Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

To paint or not to paint...

Old 08-20-2015, 11:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1982 Z28 Camaro
To paint or not to paint...

Hi y'all 3rd genners!

Been browsing these forums for quite some time, never actually posted till now so hoping for some wise input on my deal.

Backstory: When I was in college a loooong time ago, I owned an 82 Z28 which I subsequently rolled and totaled (hydroplane barrel roll into a snowbank). Ever since, I'd yearned for that car that I lost. A couple years ago, my wife went out and found another 82 Z28 and actually bought it for my birthday. She paid 2K and the car was in less than stellar condition, although a fairly built 350 bored .30 over, comp cam, b&m rachet shifter, WS6 Formula Posi rear end. Fun ride for sure!

Slowly over the last while, I've been fixing up the interior, accessories that would never work, hatch release, power window motors, power door locks, etc - and mostly all from tips and advice given here in thirdgen.org.

The car still has problems, but most notably the body and paint. Actually the body ain't bad, very little rust and a few minor imperfections - however the previous owner did some backyard painting, probably rustoleum on some of the panels, hood, etc. The paint on the nose is cracked to ****, and goes from matte white to glossy mid-panel.

I've been pricing out a decent paint job and it looks like I'll be in it for about 1K min to 2K. I'd also considered taking on a project this fall/winter and looking at painting it myself given I have a shop and space to do it - just not the experience and I'm afraid to eff it up since I'm totally new to it.

I recently attended the All Camaro show in Issaquah, WA at XXX Root Beer (https://i.imgur.com/6FGtVqY.jpg) and was pretty stoked to see some great 3rd gens out in style and it has me asking myself - is it worth it to paint? Will it increase the value of the car to a potential buyer if I decide to sell next year to finance a different car, something more stock and with fewer miles...

And finally, any other WA state 3rd genners out there?

Thanks, and rock on!

Pic:
https://i.imgur.com/x7WD6dK.jpg

Old 08-20-2015, 01:17 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1998 Camaro Z28
Engine: 6.0L
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Re: To paint or not to paint...

You are going to raise the value if it's painted, how much all depends on the market. You are also going to broaden the list of potential buyers if it's painted. More people are going to want to buy a car already painted and not have to do it themselves. If you can get it done $1-2K, that sounds pretty good, I would say pull the trigger on it.
Old 08-20-2015, 03:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1984 F41 Camaro
Engine: LC1 V6 2.8L
Transmission: 4 Speed Auto
Axle/Gears: 3.23

i would say go ahead and paint it, I'm getting mine painted soon and its not even close to being as rough as yours, mine is just old and thin, so after all the rust work is done on my car, ill be preping her for paint
Old 08-20-2015, 05:31 PM

Cool, thanks. Hoping to get it done for around 1K if possible. Never had a car painted before so I need to shop around some. Definitely not headed toward a Maaco...
Old 08-22-2015, 08:12 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 89 Trans am
Engine: 5.7 TPI

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but you're not going to find anything better than maaco for $1000. The autobody labor rate by me is $56/hour, 1000/56 = about 18 hours of paint time, and auto body techs don't work work at 100% so I'd figure that would be around 10 hours of actual work. Its going to take a lot more hours for a decent paint job. Also the cost of paint is pretty steep. When I painted my Trans am I painted it with PPG and the paint cost cost over a thousand. I painted another complete car with Starting Line which is a budget brand and even that cost 800-900.

A good paint job starts at $5000 in my opinion and you'll never make a lot of that back when you sell it. I don't like Maaco at all but if your expectations aren't too high that might be you're best bet.
Old 08-22-2015, 09:03 AM

Car: 89 GTA
Transmission: 700R4

Originally Posted by ZsTransAm
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but you're not going to find anything better than maaco for $1000. The autobody labor rate by me is $56/hour, 1000/56 = about 18 hours of paint time, and auto body techs don't work work at 100% so I'd figure that would be around 10 hours of actual work. Its going to take a lot more hours for a decent paint job. Also the cost of paint is pretty steep. When I painted my Trans am I painted it with PPG and the paint cost cost over a thousand. I painted another complete car with Starting Line which is a budget brand and even that cost 800-900.

A good paint job starts at $5000 in my opinion and you'll never make a lot of that back when you sell it. I don't like Maaco at all but if your expectations aren't too high that might be you're best bet.
$5000 for a paint job? What a rip off! You can paint an entire house for less than that. Why does a car cost more than a house? I feel todays auto body and auto mechanics are such a rip off when it comes to work of that nature.
Old 08-22-2015, 09:17 AM

Is that $5000 factoring in prep work and body work as well? Cause if its just a roll in and spray it on I can't see it costing so much. $1000 in total for paint... Okay. But $4000 in labor to put it on?
Old 08-22-2015, 11:27 AM
naf
Supreme Member

Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts
Car: 1987 SC/1985 TA
Engine: 350/vortec/fitech
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.27 9-bolt

I would walk away from the sale of a 30 year old car that had a fresh paint job, likely run.

