Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Rear underside of drivers fender piece of metal??

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 02:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 Camaro RS
Engine: 2.8 V6 TPI
Transmission: Stock 700R4 Automatic
Axle/Gears: Stock GU6 3.42
Rear underside of drivers fender piece of metal??

Okay I would post a picture myself, but I can't.
On my current 89 RS, the drivers fender is I guess just bad(GFX connector completely rusted out, someone tried to hammer out a dent on the fender etc). And I have this replacement, I'm sure it'll fit and its rust free(except for surface rust) but there's one thing I'm not certain about, there's a little piece of metal(?) attached to the bottom of it near the rear and It looks like it shouldn't be there and/or its in a little rough shape and I'm wondering if anyone has a picture(s) of this so I can compare, and see what it's really supposed to look like. Or if anyone knows what I'm talking about and can tell me what it is.
just to clarify this is a replacement fender that I have that was originally off a parts car.
TL;DR: Could anyone post pics of a drivers fender they own/have owned, just the bottom of the rear half of it, is there a small piece of metal held on by a large rivet?
Fender isn't on the car of course.
Old 02-09-2016, 02:40 PM
Supreme Member

Received 316 Likes on 259 Posts
Car: 89RS vert
Engine: Erod
Transmission: 4L65e
Axle/Gears: BW, 3.27
Re: Rear underside of drivers fender piece of metal??

Sounds like the brace that butts up against the bottom of the Rocker panel.A 10mm bolt holds the two together.
Old 02-10-2016, 12:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: three oh five
Transmission: 700 argh 4
Re: Rear underside of drivers fender piece of metal??

Originally Posted by the_stig1
Okay I would post a picture myself, but I can't.
On my current 89 RS, the drivers fender is I guess just bad(GFX connector completely rusted out, someone tried to hammer out a dent on the fender etc). And I have this replacement, I'm sure it'll fit and its rust free(except for surface rust) but there's one thing I'm not certain about, there's a little piece of metal(?) attached to the bottom of it near the rear and It looks like it shouldn't be there and/or its in a little rough shape and I'm wondering if anyone has a picture(s) of this so I can compare, and see what it's really supposed to look like. Or if anyone knows what I'm talking about and can tell me what it is.
just to clarify this is a replacement fender that I have that was originally off a parts car.
TL;DR: Could anyone post pics of a drivers fender they own/have owned, just the bottom of the rear half of it, is there a small piece of metal held on by a large rivet?
Fender isn't on the car of course.
there was another post on here a week or so back with some pictures but it sounds to me like you are dealing with what most of us have had to and someone has jacked the car up improperly, odds are you are seeing the bottom side of the area where the bolt goes into and you will need to bend that back down so you can access the bolt head. the fenders are purely bolted on so if you can unbolt it id bet money the bottom flange is just bent over.......