Auto Detailing and Appearance Share tips and tricks on how to make your Third Gen shine! Get opinions on products or how something tasteful looks on your Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird.

January 2017 COTM **Nomination Thread**

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 07:09 PM
COTM Editor (Retired)

Received 82 Likes on 42 Posts
Car: 89 Formula 350, TTA
January 2017 COTM **Nomination Thread**

This thread is for January 2017 COTM **Nominations** PLEASE READ AND UNDERSTAND THE COTM NOMINATION RULES BEFORE PROCEEDING TO NOMINATE A MEMBER’S RIDE FOR COTM.
REMEMBER, WE MUST PROTECT THE INTEGRITY OF THE CONTEST SO THAT THE MOST DESERVING MEMBER WINS.

This thread is a Nomination Thread to nominate cars that will compete for this month's Car of the Month honor. The 12 (or less) most popularly nominated cars will be compiled into a *Voting Thread* in a couple of weeks. If you do not nominate a member's car for COTM, you can still second or third (fourth, fifth, so on) someone else's nomination. Cars must have at least a second nomination in order to make the Voting Thread.

• Do not nominate your own car. Your car must be nominated by another TGO Member.
  • Do not ask your wife, husband, friends, extended family, etc. to register as TGO Members for the purpose of nominating your car.
  • Do not nominate more than one car.
  • Do not use multiple member accounts to nominate your own car or to nominate multiple cars.
  • This is not a picture thread. Post only one (1) good photo of the car you wish to nominate. Do not use a photo-edited picture.
  • You must post a picture with your nomination. This must be a full-sized picture (or at the very least, a pic or thumb that enlarges into a full-sized picture when you click on it).
  • Correctly identify the user name of the member who you nominate.
  • Correctly identify the year and model/trim of the car you nominate.
  • Do not nominate cars that are not in a high quality, finished state.
  • And if you are nominated, please DO go out and take an abundance of good quality photos of your ride (multiple angles, interior, engine) and make them publicly accessible (for example via a photo album in your public profile or some sort of hyperlink to your photo album.)
**Editor's Note**
There is little in the way of a "Grand New Scheme" as far as the execution of this year's contests. This year I would like to, for the most part, give the members who participate the freedom to choose nominees unencumbered by monthly qualifications of make, trim, and build-type. i have always said that TGO Members do an excellent job of choosing a variety of different types of cars. The one caveat however is this: We need to try to get some new blood into the nomination process. If your buddy (or a member who has a car that you really appreciate) has been nominated two or three times in 2016...and 2015, lets maybe give it a rest for a while. It gets old, even for the guy who has to copy and paste a campaign in the Voting Thread every other month.

And it gets harder: The same high standards are still in place. The COTM Bait Thread is still open in the sticky section. Refer to it. Add to it.

*****This Month's Criteria*****

OPEN SEASON

Any very high quality, finished, stock or modified 1982-92 Camaro of Firebird.

w_mcvicker January 2016 COTM WINNER 1989 TTA

BADNBLK 2016 Car of the Year 1991 Z28

Last edited by Linson; 12-22-2016 at 02:06 PM.
Old 12-06-2016, 07:55 PM

Received 47 Likes on 23 Posts
Car: 1991 Trans Am GTA
Re: January 2017 COTM **Nomination Thread**

I'd like to nominate blacksunshine'91's 1991 Trans Am.

Old 12-09-2016, 01:52 AM
COTM Editor

Received 1,855 Likes on 1,270 Posts
Car: '89 Firebird
Engine: 7.0L
Transmission: T56

hawksthirdgen "Silver Streak" Camaro. This car recently shut down a lot of high dollar cars at a magazine sponsored race event (Super Chevy ?)

Name:  20160528_112729_zpsnxbvbg5z.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  334.8 KB
Old 12-09-2016, 01:58 AM
COTM Editor (Retired)

Is "hawksthirdgen" a TGO Member?

If yes, what is the model year and trim level of the car?
Old 12-09-2016, 04:54 AM

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts
Car: 1990 Trans Am
Engine: 5.7 350 HSR afr195 xfi268
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.08 posi

Nominating qwktrip 89 firebird ....stunning ls car and really hadn't known until recently even though been a long time member
Old 12-09-2016, 08:36 AM
Supreme Member

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28 Vert
Engine: 383 single plane efi
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 8.8 with 3.73s

Originally Posted by Linson

Wait a minute, how fair is it to be nominating cars that were professionally built by aftermarket companies? Aftermarket companies who usually have much deeper pockets then the large majority of members and that may even have part sponsors who give them parts for free or that get parts at cost?
Old 12-09-2016, 08:42 AM
COTM Editor

Yes, that is the real username.

I don't know details... it's like an internet secret! All I know is it has an LS7 and independent rear suspension, good looking car, and is new blood in this COTM thing.

