Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

swapping in power windows

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2001, 05:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
swapping in power windows

anyone that has done this, please let me know how much of a pain in the *** it was....just give me a low down on it, i already have the donor car. thanks

------------------
350, Comp 262, Edelbrock Performer intake 600 cfm carb and exhaust, headers
-JVC, Eclipse, Pioneer, MTX, Phoenix Gold, Planet Audio
Old 04-05-2001, 12:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is a pain in the *** but not too bad. I got a door from the junkyard that was manual and I switched my power motor into it. You have to grind those rivet things off that hold the motor and regulator in place and then what I did was just take out anything that unbolted like the glass slides and all of the adjustable parts. Once all of that is out I took the glass out and there was enough room to take the motor assembly out. I don't think there is any other way to take that whole assembly out or put it back in without taking everything else out first so it would fit through the top of the door where the glass goes through. Once you have it out it is a good time to clean the motor out if it is slow. just take the plastic piece out of the bottom of the motor and clean everything and replace brushes if necessary. Then just put the motor in the new door in the same spot and use some nuts and bolts where the rivets were and assemble everything else and you're done.
Old 04-05-2001, 12:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: Firebird SSA
Engine: 3.1
Transmission: 700R4
I've done it. No much pain. The quick run down. Pop of the rivits. Unbolt the windows guides. Slide out the non power regulator. Then the reverse. Using nuts and bolts. Then wiring. If you want more detail you can look at the tech articles (Windows 101) or email todd@ong-inc.com

------------------
90 Firebird SSA (Bone stock 3.1)

Everything Below I've added

Engine: Accel Super Coil, 8mm Accel Ignition Wires, 170 Degree Thermostat, NKG Plautum Plugs, K&N Filter, Flowmaster 80

Suspension: Bell Tech Drop Spindles, Edelbrock PanHard Bar, Lakewood Lower Control Arms, Wonderbar IROC-Z, KYB GR2 Struts, KYB Gas-a-Just Shocks, PST Suspension Polygrapite Bushings All Round, 36mm WS6 Front Sway Bar, 24mm WS6 Rear Sway Bar

Brakes: Cross Drilled and sloted Rotors

Appearance: Trans Am Tail Lights, Trans Am Wrap Around Wing, Trans Am 16" Alum rims, Tinted Windows Rear 90% Sides 50%

Interior: GTA power seats, Overhead console, Power windows, Power locks, T-tops, Sun shade, Pioneer P77DH, Uniden radar detector, Intellitronix - Fuel pressure gauge, Transmission temp gauge. (In pods)