Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

window shaking/window felt

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2017, 12:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
window shaking/window felt

I HAVE AN 90 RS CAMARO THE WINDOW IS SHAKING ALOT WHILE DRIVING ON THE PASSENGER SIDE WAS TOLD IT WAS THE FELT THAT NEEDED TO BE REPLACED I HAVE AN OLD RS DRIVERS DOOR WAS WONDERING IF THE DRIVERS FELT WOULD FIT ON THE PASSENGER SIDE??????????
Old 01-07-2017, 03:56 PM
Supreme Member

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28 Vert
Engine: 383 single plane efi
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 8.8 with 3.73s
Re: window shaking/window felt

Originally Posted by sedricklee
I HAVE AN 90 RS CAMARO THE WINDOW IS SHAKING ALOT WHILE DRIVING ON THE PASSENGER SIDE WAS TOLD IT WAS THE FELT THAT NEEDED TO BE REPLACED I HAVE AN OLD RS DRIVERS DOOR WAS WONDERING IF THE DRIVERS FELT WOULD FIT ON THE PASSENGER SIDE??????????
Is it shaking while going up/down or just while it is still and you are driving?
If it is shaking while the motor is moving it the problem is probably with the rollers or the guides. The rollers (little wheels) that are attached to the window that go inside the guides (which are attached to the door) are made of a hard plastic and can break apart leaving you with a roller that is any shape but round. If that happens the window can drag and exhibit a jerking or shaking motion. If the problem is the window shaking while the window isn't going up or down then the problem is most likely one or both of the tabs at the top of the door coming loose or just being out of position. The tabs are just metal tabs with a pad of felt on the window side They are on the inside (cabin side) of the window and are supposed to keep pressure on the window to keep it against the outer felt. If those are loose the window can shake back and fourth.
Old 05-05-2019, 10:51 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I am having this issue. If the window is closed, it does not seem to rattle. If it is halfway open, it is not resting on the chassis weatherstrip, and it rattles pretty bad when going over any kind of bumps. I can see some play in the window glass if I gently push on it or pull on it. It's as if someone used to slam the door really hard while having the window down. Something is definitely loose or broken. I hope it's just loose and I can tighten it. I'd hate to take the door panels off and find a **** storm of broken rollers and guides. The motor seems to work fine and the window does go up and down smoothly otherwise. I lifted up on the door shell itself and it does not seem to be loose at the hinges at all. I hope your remedy is all I need! I like working on the car but i worry that I'll break something that they dont make parts for anymore.
Old 05-05-2019, 11:56 PM
Supreme Member

Received 348 Likes on 263 Posts
Car: 1984 Camaro Berlinetta
Engine: LT1
Transmission: T56 6-speed
Axle/Gears: 4.11 LS1 Rear End

The only way to KNOW what's going on is to remove the door panel. There are 2 window guide "felts", there's internal "tracks" for the rollers to travel thru, the front window black "Filler" + it's seal, and most important,...... the inner and outer window weather-stripping. They all help hold the window firm/stable at various points of the windows range of travel. The only way to inspect & assess what might need adjustment and what needs to be replaced/repaired is to remove the door panel. So,........................

IMO: If your weather stripping is bad; buy replacement window weatherstripping. Since thew door panel has gotta' come off anyway fixing the weather stripping will directly impact the problem and you can make a list of any bad 'hard to find' parts you might find while the inside of the door is exposed.

Old 05-07-2019, 10:54 PM

The felt could definitely be replaced. It still has fur on it, but the outer felt on the strip look shorn off. Going to get new ones. I have noticed another problem. The window is too high on the triangle and is almost piercing through the rubber at the top point. Meanwhile the rear of the window seems to be sitting too far back. I need to bring the window forward a bit, then lower the front of it. I've attached pics of the difference between driver and passenger side. I'm leaving my driver panel off until I figure out how to adjust the glass the way it needs to be.

Old 05-08-2019, 01:19 AM
Supreme Member

Received 348 Likes on 263 Posts
Car: 1984 Camaro Berlinetta
Engine: LT1
Transmission: T56 6-speed
Axle/Gears: 4.11 LS1 Rear End

There is a bolt showing in your last picture under the "IS in the word "THIS" This window brace has 1 bolt up top and 1 bolt on bottom. Near the top of this brace/braket there should be an "UP STOP". adjust this UP-STOP to change the position of the FRONT of the window.

** ADVISE -->> MAKE SMALL ADJUSTMENTS !! After being "fit" the way it is for it's lifetime,... your window seal is kinda' "Pre-formed" and if you adjust too much you will get wind-whistles and possibly leaks. if possible; make a small adjustment then drive the car for awhile to see if there is wind noise or leaks. Continue to adjust as needed or return to previous adjustment if wind or leaks are detected.

If your outer window seal is bad - this is a significant reason why your window is loose when partially rolled down. THE INFO BELOW IS DEPENDENT ON GOOD CONDITION INNER AND OUTER SEALS !

Here is the information from the factory shop manual on how to adjust your window:

Good luck !!

Old 05-08-2019, 02:10 AM
Supreme Member

Received 161 Likes on 133 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC-Z 305 LB9 AT Convertible
Engine: LB9 305
Transmission: AT

I would expect all rubber parts to be shot from age and heat, alone, in an 1990 vehicle. Might as well have it all on hand, when you open up the door.
Old 05-08-2019, 03:08 PM

Thank you John. The diagrahm was very helpful. It took a few minutes of "wiggle this and swear" but I think I've got it where I want it now. I owe you a beer!