Fresh paint jobs on older cars are usually slapped on as cheaply as possible in order to sell it, or -more likely- to hide serious issues.

If you want to paint it to enjoy it, do some research, read a book or two, and decide for yourself how you want to go. A 2K single stage is an easy spray for a beginner, mistakes can be fixed and the products aren't uber $.

The work though, is always in the prep...You don't have to sand a house down with a long board, apply filler, .....there's just too much to say. If you don't already know I can't help you.
Old 08-22-2015, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by naf
I would walk away from the sale of a 30 year old car that had a fresh paint job, likely run.

Fresh paint jobs on older cars are usually slapped on as cheaply as possible in order to sell it, or -more likely- to hide serious issues.

If you want to paint it to enjoy it, do some research, read a book or two, and decide for yourself how you want to go. A 2K single stage is an easy spray for a beginner, mistakes can be fixed and the products aren't uber $.

The work though, is always in the prep...You don't have to sand a house down with a long board, apply filler, .....there's just too much to say. If you don't already know I can't help you.
It's what I was saying. It is probably the prep work that makes it so expensive. No point in applying paint if the body is as twisted as a silly straw. Now I DO want to eventually get my car painted, but I need a paint job that will stand up to all weather environments minus salt. I don't have a garage to store my car in so it's exposed to the elements for the most part. Whats a good paint job to get in my case? A 5k job sounds like a garage queen/weekend/sunny day driver. My car is my daily driver as I just love to drive the car.
Old 08-22-2015, 12:06 PM

Car: 1984 F41 Camaro
Engine: LC1 V6 2.8L
Transmission: 4 Speed Auto
Axle/Gears: 3.23

My advice is do all the body work yourself, then paint it yourself if you feel up to it, that's the cheapest way possible, if you don't feel up to shooting it yourself then just talk to some local body shops, i did and i actually know the guy at one near me he said he would shoot it for 500 dollars..... its a perk to know people, but just try to do everything yourself, my paint job will cost about 750 and 850 dollars with all materials and work included(not including my labor hours since I'm doing the body work myself)
Old 08-22-2015, 12:54 PM
Supreme Member

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts
Car: 84 Z28
Engine: 383 Stroker

Originally Posted by bryan623
$5000 for a paint job? What a rip off! You can paint an entire house for less than that. Why does a car cost more than a house? I feel todays auto body and auto mechanics are such a rip off when it comes to work of that nature.

OMG, I just spit coffee all over my computer. This is the funniest shitt I've read in a long time. Its how it is written. Please, dont take offence. Compared to a house!! LOL

I will have close to 9k into my paint/autobody bill. Granted I had the whole t-top bar replaced as well as part of the rear quarter panel. (Wanted no filler)
I was lucky, car came from Mexico (i think, found a DL under back seat) and is rust free. Epoxy primer, wet sanded, and sikkens red paint. I bet I have 5-6k in just product. The rest goes to the man. And this was with me helping. I stripped the car, and sanded to bare metal at my shop using my tools.

Those paint jobs you see on tv, (not the week long builds) but Kindig or like that, like the 37 ford they did, 12 coats of candy red..... you are talking over 20k I bet..

If you have the tools, space, you can fab up a booth and spray it yourself for pretty cheap if you shop around. Study up.

on the other hand, I know, I know, Macco isnt as bad as ppl say. If you prep the car/get it ready, Id say for the money and depending on what you want...Its not toooooo bad.............. (ouch)

-D
Old 08-22-2015, 01:32 PM

Macco is a toss up. Sometimes you get a decent paint job. While others... well not so much. And I will say $5k is quite a lot for a paint job. Especially one I need. An all weather (not garage queen) paint job. I don't want an amazing paint job. More like a factory off the line job. The stuff on my car is 25+ years old and it looks 'decent' though faded and lacking the clear coat on the top. That's what I would like. Just something that will hold up to the weather minus salt (it doesnt get driven in the winter snow or salt).
Old 08-22-2015, 02:33 PM
Supreme Member

If you do the prep, cause thats 90% of a paint job, and have macco shoot it, I think you will be happy.

