees, it would also very likely result in the **Nomination, Voter, and Winner** threads stagnating.

finally, something i need from you guys...

better research on some of the nominees.
* maybe contact them and make sure that they are interested in participating before nominating them.
* if they don't have good pictures, and probably aren't going to take good pictures...please don't nominate them.
* the best pictures are ones that are clear, full sized, are not "doctored", and do not have Copy Right information on them.
* and nominees, if you are nominated and don't have good pictures, take some good pictures. an example of a bad picture is an interior shot that shows dirt and debris on the floor mat. for TGO Car of the Month, i find that very bothersome.

the **Nomination** process is the lengthiest part of each contest in order to give people time to give due consideration to the above.

There will be no COTM **Nominations** this month, BUT there will be **Voting**. that thread will go up shortly.

The criteria for December 2016 will be **WILD CARD** .

The winner for December 2016 COTM who will join the list of COTM winners depicted above will be one of eleven runner-ups from this past year.
i like it.

Last edited by Linson; 11-08-2016 at 04:46 PM.
Old 11-08-2016, 04:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1992 Polo Green RS Z03
Engine: L03 - 5.0 Liter V8 TBI
Transmission: MD8 – 4 SPD Auto
Axle/Gears: GU2 - 2:73 Ratio
Re: COTM

Proud to be November's COTM . . . A dedicated forum page certainly might get more people to participate . .
Old 11-08-2016, 05:05 PM
Supreme Member

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro B4C
Engine: 305
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.42

Successful car forums are just as focused on people as they are on cars. If you want COTM voting traffic, you need to get the people who own or like thirdgens together via a logically structured forum.

If I were to take over TGO, my first changes would be:

1. Rebrand from a thirdgen techboard to a thirdgen community board (of which tech is a sub-community within).

2. To go with this rebrand, there would be a new forum called "General Thirdgen Discussion." Most other car forums have similar forums, and they end up being the first landing spot for people as they open the forum.

3. Stickied at the top of General Thirdgen Discussion would be the current COTM nomination and then voting thread. There would be a sub forum that archived all nomination threads and all winners once their month was up.

And that's just day 1 of my first 100 days plan.

Can anybody guess what IB would sell TGO for? Would they even let it go? I imagine profits from these places are marginal at best, and pooling multiple forums like they're doing is how they sustain their revenues/profits.
Old 11-08-2016, 05:27 PM
COTM Editor (Retired)

@KMK454.

when you're right, you're right.

it seems like a conversation that has been had numerous times. i personally have always been in favor of something like that, and never quite really understood the resistance to it.

and this is why the Detailing and Appearance Forum, along with the History and Originality Forum have become de facto (although half-***) General Discussion forums. its human nature. its gonna happen. why fight it, i've never understood.

and yes, all the Mustang boards have that. the 4th Gen/LS boards have that...along with a thriving aftermarket...
damn...we really are the red-headed step children.
Old 11-08-2016, 06:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 92 RS
Engine: LT1
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.73

Agreed^ but if a overhaul isn't in the discussion a COTM forum might generate some participation.
Old 11-08-2016, 07:38 PM
COTM Editor

Received 1,855 Likes on 1,270 Posts
Car: '89 Firebird
Engine: 7.0L
Transmission: T56

I can only speak for myself but I think my view is probably typical of other outsiders to the COTM scene.

Bottom line is the COTM behaves like a small private club and it is too difficult for outsiders to break through the wall. (unless you're Twin_Turbo and you just nominate yourself ) A very small subset of people are very active at nominating and patting each other on the back so you see the same damn cars over and over and over.... and over.... and it gets old and boring REALLY quick. Do you realize your idea for this month is just a continuation of that endless circular loop? We've already seen those cars! Get them the hell out of here and find some fresh faces!

Awareness isn't the problem, everybody is already aware this thread exists. You don't get new people coming in because most people aren't paying attention any more. If you really want fresh faces and fresh cars, then challenge all the regulars to search the boards for new cars to nominate (that means go outside the Appearance forum). And if they nominate the same car as last time then ban their *** for a month.
Old 11-09-2016, 12:42 AM
COTM Editor (Retired)

@QwkTrip

Thank you for that very straightforward input. And I believe what you're saying.

And believe me when I say that I have challenged the regulars, on many occasions, to think outside of their 'comfort zones.' I've even tried to facilitate that by creating a sticky thread where any member (that includes you) can 'propose' future nominees.

