Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

gauging interest - FUNCTIONAL HOOD LOUVERS

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 04:05 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gauging interest - FUNCTIONAL HOOD LOUVERS

TGO,
I know this sounds like a broke record....

I have been talking to a guy that makes louvers (among other things). After talking to him on the phone he basically said that he wants to be able to sale more than a few sets otherwise it would not be worth the effort.

Here are the louvers that I am ordering (see below). I am trying to get him to modify his cad design of these louvers into the shape of a Stock IROC louver. If there is enough interest, he might even make a whole new design all together.

Who is interested??
Name:  4-18-20141-56-31PM_zps68b1516e.jpg
Views: 2402
Size:  24.6 KB

Name:  4-18-20141-56-50PM_zps16eda175.jpg
Views: 970
Size:  30.4 KB

Name:  4-18-20141-57-03PM_zps0eb97d9a.jpg
Views: 837
Size:  21.2 KB

Last edited by blakecharles; 04-18-2014 at 04:15 PM.
Old 04-18-2014, 04:08 PM
Supreme Member

Re: gauging interest - FUNCTIONAL HOOD LOUVERS

Here is what they look like from the bottom
Name:  4-18-20142-00-09PM_zps93b046a4.jpg
Views: 806
Size:  127.5 KB

Here is a completely different set that he made
Name:  4-18-20141-57-44PM_zpsd0428ad1.jpg
Views: 1046
Size:  30.5 KB
Old 04-18-2014, 04:09 PM
Supreme Member

Here is a pic of some of his louvers being made
Name:  4-18-20142-00-38PM_zpsef5be426.jpg
Views: 795
Size:  35.4 KB

They come as a flat piece of metal (images shown are not the same louvers as posted above, but same concept)
Name:  photobucket-2206-1326757058383.jpg
Views: 811
Size:  37.4 KB

Here they are after being properly bent before installation
Name:  photobucket-1393-1329496577730.jpg
Views: 765
Size:  49.8 KB

Name:  photobucket-6852-1329496483140.jpg
Views: 806
Size:  64.3 KB
Old 04-18-2014, 04:12 PM
Supreme Member

If I cannot get anyone else on-board, I will just have him do mine and be done with it. The pair of louvers on the red car above are the louvers I am ordering btw... At some point I'm hoping to send him a set of IROC louvers.

I told him that I had 15 people interested, he said that would be enough

Last edited by blakecharles; 04-18-2014 at 04:16 PM.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:07 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is what they look like from the bottom
Name:  4-18-20142-00-09PM_zps93b046a4.jpg
Views: 841
Size:  127.5 KB

I like the idea, but it looks like they take a lot of precious under-hood room. Certainly will cause air cleaner clearance issues for carbureted and TBI cars.
Old 04-19-2014, 01:55 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Joe Tag
I like the idea, but it looks like they take a lot of precious under-hood room. Certainly will cause air cleaner clearance issues for carbureted and TBI cars.
I suppose that you are right, I have a ls1 swap... it's not a big deal for me
Old 04-19-2014, 01:56 PM
Supreme Member

no takers huh?? no wonder people don't produce parts for thirdgens...
Old 04-28-2014, 12:20 AM

Car: 1988 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z
Engine: 408 LSx
Transmission: T56 Magnum
Axle/Gears: 3.73 10-Bolt Detroit TrueTrac
I'd be interested in a set that mimicked the IROC louvers, provided under hood clearance was good. Plan on going carb soon, I need that clearance.
Old 04-28-2014, 05:10 AM

Car: 88 iroc vert

i might be interested if he could get them almost the identical to the stock louvers, or fit inside the dented area where the louvers go. and if the price isnt too outrageous
Old 04-28-2014, 10:58 AM

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Car: 87 Trans Am
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56

I'd think you would have more interest if they mimiced the stock louvers but were functional.
Old 04-28-2014, 11:15 AM
Supreme Member

Received 105 Likes on 86 Posts
Car: 1983 Z28
Engine: 385 Fastburn
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: BorgWarner 9-bolt posi, 3.27 gears

Looks like the only function they serve is to let some heat out and let a lot of water in. If your car is a fair weather only car then that's one thing but I just don't see any good reasons to make the hood louvers on these cars functional. I imagine that's why you don't have many takers. JMO
Old 04-29-2014, 02:30 AM

Car: 02wrx/88 rs
Engine: 2.0L turbo/nothing yet!
Transmission: 4eat/waiting on a t56
Axle/Gears: 3.73

Originally Posted by WTR388
I'd think you would have more interest if they mimiced the stock louvers but were functional.

