Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

am I an idiot for buying this car? should I just give up?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 03:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1986 Camaro Z28
Engine: 305 4bbl
am I an idiot for buying this car? should I just give up?

Everytime I look at my car, I feel more and more like I got ripped off $800. (Ok, $1300 if you want to include insurance, registration, taxes, and other crap).

So I decide to start covering up the rust spots. by covering, I mean stripping down to as much bare metal as I can, applying some rustoleum rust converter, and calling it a day. It seemed with every spot I worked on, I would find new ones. Why the hell didn't I see this crap when I bought the car...I don't know. So there's a couple of craphole rust areas. One is along the t-top bar. I think it may even be rusted on the bar that runs from the hatch to the windshield, but I definitely know it's hell on the one that runs along the windshield.

The front fender (drivers side) seems to be bent in, and it looks like the support for it is bent. It's also distorting the bumper/header. I tried pounding it harder than a pair of rabbits but it would not move. *sigh*

And after stripping off the rear passengers fender, I now realized that's bent in, and no amount of hammering would bring it back to its original shape. Goddammit.

Also it seems there is a bar inside one of the hatch compartments, that holds the jack. I guess it's supposed to be mounted to the floorpan, but the bar rusted apart.

There's some spots along the hatch (inside, so I could really care less, but anyways). The passenger fender looks like it is in serious distress at the bottom, where it meets the plastic ground effect. Ugh. Here's some crappy pictures. Should I just say screw it?

http://img121.imageshack.us/g/dscn1183s.jpg/
Old 12-04-2009, 03:31 PM

Car: 1986 Camaro
Engine: 350-Carb
Transmission: 700-R4
Re: am I an idiot for buying this car? should I just give up?

well thats really up to u? It depends how much money and time you want to stick into it. What does it have for the drivetrain? You can get new fenders fairly cheap. Hows the under the car look? Might have to check brake lines for rust, rusted foor, and exhaust. Personally if had 305 or 350 then sure but if a v6 probably not. At least drive it till registration is up so u get ur moneys worth. Then if u find further problems i might consider parting out....some more pics??
Old 12-04-2009, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by madbomber824
well thats really up to u? It depends how much money and time you want to stick into it. What does it have for the drivetrain? You can get new fenders fairly cheap. Hows the under the car look? Might have to check brake lines for rust, rusted foor, and exhaust. Personally if had 305 or 350 then sure but if a v6 probably not. At least drive it till registration is up so u get ur moneys worth. Then if u find further problems i might consider parting out....some more pics??
I've lost daylight so I'll get more pics later. One of the rear brake lines was rusted so I had to replace it (still need to bleed them, those drum bleeder screws are such a horrible idea).

The exhaust is fine. Only holes are after the muffler. The floorpan seems to be fine from what I could see. Yes it's a 305 w/2.73 gears. Only other issue I see aside from the body, is...whatever the hell this part that's split wide open down the middle is:

Old 12-04-2009, 03:51 PM

Car: 1988 IROC
Engine: L98
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 3:27 9-bolt

That's the sway bar end link, and it comes split like that.

One thing I've learned with these cars is, if you go looking for rust you WILL find it. Everywhere. Mine had every rust problem you describe and more. I finally gave up on it when I found a rust-free shell for sale. Now everything from the car is being transferred to the shell. It seems to take 2 or 3 of these cars to make one good one.

If you like the car and don't mind what it looks like, continue with what you're doing. If you want to make it into a show car, you'd be better off moving on to a better one.
Old 12-04-2009, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by sleepsinshed
That's the sway bar end link, and it comes split like that.

One thing I've learned with these cars is, if you go looking for rust you WILL find it. Everywhere. Mine had every rust problem you describe and more. I finally gave up on it when I found a rust-free shell for sale. Now everything from the car is being transferred to the shell. It seems to take 2 or 3 of these cars to make one good one.

