Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Source for "odd" weatherstrip?

Old 10-31-2008, 03:32 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 IROC-Z Camaro
Engine: L98 5.7L TPI
Transmission: 700-R4
Axle/Gears: 3.27 BW
Source for "odd" weatherstrip?

So, as it is extremely cost prohibitive to buy GM weatherstripping, I'm buying a Soffseal kit (A 14 piece kit for the same price as the 8 piece T-Top kit from GM) but it's missing a few pieces from the overall picture. I still need the T-Top Wind Shields (Hard Plastic later years, earlier rubber) the T-Top Strip Retainers (Metal. Mine are tweaked/torn. They got that way when my car was stolen and they pried the windows open to get in...) And the T-Top A and B pillar weatherstrips that go around the mounting bolts.

All of my weatherstrip is in poor condition, and I'm getting the car painted, so it's all coming off anyway.

Oh, and if anyone has objections to Soffseal, let me know what other aftermarket company you'd chose. I refuse to shell out the $500 just for the GM T-Top strip, when that + all of the rest of the stripping would make re-stripping the car cost more than my paint job.
Old 10-31-2008, 05:16 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 86WS6 30K and 82WS7 24K
Engine: 86:305 TPI, 82: 305 LG4
Transmission: 86:700R4, 82: T200C
Axle/Gears: 86:3:27 9 bolt, 82: 3:23 10 bolt
Re: Source for "odd" weatherstrip?

I do not have any experience with Sofseal, however I can tell you that I bought "new" OEM GM seals from a GM dealer for a Chevy van that we were doing a complete resto on. The seals looked great when we installed them, but 6 months later the "New" seals were just as rotten as the ones that were replaced. It seems that "New" can be new old stock. Over the years I have replaced the t-top seals in several third gens, using OEM GM seals, and had no problems, but the nagging memory of that Chevy van always crosses my mind when ordering seals.
Old 10-31-2008, 07:25 PM
On Probation

good friend

Bump! thx ! cheap wow power leveling (World of warcraft Power Leveling):buy WoW Power Leveling, cheap world of warcraft power leveling , 1-80 level wow Power Leveling,maple story mesos, wedding invitations
Old 11-01-2008, 12:21 PM
Supreme Member

Re: good friend

Damn spammers.

So I've found that the hard plastic wind shields are available from GM still, and not *that* bad of a price. But the metal retainers are no longer available. :/

Edit: Also, I've been building up a list of all of the weatherstripping parts (I don't have any diagrams to go off of, so this is based off of just research and no actual experience.)

Hood to Cowl x 1
Door x 2
T-Top Around Frame x 2
T-Top to Glass x 2
T-Top Wind Shield x 2
T-Top Retainer x 2
T-Top to A-Piller x 2
T-Top to B-Piller x 2
Rear hatch x 1
Inner Window Sweeps x 2
Outer Window Sweeps x 2
Front Door Glass (Half Arrow) x 2

Last edited by TheScaryOne; 11-01-2008 at 12:26 PM.
Old 11-01-2008, 08:36 PM

Received 167 Likes on 123 Posts
Car: 87 IROC-Z, 82 Pace Car

I'm not sure I understand your list. The Factory TTop weatherstripping starts at the bottom of the A pillar, runs up the A pillar and turns into the front of the ttop, along the center bar, across the back of the ttop and down the B pillar. That is all 1 piece. I paid about $250 for both sides from the dealer. The hood to cowl and the rear hatch seals were about $25 each from the dealer also. I didn't replace those, but I did check into them.
Old 11-02-2008, 01:35 PM
Supreme Member

Hmm. Really? Interesting. I found a diagram (can't seem to find it now, isn't that always the way?) that shows two pieces of weatherstrip, or at least pieces of rubber that go in around where the pins for the T-Top mount on.

Both of my t-tops are a colossal pain to get off right now because of damage when the car was stolen, so I haven't personally checked.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:27 PM

Re: Source for "odd" weatherstrip?

Hey Guys...I mentioned this in another post, I have done a ton of work researching these seals. I have found that the folks at Fbodywarehouse actually try really hard to help and seem to be pretty darn knowledgable, but the get their parts from the same place as Soff Seal.....and I don't think it's here....none of them could actually give me a good answer.

I tried Soff Seal and it was a horrible experience...if I sound bitter, it's cuz I am. They sold me a set for over $200 that wasn't even close to fitting and then basically told me it was my fault. I wasted months on my car and got nothing.

I finally found some original, but damaged, parts at the Lousville show last year.

I would love for Steele to do these. They are the only guys I have ever worked with that actually know this stuff and make their own parts. So...guys...help me out....call them and beg them to make all the rubber stuff for 3rd Gens. They seem to be the only guys willing to do the odd stuff AND not ship it off to crappy China.