Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Is this rust fixable enough to install a roll cage?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 05:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is this rust fixable enough to install a roll cage?

Hi,

I picked up a $650 86 z28 from someone who knew nothing about the vehicle, to turn it into a drag car. I started taking it apart and investigating.

Good news: It has a fairly new TH400 transmission, easily worth more than the $650 I paid for the whole car.

Bad new: It does have a decent amount of rust.

My question is this: I need to put a roll cage in this car, am I better off fixing this rust or getting a whole new clean car entirely? If I can get a clean 4th gen with a blown v6 for $500 should I do that and scrap this third gen? Or can I fix it enough to get a 6 point cage into it.
Attached Thumbnails Is this rust fixable enough to install a roll cage?-img_1512.jpg   Is this rust fixable enough to install a roll cage?-img_1517.jpg   Is this rust fixable enough to install a roll cage?-img_1516.jpg   Is this rust fixable enough to install a roll cage?-img_1542.jpg   Is this rust fixable enough to install a roll cage?-img_1560.jpg  

Old 12-29-2016, 06:37 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts
Re: Is this rust fixable enough to install a roll cage?

Why wouldn't you fix it? Subframe connectors and potentially some reinforcement of the rear suspension would more than make up for any loss of structural integrity from the floor pan being rusted. What does the rest of the car look like? Sure, the floor is structural but it's not nearly as important as the front and rear subframes, strut towers, etc.
Old 12-29-2016, 06:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm concerned that I will not be able to safely install a roll cage in this vehicle considering the rust damage to areas that the roll cage should be mounting to. Also considering the effort it would take to fix I might be better off buying a beat up 4th gen v6 and starting there for a drag build
Old 12-29-2016, 07:41 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts

The floor pans are 90% cosmetic. They're weak enough you can take dents out of them by standing on them. If the floor pans are all your cage is mounted to, it would punch through the floor pan if it was ever actually needed.

What matters is the structure on the other side of the floor pan. Your cage should mount to the same structural members as the car's suspension. Inspect the subframes, reinforce as necessary, and add subframe connectors. Weld your cage to the structure of the car and the subframe connectors.
Old 12-30-2016, 07:29 AM
Supreme Member

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Car: 88 IROC
Engine: 97 5.7 Vortec LT4 hotcam
Transmission: 700 r4
Axle/Gears: 3.73

Its fine. Install good subframe connectors, UMI square style work best. Then get some square tubing and tie into the connector and the rocker. Use that to tie the cage into. Then just put floor back over it. Thats basically what I done with my first circle car.

Name:  DSC02775_zpslarnq7l1.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  77.6 KB

We werent allowed to run connectors. But this way is much stronger then just plating the floor.