Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Paint subframe

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2015, 06:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird Formula
Engine: 383 Stealth Ram
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.73 9 bolt Posi
Paint subframe

Hi Guys,

I recently removed my subframe and have been doing a lot of research about painting. I know for a car, painting outside is generally a bad idea due to wind, dust, debris, etc. However, is it possible to paint the subframe outside with reasonable results? Ultimately, I'm looking at making a DIY paint booth in my garage but the issue with ventilation makes me nervous.

Any advice on this? I plan on using the 2k chassis paint kit from Eastwood with a new HVLP paint gun.

Thanks!
Old 11-24-2015, 10:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91 Z28
Engine: 350 TPI
Axle/Gears: Stock
Re: Paint subframe

Knock yourself out. It'll be fine.
Old 11-24-2015, 06:03 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1985 Trans Am T-Top
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: T-5 5 Speed
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi 1LE 10 bolt

I do a lot of outside painting. Just have to be aware of the factors you mentioned and be willing/able to put off paining until conditions are favorable. It doesn't matter as much on parts you won't see. Humidity is always the most important factor, especially when priming bare metal.
For chassis painting you will want to get it as high off the ground as you can. Most dust contamination comes from the debris your gun blows around.
Old 11-24-2015, 09:15 PM
Supreme Member

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28 Vert
Engine: 383 single plane efi
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 8.8 with 3.73s

If you're taking the time to take the underbody clean and prepped I would skip the Eastwood products as most are single component products. Instead go with an epoxy primer, urethane primer and then a single stage paint. You can use a roller or brush and they will look fine, or use an hvlp gun and get better results but no one would probably see it is the down side. If the car is fair weather only there is no need for undercoating or whatever thick black paint you can name. Go with the body color.
Old 11-24-2015, 11:35 PM
Supreme Member

Received 176 Likes on 135 Posts
Car: 90 Formula / T-tops
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: MD8

I'm sure if you google around, you'll find home made paint booths are not hard to build if you have a few wood working skills and can spring for a few exhaust fans. Be sure to buy a 3M respirator. They are relatively cheap and work well, much less expensive than having to pay the neighbors for over spray. Keep your eyes protected with googles!
Old 11-25-2015, 08:28 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by LiquidBlue
I'm sure if you google around, you'll find home made paint booths are not hard to build if you have a few wood working skills and can spring for a few exhaust fans. Be sure to buy a 3M respirator. They are relatively cheap and work well, much less expensive than having to pay the neighbors for over spray. Keep your eyes protected with googles!
Not at all, depending on your skills and tools either pvc pipe or 2x4 and 2x2. Then just add on the plastic cover. Easily done for under $50. Just a tip, and this is a good one, weight the structure down to prevent it from sliding or tipping in the wind. You could even use the car's wheels to weigh the structure down.
Old 11-25-2015, 08:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird Formula
Engine: 383 Stealth Ram
Axle/Gears: 3.73 9 bolt Posi

Thanks for the info guys!

Originally Posted by Tibo
Not at all, depending on your skills and tools either pvc pipe or 2x4 and 2x2. Then just add on the plastic cover. Easily done for under $50. Just a tip, and this is a good one, weight the structure down to prevent it from sliding or tipping in the wind. You could even use the car's wheels to weigh the structure down.
I've been reading articles about making garage paint booths out of 2x4's and PVC... it seems fairly easy to do and cheap but I've also read some pretty scary comments about using a regular box fan for ventilation (fires, explosions, etc). Any thoughts on this?
Old 11-25-2015, 09:54 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by formula_novice
Thanks for the info guys!

I've been reading articles about making garage paint booths out of 2x4's and PVC... it seems fairly easy to do and cheap but I've also read some pretty scary comments about using a regular box fan for ventilation (fires, explosions, etc). Any thoughts on this?
Put a filter from a home heater /ac system in front of the fan and that will significantly bring down any risk. The thought is you could have the fan that has an exposed spark and if there is enough flammable vapor in the air it could ignite. Could just put a filter on all four sides of the structure with out a fan and wear a good respirator. I'm doing that, plus I work at a hospital so I'll borrow an Oxygen tank to use also.