Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Two tone paint job, could use some tips!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 09:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Two tone paint job, could use some tips!

I am going to be beginning my prep work on my car this week to get it ready to paint. I am going to paint it the way it came with flame red poly on the top and a 8" black stripe on the bottom divided with an 1inch vinyl pinstrip. I have kustom/restoration shops bc/cc system.

So should I paint the red or the black first? I know you normally paint the dark colors last but I was thinking about the fact that after shooting the red, I would have to mask off the entire car to avoid risking getting black overspray in the red paint. If I do the back first I only have the 8" black stripe at the bottom to cover, much easier. I can mask off the car before the black because I will have the 1" pinstripe to cover the seam. So I won't be getting the black paint where the red will be, therefore no bleed through. Then the tech sheet says 20-40 mins to tape, so I mask then shoot the red, then usmask and clear coat.The tech sheet says 30mins to clear but if basecoat sits for longer than 24 hours scuff and recoat it. So that means I have 24 hours to get the clear on without problems correct? Then pinstripe over the clear. Sound reasonable? I realize it might not be the perfect way but this is my first paint job so I already know I am probably not going to be winning any awards, I just want it to look good.

Also after the 2k primer I was going to reduce my red epoxy primer to make it a sealer and spray that over the 2k. Should I spray the sealer then put the basecoat right on or should I put the sealer on the day before, scuff it, then put the basecoat on? Thanks!
Old 08-22-2012, 10:05 AM

Re: Two tone paint job, could use some tips!

Also spraying the 2nd basecoat and removing the masking, would I wipe the paint down with wax and grease remover after the flash time where the masking was? I was worried it might damage the paint but I didn't know if the masking would leave residual contamination. Also if I sprayed the epoxy sealer the same day should I wipe it down after masking?
Old 08-24-2012, 10:34 PM

Re: Two tone paint job, could use some tips!

Ok, what about this one.. . I read on here the foam that is in the pillars along the windshield hold moisture and cause them to rust. Is there a way to get it out without cutting a hole in it? Is there a gap at the top if I take the headliner out? I didn't want to have to do that but if there is I will.