If you like the car and don't mind what it looks like, continue with what you're doing. If you want to make it into a show car, you'd be better off moving on to a better one.
All I would want is a decent-looking car that won't fall apart on the highway
Old 12-04-2009, 04:22 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 91 Formula, 79 Trans Am, 72 LeMans
Engine: 305 TPI, 6.6, 350 Pontiac
Transmission: T5, 3 speed, TH350

i just picked up this 3.1/5 speed for $300.

...it runs, but it needs ground effects, front clip minus the passenger fender, windshield, and interior is a mess (athough put 4th gen seats in it already) Was it worth it? I think I got the deal of the century, my friends/family think Im an idiot for buying it, but Ive gone 6 years since I sold my 89 and missed that car, so I feel like Im reunited with my old car (even though its a different one, I feel more at peace) Plus I like the fun of restoring cars too rather than just buying something and driving it. It makes the car that much more special when you are done. From the pictures, it looks fixable, id fix it if it was me. Just my .02 cents...
Old 12-04-2009, 04:50 PM

I suppose I should learn how to use the fiberglass bondo I got then :\ I'm glad I can learn from this lol. (has 0 bodywork experience)
Old 12-04-2009, 05:00 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 91 Formula, 79 Trans Am, 72 LeMans
Engine: 305 TPI, 6.6, 350 Pontiac
Transmission: T5, 3 speed, TH350

Originally Posted by Tonglebeak
I suppose I should learn how to use the fiberglass bondo I got then :\ I'm glad I can learn from this lol. (has 0 bodywork experience)
When I first got into cars, I didnt even know what the grit numbers on sandpaper where, but I taught myself through trial and error, and I feel I can do most bodywork minus welding. I stripped my 72 GTO down to bare metal and prepped it myself for paint, also my old 89 Camaro I did the same too, both came out looking good IMO.
Old 12-04-2009, 05:43 PM

Car: '91 Firebird (blown apart)
Engine: *cough*BOAT ANCHOR*cough*
Transmission: Slushbox

Drive it into the ground. It was only $800.
Old 12-04-2009, 06:14 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1986 Pontiac Firebird
Engine: 97 LT1 W/ Alot of goodies.
Transmission: 4L60E W/ Yank SS3600
Axle/Gears: 3.27 9 Bolt BW

Looks almost like how my maro is. Similar problems, Rust around the T-top bar, passenger side fender is bent in on the bottom but the ground effects cover it up.

If it has no sentimental value, and you don't want to spend the time on it, i say screw it. Otherwise if you're like me i say fix it
Old 12-04-2009, 09:53 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Car: To many to list

Originally Posted by Camrs89

...it runs, but it needs ground effects, front clip minus the passenger fender, windshield, and interior is a mess (athough put 4th gen seats in it already) Was it worth it? I think I got the deal of the century, my friends/family think Im an idiot for buying it
I guess we all have different opinions on "deals"..its yours though.. good luck with it.

To the OP.The t-top area looks the worst to me.I would definatley try to get those holes sealed up somehow atleast to prevent further damage.
Old 12-05-2009, 01:30 AM

Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: 5305 TBI
Transmission: 700R4

If you helps you makes you feel better, my car is a lot worse (Especially the ttops). Its funny how you miss a lot of things when you're looking over the car for the first time. When I bought my $1000 RS I hardly noticed the rust along my ttops. After ripping the headliner out the whole roof was rusting from the inside of the metal. I'm at the point where I may have to chop and swap a roof. Keep an eye open for a ttop bar, i got a rust free one off ebay for $40.

Im willing to put a lot into my car because it's my first car, and I love it. Get to know some of the local body guys and ask them for help. One of my body repair friends offered me $350 to fix the roof. I recently was at the point of getting rid of my car because my $1000 car put me into another grand money pit.

