Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

bumper cover install help

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 02:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 RS
Engine: vortec 350 w/ Edelbrock Pro-Flo XT
Transmission: 700R4 w/ S10 torque converter
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt Posi 3.25 gears
bumper cover install help

Hi guys!

The previous owner who has my '91 camaro did a terrible hackjob of a repair/replacement of the front bumper, front fenders, hood and the bumper bar underneath. So I'm re-doing everything in the front end (I've never done any real serious bodywork but I'm enjoying learning as I go to the front of this car.)
However, now that the fenders are on and lined up with the doors, I cant get the bumper cover to fit without looking like it's being stretched at the top corners where it connects to the fender.

So I assume that the bumper cover is supposed to be substantially supported by the egg-crate plastic behind it? How much contact should the bumper cover be making with the egg-crate thing? Or how many inches of shims should I expect to stick between the bumper bar and the mounts?

Thanks guys!
Old 02-20-2017, 10:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 RS
Engine: vortec 350 w/ Edelbrock Pro-Flo XT
Transmission: 700R4 w/ S10 torque converter
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt Posi 3.25 gears
Re: bumper cover install help

I took some pictures of the "pulling" gap I was referring to; the bolts behind that seam fully tightened.
Old 02-24-2017, 02:55 PM
Supreme Member

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28 Vert
Engine: 383 single plane efi
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 8.8 with 3.73s
Re: bumper cover install help

Originally Posted by TheFrankenberry
Hi guys!

The previous owner who has my '91 camaro did a terrible hackjob of a repair/replacement of the front bumper, front fenders, hood and the bumper bar underneath. So I'm re-doing everything in the front end (I've never done any real serious bodywork but I'm enjoying learning as I go to the front of this car.)
However, now that the fenders are on and lined up with the doors, I cant get the bumper cover to fit without looking like it's being stretched at the top corners where it connects to the fender.
You should be able to adjust the fenders in and out and to a small degree up. Also after 25-35 years worth of use not all bumpers covers are show car worthy.

So I assume that the bumper cover is supposed to be substantially supported by the egg-crate plastic behind it? How much contact should the bumper cover be making with the egg-crate thing?
While driving the bumper cover is mostly supported by the headlight bar and the connection to the fenders. The Egg crate material may help at high speeds but it is mostly for low speed impacts where the bumper itself is a brace for the egg crate and for high speed impacts to prevent something from going through the bumper. Ideally the bumper acts as a barrier and then causes the front rails to crumple up.

Or how many inches of shims should I expect to stick between the bumper bar and the mounts?
You shouldn't be putting any shims between the actual metal bumper and the frame horns it mounts on.