Search

Go Back   Third Generation F-Body Message Boards > Tech Boards > Body
Register Forgot Password?

Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Welcome to ThirdGen.org!
Welcome to ThirdGen.org.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join the ThirdGen.org community today!

Old 10-13-2012, 06:46 PM   #1

Car: 82 Z-28
Engine: Built 406ci
Transmission: 700R4 w/3000 stall
Axle/Gears: 3.73 Torsen Posi, Moser Axles

Classifieds Rating: (7)

L88 Hood Scoop Install

I've decided to change up the look of the Z-28 that has had a 2 1/2" cowl hood on it since 1993 when I had the car painted. I decided to mount an L88 hood scoop onto the original SMC Z-28 hood that came on my car in 1982. I bought the 3 3/4" tall version in fiberglass from Summit Racing and have begun the process of modifying the hood. I have cut the opening after laying out the scoop and getting it dead center on the hood, making sure to leave all the factory hood structure in tact for structural integrity. Once I get the hood bonded with 3-M's 8116 2 part epoxy made for bonding fiberglass to SMC or visa-versa. The next thing I need to do is sand the area around the hood where the scoop will be bonded for proper bonding and then begin the process of getting everything smooth for paint. I will post some pics as I go. I have always liked the look of the L88 hood on the corvettes and it is one of those love it or hate designs. Seems you see a lot of the cowl hoods and I am one who likes to have a little different look. I have the 5" tall rear Hawks spoiler when they first came out with them and have always had compliments on these cars looks really good with the tall spoiler.
82 Z-28 406ci with 10:5:1 compression, 700R4 trans with 3000 stall lockup convertor. Rebuilt 10 bolt rearend with 3:73 grs. Moser axles, and Torsen posi unit.
cc 82Z-28 is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:43 PM   #2
COTM Editor

Car: 91 & 92 Z28 & 87 SC
Engine: LS1 & 2 305 TPI's
Transmission: T56, 2 700r4's
Axle/Gears: 3.73, 3.08, and ???

Classifieds Rating: (11)
Re: L88 Hood Scoop Install

Post a couple pics. I'm intrested in how this will come out. I have seen more than one of those just riveted on, or bolted and bondoed!

Is your car a SC?
1991 Camaro Z28 - LS1 (soon) 305 TPI, T56, coated Hedman headers, QTP cutout, gutted cat, Hooker cat back, MSD Pro billet, 6AL, MSD coil, wires, AFPR, airfoil, K&Ns, plenum P&P, underdrive pulleys, 1.6 roller rockers, Cloyes double roller TC, free mods, SPEC clutch, Alum. flywheel, Hurst shifter, 3.73 gears, stud girdle cover, Sportline springs, polished STB, polished aluminum driveshaft, Spohn adj wonder bar, Spohn sway bars, Spohn adj panhard, Spohn adj lca, Spohn SFC, full poly bushings, solid tie rod sleeves, Baer track plus brakes, 18x9 & 18x10" ROH Drift R's, Full custom leather interior, custom paint... FOR NOW!!!
BADNBLK is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:44 PM   #3
COTM Editor

Car: 91 & 92 Z28 & 87 SC
Engine: LS1 & 2 305 TPI's
Transmission: T56, 2 700r4's
Axle/Gears: 3.73, 3.08, and ???

Classifieds Rating: (11)

One of the guys in my club...

Click the image to open in full size.
1991 Camaro Z28 - LS1 (soon) 305 TPI, T56, coated Hedman headers, QTP cutout, gutted cat, Hooker cat back, MSD Pro billet, 6AL, MSD coil, wires, AFPR, airfoil, K&Ns, plenum P&P, underdrive pulleys, 1.6 roller rockers, Cloyes double roller TC, free mods, SPEC clutch, Alum. flywheel, Hurst shifter, 3.73 gears, stud girdle cover, Sportline springs, polished STB, polished aluminum driveshaft, Spohn adj wonder bar, Spohn sway bars, Spohn adj panhard, Spohn adj lca, Spohn SFC, full poly bushings, solid tie rod sleeves, Baer track plus brakes, 18x9 & 18x10" ROH Drift R's, Full custom leather interior, custom paint... FOR NOW!!!
BADNBLK is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:19 PM   #4