Buying these cars you know theres going to be problems. But if you love your car, you should do what you can to restore it.
Old 12-05-2009, 03:36 AM

Car: 86 berlinetta 92rs gfx
Engine: 4 bolt 384 stroker
Transmission: th350 4000 stall manual/T brake
Axle/Gears: 87 iroc 9 bolt

i paid $500 for my car, it was a 86 berlinetta with a siezed v6. straight body and the only rust i have found was in the right rear wheel well and a bit under the hatch. i think it was a wise move, and i wasnt looking for a DD, but a good foundation for a drag car. after 6 years of work, countless amounts of $$, and two donor cars, i get to drive my own creative combo of 3rd gens. was it worth the money and time?? hell yes!! can i get back what i have invested in it? hell no!

first pic is after swaping the entire drivetrain. the others are were she sits now. hope this gives you some motivation..

$800 for a running v8 car isnt a bad deal imo. $300 for that rs is a deal as well, that shlt will buff out!
Attached Thumbnails am I an idiot for buying this car? should I just give up?-l_ecacddfd60711ed986dfe2727900be20.jpg   am I an idiot for buying this car? should I just give up?-img1258931010046.jpg   am I an idiot for buying this car? should I just give up?-img1254764463718-1.jpg  

Last edited by iroc a 86 berli; 12-05-2009 at 03:55 AM.
Old 12-05-2009, 09:59 AM

Received 195 Likes on 132 Posts
Car: 1985 Z28
Engine: 305 LG4
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42

Yours doesn't look nearly as bad as mine did. $300 with a blown 2.8. Most expensive repair was the engine rebuild, but I had to put a LOT of time into it. Was a great car for years. Sold it last week, actually.

I wouldn't bother grinding the rust off. Use POR-15 and paint it right over the rust. Works great!
Attached Thumbnails am I an idiot for buying this car? should I just give up?-scan0001.jpg   am I an idiot for buying this car? should I just give up?-scan0003.jpg   am I an idiot for buying this car? should I just give up?-camaro-003email.jpg  

Last edited by Aaron R.; 12-05-2009 at 10:08 AM.
Old 12-08-2009, 03:57 AM

Car: 89 firebird, 03 Avalanche z71
Engine: 5.0 stock (for now)
Transmission: 700R4 auto
Axle/Gears: stock 2.73 for now

personally I'd say $800 is a pretty good deal for a thirdgen, and would pretty much be expected that the body would be a bit rusty. I just recently bought a 89 bird w/5.0 and 700 r4 for $400. it needs some body work, alot of interior work, but the engine and drivetrain runs great (other than the vats issue i have posted elsewere on here) SO id say yea its worth it, and worth puttin the effort into.
Old 12-08-2009, 06:44 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1986 camaro Sports Coupe
Engine: L31 350
Transmission: 89 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 gov lock

i just bought my first thirdgen which is also proudly my first car for $500

missing its headliner, radiator,and driveshaft....but now im running into some problems...like my batterys dead,my hatch is leaking from not locking right, none of my locks work,tints pealing, my steering wheels wobbling around like crazy but shes worth it

Old 12-08-2009, 07:14 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 87 iroc-z camaro
Engine: 305TPI
Axle/Gears: G92 3.23 posi

Originally Posted by Derth Deboblo
o is that all? 800 bucks boy would i like to have that to spend.

also bout your sig. well if people stop fixing them up then they really will be rare i already never see any and i cant inmagine if there was less. and i think anything ( V6 or not ) f-body carries the muscle car title
Old 12-08-2009, 07:16 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Derth Deboblo
also how old are you anyway you dont sound very mature hell i think im more mature then you and im only 13
Old 12-08-2009, 07:24 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by iroc stangs
also how old are you anyway you dont sound very mature hell i think im more mature then you and im only 13
13 huh? hmm cool im 15
Old 12-08-2009, 08:15 PM
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 87 GTA
Axle/Gears: Dana M78 3.27 posi

Originally Posted by evilemokid94
.......steering wheels wobbling around like crazy.......
Fix it before the screws fall out & you lose ALL control of steering
https://www.thirdgen.org/steeringcolumn
Old 12-08-2009, 08:39 PM

Car: 84 trans am
Engine: 305 5.0L HO
Transmission: TH350

I was wondering if he meant that there was alot of play in the steering.