In other words, it's also encumbant on people such as yourself, from other sub forums, to show up with some nominations. I would like to facilitate that by lobbying to make COTM more visible... but people like you still gotta show up and participate. The nomination (and voting) process are open to everyone.

Last edited by Linson; 11-09-2016 at 12:50 AM.
Old 11-09-2016, 03:32 AM
On Probation

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Car: 88 Camaro vert/86 SC
Engine: 355 tbi/2.8 V6
Transmission: 700R4/T5
Axle/Gears: 2.72 posi/3.42 open

Hi there,
I like the idea of making COTM its own Category title. That might expose it to more members, and might get some more participants. I also agree with the idea of more research before nominating someone. At least asking them if they want to be nominated.
Old 11-09-2016, 06:36 AM
Supreme Member

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
Car: 1987 IROC Original Owner
Engine: LB9
Transmission: M39 MM5
Axle/Gears: G80 G92 J65

Like Kurt above I would suggest the board add a Lobby or general discussions section & that would act like a front page for the board. The more community we can build, the more traffic the site will generate and that translates into dollars. The COTM thread would be a perfect sticky in a general forum area.
Old 11-09-2016, 09:12 AM
Supreme Member

Received 546 Likes on 376 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC-Z. Original owner
Engine: LB9. Dual Cats. Big Cam
Transmission: World Class T-5
Axle/Gears: BW 3.45

Originally Posted by KMK454
Successful car forums are just as focused on people as they are on cars. If you want COTM voting traffic, you need to get the people who own or like thirdgens together via a logically structured forum.

1. Rebrand from a thirdgen techboard to a thirdgen community board (of which tech is a sub-community within).

2. To go with this rebrand, there would be a new forum called "General Thirdgen Discussion." Most other car forums have similar forums, and they end up being the first landing spot for people as they open the forum.

3. Stickied at the top of General Thirdgen Discussion would be the current COTM nomination and then voting thread. There would be a sub forum that archived all nomination threads and all winners once their month was up.

Can anybody guess what IB would sell TGO for? Would they even let it go? I imagine profits from these places are marginal at best, and pooling multiple forums like they're doing is how they sustain their revenues/profits.
Great post, Kurt!
Old 11-09-2016, 09:18 AM
JT
Community Administrator

Received 255 Likes on 184 Posts

A separate Car of the Month forum is easy to add. Putting the nomination and voting information on the front page is also easy to do. We may see more cars and more participation, but will the quality of the CoTM drop? That has been my concern from the start. To me the CoTM was to showcase the best of the ThirdGens, in part to help against the bad reputation that ThirdGens have.

And please, let's keep this about CoTM. A forum overhaul is not really for this discussion. We're not candidates running for office and laying out our first days here. Speaking of which, I don't know about you but, I liked that this place didn't have that crap (and other topics that bring down the IQ) in this community where it's in other communities and overshadows the rest of the content and creates conflicts that does leak outside of that corner. This site was "rebranded" once before as a tech-only because the previous non-tech ruined some of the community. Since then, plenty of other sites had started up to include tech and non-tech for ThirdGens but can you say any of them are better off because of that?

I'm not saying no, never, on a general forum. It has been privately discussed within us from time to time. But what I'm saying is I don't connect a non-tech forum and COTM and can't see how were going to get a mass amount of new ThirdGen owners coming to ThirdGen, from searching online, because they found topics in the non-tech section for cellphones, drones, stereo systems, a topic about a 1960 Chrysler, etc., and didn't know we existed for their ThirdGen car.

Part of an issue that nearly all forums are seeing is what social media platforms, like Facebook, is doing to forums and websites. Aside from that, this site was started for, and dedicated to, a sole platform, for a specific year range, that hasn't been built for decades. The count of these cars will never grow but can only decrease.

It's pretty clear we are in a niche community. And while we may have nearly 200K members from over 15 years, understand that is not the same as active members. I think we have a decent amount of active members but it's not 200K! So the voting percentage figures are way off.
Old 11-09-2016, 11:10 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 82 MSE/89 TTA/89 Formula/99 TA

Mixed feelings on some of the comments. I never have seen COTM as a private buddies club. All cars that are nominated are quality, I see the keys to winning are what Linson brought up. Quality photos, the car itself in impeccable condition, and the presentation by the nominee.

