Replacing Side View Mirror Glass - What Glue to Use? - Third Generation F-Body Message Boards


Go Back   Third Generation F-Body Message Boards > Tech Boards > Body
Search

Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Replacing Side View Mirror Glass - What Glue to Use?

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-24-2010, 10:41 PM   #1
Member
iTrader: (3)
 
solaris_vii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: toledo, oh
Posts: 181
Car: 1997 z28
Engine: lt1
Transmission: t56

Replacing Side View Mirror Glass - What Glue to Use?

hello all. just picked up an 87 z for a great price. anywho the mirror glass on the drivers side mirror is broken. i got a replacement mirror for it, it was supposed to be red so i could just swap out the mirrors but instead it was teal so i went through the trouble of disassembling the mirror and removing the glass. wasnt too hard, only nicked a tiny little corner with the screwdriver. so, to reattatch this glass to the old mirrors plastic piece, what glue do i use? ive looked on the threads and ive mostly seen some kind of silicone glue. i have a bunch of loctite black rtv silicone. would this work? itd be great if i didnt have to buy anything. thanks in advance!
solaris_vii is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 11:43 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 215
Car: 1986 Camaro Iroc Z
Engine: V8 305 TPI
Transmission: 700R4

Send a message via AIM to aqualordx93
Re: Replacing Side View Mirror Glass - What Glue to Use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by solaris_vii View Post
hello all. just picked up an 87 z for a great price. anywho the mirror glass on the drivers side mirror is broken. i got a replacement mirror for it, it was supposed to be red so i could just swap out the mirrors but instead it was teal so i went through the trouble of disassembling the mirror and removing the glass. wasnt too hard, only nicked a tiny little corner with the screwdriver. so, to reattatch this glass to the old mirrors plastic piece, what glue do i use? ive looked on the threads and ive mostly seen some kind of silicone glue. i have a bunch of loctite black rtv silicone. would this work? itd be great if i didnt have to buy anything. thanks in advance!
same thing happened to me. im not sure bout the silicone, i just used some 3M sticky tape. worked fine, your call though.
aqualordx93 is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 11:50 PM   #3
Member
iTrader: (3)
 
solaris_vii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: toledo, oh
Posts: 181
Car: 1997 z28
Engine: lt1
Transmission: t56

Re: Replacing Side View Mirror Glass - What Glue to Use?

i wanted to use the black silicone because i was hoping it would hide the small knick in the corner lol any other thoughts? would it be strong enough?
solaris_vii is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 10:31 AM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 215
Car: 1986 Camaro Iroc Z
Engine: V8 305 TPI
Transmission: 700R4

Send a message via AIM to aqualordx93
Re: Replacing Side View Mirror Glass - What Glue to Use?

i believe it would be strong enough, good luck!
aqualordx93 is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 05:58 PM   #5
Member
iTrader: (3)
 
solaris_vii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: toledo, oh
Posts: 181
Car: 1997 z28
Engine: lt1
Transmission: t56

Re: Replacing Side View Mirror Glass - What Glue to Use?

ill give it a shot once school is out (2 weeks) and ill post the results up here. first i gotta get the door panel off!
solaris_vii is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 03:56 PM   #6
Member
 
TREK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: S.FLORIDA
Posts: 123
Car: 1979 vette
Engine: 350
Transmission: th350

Re: Replacing Side View Mirror Glass - What Glue to Use?

3M super weatherstripe adhesive. thats some strong **** !!
TREK is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 05:28 PM   #7
Member
 
DAREDEVIL 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bradenton FL
Posts: 454
Car: CAMARO,GMC SUBURBAN DUALLY,RACEBOA
Engine: 305 TBI( soon 383),350Vortec
Transmission: 700 turbo

Re: Replacing Side View Mirror Glass - What Glue to Use?

just replace the hole inside mirror, lot easyer...u can find a used one here on this site for maybe 15-30 bucks and u have the hole thing stock !!!!!!!
DAREDEVIL 1 is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 08:23 PM   #8
Member
iTrader: (3)
 
solaris_vii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: toledo, oh
Posts: 181
Car: 1997 z28
Engine: lt1
Transmission: t56