For $800 outlay...it's worth it to go ahead and restore.
It drives and obviously needs some TLC.
Sounds like you are just the man to give it.
Don't give up on a good thing. You'll appreciate her more when you're done.
Like when you take a step back and say..."he he he yeah baby"
I've had them thoughts a hundred times.
Still I persevere.
I just have a titling issue now. But I'm ready to roll her out and fix what I need to over time.
Old 12-09-2009, 03:41 AM

Car: 92 RS
Engine: 305 Stock
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.08

Looking at it I simply can't help but think... its $800. Big deal. $800 for a good project. That is nothing. You got something worth working on. I think it was worth it. Stop worrying about that $800 and start thinking about the path to get to where you want. After more than five years of driving my car I am finally getting a new paint job (the one I had looked good at first but has been peeling the last two years or so) and I'm going to finally have it the color I always wanted it to be. It is going to be great. Enjoy your car man. You will not care about the $800 at all in a few months but you will still care about your car.
Old 12-09-2009, 03:22 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Stephen
Fix it before the screws fall out & you lose ALL control of steering
https://www.thirdgen.org/steeringcolumn
thank you for that, i thought i had to pull back on my airbag and horn peice to get to the screws
Old 12-09-2009, 03:26 PM
Banned

thank you for that, i thought i had to pull back on my airbag and horn peice to get to the screws
You do...The airbag & whole steering wheel have to come off, but those are simple to do. Even without an airbag, the steering wheel still has to come off.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:31 PM
Supreme Member

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
Car: basic third gens
Engine: that I like
Transmission: to restore
Axle/Gears: and enjoy

That doesn't look bad at all. The rust around the tops needs to be taken care of before it creates other issues, but the rest looks OK.

If it makes you feel better, I have paid more for a car in far worse shape. You would love your car if you saw pics of mine.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:34 PM
Supreme Member

You do...The airbag & whole steering wheel have to come off, but those are simple to do. Even without an airbag, the steering wheel still has to come off.
yeah, my car has a rebuilt title so i thjink the airbag might be gone....still edge about setting it off trying to take the wheel off
Old 12-09-2009, 07:35 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by 86blackiroc
That doesn't look bad at all. The rust around the tops needs to be taken care of before it creates other issues, but the rest looks OK.

If it makes you feel better, I have paid more for a car in far worse shape. You would love your car if you saw pics of mine.
whos car are you talking about?
Old 12-09-2009, 07:58 PM
Supreme Member

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
Car: basic third gens
Engine: that I like
Transmission: to restore
Axle/Gears: and enjoy

whos car are you talking about?
I was talking about Tongle's car. Your's looks like it was a really good deal... unless the other side looks like poo poo
Old 12-09-2009, 08:36 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by 86blackiroc
I was talking about Tongle's car. Your's looks like it was a really good deal... unless the other side looks like poo poo
nope, cars in good condition,besides alittle rust along the driver side and som rust in my back hatch from it not being latched for almost 2 years.....
Old 12-10-2009, 09:51 PM
Pew

Car: 90 camaro
Engine: 355
Transmission: t10
Axle/Gears: 9" with 4.88's

lol your 13 and think your mature ......

Last edited by Pew; 12-10-2009 at 10:39 PM.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:04 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Pew
lol your 13 ans think your mature ......
man im more mature then that guy least i care about cars and dont think there all junk and not worth saving. and i also know not to lay a hand on a women EVER i bet he's sum punk women beater that doesnt know crap.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1984 Z28
Engine: 406
Transmission: 350th
Axle/Gears: 373:1

I'd say hardly an idiot. I bought mine in when I was in highschool. It had one of those virgin bodies that spent over a100k on ice covered roads. Heres a pic as it sat 6 months ago when I tore it apart...
Name:  091.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  80.8 KB

A rust pic
Name:  093.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  125.5 KB
When I bought it I didn't hardly know a thing about cars, now it's safe to say I do, and that was worth more than I paid for it. You have two ways of looking at a problem. One is to see at as a loss, and the other is to see it as a challenge that will only make you stronger, smarter, and in the end more successful. You paid 800 for it, just save some money for parts, tools, and training, or save it for another roller.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:39 PM
Pew

man im more mature then that guy least i care about cars and dont think there all junk and not worth saving. and i also know not to lay a hand on a women EVER i bet he's sum punk women beater that doesnt know crap.