Also as stated, FB and other social media sights do take away from forums. That IMO is probably the biggest reason for lack of participation.
Old 11-10-2016, 01:13 AM
COTM Editor (Retired)

Originally Posted by JT
A separate Car of the Month forum is easy to add. Putting the nomination and voting information on the front page is also easy to do. We may see more cars and more participation, but will the quality of the CoTM drop? That has been my concern from the start. To me the CoTM was to showcase the best of the ThirdGens, in part to help against the bad reputation that ThirdGens have.

And please, let's keep this about CoTM. A forum overhaul is not really for this discussion. We're not candidates running for office and laying out our first days here. Speaking of which, I don't know about you but, I liked that this place didn't have that crap (and other topics that bring down the IQ) in this community where it's in other communities and overshadows the rest of the content and creates conflicts that does leak outside of that corner. This site was "rebranded" once before as a tech-only because the previous non-tech ruined some of the community. Since then, plenty of other sites had started up to include tech and non-tech for ThirdGens but can you say any of them are better off because of that?

I'm not saying no, never, on a general forum. It has been privately discussed within us from time to time. But what I'm saying is I don't connect a non-tech forum and COTM and can't see how were going to get a mass amount of new ThirdGen owners coming to ThirdGen, from searching online, because they found topics in the non-tech section for cellphones, drones, stereo systems, a topic about a 1960 Chrysler, etc., and didn't know we existed for their ThirdGen car.

Part of an issue that nearly all forums are seeing is what social media platforms, like Facebook, is doing to forums and websites. Aside from that, this site was started for, and dedicated to, a sole platform, for a specific year range, that hasn't been built for decades. The count of these cars will never grow but can only decrease.

It's pretty clear we are in a niche community. And while we may have nearly 200K members from over 15 years, understand that is not the same as active members. I think we have a decent amount of active members but it's not 200K! So the voting percentage figures are way off.
No offense meant to anyone who runs or is a regular member at another Third Gen board...

But, to my perception, other Third Gen Boards are a lot like other countries (say Canada and Amsterdam). They're great countries 👍🏾. And a "general discussion lounge" is like legalized weed. Those other countries have it, but it's impossible to live there.
Old 11-10-2016, 07:19 AM
Supreme Member

Received 97 Likes on 62 Posts
Car: 88GTA
Engine: 5.7TPI
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: 3.27

Good suggestion Kurt.....I would like to see this also. If somehow, at the least, the COTM thread gets "bumped" daily or remains posted at the top of all the threads.
There have been times like Linson mentioned, that the COTM topic gets buried.....sometimes for DAYS, and you just happen to run across while viewing the threads.

As mentioned, yes, the participation is low and its the same cars. I try to go to members pages and select from that.

We have a unique select group of members here, most very knowledgeable that take pride in their cars.
Participation is key to this working.
Old 11-10-2016, 09:26 AM

Received 348 Likes on 275 Posts
Car: 1988 Iroc
Engine: L98 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Hawks 8.8 - 3.73

A social forum? Put it this way....when a thread is started about putting a TPI engine in a jeep, a red flag goes up because it's not "thirdgen" related. The mods discuss it, and normally decide that even though it's against the rules, the content and information in the thread is normally an asset to the community, so it's allowed to stay. The reputation and structure of TGO as a "tech" only forum is protected pretty seriously. ...but for every member we may lose because of that, we gain five who otherwise wouldn't bother sifting through the BS you'd find on other forums.

But all that being said, and to bring it full circle with regard to COTM...is this forum not social already? Look at everyone posting. Do we all not recognize each other? Are we not social? Of course we are, it's just all thirdgen related. With regard to COTM, I think it's awesome. I check it every month, and I appreciate the time put into it. I think many of us just have a LOT more going on that what's here on TGO. Getting an answer to my question may impact an entire Saturday of wrenching, where as checking COTM is only something I do when I'm playing around surfing the interwebs. I have PMs going back and forth asking and answering questions, responding to threads asking and answering questions, (all the while making friends ) ...and for that I'm grateful to TGO. I've had my Iroc almost 20 years, and most of that time I've been on TGO. I've made many friends. COTM is just not why I come here. Nothing personal, and I never miss it. It's great. -BUT...it's not why I come here.

Now to REALLY come full circle, with regard to COTM AND being more social....you know what would really interest ME!? ......I'd love to see a full write-up and or bio on the MEMBER, more so than the car. Kinda like a spread in a magazine. Take the last 2 posts in this thread. Bob88GTA mentions KMK454 and Linson mentions JT. I've talked with all four of you guys in various threads and PM's over the months and years. Yet beyond your cars, I really know nothing about you guys. While many members here have downright gorgeous cars, few of them really shock me. I love em, I want em, but....I've seen em before. I'd really be more interested in learning about the members.