Re: Replacing Side View Mirror Glass - What Glue to Use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAREDEVIL 1 View Post
just replace the hole inside mirror, lot easyer...u can find a used one here on this site for maybe 15-30 bucks and u have the hole thing stock !!!!!!!
thats what i originally started to do but its a manual mirror not a power mirror and one of the adjustment cables got kinked pretty badly when i took it apart so i figured id just replace the glass. i already did the hard part of removing the glass, now i just gotta glue it!
solaris_vii is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 08:24 PM   #9
Member
iTrader: (3)
 
solaris_vii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: toledo, oh
Posts: 181
Car: 1997 z28
Engine: lt1
Transmission: t56

Re: Replacing Side View Mirror Glass - What Glue to Use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREK View Post
3M super weatherstripe adhesive. thats some strong **** !!
thanks for the tip!
solaris_vii is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 09:03 PM   #10
Member
 
DAREDEVIL 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bradenton FL
Posts: 454
Car: CAMARO,GMC SUBURBAN DUALLY,RACEBOA
Engine: 305 TBI( soon 383),350Vortec
Transmission: 700 turbo

Re: Replacing Side View Mirror Glass - What Glue to Use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by solaris_vii View Post
thats what i originally started to do but its a manual mirror not a power mirror and one of the adjustment cables got kinked pretty badly when i took it apart so i figured id just replace the glass. i already did the hard part of removing the glass, now i just gotta glue it!

If u buy a used one, all the wires should be on there, then just swao it out ( the complete inside )

Or go to a marine store and buy 5200, that is what its called..its a silicon..but do not get it on your hands and dont get it anywhere else ..lol
U can glue your car to the street with it !!!!
DAREDEVIL 1 is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 10:06 PM   #11
Member
iTrader: (3)
 
solaris_vii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: toledo, oh
Posts: 181
Car: 1997 z28
Engine: lt1
Transmission: t56

Re: Replacing Side View Mirror Glass - What Glue to Use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAREDEVIL 1 View Post
If u buy a used one, all the wires should be on there, then just swao it out ( the complete inside )

Or go to a marine store and buy 5200, that is what its called..its a silicon..but do not get it on your hands and dont get it anywhere else ..lol
U can glue your car to the street with it !!!!
sorry didnt clarify i bought another used one and when i took that one apart the cable got kinked so i didnt want to use it
solaris_vii is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 10:08 PM   #12
Member
 
DAREDEVIL 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bradenton FL
Posts: 454
Car: CAMARO,GMC SUBURBAN DUALLY,RACEBOA
Engine: 305 TBI( soon 383),350Vortec
Transmission: 700 turbo

Re: Replacing Side View Mirror Glass - What Glue to Use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by solaris_vii View Post
sorry didnt clarify i bought another used one and when i took that one apart the cable got kinked so i didnt want to use it

GOTCHYA !!!!!! lol...i guess it did not unhook fast enuff for ya ..lol
DAREDEVIL 1 is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[CA] GM original OEM Driver Side Door Glass 1992 Trans Am Exterior Parts for Sale 5 04-04-2016 12:50 PM
wtb 91/92 formula bumper and mirror ziggy89 Exterior Parts Wanted 6 09-10-2015 08:44 AM
Sife mirror replacment 1989 formula 350 89FormulaMan Body 0 08-10-2015 10:01 PM
Question about door glass roller BrianI Body 0 08-09-2015 11:52 AM
[IL] 89 GTA Rear View Mirror GEmrsn Interior Parts Wanted 3 08-08-2015 03:15 PM


Go Back   Third Generation F-Body Message Boards > Tech Boards > Body

Tags
5200, back, buy, car, drivers, glass, glue, mirror, morror, replace, replacement, replacing, side, suburban, view

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:21 PM.


All content copyright 1997 - 2014 ThirdGen.org. All rights reserved. No part of this website may be reproduced without the expressed, documented, and written consent of ThirdGen.org's Administrators.