Hes my brother and he has never laid a hand on a women! He has a full time job pays all of his bills on time has a family owns his own house. And cares greatly about his family. So yeah he is more mature than you. And you call him a punk but your the one call people women beaters? Yeah that comment made you seem really mature. He knows when to fix a car and when to let it go he dosent actually care what others do but his opinon and hes allowed it.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:09 PM

WOW
how did this thread turn into an opportunity to sling personal insults at others?
Who gives anyone the right to do that?
Have the rules been read by the minors on here.
Your comments display where the immaturity lies within this thread.
You apparently know nothing about this chap and your statements are unwarranted and unfounded.
I believe you should apologise to this gentleman and humble yourself among the people who can and probably will teach you a lot around here.
Alternatively you could take this kind of behavior over to ls1tech where it is more common.
I happen to think highly of this board and respect it's MATURE atmosphere.
Please don't ruin it for us.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:11 PM
Pew

i hope your not talking to me
Old 12-10-2009, 11:20 PM

Of course not sir.
I back you 100% here man.
You slung no insults.
It was the minor earlier who has insulted your family.
Believe me I know what it's like to get too worked up in a thread...I've done it on forums in the past. Then I learned that it loses you the respect of the other members.
I also stopped talking to other members on other forums for the same reason...continued flaming and personal insults.
It's just bad form as they say.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:29 PM
Pew

ok thank you i appreciate it
Old 12-10-2009, 11:31 PM

Car: 1988 Firebird - 1998 Z28
Engine: 2.8 - LS1

Why are there kids arguing on a tech board? Wheres a mod when you need one... JT? anyone?
Old 12-10-2009, 11:35 PM

You are very welcome sir...
If it were not for the integrity of the thread and the OP's wish for input then it should be closed IMO.
Threads get way off track too easily.
I hope your brother turns his dismay into a smile from ear to ear with his project.
Good luck to him.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1988 Pontiac Trans Am GTA.
Engine: 385 stroker sbc
Transmission: TKO600
Axle/Gears: Moser 9" 3.70 Wavetrac

When I bought it I didn't hardly know a thing about cars, now it's safe to say I do, and that was worth more than I paid for it.
that is 100% correct. Plus you can never go wrong with buying a 3rd gen for 800 bucks. There's a couple formulas in edmonton for $1 200
Old 12-15-2009, 10:12 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Pew
Hes my brother and he has never laid a hand on a women! He has a full time job pays all of his bills on time has a family owns his own house. And cares greatly about his family. So yeah he is more mature than you. And you call him a punk but your the one call people women beaters? Yeah that comment made you seem really mature. He knows when to fix a car and when to let it go he dosent actually care what others do but his opinon and hes allowed it.
im sorry it just seems alot of these people that buys these classic muscle cars and just punks that want something fast and cheap. i give him kudos for taking care of his family and being a man. im sorry.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:38 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 85 2M6 Fiero, 06 2500 HD, 88 'burb
Engine: LX9, LQ4, L05
Transmission: F23, 4L80E, 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.63, 4.10 14 bolt

...classic muscle cars and just punks that want something fast and cheap...
Third gens aren't muscle cars. muscle cars died when big blocks were no longer factory options.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ericjon262
Third gens aren't muscle cars. muscle cars died when big blocks were no longer factory options.
I guess if "muscle car" doesn't rely on real muscle, then yeah. The majority of the 60s "muscle cars" were not actually all that fast, if not slower than modern cars.

Some of the 60s car were fast yaeh..But do some REAL research & you'll find that modern day cars are faster, as a whole. Some of the 3rd gens were fast enough to fit even your perception of "muscle car".