Just as a super basic, shoot from the hip format:
Couple pics of the car
-Paragraph written by the member, name, what you do, blurb about your family and where you live, other hobbies...as much as you're comfortable sharing.
-How you got into hot rodding, and then YOUR car specifically
-A brief paragraph about the car and what you've done
-Plans for the future, etc. etc.

Heck, you could make a info sheet to fill out and then "someone" who can write fairly well could put it together. ...just ideas.
Old 11-10-2016, 09:48 AM

LOL...now you guys really got me thinking about this...(s'posed to be workin!)

The thing beyond the simple "tech" that really interests me about TGO and its members goes beyond the cars. Pocket (Jon) putting an LSA in his 'bird, or how he mocked up dual Eaton blowers with blocks of wood! How Scott Moyer got his Dad's 82 pace car. How this guy got his first car back after 20 years or how that guy hand built his own 4 link. While I'm all for keeping it tech, I DO completely approve of highlighting the countless stories we have within our community. Maybe PROJECT of the month...or STORY of the month....

...just brainstorming...

Last edited by Abubaca; 11-10-2016 at 10:01 AM.
Old 11-10-2016, 09:58 AM

OMG, not getting anything done at the office!

...GARAGE of the month....

...or what about the our members who serve in the Military? TGO Serviceman of the month? ...or even just a write up, not necessarily "winning" the category. Just a monthly write up.

...and whether or not it's military and any other category...when it's posted, and it's more than simply a pic of a car, there's a lot more potential for interaction. More than simply "nice car". It's more like "where did you serve" or my kid is in the Marines too! ....or maybe it's about the member's profession...or simply "hey our daughters are both the same age".

It's more learning....more interaction....more social

..more work too though....-I get that.
Old 11-10-2016, 10:06 AM
Supreme Member

Abubaca

I never really thought of what you mentioned above. I often think the same thing about members on WHO they are, WHAT they do, and HOW they got into 3rdgens. I have made many friends by PM's, phone calls, car or parts purchase's, and a few visits. Other than that, that's it. The members are just that...members.

I absolutely LOVE the idea of a bio of some sort. That in itself would be helpful on finding out just how much or how little a person knows about our passion of these vehicles.
Example: Just yesterday a new member couldn't unlock his car to get into it. No matter what he did he couldn't get the key all the way in the lock cylinder. Come to find out he just purchased the car a few days ago and was trying to insert the key UPSIDE DOWN. He eventually got in.

Great suggestion!
Old 11-10-2016, 10:10 AM
Supreme Member

And I ain't getting anything done either! The rocket will have to wait!
Old 11-10-2016, 02:43 PM
Supreme Member

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

I think having the thread stickied would help.

Also is it possible to put a sticky thread at the top of the other forums that point back to the main nomination/voting thread?

That way it's at the top of all the forums, and could bring in more people who don't normally go to the appearance forum.

I think there should be more categories for the nominations too.
Sometimes it does seem to be the same cars over and over. Maybe a few more niche ones just to get some more vehicles nominated. Best Car Audio installs, or best pic at a show for examples? just random thoughts there.

I also would love to know more about the cars and their owners too. How long have they had their car? What work have they done to it, mods, restorations anything they can do to tell us the history.
Old 11-10-2016, 04:40 PM
Supreme Member

Received 751 Likes on 577 Posts
Car: 1988 Trans Am
Engine: L03
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt 2.73 Open

Sticky to keep the thread at the top of the page? YES

A forum or sub-forum for COTM? YES

A social or off-topic forum? I've seen it go both ways. I've seen at least one forum where it's fairly well done, and does not stir too much controversy.

I've seen others almost get destroyed by out-of-bounds topics, the subsequent policing, and over reacting (tantrums) of the OPs.

Hang out at two forums that are a little more wide open, were little is out of bounds, and the trash that surfaces is distracting, annoying, a black eye to the forum (IMO), and generally does NOT add value to the forum.