Do you have a tech school by you? If they offer an auto body program, you may be able to have them do it... My car was faded big time, so I had them rubbing compound and buff it out. Looked like a different car. From orange to red!!

Thats another option you could try. Get a buffer and some rubbing compound and get to work. It will take the oxidization and gunk off the paint. You will need to wax/buff after to seal/protect again.
Old 08-23-2015, 09:44 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 89 Trans am

Because painting a car isn't anything like painting a house. Thats like comparing painting a car to dental work. The reason it costs so much is because 1, its way more work than people think it is and 2, like dental work its not something normal people can do themselves. There is no such thing as a 'roll in and spray' paint job, most of the time spent on the job is before it ever gets to the booth. I painted an almost complete last week, everything but the bumpers (off the car) and one door and 1 quarter panel. It took my prepper 5 hours just to tape it up for paint.

As for whats involved in a standard $5,000 paint job on an older car like this - complete disassembly fixing any imperfections such as scratches, chips, and very minor dents that can be fixed without filler. Sanding the clear off any delaminated panels (often a problem with the 3rd gens), 3 coats of primer where necessary, blocking all primer, da and scuff the rest, taping, 1 coat of plastic adhesion promoter where necessary, 1 coat of etch primer where necessary, 1 coat of sealer, 2-7 coats of base depending on color and quality of paint, 2 coats of clearcoat, baking, sanding and buffing out any dirt nibs, reassembly, and cleaning for delivery. And no, that might not a car show winning paint job but no quality shop is letting a car out the door that doesn't look just about the same as a from the factory paint job.

If I could just roll it in and spray it white, roll it back out and give it to you for $5000 ... Well by now I'd own a Ferrari instead of a 3rd gen

Last edited by ZsTransAm; 08-23-2015 at 09:49 AM.
Old 08-23-2015, 01:05 PM

Well I'm not considering just slapping on a cheap paint job to hide imperfections or to dupe any future buyers. I just want the car to look good and feel good about the appearance. It's not a daily driver and I only take it out on the weekends in the summer. It is garaged throughout the year and hasn't seen a drop of rain in 5 years - not because it's got a 5k paint job on it but because I love and appreciate what this 3rd gen symbolizes to me.

Honestly most of the paint I could live with the imperfections that exist and still feel okay about it. I just want to make her as good as she can be within my budget and ability with a future thought towards recouping some of the time and money I put in to a potential buyer down the road.

I've done some reading, research, talked to a couple local shops, the local auto body supply shop and even found a local tech school with an auto body program - trying to decide the best way to approach this.

5k for a paint job just isn't going to happen for me. I'm willing to do the prep work beforehand over the winter months in my garage to help with cost but again - I'm worried I'll mess it up having never done work like this before.

The worst part of the existing paint is the nose, cracked, peeling and flaking off.

I was thinking of stripping the paint just from the nose, prepping and doing a respray myself sort of as a test run. No need for uber pricey PPG, just a simple budget brand paint to see what I'm getting myself into.... Can't be worse than what I've got currently, right?
Old 08-23-2015, 01:44 PM

Not much you can do to fix thew cracks other than replace. Those old 3rd gen bumpers are just crappy rubber and after 25+ years of sun and weather they just eventually swell and crack or rip. My rear spoiler was the same thing.
Old 08-23-2015, 06:03 PM

Just found an 82-84 front bumper cover, NOS, never installed, looks to brand new for $100. May pick it up to do some test painting on...
Old 08-23-2015, 10:11 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by neekolzun
Just found an 82-84 front bumper cover, NOS, never installed, looks to brand new for $100. May pick it up to do some test painting on...
JUMP ALL OVER THAT!!! If you dont tell me and i will!! Your bumper can be fixed. You just gotta sand all the way through to the plastic and even into the plastic. If you dont, It will crack again in due time.

I think, my honest opinion, from reading your posts, you seem like a calm person. I think you are the type who would have fun painting/learning how to paint. Only down side is some big purchases. Compressor/2 stage, a in line separator for water/dirt and a spray gun. Then paint and materials. But all of these things dont need to be top of the line. unless you use it everyday.

Yep, I think you should paint it. Do a search here/youtube. lots of info and heck, lots of first timers paint jobs look damn good to me. You can sand/buff out imperfections so as long as the paint lays down and flows, you will be fine.

You can do it!

-D
Old 08-23-2015, 10:12 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by neekolzun
Practice on something else, neighbors car/cat. not a nos 84 bumper
Old 08-24-2015, 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by -=Z28=-
Practice on something else, neighbors car/cat. not a nos 84 bumper
Lol well I'd have to catch the cat before I paint it. What would you suggest practicing on? Btw I just picked up the nos bumper, great shape, brand new, 80 bucks.
Old 08-24-2015, 12:40 AM

JUMP ALL OVER THAT!!! If you dont tell me and i will!! Your bumper can be fixed. You just gotta sand all the way through to the plastic and even into the plastic. If you dont, It will crack again in due time.