Couple that, with the power we we make and the emissions restrictions were are bound by.....We make more muscle. Strip the emisions stuff & the extra weight brought on by crash standards & several variations of 3rd gens could own "muscle cars".l
Old 12-15-2009, 10:54 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 85 2M6 Fiero, 06 2500 HD, 88 'burb
Engine: LX9, LQ4, L05
Transmission: F23, 4L80E, 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.63, 4.10 14 bolt

I guess if "muscle car" doesn't rely on real muscle, then yeah. The majority of the 60s "muscle cars" were not actually all that fast, if not slower than modern cars.

Some of the 60s car were fast yaeh..But do some REAL research & you'll find that modern day cars are faster, as a whole. Some of the 3rd gens were fast enough to fit even your perception of "muscle car".

Couple that, with the power we we make and the emissions restrictions were are bound by.....We make more muscle. Strip the emisions stuff & the extra weight brought on by crash standards & several variations of 3rd gens could own "muscle cars".l
I'm not saying they were fast, muscle cars were about putting big block in a small(for the day) car, yes, our cars do make more power, but they handle way to good to be a muscle car, muscle cars do one thing well. go strait.
Old 12-16-2009, 03:22 AM

Car: 1990 Camaro RS
Engine: V8 305 TBI
Transmission: W/C T5
Axle/Gears: 3.08

What the f*ck is going on here? Stick to the damn topic, keep your comments about "woman beaters" and whatnot to yourselves and stay on topic.

I, like many others here, did not know much about cars when I purchased my camaro, however, through eagerness to learn, the internet (this website primarily), and a couple of auto shop classes, I am confident I can do anything to my car.

Definitely do not give up, considering you've already invested $800 into it. Start with what needs to be repaired to make it a safe, reliable car, like the steering column. After you've worked those kinks out move onto performance or visual upgrades, whichever you prefer.

These cars are simple to work on once you've learned the in's and out's of them. Start reading all you can, there's a wealth of information on this site.

Good luck.
Old 12-16-2009, 03:44 AM

Car: 1984 camaro z28
Engine: 305 H.O.
Transmission: 700r4 automatic
Axle/Gears: 3.73

Originally Posted by Camrs89

...it runs, but it needs ground effects, front clip minus the passenger fender, windshield, and interior is a mess (athough put 4th gen seats in it already) Was it worth it? I think I got the deal of the century, my friends/family think Im an idiot for buying it, but Ive gone 6 years since I sold my 89 and missed that car, so I feel like Im reunited with my old car (even though its a different one, I feel more at peace) Plus I like the fun of restoring cars too rather than just buying something and driving it. It makes the car that much more special when you are done. From the pictures, it looks fixable, id fix it if it was me. Just my .02 cents...
im glad im not the only gear head that still knows a good deal when i see it
Old 12-16-2009, 10:42 AM

Car: 86 berlinetta 92rs gfx
Engine: 4 bolt 384 stroker
Transmission: th350 4000 stall manual/T brake
Axle/Gears: 87 iroc 9 bolt

Originally Posted by Pierced_Zombie
im glad im not the only gear head that still knows a good deal when i see it
Old 12-16-2009, 08:30 PM

Car: 89 Iroc
Engine: none yet
Axle/Gears: strange 33 spline 4.30

Originally Posted by ericjon262
I disagree.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:34 PM

Car: 1987 IROC & 1968 Nova
Engine: 5.0 TPI & 350
Transmission: 700R4 & powerglide

with bonebrake22
Old 12-16-2009, 10:13 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1987 Camaro SC, 1999 Z28
Engine: GMPP 350HO, LS1
Transmission: Built 700r4/EDGE 3200, T56
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Eaton 7.625, 3.42 Zexel Torsen

Idiot no, in for it, yes.

I bought my car 5 yrs ago for 1300$. 15k later and it almost looks worse than when i bought it...

Quick Reply: am I an idiot for buying this car? should I just give up?