Originally Posted by maks10
Nominating qwktrip 89 firebird ....stunning ls car and really hadn't known until recently even though been a long time member
Thanks for the recognition.
Old 12-09-2016, 08:56 AM
COTM Editor

Originally Posted by Tibo
Wait a minute, how fair is it to be nominating cars that were professionally built by aftermarket companies?
Bruce is a real person too. Simple solution is ask if it is a personal car or company car.

I've seen $50K cars here that were bought without owner turning a single wrench. Those are professionally built cars, too.
Old 12-09-2016, 12:33 PM
COTM Editor (Retired)

Originally Posted by QwkTrip
Bruce is a real person too. Simple solution is ask if it is a personal car or company car.

I've seen $50K cars here that were bought without owner turning a single wrench. Those are professionally built cars, too.
Indeed. Who did what to the car for how much is not the issue. I just needed to know that the car belongs to a TGO member to be eligible for COTM.

I appreciate you making it a point to nominate a ride that hasn't been nominated before. I just hope that, if seconded, Bruce participated in the process.
Old 12-09-2016, 12:51 PM
Supreme Member

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro B4C
Engine: 305
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.42

I'd like to nominate Puma1552's 1990 Maui Blue RS:

Old 12-09-2016, 01:53 PM
Supreme Member

Indeed. Who did what to the car for how much is not the issue.

When you open up the field to include company cars or cars that were completely built by companies (or some version of that scenario) you are effectively lessening the chances for a normal person (with normal amounts of money and a normal amount of time and resources) to win and this site is by and large comprised of normal people. I know members with nice cars that don't want to be nominated or that dont't like to be nominated because of the voting shenanigans (Harry's car is in it so lets all vote for him because he's our firend) and allowing cars like these is just going to be another reason not to want to be nominated. It's the same reasoning that brought about car craft magazine and made it a popular publication.
Old 12-09-2016, 02:22 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1991 z28
Engine: Turbo 310
Axle/Gears: D44

Tibo, don't take this the wrong way but spending 20k to 60k on a car project is pretty "normal" over a few years, this isn't a cheap hobby especally as these car's get older. It's also the kind of money that has to be spent and spent often on a certain car model to really get serious aftermarket support. I know some guys with shop built cars and it's just not that expensive either...

I'll second qwktrip's nomination
Old 12-09-2016, 02:42 PM
COTM Editor (Retired)

When you open up the field to include company cars or cars that were completely built by companies (or some version of that scenario) you are effectively lessening the chances for a normal person (with normal amounts of money and a normal amount of time and resources) to win and this site is by and large comprised of normal people. I know members with nice cars that don't want to be nominated or that dont't like to be nominated because of the voting shenanigans (Harry's car is in it so lets all vote for him because he's our firend) and allowing cars like these is just going to be another reason not to want to be nominated. It's the same reasoning that brought about car craft magazine and made it a popular publication.

A) By and large, this site IS comprised of normal people. How many COTM *nominees* have been "company cars?" How many COTM *winners* have been "company cars?" probably not many. in fact, how many companies are sponsoring Third Gen builds? one? so there is probably enough glory to go around.

B) here are two things not to lose sight of:
#1. being able to show appreciation, to give props, and recognition to fellow Third-Genners for their passion, hard work, painstaking attention to detail, and financial investment is a nice bonus to having a COTM program - and it is something that gives me pleasure. however, it is secondary to the primary purpose of COTM which is to further the advancement of positive perception of '82-'92 Camaros and Firebirds among the general public and the greater automotive, hotrodding community. your point about proportional sweat and sacrifice is taken, but badass Third Gens need to be represented, regardless of who built them and at what cost.

just look at the list of COTM winners over the years, and you'll see that what you're concerned about is not really an issue.

#2. this is a small contest. we average about 5 nominees per month (with a lot of "frequent flyers" in the nominee pool), and we average about 70 or 80 members who actually vote each month. we can hardly afford to further restrict nominations along the lines that you're suggesting. and again, just looking at the list of COTM winners over the years, this is really a non-issue.

C) i get your concern about the "shenanigans" in the voting process, but there are some things that just can't be policed (personal bias) in an open election process. however, the best way to defend against the kind of cronyism you're talking about is to expand the rate of participation, both in nominating and in voting.

*edit*
D) i used to love Car Craft. it is the only publication that i've ever bought a subscription to. and i liked it over "Hot Rod Magazine" precisely because the builds, articles, and features seemed more attainable, doable, within my means, and within the bounds of reason.

Last edited by Linson; 12-09-2016 at 02:59 PM.
Old 12-09-2016, 02:49 PM
Supreme Member

Received 720 Likes on 490 Posts
Car: 89 Firebird
Engine: 355 TBI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt.Posi-3.73s

Originally Posted by KMK454
I'd like to nominate Puma1552's 1990 Maui Blue RS:

I will second Puma1552
Old 12-09-2016, 02:53 PM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

hawksthirdgen "Silver Streak" Camaro. This car recently shut down a lot of high dollar cars at a magazine sponsored race event (Super Chevy ?)

