Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

a few simple questions from someone who is not a body guy

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 01:23 PM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 86 Camaro
Engine: 355- hopefully a 5.3 this summer
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.42
a few simple questions from someone who is not a body guy

last weekend, i got a nose and all the ground effects from an 89 RS to put on my 86 base coupe. the guy pulled everything off the car and we met halfway, so i don't know how everything is supposed to bolt to the body. he gave me a ziploc baggie full of assorted bolts, nuts, and washers but i don't know where everything goes. some pics of everything would be helpful.

i got the nose and front airdam on the car, which was pretty straight forward. but in the process, i found out that the fiberglass piece that holds the headlights was missing 3 of the 4 studs that go thru the fenders so it's really not held together properly at those points. if i knew what those studs were called, i could get some but the guys at the parts stores gave me a blank stare when i asked about them.. i will need to JB Weld or epoxy them into place once i get some, but that's easy to do.

last question: why are there 4 or 5 metal tabs on the back side of the bottom center of the airdam? one looks like it got bent in the process of taking it apart, but as far as i can tell they don't really do anything..
Old 07-22-2016, 04:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC-Z
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 4th gen rear with 3.42
Re: a few simple questions from someone who is not a body guy

how about some pictures?
Old 07-22-2016, 05:31 PM

Car: '84 Firebird TA & '87 Camaro LT
Engine: 350 V-8 & V-6
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23 & 3.42

IIRC those studs screw into the fiberglass light bar. I was able to use a vice-grip and unscrew them from a broken bar to put in the replacement that was missing 1-2 studs. You should be able to take them out of the original bar on your '86 and use those.
Old 07-22-2016, 07:07 PM
Supreme Member

i reused the original bar, i only got a different bumper cover.

as far as screwing the new studs in, that's not gonna happen. they must have spun and twisted out when someone else took the front end of my car apart sometime in the last 30 years... if i knew what those studs were called, i could order more from somewhere. looked on a few resto sites and no one has them listed, tried teh googles but i didn't find anything like what i was looking for.
Old 07-22-2016, 09:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 83 Z28, 87 442 (Sold)
Engine: 5.0, 5.7,
Transmission: 4 Speed autos

Pretty sure that they were never sold by GM separate from the "light bar" also sometimes called a header panel. They have a machined thread that goes through the urethane bumper cover, through the fender and attached with a 10mm bolt.

Your only hope is a wrecker. or a member here. If you find a thirdgen wreck you need to remove the header panel, the bumper cover, and then they can be removed with using a "double nut" process.

On a Camaro there are 10 of these weird studs 4 on each side and 2 in middle.

If yours are stripped you are likely better off trying to find a complete light bar then trying to swap these over, they were not designed to be removed. If you decide to swap, glue them in with the best automotive or marine grade epoxy that you can find.
Old 07-23-2016, 01:07 AM
Supreme Member

i know what i need to do to fix it- i've done it a few times over my 27 years of playing with cars and once on an old John Deere lawn tractor hood, but i've always had the stud that needed to put back into the hole- i just need to know what the studs are called so i can source some new ones. i know someone makes them, because pretty much every car company still uses them to hold fiberglass spoilers and what not to their cars and they have to be buying them from someone.

hell, it would help just to know what the goofy threads are called that go into the fiberglass. the threads are regular 6mmX1 on the side that pokes thru the fender, but what is the name for the threads on the other end of the stud??