Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Maaco paint job

Old 02-29-2008, 10:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Maaco paint job

Originally Posted by jay_d
use single stage and itll be faded in a years time
they dont use a sealer for the single stage single stage can look as good and last as long as basecoat/clearcoat just keep the wax on if you wet sand the final non metallic looks good
Old 03-01-2008, 09:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 87 Evoluzione, 84 TransAm, 05 GTO
Engine: LT1, L98, LS2
Transmission: (2) T56 & (1) 700R4
Axle/Gears: Moser 12-bolt w/3.73 & Stock

Originally Posted by Azrael91966669
the major issue is most shops want 2500-3500 for a paint job when macco charges far less if your driving a third gen normaly its because there in your price range and if i had 3500 to spend on just a paint job id just go buy another car
That is the reality of it for me as well. The $3500 job I was offered wasn't worth $2600 for that extra 5 feet of flawlessness.
Old 03-01-2008, 09:01 PM

Car: 84 z28
Engine: 355
Transmission: TH350
Axle/Gears: one wheel peel

Originally Posted by skitztikwon
they dont use a sealer for the single stage single stage can look as good and last as long as basecoat/clearcoat just keep the wax on if you wet sand the final non metallic looks good
single stage is cheap and SHIIIITTTTYYY thats why auto makers dont use it anymore.....its obsolete, ok for a pulp wood truck.....looks like *** on any car,
clear coat is tougher and shines better...i hate to be an *******, but i went to school for a year and a half on spraying and refinishing, i know whats what....its like the difference between laquer and enamel
Old 03-01-2008, 10:53 PM

Car: 83 Camaro
Engine: 350
Transmission: th350

Originally Posted by irockid86
i worked for DHL and all of their delivery vans were painted by maaco. they had about 40 vans and ya the paint scrached easy and was not easy to repair but it looked pretty good from about 15 feet away. its not like the paint peals off after a year or two
Well I have had two cars painted at maaco. Both had paint peeling behind the wells within 6 months. When my camaro got a scratch, it didn't rust, but all the paint within a 5 inch radius peeled off. Just some food for thought. Whatever you decide, best of luck to you. If you are on a strict budget though I would highly recommend trying the rustoleom roll on method. I hadn't heard of it 5 yrs ago or so when I got my camaro painted but it seems like a much better solution. I have seen it used before and if you take your time it produces a quite acceptable finish. oh, and both maaco jobs had orange peel.
Old 03-02-2008, 08:24 PM

Car: 92 25th Anniversary RS
Engine: 305ci 5.0L V8

i totally agree with azrael, most of our cars arent worth an overly expensive paint job, and chances are most of us wont be able to afford an amazing job. im only 17 years old, and this is my first car. its a daily driver, so im not looking for anything amazing. i just wanna make my car black for a low price. im not going to expect the best, but i will still probably end up giving my car a maaco job.
Old 03-02-2008, 11:15 PM
Supreme Member

Car: Too many cars

Ask them if they have photos of previous cars? Check your local Better Bussiness Bearu to see if they have any complaints on their work. Then again you can't be dissapointed if doesnt come out how you think it would.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:24 AM