I second hawksthirdgen
Old 12-09-2016, 04:00 PM
Supreme Member

A) By and large, this site IS comprised of normal people. How many COTM *nominees* have been "company cars?" How many COTM *winners* have been "company cars?" probably not many. in fact, how many companies are sponsoring Third Gen builds? one? so there is probably enough glory to go around.

B) here are two things not to lose sight of:
#1. being able to show appreciation, to give props, and recognition to fellow Third-Genners for their passion, hard work, painstaking attention to detail, and financial investment is a nice bonus to having a COTM program - and it is something that gives me pleasure. however, it is secondary to the primary purpose of COTM which is to further the advancement of positive perception of '82-'92 Camaros and Firebirds among the general public and the greater automotive, hotrodding community. your point about proportional sweat and sacrifice is taken, but badass Third Gens need to be represented, regardless of who built them and at what cost.

just look at the list of COTM winners over the years, and you'll see that what you're concerned about is not really an issue.

#2. this is a small contest. we average about 5 nominees per month (with a lot of "frequent flyers" in the nominee pool), and we average about 70 or 80 members who actually vote each month. we can hardly afford to further restrict nominations along the lines that you're suggesting. and again, just looking at the list of COTM winners over the years, this is really a non-issue.

C) i get your concern about the "shenanigans" in the voting process, but there are some things that just can't be policed (personal bias) in an open election process. however, the best way to defend against the kind of cronyism you're talking about is to expand the rate of participation, both in nominating and in voting.

*edit*
D) i used to love Car Craft. it is the only publication that i've ever bought a subscription to. and i liked it over "Hot Rod Magazine" precisely because the builds, articles, and features seemed more attainable, doable, within my means, and within the bounds of reason.
Hawksthirdgen appears to have been nominated enough to be considered a candidate. If that car wins it will demonstrate the validity of my argument and if he loses it will show that my argument has no merit. However, if you really do believe that the purpose of these contests is to advance the positive perception of Thirdgens then my entire viewpoint is a moot point to you so even if he looses it doesn't matter.
Old 12-09-2016, 05:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1985 Sport Coupe
Engine: 3800 Series II Turbo
Transmission: 4th-gen WC T5
Axle/Gears: 3.27 BW Limited

Originally Posted by maks10
I will second QwkTrip. I have been following his progress for over a decade. That car has come a long way, literally and figuratively.
Old 12-09-2016, 05:47 PM
COTM Editor (Retired)

Hawksthirdgen appears to have been nominated enough to be considered a candidate. If that car wins it will demonstrate the validity of my argument and if he loses it will show that my argument has no merit. However, if you really do believe that the purpose of these contests is to advance the positive perception of Thirdgens then my entire viewpoint is a moot point to you so even if he looses it doesn't matter.
unfortunately, it IS a bit of a moot point. a moot point, though it may be, i never said it was an invalid one.
TGO COTM is just too small of an operation to put those kinds of restrictions on nominees and exclude elite examples of Third Gens.

i hope you can understand that, personally, i'm not looking to invalidate your viewpoint. However, if you just take a look at last year's list of TGO COTM winners, https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/auto...-car-year.html you can see that "sponsored cars" are generally nowhere to be seen, so on the rare occasion that one is nominated, i think there is room for that here.

Last edited by Linson; 12-09-2016 at 05:52 PM.
Old 12-11-2016, 09:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 92 RS
Engine: LT1
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.73

I nominate 95Cam86Roc and his 86 Iroc LS3

Old 12-12-2016, 02:48 PM
Premium Sponsor

Received 43 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks for the nomination QwkTrip & Prossi!
Old 12-12-2016, 04:33 PM
COTM Editor (Retired)

^^ it's an '88 base model Camaro with '91-92 ground effects. ^^
Old 12-12-2016, 10:41 PM
Supreme Member

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro B4C
Engine: 305
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.42

I think it's great to have high-end builds from shops get attention in COTM. Car's like the Hawk's build can bring tons of attention to thirdgens. Also, it's good to have aftermarket support for cars that are over 25 years old and are decreasing in numbers.
Old 12-13-2016, 09:46 PM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Car: 92 & 91 Z28 1LEs, 87 IROC-Z, 90 ZR1
Engine: L98, LT5
Transmission: 700R4, 6-speed
Axle/Gears: 3.45, 3.42, 3.73, 3.27

Originally Posted by KMK454
I think it's great to have high-end builds from shops get attention in COTM. Car's like the Hawk's build can bring tons of attention to thirdgens. Also, it's good to have aftermarket support for cars that are over 25 years old and are decreasing in numbers.
Old 12-22-2016, 02:13 PM
COTM Editor (Retired)

I second 95Cam86Roc.