Let me put it this way. There are some members here whom I truly respect. And it would be nice to hear from them about other items. But I have never come here and been disappointed that a general forum did not exist. But there are several forums where topics run amok, and I do regret that they have a general forum.
Old 11-10-2016, 06:31 PM
COTM Editor

I would advise it is unwise to post your personal info with your car. Turns the COTM past winners list into a pick-list of top notch cars and where to find them.
Old 11-10-2016, 06:39 PM
Supreme Member

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by QwkTrip
I would advise it is unwise to post your personal info with your car. Turns the COTM past winners list into a pick-list of top notch cars and where to find them.
I don't think we need their home address or where the car is located, but a history of how the car came to be. Why they bought it, or just some background of what make the car special to them is what I was thinking.
Old 11-10-2016, 08:46 PM
Supreme Member

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am WS6
Engine: 383 stroker
Transmission: Dynamic Racing Reverse Manual 700r4
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt 3.45

I never understood why this didn't have its own section, its a great addition to the site and it very loosely fits into the "auto detailing" section of the forum.
Old 11-10-2016, 08:53 PM
Supreme Member

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am WS6
Engine: 383 stroker
Transmission: Dynamic Racing Reverse Manual 700r4
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt 3.45

Originally Posted by DynoDave43
Sticky to keep the thread at the top of the page? YES

A forum or sub-forum for COTM? YES

A social or off-topic forum? I've seen it go both ways. I've seen at least one forum where it's fairly well done, and does not stir too much controversy.

I've seen others almost get destroyed by out-of-bounds topics, the subsequent policing, and over reacting (tantrums) of the OPs.

Hang out at two forums that are a little more wide open, were little is out of bounds, and the trash that surfaces is distracting, annoying, a black eye to the forum (IMO), and generally does NOT add value to the forum.

Let me put it this way. There are some members here whom I truly respect. And it would be nice to hear from them about other items. But I have never come here and been disappointed that a general forum did not exist. But there are several forums where topics run amok, and I do regret that they have a general forum.
a social/off topic section would be a great addition as long as it has decent guidelines. Doesn't need to be school classroom strict but it should enforce that each member respect one another.

I would love to talk about other aspects of our common interest in automotive with the members on here since a lot of people on here have given me a lot of great advice and tips and I trust their knowledge and experience. Somewhere to discuss things like tooling preferences, machining, metal working, and welding.
Old 11-10-2016, 08:57 PM

...black market paying top dollar for thirdgens up by you??? I can see Nicolas Cage breaking into my garage right now! ...but seriously, I don't think home address is necessary. Not what I meant at all by "where you live".
Old 11-10-2016, 10:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1989 GTA
Engine: LS coming soon
Transmission: 80E coming soon
Axle/Gears: S60/35 Spline/S-Trac/3.73

Abubaca,

I like the "project" of the month idea! I would say An overwhelming majority of the members here would fall under this catagory. Some daily drive them, some are slowly building them, some have been put aside temporarily due to life happening!

This would help get more ideas out as posting pictures of "in progress" builds could lead to others seeing concepts and ideas they may not have known of or thought about!
There was a time where I was putting $100 aside weekly for car parts, and now I'm scraping change to make mortgage payments. As silly as it sounds little things count and mean a lot! I've learned this my managing different people through out the years.

Maybe we could have sub catagories like rollers, dailydriven under construction, broke down awaiting funds etc.. this small nomination along with the community's support could be the extra push some people need to get back out in the garage turning wrenches to fix or finish them! Hell if we could get the sponsors involved to include some type of donation whether gift card, scratch and dent parts, %off orders etc this would be even more enticing!

Then come beginning of the year we can do a "Super Bowl" and "toilet bowl" winners from regular cotm and projects cotm from the previous year and have a sponsor showcase or donate some needed parts to help finish projects! (It would be a write off for them)
Anyways that's my $.02.
Old 11-10-2016, 11:13 PM
JT
Community Administrator

Received 255 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Abubaca
Maybe PROJECT of the month...or STORY of the month....
When I added the Members Firebirds and Members Camaros to this section some time ago, it was so that members had a place to post pictures of their ThirdGen and share information about it along with having a discussion with members. It's also a place that I suggested running build threads be posted instead of having them scattered across sections (Brakes, TPI, Body, etc.,) where it's less easier to follow the build as a whole.

But promoting project cars, such as a monthly showcase as a CoTM, was a concern to me because I thought we needed to promote the better ThirdGens to show public just how nice ThirdGens can be and to help against the reputation that you know has long been attached to these cars and brings it down. So that magazines, vendors, online media, can see there is in fact many nice ThirdGens out there and that there's a good following for them as a collector car.