I think, my honest opinion, from reading your posts, you seem like a calm person. I think you are the type who would have fun painting/learning how to paint. Only down side is some big purchases. Compressor/2 stage, a in line separator for water/dirt and a spray gun. Then paint and materials. But all of these things dont need to be top of the line. unless you use it everyday.

Yep, I think you should paint it. Do a search here/youtube. lots of info and heck, lots of first timers paint jobs look damn good to me. You can sand/buff out imperfections so as long as the paint lays down and flows, you will be fine.

You can do it!

-D
Thanks for the encouragement! I do think it would be something I'd derive a lot of pleasure from, learning something new and hopefully having a final product I can be proud of.

In way of tools, that'll be a first step. Something better than a portable baby compressor - it gives me a reason to upgrade the garage at the very least. I think this'll be a pretty awesome project for the fall/winter months.

Anyone who has done this type of work before, feel free to suggest some gear, hvlp guns, etc.
Old 08-24-2015, 03:02 AM
Supreme Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1989 Iroc-Z Camaro
Engine: TBI,5.0
Transmission: Automatic 700R4
Axle/Gears: Eaton Posi,3.42,LPW Ultimate Cover

I think trying it yourself with out having a real painter there to show you the ropes will test your resolve. If you try it then I wish you well.

I'm not trying to gloat, because a I worked my a-- off doing it ,but here's what saving for over two years looks like. When it comes to prep and quality materials being used with the right painter it cost money . Here's what my paint job looks like and why it cost so much. It is what you should expect from the shop. Nothing less.

=
https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/body/543541-prep-paint-photos.html

Last edited by Ron U.S.M.C.; 08-24-2015 at 03:36 AM.
Old 08-24-2015, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Ron U.S.M.C.
I think trying it yourself with out having a real painter there to show you the ropes will test your resolve. If you try it then I wish you well.

I'm not trying to gloat, because a I worked my a-- off doing it ,but here's what saving for over two years looks like. When it comes to prep and quality materials being used with the right painter it cost money . Here's what my paint job looks like and why it cost so much. It is what you should expect from the shop. Nothing less.

=
https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/body/543541-prep-paint-photos.html

That is a gorgeous paint job. And it has seriously held up well over time.

I agree having someone experienced around to help would definitely be beneficial, but I don't know any body/paint guys to enlist to assist, nor could I justify dropping 3k on a car that's not my daily driver (family chuckster Dodge Journey gets that honor).

I'm more likely to start small with addressing the shitty bumpers as a litmus test towards my resolve and ability.

Trust me though, if I had an extra few grand to throw at her, I'd be proud to show off such a pristine job as yours. Nicely done!
Old 08-24-2015, 12:19 PM

I too am interested in painting my car myself, but the What air compressor to get?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NorthStar-Belt-Drive-Single-Stage-Portable-Air-Compressor-2-HP-20Gal-Hor-5-5-CFM-/331632842575?hash=item4d36db974f
Does this one look reasonable? I am trying to keeps costs down because I don't want to spend a fortune on it.
Old 08-24-2015, 12:42 PM

Car: 87 IROC
Engine: LT1
Axle/Gears: LS1 10bolt w/ 3.73

having done this myself just recently, i can say there is no greater feeling than being complimented on your work and having strangers ask you to paint their car. however i will say its alot of work, like a lot a lot. your fingertips will never the same after all the sanding. BUT, it is some of the most rewarding work I have done on my car. talk to the paint supply houses and tell them what you are trying to do, they will help you out, recommend paints, systems etc. Be patient and work slow.

I used the Standox system when i painted mine. One of the paint shops recommended it to me because of the clear coat. It went on smooth, wet sanded and buffed out great.

I was lucky as my dad has painted cars before and had the tools. We did it at his house in the garage, dropped plastic from the ceiling to make a booth and hooked up a large exhaust fan. This was after too many hours sanding the body, and mine was REALLY straight to begin with.

Here is my thread, feel free to ask any questions if you want.
https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/memb...e-my-87-a.html

Good luck!
Old 08-24-2015, 12:45 PM
Supreme Member

yes and no. you dont have enough volume with that small tank. If you had a 100gal air tank that you could put in line with that compressor you may have enough.

