Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

hood fitment

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 09:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1982 Z28
Engine: 383
Transmission: TCI TH350
Axle/Gears: 3.23 Posi
hood fitment

I bought a new Goodmark 4in cowl last year at Summit. I am trying to get it to fit right but it's giving me some issues. The driver side portion of the hood seems to sit about half an inch to an inch higher than the other side and I can't get it to lay flat.
I removed the air cleaner to make sure it wasn't hitting anywhere and it wasn't. This is a bolt on hood and I have it using the stock hinges in the back with no hardware up front except for hood pins ( I like the look).
Here are some pics. I tried it with the hinges very loose on both sides so I could adjust it but it always wants to sit higher on that side.
The only thing I can think of is the hinges. They work with my stock hood just fine though. This is an 82z28. Any body guys out there want to help out?

Here is what I am talking about :

Old 05-21-2012, 08:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91 z28
Engine: LS1
Transmission: 4L60e
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt 3.42
Re: hood fitment

You may try it with no hinges installed and see how it fits. Picture appears that drivers side is 1/2" to 3/4" too far forward. The stock hoods didnt really have the best fit to begin with. Iirc I had to enlongate a few holes in the hinges to get my stock hoods fit more "show quality". On a side note, Goodmark (now owned by LKQ) has a reputation for good fitment.