well if you wanna help the sterotype with a crappy lookin third gen maaco is your best bet, but for the money you cant beat it.....if you get a 500 dollar paint job you get what you pay for.....heck they might even throw in overspray in odd places for free......if its a smokin old pos maaco may be your best bet, but it usually looks worse than before it went in........matter of fact when i went to school and messed somthing up my teacher would poke fun and say "you gonna work at maaco or somthing?"
Old 03-25-2008, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by gangstar55
I want to get my car painted at MAACO getting the either presidential or supreme paint job. I am gonna just paint it black (because the last time camaro was painted was '92) and I'll sither have them paint red stripes down the car or I'll just do them myself. I was wondering if anyone has a rough estimate on how much it would run me with or without the stripes.
i know this was posted few months ago but i wanted to set the record straight. we at maaco have different types of paint. we do have the cheap stuff which is the single stage. and we also have base clear. we use dupont paints. which is a good brand. our paint jobs look wet for more than a week. and as far as the prep goes it depends on what u pay 4! we sand the cars according to what it calls for. we dont just use the scotch brite. and we use primer on the spots that need it. and every car is seal coated before the paint is applied. i am the masker. i use foam tape or back tape the jambs unless the jambs are being done. there is very little overspray which is cleaned before the car leaves the shop. we do quality work at the maaco in burton. look us up online there is a few cars that we have done. there will be more posted very soon. there is also a warrenty on our paint jobs. the time length of the warrenty depends on what u get. like i said we do quality work. and maaco has been around for more than a decade so this aint new to them. we have the up to date paint system which allows us to match the paint on your car. so before anyone goes talkin crap maybe u should do a little more research first.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:10 AM

Car: 1992 Camaro RS - 1971 Chevelle
Engine: 3.1L - 5.7L
Transmission: T-5 - TH350

Ok, i didn't read every post on here.. but i just delt with maaco.. and i can honestly say.. i will never take another car back there for the rest of my life.. i don't care if it's a complete pos.. i droped $2200 for them to replace the front end and hood (which i had already bought) they had my car from january 11th until march 22... the car had no paint and honestly looked bad.. but besides the wrecked front bumper there was only a slight dent on the upper driverside fender.. i went over every inch of that car and i can honestly say.. i knew that car like i know my way home.. then all the sudden after i leave and the estimater already looked too and they say that they found 3 more dents on the rear quarter panel.. so whatever we pay and have that fixed too.. then after 3 trips there with them calling and saying "it's done" and every time they'd miss the biggest things..for example the final time i found somthing big it was that they didn't align the door right and it rubbed aginest the fender and that it was soo obvious.. why didn't they just fix it right the first time?.. and when they fixed my front end they cracked the bumper cover.. and they didn't even fasen the headlights to the headlight bar and they were just hanging out and they expected me to drive off the lot like taht.. i pointed it out and they said sorry and brought it back in again.. a week later i get a call saying it's done.. so i go to pick it up and i just finally said enough is enough.. there was a huge dent in the rear right quarter.. they scratched out the headlight pocket putting the headlights in place.. and they some how managed to crack my dash pad.. they gave me a card to refer a friend.. i litterally walked out and ripped it up.. i would never let a friend take a car there.. whoever made the statement about the comparisin to monkey's nailed it.. a monkey with a paint gun could of done a better job.. there was sooo mcuh overspray.. oh and i forgot to mention.. the first time they said they finished it they parked it up front and some idiot ran into the side.. they were going to make us pay but that was quickly changed..
Old 03-26-2008, 08:39 AM

Car: 1986 Firebird / 1985 Trans-Am
Engine: 305 4BBL / 383 4BBL++
Transmission: 700R4 / 700R4
Axle/Gears: ?.?? / 3.47

I agree with most now, I am not a big fan a Macco. When I was a teenage, I did not understand, and figured why not Macco, it is so cost effective how could I go wrong?

A couple decades later and after seeing dozens of cars come out of my local Macco’s, I truly see why people do not like them.
From runs and rust to fades and peeling, the paint job just does not seem to last for the most part.

Sure, you can get a good job at a Macco for a budget price, but I believe it is more like winning the lottery. Most of the time you get what you pay for.
If you go with the cheapest price in town, you will most likely get the worst paintjob in town.
I personally would rather go find a local painter, and there are usually a few guys that do paint jobs on the side and get one of them to do it. If you talk to paint supply stores, many of them may be able to recommend someone.

Of course, these are just my thoughts, so no matter what you decide, can you post before and after pictures of your car when you are done.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:00 PM

Car: 87 Evoluzione, 84 TransAm, 05 GTO
Engine: LT1, L98, LS2
Transmission: (2) T56 & (1) 700R4
Axle/Gears: Moser 12-bolt w/3.73 & Stock

Before and after pictures from Burton, MI Maaco. I guess I should buy a lottery ticket 'cause they did a nice job. Mind you, I took the car on a tour of several local body shops including another Maaco before deciding to leave it with them.