Back to the original question, Search around. There are many first timers that have come out with a nice job. 100x better than what they had. Any body can paint a car. the key is to have enough paint/air ratio so the paint lays flat/wet on the panel. Too much air/wrong tip/too thin of mix, and it will dry/set up in the air, causing a whole list of problems. Even if you get runs, you can wet sand them out.

Honestly, you wont have/get as nice a job as above doing it yourself unless you practice for years and know everything about what you are doing. But, if you study, practice spraying on a dif car, and get your hand/arm movement down/control, you would be surprised at the outcome. Remember 90% is prep/dents/sanding,ect 5% is the weather and 5% is the guy spraying...
Old 08-24-2015, 12:50 PM
Supreme Member

here you go. check this thread out.

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/memb...ml#post5946660
Old 08-24-2015, 01:27 PM

That's really an awesome job and a fantastic build. You can definitely tell you put some serious hours into that body. If I had all the required tools (guns, compressor, DA, etc), then I'd jump on the project for sure. It'll take me some time to research and get everything I need to start up, so going slow isn't an issue for me.

Never heard of the Standox system, but I'm becoming aware there is a great variety of methods/methodologies when it comes to paint.

Actually my neighbor has an older 90s GMC truck with some oxidation on his hood, he mentioned the other day taking that on as a small project - might be a good 'in' to get some practice in. Plus he has a monster 60 gallon compressor for use.

No doubt, it's a somewhat daunting idea to undertake such a massive project but seeing the sort of results on your first-timer job really makes me think I could do it... maybe not quite as pretty as yours, but at least something nice to look at from 10 ft lol
Old 08-24-2015, 01:49 PM

Car: 87 IROC
Engine: LT1
Axle/Gears: LS1 10bolt w/ 3.73

Thanks! Practice does make perfect. its not the first car i have prepped, just the first i have painted. But you watch lots of shows, youtube etc and you start to get an idea of what you are up against.

Most of what I sanded was by hand, or with a palm sander. simple homedepot version, and then different lengths blocks. Just lots of time.

And some advice i got that I didnt listen to because im stubborn, the lighter the color the easier it is to paint, lighter colors without metallic will hide lots of sins. the darker or more metallic you go the more you are going to see any imperfections.

When it comes to tools, just make sure everything works with each other, compare the gun SCFM ratings to the compressor. 60gal might be on the low side if you end up with a newer style HVLP gun, but then your technique comes into play. You can probably use a smaller compressor if you are only going to spray a panel at a time, rather than making lots of long runs.

And primer is good practice as well, you start to get a feel for how to move the gun, how move your body, its really all in your form. And since its primer most of it gets sanded away.
Old 08-24-2015, 02:01 PM

yes and no. you dont have enough volume with that small tank. If you had a 100gal air tank that you could put in line with that compressor you may have enough.

Back to the original question, Search around. There are many first timers that have come out with a nice job. 100x better than what they had. Any body can paint a car. the key is to have enough paint/air ratio so the paint lays flat/wet on the panel. Too much air/wrong tip/too thin of mix, and it will dry/set up in the air, causing a whole list of problems. Even if you get runs, you can wet sand them out.

Honestly, you wont have/get as nice a job as above doing it yourself unless you practice for years and know everything about what you are doing. But, if you study, practice spraying on a dif car, and get your hand/arm movement down/control, you would be surprised at the outcome. Remember 90% is prep/dents/sanding,ect 5% is the weather and 5% is the guy spraying...
I am not gonna drop a large amount of cash on a compressor for a single paint job. That's a waste of money... Oh well looks like I'll just do the sanding and send it to a shop for painting.
Old 08-24-2015, 04:21 PM
Supreme Member

I am not gonna drop a large amount of cash on a compressor for a single paint job. That's a waste of money... Oh well looks like I'll just do the sanding and send it to a shop for painting.
you can get/rent/borrow just the 100 gal tank, and use that smaller compressor to fill it. If you do panel by panel and not long runs with the gun, you may be able to do it. But once that compressor turns on, your about out of good strong air.

But yeah, I hear ya man. It can be spendy. A option is to get an electric DA. that way you only need air for spraying...
Old 08-24-2015, 04:38 PM

I do have an electric orbital sander I use now for sanding. i may upgrade my compressor, but my main problem stopping me from painting is I don't have a garage to put the car in and I know its a terrible idea to paint a car outside. Especially in my case as I live right on a highway.
Old 08-24-2015, 04:59 PM
Supreme Member

make a giant poly booth. 2 box fans with furnace filters taped to em. Hose the ground with water to knock dust down and out of the air. There are many tricks. Nothing compared to a booth but we gotta work with what we got right?!