You've been around here a long time. Your membership out dates mine. So you've probably seen/read a lot of projects that never was due to lack of time, money, true interest, etc., or projects that was severely underdone. Because these cars have been so plentiful and cheap for the young before they become an adult and drop the car for a 4-door, truck, etc., we've seen a lot this and I think it made the cars look bad as a low dollar, low valued, car. Many car communities have when the cars reach a certain age before the value kicks in.

I don't know. Maybe by now there are many more true project cars that deserve getting a little exposure.

I just hope we're not trying to create a quantity over quality issue.
Old 11-11-2016, 08:40 AM

JT, I agree with everything you said.

I actually posted my build thread on Facebook so I could get some exposure to many of my car buddies who aren't into Thirdgens (link in sig) but I completely understand the "member firebirds" and "Member Camaros" section, and what its intention is.

I also COMPLETELY understand the whole concern/idea with A)Promoting the nicer cars, and B) NOT highlighting the litany of underwhelming and never finished builds. I hadn't thought about this topic from THAT perspective.

I threw out a few spitball ideas in reference the original idea of getting more traffic. My reason for change, regardless of format is this: Speaking only for me, as someone who's been at this for 20 years now, it goes SO FAR beyond the picture of a car. For me it really is about the members, the stories, the solutions to mechanical issues, hand crafted one off parts, custom work, etc. etc.

...I understand it's not as simply as waving your hand and boom, everything is perfect. THere's a lot of work, and there's other issues as well, as JT brings up. ...I'm just throwing out ideas to increase traffic.
Old 11-11-2016, 11:35 AM
Supreme Member

Received 629 Likes on 530 Posts

Originally Posted by Abubaca
Maybe PROJECT of the month...
Something I've advocated for a long time.
But as JT points out, you don't want to devalue the image that COTM has lent to the 3rd gen platform. By the way, I'd buy a COTM calendar if someone ever gets it together.
That said, the reason I read any car enthusiast magazine, or why I watch Roadkill (the latter being a little extreme) is for the projects.
It's all well and good to see the parade of picture perfect Camaros and Firebirds but to me it's gets a little old. Would it hurt to see a monthly exhibit of who's doing what? Judging it, I think, would prove equally interesting. Look at Detroit Speed's project car. In it's various pieces that would qualify as COTM in my opinion. I thoroughly enjoy that kind of thread.
Whatever the decisions are down the road, I'd like to thank our COTM editor for all of his efforts. And also a tip of the hat to the moderators who keep the forum alive and , it seems, still thriving.

Last edited by skinny z; 11-11-2016 at 11:39 AM.
Old 11-11-2016, 12:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1992 Polo Green RS Z03
Engine: L03 - 5.0 Liter V8 TBI
Transmission: MD8 – 4 SPD Auto
Axle/Gears: GU2 - 2:73 Ratio

It would also be nice if the home page would get updated to the new COTM . . . not trying to be a smarty pants . . but it is November 11 . .
Old 11-12-2016, 01:11 AM
Supreme Member

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro B4C
Engine: 305
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.42

JT,

Thanks for entertaining our comments and thanks for taking the time to moderate this forum. Also, we appreciate you allowing COTM. I know many members have enjoyed it.

Our comments on this thread aren't criticism; we love thirdgens and thirdgen.org. You and the moderator team are doing a great job, and we appreciate the time you put in to keeping this forum alive.

I think everyone's objectives are very similar regarding the sustainment/success of this site and improving the perception of thirdgens. We're just having a discussion and exploring ways to get after that. Maybe the current solution is the best solution; maybe it's not. We won't know unless we talk about what's possible.

Originally Posted by JT
I agree with you. My suggestion was a "General Thirdgen Discussion" forum. It was not a "General Discussion" page. We don't need a forum for politics, sports, etc.

Here's an example from the Camaro 6 forum. It's basically a catch-all for Camaro 6 content:
http://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=155

You'll note that a lot of what gets posted in that forum is similar to what people post in Auto Detailing and Appearance, History/Originality, Members Rides, and others. On thirdgen.org, these threads might technically violate forum rules, but are allowed to stay. A general thirdgen subforum might clean up subforums that have been co-opted by off-topic posting.

There's also content they post that you just don't see here, partly because there doesn't seem to be a logical spot for users to put it.

As for a general discussion (anything goes, non-car related), I agree - keep it off of here. No need for it, and it has the potential to get toxic.

Originally Posted by JT

Social media can kill a forum, but the forum has to do some things to allow its demise.