Agreed. However, these might work for me, but they would have to fit stock location, just cut a hole. Price?

Originally Posted by RedLeader289
Looks like the only function they serve is to let some heat out and let a lot of water in. If your car is a fair weather only car then that's one thing but I just don't see any good reasons to make the hood louvers on these cars functional. I imagine that's why you don't have many takers. JMO
I plan on adding a cover for motor. If a tpi car, make sure electrical connections are good. Then don't worry IMO.

This also adds some front down force look at the wind tunnel results of the newish ford gt or the zl1.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:16 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1985 Trans Am T-Top
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: T-5 5 Speed
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi 1LE 10 bolt

Seriously, you think just the extractor is going to give you downforce?
It's an extractor, it just pulls heat from the engine bay. On our cars that also helps pull air through the radiator.
I think extractors are a good idea on most cars.
This one looks pretty good, but it's overly complicated and takes up too muck space for third gens. The same thing can be done in composites much more easily and even in aluminum should be able to be done without taking up so much Underhood space.
Old 04-29-2014, 09:01 AM

Car: 02wrx/88 rs
Engine: 2.0L turbo/nothing yet!
Transmission: 4eat/waiting on a t56
Axle/Gears: 3.73

I do.

Much or measurable amount? No. It would help make a lower pressure air under the car. Also depends on the way they overlap. How the air over them would pull the hot air out.
Old 04-29-2014, 09:23 AM
Supreme Member

Well, you're wrong.
It would allow an air release for hot air of the engine compartment. In order to decrease pressure under the car (creating downforce) you have to control the air moving under the car with splitter, skirts, etc.
If you read more about the new vette z06 you will note that they describe it as the first American car to have measurable downforce from the factory. Even so, it has to be going pretty fast to do it.
Take a shop vac and put the nozzle straight down on a flat surface. Note that it has lots of "downforce" when sealed to the surface. As soon as you lift it even slightly off the surface, no more downforce. Lots of negative pressure inside the vac tube, but no down force as it only takes a small leak of air to equalize pressure and eliminate the force.
Old 04-29-2014, 11:58 AM

Car: 87 IROC
Engine: 5.3L
Transmission: Jerico
Axle/Gears: Aluminum 8.6 w/ T2R

Originally Posted by stealtht/a
Well, you're wrong.
It would allow an air release for hot air of the engine compartment. In order to decrease pressure under the car (creating downforce) you have to control the air moving under the car with splitter, skirts, etc.
If you read more about the new vette z06 you will note that they describe it as the first American car to have measurable downforce from the factory. Even so, it has to be going pretty fast to do it.
Take a shop vac and put the nozzle straight down on a flat surface. Note that it has lots of "downforce" when sealed to the surface. As soon as you lift it even slightly off the surface, no more downforce. Lots of negative pressure inside the vac tube, but no down force as it only takes a small leak of air to equalize pressure and eliminate the force.
Some of your points are valid but others are not completely true. The vacuum cleaner analogy is mostly true, but as you get away from the ground there is still DF but it is much less. Youtube 'ground effect'.

About hood louvers. The factory cooling system brings air in from the front of the car and exhausts it down to the ground under the car. The most common method to create downforce in race cars is to limit the amount of air that goes under the car and seal the sides; in other words seal off the front with a low air dam or splitter, seal the sides with low skirts and route your cooling system air out of the hood or the sides of the car. Hood louvers allow more air to go out through the hood rather than under the car, therefore creating some down force. Splitters and skirts are additional aids to create DF.

Do I think louvers by themselves are going to create a noticeable difference on an otherwise stock car? Probably not to most people but it could be one of those incremental things. On a car with a splitter or low front air dam and sliding skirts it will probably make a larger improvement. Some rather generic cl numbers are given in some books for different types of engine cooling systems types.

Last edited by BIG_MODS; 04-29-2014 at 12:01 PM.
Old 04-29-2014, 01:15 PM
Supreme Member

Depending on the price I would be interested in a set that would fit the factory openings.
Old 04-29-2014, 08:12 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by BIG_MODS
Some of your points are valid but others are not completely true. The vacuum cleaner analogy is mostly true, but as you get away from the ground there is still DF but it is much less. Youtube 'ground effect'.