My car has the t-tops and is an original Z-28. I'm waiting to get my camera back to take some pics of what I have done thus far. I have the opening cut out and everything sanded, a friend of mine is loaning me his gun for the 3-m 2 part epoxy that I am using to bond this onto the hood. When I am done it will look as though it was made as a one piece hood and not a seperate scoop added. I didn't want to spend 400.00-500.00 for the L88 hood when I had the original plastic/glass hood that came on the car.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:54 PM   #5

Car: 1987 Trans Am
Engine: 355 tpi
Transmission: 5 speed

Classifieds Rating: (0)

You camaro Guys have it easy when it comes to hood scoops I have the L88, ZL1 hood scoop molded to my trans am hood and wasn't easy to do with the curved hood
T/Aperformance is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:40 PM   #6
Supreme Member

Car: 1989 Iroc-Z Camaro
Engine: TBI,5.0
Transmission: Automatic 700R4
Axle/Gears: Eaton Posi,3.42,LPW Ultimate Cover

Send a message via ICQ to Ron U.S.M.C. Send a message via AIM to Ron U.S.M.C. Send a message via Yahoo to Ron U.S.M.C.

IMO,Any one that knows anything about cars will see its a Corvette hood scoop added to a Camaro hood and it does scream Corvette a little to loudly.I do beleave in doing what you want with your own car because after all that what its all about. Doing what you think looks best for you. Even though its not something I would do I am very interested in the process/modification your doing.

Last edited by Ron U.S.M.C.; 10-15-2012 at 10:47 PM.
Ron U.S.M.C. is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronusmc View Post
IMO,Any one that knows anything about cars will see its a Corvette hood scoop added to a Camaro hood and it does scream Corvette a little to loudly.I do beleave in doing what you want with your own car because after all that what its all about. Doing what you think looks best for you. Even though its not something I would do I am very interested in the process/modification your doing.
I agree, that's what I like about this hobby called hot rodding. I have things done that reflect my time and age when it comes to hot rods, such as the lettering that I had done years ago with the pinstripping that an artist did for me. As for being a Corvette hood style scoop, that's ok too, I like the look and it will go with the C-5 Corvette calipers that are on the front of the car in bright red and the word "corvette" showing, it's all good and fun. As I said , I will get some pics up shortly to show the progress. The hood is cut out where I needed and it will give me some much needed clearence for my air cleaner. The other mod I am doing this winter is the PBR calipers for the rear as well as a new chrome mastercylinder/booster and lines.
Old 10-17-2012, 05:01 PM   #8

Here's a couple of pics of the hood cut out for the scoop. I followed the lines of the hood and that is why it has the appearence of no being totally square, I felt looks fine and that way I kept nearly 99% of the bracing for strength. Next is to get it bonded and then working it until there is no seam visible where the scoop and hood are bonded.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hood Pics 006 (Medium).jpg (65.2 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg Hood Pics 008 (Medium).jpg (67.7 KB, 30 views)
Old 10-22-2012, 12:25 PM   #9

Car: 1987 Trans Am
Engine: 355 tpi
Transmission: 5 speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc 82Z-28 View Post
Here's a couple of pics of the hood cut out for the scoop. I followed the lines of the hood and that is why it has the appearence of no being totally square, I felt looks fine and that way I kept nearly 99% of the bracing for strength. Next is to get it bonded and then working it until there is no seam visible where the scoop and hood are bonded.
It doesn't look like you will be able to take full advantage of that scoop the way you have it cut out, That scoops design has a built in heat extractor built in, And that area will collect rain and dirt if it doesn't have a place to go,
Now if it were me I would strengthen up the hood in the center before I molded the scoop , Other wise the hood may flex and crack at the seems, I would weld some metal around the hole that you cut, then mold in the scoop.
T/Aperformance is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:25 PM
ThirdGen
1992 Camaro

Paid Advertisement

Go Back   Third Generation F-Body Message Boards > Tech Boards > Body

Tags
88, body, camaro, collects, front, hood, l88, paint, pictures, rebuild, scoop, spoiler, tech, water, west