On my User CP, I can input my ICQ and AIM accounts. Those services still exist, but does anybody use them anymore? How about putting in a link to Facebook, Instagram, or Snapchat accounts? How about displaying that information beneath a user name when they post?

Also, does thirdgen.org have a facebook or instagram page?

Just stuff to think about, and consider that it's a double-edged sword. You may leverage other internet platforms, but that also means your users have a pathway off of thirdgen.org. But if you do it right, you have a presence on those other platforms that pulls them back to thirdgen.org. For example, posting the COTM winner on facebook, with a comment stating more details available at the following link: (insert thirdgen.org link here).

Personally, I've been posting more original Camaro content to Instagram than to thirdgen.org. It's easy and I get feedback, engagement, and conversation exceeding that which I get here. Making users feel their inputs are valued helps - how about a "like" or "thanks" button for posts? GM Inside News forum does this, and it's a way to give feedback even though you have nothing to write in reply.

Originally Posted by JT
It's not so much about growing membership as it is growing engagement. There's a lot of content (technical, media, thirdgen lifestyle) out there amongst us; how do we get those who have been dormant to share it? And how do we get thirdgen.org to punch through the noise?

The user base may still expand. You probably have accounts that have been dormant for years with no chance of returning. But there are still first-time thirdgen owners coming in the future, and there are current owners that use other platforms but have never joined this site.

We are a niche community, but we have overlap. Mid to late gen-xers and early millennials are reaching the point where they can get a play car. These are the people who grew up in the era relevant to thirdgens. They're also tech savvy and present on many forms of social media. Cars from the late 70s to mid 90s are getting noticed, as is the pop culture. We keep speculating if and when thirdgen interest and markets will rise. If this ever happens, it'd be great if this forum was postured to ride the wave as opposed to drowning.

Again, none of the above is criticism. These are just my thoughts to consider. It's not my site or business, and if the site stays the same, I'll still visit thirdgen.org and enjoy it. And perhaps the current method is the best solution - I don't have access to the data you and IB do, so my observations are from an outsider perspective.

Thanks again for engaging with us on thirdgen.org!
Old 11-12-2016, 02:19 AM
COTM Editor (Retired)

Originally Posted by JT
When I added the Members Firebirds and Members Camaros to this section some time ago, it was so that members had a place to post pictures of their ThirdGen and share information about it along with having a discussion with members. It's also a place that I suggested running build threads be posted instead of having them scattered across sections (Brakes, TPI, Body, etc.,) where it's less easier to follow the build as a whole.

But promoting project cars, such as a monthly showcase as a CoTM, was a concern to me because I thought we needed to promote the better ThirdGens to show public just how nice ThirdGens can be and to help against the reputation that you know has long been attached to these cars and brings it down. So that magazines, vendors, online media, can see there is in fact many nice ThirdGens out there and that there's a good following for them as a collector car.

You've been around here a long time. Your membership out dates mine. So you've probably seen/read a lot of projects that never was due to lack of time, money, true interest, etc., or projects that was severely underdone. Because these cars have been so plentiful and cheap for the young before they become an adult and drop the car for a 4-door, truck, etc., we've seen a lot this and I think it made the cars look bad as a low dollar, low valued, car. Many car communities have when the cars reach a certain age before the value kicks in.

I don't know. Maybe by now there are many more true project cars that deserve getting a little exposure.

I just hope we're not trying to create a quantity over quality issue.
I'm with JT on this one.

Just to be clear, I am interested in expanding member participation in COTM, not creating more polls and contests, that would ultimately, more than likely suffer from lower levels of participation than COTM.
I am also devoted to the cause of Third Gens and Third Gen owners being better received by the general automotive culture. Showcasing "works in progress" is a step in the wrong direction IMO, and like JT said, projects can be showcased in other sub-forums like Members' Camaros / Firebirds.
Old 11-12-2016, 02:50 AM
COTM Editor (Retired)

Furthermore, I agree with everything KMK454 is saying - dude is thinking big.

Further-furthermore, Abucca, I really do dig what your talking about - with showcasing the actual members in equal manner as their cars. But most of that information would have to be provided in some way by the member(s) and for a lot of people, that could be asking a lot. I can certainly copy/paste whatever biography the nominees submit, but I can't justify insisting that they provide more, or give me enough information to write a full article, if we're only reaching a small niche audience.

Other than that, I love the idea.