About hood louvers. The factory cooling system brings air in from the front of the car and exhausts it down to the ground under the car. The most common method to create downforce in race cars is to limit the amount of air that goes under the car and seal the sides; in other words seal off the front with a low air dam or splitter, seal the sides with low skirts and route your cooling system air out of the hood or the sides of the car. Hood louvers allow more air to go out through the hood rather than under the car, therefore creating some down force. Splitters and skirts are additional aids to create DF.

Do I think louvers by themselves are going to create a noticeable difference on an otherwise stock car? Probably not to most people but it could be one of those incremental things. On a car with a splitter or low front air dam and sliding skirts it will probably make a larger improvement. Some rather generic cl numbers are given in some books for different types of engine cooling systems types.
If it isn't noticeable or measurable it isn't downforce. Yes, the pressure in the engine compartment might decrease slightly (it's still very positive) but if it has no EFFECT or measurable FORCE it isn't ground EFFECT or down FORCE
Old 04-29-2014, 10:19 PM

Car: 87 IROC
Engine: 5.3L
Transmission: Jerico
Axle/Gears: Aluminum 8.6 w/ T2R

Originally Posted by stealtht/a
If it isn't noticeable or measurable it isn't downforce. Yes, the pressure in the engine compartment might decrease slightly (it's still very positive) but if it has no EFFECT or measurable FORCE it isn't ground EFFECT or down FORCE
With good sensors and good repeatable testing I'm pretty sure you could measure a difference.
Old 04-29-2014, 11:25 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by conlinj
Depending on the price I would be interested in a set that would fit the factory openings.
Agreed. Any ball-park prices on these things? I would be very interested in a set. Would he be willing to make them look very similar to the factory louvers? Either way I plan to make mine functional.
Old 05-01-2014, 07:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 88 Trans Am GTA
Engine: 5.1L Gen III
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.70

Just a thought, the base of the windshield is a huge high pressure area on the car. It may be better to not use the last 4" or so if you're putting them in same location as the stock louvers. If you can move them I'd go forward with them until they start just behind the radiator support.
Old 05-08-2014, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by NOSHOWALLGO
Agreed. Any ball-park prices on these things? I would be very interested in a set. Would he be willing to make them look very similar to the factory louvers? Either way I plan to make mine functional.
blakecharles I'm still interested... Could you give an answer to the above questions?
Old 05-15-2014, 02:13 PM

Car: 1989 Iroc Z28 Convertible
Engine: V8 5.0 305 TBI

I would be interested if the price and clearance were right (matching stock).
Old 05-15-2014, 02:47 PM

Thirdgens are awesome cars great fun ti drive sexy to look at but once you get past 120mph the handling isnt too hot. Ive got my 89 formula350 gave my 01 ws6 transam to the wife. The ta handles like a dream at 150mph on curves the formula starts getting scary at 120ish on a perfectly flat straight road.

Adding functional vents is not going to change those issues at speed. At slower speeds functional louvers are a novelty so most folks will think its a cool idea which it is but it serves no real purpose.

When i push the ta up past 120 you can start feeling the car hunkering down and the steering getting a little stiffer and more response to less input.

When you take the ttops off and get around 100-120 you can feel the back end starting to bounce as its losing grip. The faster you go the scarier it gets. Around 130 i can actually feel the rear end popping up and starting to lose control.

Depends on what your calling downforce. But when your car is no longer aerodynamic things go to hell quick.

My advice dont stick things to your car or remove them without careful testing if you plan on going stupid fast.
Old 05-15-2014, 03:22 PM
Supreme Member

Received 367 Likes on 296 Posts
Car: 89 Iroc-z
Engine: 555 BBC Turbo
Transmission: TH400
Axle/Gears: Strange 12 bolt 3.42

I am doing louvers to my cowl hood on the sides of cowl to vent heat, not on cowl itself. These louvers look nice tho in the pics. How much they cost?

My iroc feels fine over 120-140. Havent been over that, just quarter mile runs it feels fine even on bias tires. May see 160's this year. Hope it remains stable but the vents for me are for heat extraction only lol primary concern
Old 05-15-2014, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by JonM
Thirdgens are awesome cars great fun ti drive sexy to look at but once you get past 120mph the handling isnt too hot. Ive got my 89 formula350 gave my 01 ws6 transam to the wife. The ta handles like a dream at 150mph on curves the formula starts getting scary at 120ish on a perfectly flat straight road.

