Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Rust removal + Cardio!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2015, 07:20 AM
Supreme Member

Received 106 Likes on 87 Posts
Car: 1983 Z28
Engine: 385 Fastburn
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: BorgWarner 9-bolt posi, 3.27 gears
Rust removal + Cardio!!

I recently had water get into my car, in a pretty bad way. Had to rip the carpet out, and the rear seats (which had turned green...). Come to find out my storm-proof cover couldn't keep out the 15+ inches of rain that we've had here over the past 2-3 weeks (which I could have guessed).
Anyhow, managed to get her back into a garage spot (thanks to my wonderful wife )

After drying up the water (pooled under the back seats) and checking the floor boards (luckily they didn't rust) I started looking for the culprit of how the water got it. Didn't take long to find out it was from the t-tops. I peeled the weatherstripping back to find a horrid amount of surface rust, my old nemesis. I realized that the weather stripping was not sealed, just stuck in place, and that combined with the car not having air for a few weeks meant that any water that got in couldn't get out, so it tried to eat it's way out.

Got the wire wheel out yesterday and started going to work. After a few minutes of wheelin' away I put my drill down and I hear what sounds like a humming bird flying nearby, I turn around and the spawn of satan himself is making a b-line for me:

Cicada killer, sand hornet, whatever you want to call em. They're about 2-2.5 inches long and hunt and kill cicadas. Cicadas communicate by making vibrating sounds, etc. Very similar to what my wire wheel was doing on the car...so, I would have to wheel - the run - then wheel - repeat. Made it quite interesting, this sucker was huge, and convinced that I was the biggest cicada it'd ever seen lol.

Anyhow, fixed the rust (wheeled it all off), gave it a nice coat of converter/primer, reinstalled the t-bar, and tonight or tomorrow I'll properly install the weather stripping.
Old 07-17-2015, 12:12 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: Rebuilt 350 going in after paint
Transmission: WCT5, 7k & counting behind the 350
Axle/Gears: 4thgen disc rear w/ 3.73 Posi
Re: Rust removal + Cardio!!

That's one huge wasp! I would have had to stop after that first encounter to change my underwear. Glad we don't have those near me. I would have grabbed my daughter's softball bat and had some BP with that sucker
Old 07-17-2015, 12:16 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by 92RS_Ttop
That's one huge wasp! I would have had to stop after that first encounter to change my underwear. Glad we don't have those near me. I would have grabbed my daughter's softball bat and had some BP with that sucker
Ha, yeah, I decided to let it be considering I wasn't going to be using the drill for too long lol. They are quite large.
Old 07-20-2015, 11:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1986 Z 28
Engine: 305

Originally Posted by RedLeader289
I recently had water get into my car, in a pretty bad way. Had to rip the carpet out, and the rear seats (which had turned green...). Come to find out my storm-proof cover couldn't keep out the 15+ inches of rain that we've had here over the past 2-3 weeks (which I could have guessed).
Anyhow, managed to get her back into a garage spot (thanks to my wonderful wife )

After drying up the water (pooled under the back seats) and checking the floor boards (luckily they didn't rust) I started looking for the culprit of how the water got it. Didn't take long to find out it was from the t-tops. I peeled the weatherstripping back to find a horrid amount of surface rust, my old nemesis. I realized that the weather stripping was not sealed, just stuck in place, and that combined with the car not having air for a few weeks meant that any water that got in couldn't get out, so it tried to eat it's way out.

Got the wire wheel out yesterday and started going to work. After a few minutes of wheelin' away I put my drill down and I hear what sounds like a humming bird flying nearby, I turn around and the spawn of satan himself is making a b-line for me:

Cicada killer, sand hornet, whatever you want to call em. They're about 2-2.5 inches long and hunt and kill cicadas. Cicadas communicate by making vibrating sounds, etc. Very similar to what my wire wheel was doing on the car...so, I would have to wheel - the run - then wheel - repeat. Made it quite interesting, this sucker was huge, and convinced that I was the biggest cicada it'd ever seen lol.

Anyhow, fixed the rust (wheeled it all off), gave it a nice coat of converter/primer, reinstalled the t-bar, and tonight or tomorrow I'll properly install the weather stripping.
I had 2 of those messing around last year when i was working on one of my projects . I have never seen those big buggers before and suddenly they just appear ....
Old 07-20-2015, 11:15 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Z-28
I had 2 of those messing around last year when i was working on one of my projects . I have never seen those big buggers before and suddenly they just appear ....
Yeah, their life cycle is kindof like cicadas in that they only appear for a month or two and then hide...somewhere....the rest of the year lol.
Old 07-23-2015, 08:31 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Engine: Carbed 305
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42

Just south of you a few miles. Cicadas are definitely out. Ive never seen one of those before though! Thats hilarious!
Old 07-23-2015, 08:32 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Engine: Carbed 305
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42

FishiN bait? I know nothing beats a good cicada on a hook...lol
Old 07-23-2015, 08:44 AM
Supreme Member

Ha yeah, good bait no doubt. I've actually used wasps as bait before too, works pretty good....though, they have to be high or 'seeing stars' to get them on a hook w/out getting lit up.

Ironically enough these demon hornets aren't very aggressive, just curious. Had one crawling on my leg one day like it was nothing (for it of course, not me LOL).