Last edited by Linson; 11-12-2016 at 02:55 AM.
Old 11-12-2016, 03:13 AM
COTM Editor (Retired)

Also want to address the COTM "regulars." Yes, there has been some redundancy in the nominations. But if you look at the list of COTM winners, you'll see that these guys have done a great job of selecting top notch Third Gens of every sort. It's only because of those "regulars" that there is a COTM. So while I want to reach more members, and for more members to be represented with their nominations and their votes, we definitely want to keep, and show appreciation to those regulars who have made COTM what it is.
Old 11-12-2016, 06:52 PM
Supreme Member

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
Car: 82 TA 87 IZ L98 88 IZ LB9 88 IZ L98
Engine: 5.7TBI 5,7TPI 5.0TPI, 5,7TPI
Transmission: T5, 700R4, T5, 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.08, 3.27, 3.45, 3.27

Hey I never nominated myself, I did nominate what I built. Still didn't help though.... not part of the popular crowd, picked last on the team..no chance at even competing let alone winning.
Old 11-13-2016, 02:50 PM
Supreme Member

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28 Vert
Engine: 383 single plane efi
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 8.8 with 3.73s

Originally Posted by JT
Can we please revert back to that logic? O Please?! It makes such sense. All the build threads should be in the members section. There are build threads popping up all over the boards and it's ridiculous. (I don't have an LS engine so in the last 12 of 13 years I never went in that section to know about the good build threads that are there) You, myself and every other senior member know this but it's no longer enforced, none of these build threads are "moved" to the members section.

Can we also please start shutting down the useless threads in the auto detailing board? "Post your blue/black/white Camaro/Firebird," "Went out driving today and took pictures" and the worst of all "Parking lot Paparazzi."
Old 11-13-2016, 02:54 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by JT

Is it at all possible to bring back the April Fools day edition of Thirdgen.org? That was before the IB rebranding and it was an absolutely hysterical day to be on these boards! Surely you remember how funny that day always was?
Old 11-13-2016, 03:04 PM
Supreme Member

JT,

How about putting in a link to Facebook, Instagram, or Snapchat accounts? How about displaying that information beneath a user name when they post?

Also, does thirdgen.org have a facebook or instagram page?
Now that is an idea! I gave up Facebook and whatever else a while ago in favor of Snapchat. If thirdgen.org had a snapchat story that you could upload to, that would be awesome. I could care less about a CNN or Vogue or MTV snapchat story but a thirdgen story, sweet.
Old 11-13-2016, 05:06 PM
COTM Editor (Retired)

Originally Posted by Tibo

Can we also please start shutting down the useless threads in the auto detailing board? "Post your blue/black/white Camaro/Firebird," "Went out driving today and took pictures" and the worst of all "Parking lot Paparazzi."
Which, to be fair, exist there for lack of a dedicated "off topic" forum.
Old 11-13-2016, 05:22 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Linson
Which, to be fair, exist there for lack of a dedicated "off topic" forum.
If the creation of a new message board brings the auto detailing and appearance board back to their prior glory I'm in favor of it! I second the nomination.
Old 11-13-2016, 05:25 PM
COTM Editor (Retired)

If the creation of a new message board brings the auto detailing and appearance board back to their prior glory I'm in favor of it! I second the nomination.
Not a "new message board." A new "forum" on an existing message board.
Old 11-13-2016, 10:28 PM
COTM Editor

I don't have an LS engine so in the last 12 of 13 years I never went in that section to know about the good build threads that are there

The majority of the hot rodding crowd is hanging out in the LSx forum these days. Even people that don't have an LSx engine watch that forum. That's where the big builds are occurring.
Old 11-14-2016, 12:07 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by QwkTrip
The majority of the hot rodding crowd is hanging out in the LSx forum these days. Even people that don't have an LSx engine watch that forum. That's where the big builds are occurring.
The point I made, which you just helped to make, is that build threads should be in the members section and not scattered all over so that one needs to view every forum and sub forum to see the build threads. You don't find some soup in the meat section because it had meat, another soup in the vegetables section cause they have vegetables and some soup in the pasta aisle because it has pasta do you? Nope it's all in the soup section because ITS SOUP!

Last edited by Tibo; 11-14-2016 at 12:23 AM.
Old 11-14-2016, 07:06 AM
COTM Editor

The LS Swap forum is full of LS swaps. That is quite logical. It just so happens that a lot of LS swaps are accompanied by big builds. If you want to see it then get off your duff and walk down to the LS Swap forum. It is what all the cool kids do these days.