Search

Go Back   Third Generation F-Body Message Boards > Tech Boards > Brakes
Register Forgot Password?

Brakes Looking to upgrade or get the most out of what you have stock? All brake discussions go here!

Welcome to ThirdGen.org!
Welcome to ThirdGen.org.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join the ThirdGen.org community today!

Old 09-19-2011, 02:51 PM   #1

Car: 1987 Iroc Z28
Engine: 5.7L 350 Carburated
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.27 9bolt

Classifieds Rating: (0)
9 bolt brake problems

I Just installed a 9-bolt 3.27 In my 87 Camaro. The rear came with drum brakes. Im having a problem with the drums scraping and the backing plates. It even appears that the last guy who had this rear used washers around the studs on the axle before he slid the drums on. I was thinking maybee the drums were the wrong ones and for a 10 bolt or something and I wouldnt even know if there was a difference between 9 bolt and 10 bolt drums. Im not sure what to do. Should I try to just get a conversion kit to go to disk? Do they make one? Or is there a way to remedy the drums scaping on the backing plates? Has anyone else gone thru this or have any helpful suggestions. It would be greatly appriciated.
mchooks1234 is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 12:31 PM   #2

Car: 90 IROC 2-92 Zs blk vert & prpl
Engine: stealth ram brodix track 1 ful port
Transmission: 700r4 4l80e
Axle/Gears: iroc 375 lokr 92 Z 277 pos vert 327

Re: 9 bolt brake problems

Call hawks or someone and get the PBR rear disc set-up. I think someone stole the rear disc off of yours since not many 9 bolts had drums but some of them did. The PBR rear disc set-up came on 89 cars only. I think the calipers are the same on the 88-96 corvette and 89-92 camaro and trans am. If you can get the backing plates the rest should be easy but you can probably get an entire set-up from hawks. I remember seeing a third gen place from Florida that usually has 9 bolt PBR stuff for sale but I can't remember there name. The brakes are 11.7 inches wide and are as good as about anything out there. I just installed a 89 trans am 9 bolt PBR posi rear in my 92 Z convertible and it works great. I have three of the rears and one ford 9 but for 400HP or less a 9 bolt with PBRs is the way to go. Like most people I thought a 10 bolt was better untill I looked at the engineering of the 9 bolt and it is far superior to a 10 bolt. Parts are harder to get but worth the headache.
abray1 is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 07:43 AM   #3

Car: Met. Silver 85 IROC
Engine: 350 HO Deluxe (350ci/330hp)
Transmission: T-5 (Non-WC)
Axle/Gears: Limited Slip 3.23's

Classifieds Rating: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchooks1234 View Post
I was thinking maybe the drums were the wrong ones and for a 10 bolt or something and I wouldnt even know if there was a difference between 9 bolt and 10 bolt drums. Should I try to just get a conversion kit to go to disk? Do they make one?
There's no difference between 9- and 10-bolt drums. Here's a link to the backing plates you'll need for a conversion. Remember you'll need parking brakes cables, speedo gear(s) probably, and for best brake performance, a 1LE combination valve.

http://www.flynbye.com/catalog/i31.html

JamesC

"Convictions are more dangerous enemies of truth than lies." Nietzsche
JamesC is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 08:48 PM   #4

Car: 1987 IROC-Z red t-top
Engine: Nothing much
Transmission: I wish t56
Axle/Gears: 9bolt 3.27 4sale

My 3.27 have rotors I will be selling it soon will be getting a 4th gen I may fix it up more new clutch cones and a gridle put new brakses on it see can I get 5 to 700 for it
Sojer is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 08:48 PM
ThirdGen
1992 Camaro

Paid Advertisement

Go Back   Third Generation F-Body Message Boards > Tech Boards > Brakes

Tags
87, 9bolt, backing, bolt, brake, brakes, camaro, camaros, cane, drum, f150, fit, plate, problems, rear, scraping