Adding functional vents is not going to change those issues at speed. At slower speeds functional louvers are a novelty so most folks will think its a cool idea which it is but it serves no real purpose.

When i push the ta up past 120 you can start feeling the car hunkering down and the steering getting a little stiffer and more response to less input.

When you take the ttops off and get around 100-120 you can feel the back end starting to bounce as its losing grip. The faster you go the scarier it gets. Around 130 i can actually feel the rear end popping up and starting to lose control.

Depends on what your calling downforce. But when your car is no longer aerodynamic things go to hell quick.

My advice dont stick things to your car or remove them without careful testing if you plan on going stupid fast.
It sounds more like you need nicer shocks & struts. I've been faster than that and my car does not do what your describing.
Old 05-20-2014, 12:39 PM

How much?
Old 06-12-2014, 12:09 AM
Supreme Member

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts
Car: 87 TA clone
Engine: 70/70 Turbo 5.3 LS
Transmission: bullet proof 2004R
Axle/Gears: ford 8.8, 3.55 gears

Originally Posted by blakecharles
Here is a pic of some of his louvers being made

They come as a flat piece of metal (images shown are not the same louvers as posted above, but same concept)

Here they are after being properly bent before installation

How much for a set of these exact ones? I have a 4" cowl hood for a firebird and would love a set of custom hood Louvers like these! If u can give me his contact into I would also appreciate it.

My hood gets very hot bc it has a 521 BBF under it and I've been researched where good extractor can help get the heat out and help cool my engine more.
Old 06-12-2014, 06:55 AM

Car: 1988 IROC Camaro (RHD)
Engine: 350 ci L98 SBC
Transmission: T700
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt BW, Disk, Posi-traction

Estimated cost?
Old 06-14-2014, 03:11 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Car: 87 Formula/ 00 Xtreme
Engine: TPI 305/ v6
Transmission: struggling t-5/ 4l60E
Axle/Gears: 3.08/ 3.23

$100, http://vraptorspeedworks.com/custom-roadster-parts/
Old 06-14-2014, 10:58 PM

Put me down for a set.
Old 10-24-2014, 08:36 PM

Anything ever come of this?I would like a two sets if price was right and they fit a Iroc hood
Old 10-25-2014, 10:45 PM

Car: 83 Firebird Trans Am
Engine: 305 LU5 Crossfire Injection

Depends on price. They do look amazing. Clever to bend two tabs to angle the individual louvers. I also have access to a CNC machine, it wouldn't be horrible to template that, and maybe it could be done with 040 or 060 aircraft aluminum.. Cost on something like that isn't too much other than owning the CNC machine and handling 4x8 aluminum sheets.

That's why I say depends on the price. Regarding needing a bulk order.... How is it not worth it to let the CNC machine cut out one set? He can use any leftover aluminum on the sheet for other projects. It seems the only labor involves bending the individual louvers and de-burring edges.

Last edited by tunatrky; 10-25-2014 at 10:50 PM.
Old 10-27-2014, 10:08 AM

Car: 91 Camaro Z-28 Convertible
Engine: 5.0
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: 2.73

I would like to see an installed set, and am very interested.
Old 11-02-2014, 09:31 AM
Supreme Member

Car: Check The Sig

I'd like to see a tray under the vents much like the new Camaro SS and ZL1 have. There is a tray that allows air to escape up and out from under the hood while making sure water drains away from vital parts.

Like so

Old 11-03-2014, 09:18 AM

Car: 1989 Iroc Z28 Convertible
Engine: V8 5.0 305 TBI

For $100, if it matched the current louvers I would buy. But I need the clearance. My TBI already touches my hood with my K&N Filter top.
Old 11-03-2014, 05:29 PM

If there a link on the web site http://vraptorspeedworks.com/custom-roadster-parts/ to buy a set of these?
Old 12-16-2014, 02:19 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by peterc005
If there a link on the web site http://vraptorspeedworks.com/custom-roadster-parts/ to buy a set of these?
yup, that's the guy. He is really nice. He asked me to send him a set of stock louvers/hood to mock up. It never happened because nobody seemed to be interested.

His louvers are only about $100/set, but the IROC louvers would be a custom design. There is no way that I can guarantee that kind of pricing, but I'm quite sure they would be cheaper if we had more takers.