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/body...-am-front.html

Old 03-26-2008, 12:10 PM

id probably let maaco do my car.......if i didnt know how, its cheap and thats about all you can say.....itll look ok for a lil while
Old 03-26-2008, 12:37 PM

Car: 1992 Camaro RS - 1971 Chevelle
Engine: 3.1L - 5.7L
Transmission: T-5 - TH350

see, ACCLR8N and i had the same thing almost going in.. both looked like crap.. not hard to turn it around and put the paint and nice body panels on and it obviously would look 20 times better right there.. but then to get it done right (no flakes, magical dents that appear even after you went over ever inch of the car and it wasn't there, major overspray, and that they don't know how to put the pieces back where they came from on right) taht's another story.. they also ruined my screws in the panel where the spare tire is.. and cracked my dash pad... i accidently forgot to clean out my ash trey (had close to $10 in quarters in it) and forgot to take out the 2 screwdrivers out from under my seat.. and to my suprise i had nothing but pennys in my ash try.. and my screw drivers where gone.. they denied everything.. hwo the heck am i to prove i'm very observative person in the world and counted every coin i put in there.. and i never took any recent pics of my dash pad to prove it wasn't like that before.. even tho the glass is scrated where it looks like they placed somthing on it..
Old 03-26-2008, 01:03 PM

im not defendin them by any means, i've seen the work from my local maaco, heck ive cleaned up the work from em before as well
Old 03-26-2008, 01:16 PM

Car: 1988 Iroc
Engine: 383 TPI
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: BW 9 bolt 3.27

Check today`s post "cars back from paint".
Old 03-27-2008, 12:07 AM

Car: 89 firebird

well i had my car painted there(tacoma, wa) in december. had to go back for them to fix stuff. the interrior was covered with overspray and they did a crappy job cleaning it up. oh, and we paid for them to adjust the hood which they did a very bad job at also... but the paint,,, it wasn't perfect, but was ok for the price i guess,, but all the overspray or what ever you wanna call it from when i took it back for them to paint under the hood is all over the car. BTW, should i use a clay bar to clean this up?
Old 03-27-2008, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by skitztikwon
you dont understand anything about paint...........if you dont deal base coat before spraying acrillic on it then the two paints will react with each other
Old 07-08-2008, 11:35 AM

Car: 87 Formula
Engine: BluePrint 355 w/ 600cfm Carb
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: New axles, Yukon 3.73 & Eaton Posi

I was thinking of Maaco also. My car is a daily driver, I care what it looks like when I'm flyin' past other people or sitting at a stop light. They quoted me $2000 to paint it a different color, includes the door jams and under the rear hatch, taking out two small dents and filling some small holes. Also this includes black from the bottom fading up into the blue I want. $2000? My kind of price. But I have read where a lot of you say it depends on the Maaco, so, does anyone have anything good or bad to say about the Chattanooga, Tn. Maaco?

This is my car now....

And this is the paint I'm hoping to get, just without all the decals and pinstripes...

Last edited by SpeedyGeek; 10-25-2009 at 04:35 PM.
Old 10-16-2009, 02:56 PM

Car: 87 Formula
Engine: BluePrint 355 w/ 600cfm Carb
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: New axles, Yukon 3.73 & Eaton Posi

Well I got it painted. I got it done at Len Liedel body shop in Ringgold, Ga. I paid $1950

Maaco paint job-87-formula.jpg
Old 10-16-2009, 03:29 PM

Car: '92 Camaro
Engine: 350 TPI

wow old thread bump... anyway heres my MAACO paintjob, shot taken while still in the maaco parking lot(yes it just had rained)!

9234_267850855533_550690533_8851023.jpg?t=1255724932