Brakes Looking to upgrade or get the most out of what you have stock? All brake discussions go here!

Is an Anti-lock Brake System upgrade possible?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 11:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is an Anti-lock Brake System upgrade possible?

Hi everyone, this is my first post to these forums. I am in the market for getting a third-gen Trans Am or Firebird for the immediate purpose of being a daily driver around town and the long-term purpose is to eventually convert it to a replica of KITT from Knight Rider. I did some research on these forums (and elsewhere on the interwebs) and found a little bit of information about upgrading the braking systems on these cars but what I'm really curious about is whether it's technically possible to install an ABS system. I know there were some older threads here from years past where it was stated that it should theoretically be possible but no one had seemed to have done it yet. So, has anyone here either done this themselves or know someone who has? I'm just curious what the technical challenges would be (disregarding cost) and if would even be worth it to explore this option. I know there are now options for putting in upgraded brakes (like from www.bigbrakeupgrade.com) and I almost certainly will do that but I'm wondering if I should go further. Thoughts?
Old 08-11-2015, 03:44 AM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 86 Camaro
Engine: 355- hopefully a 5.3 this summer
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.42
Re: Is an Anti-lock Brake System upgrade possible?

why? antilock brakes are designed to allow people to not actually pay attention to what they are doing and maybe survive when they panic and hit the brakes too hard..
Old 08-12-2015, 02:58 PM

Received 215 Likes on 201 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check

Originally Posted by Adamki2000
Hi everyone, this is my first post to these forums. I am in the market for getting a third-gen Trans Am or Firebird for the immediate purpose of being a daily driver around town and the long-term purpose is to eventually convert it to a replica of KITT from Knight Rider. I did some research on these forums (and elsewhere on the interwebs) and found a little bit of information about upgrading the braking systems on these cars but what I'm really curious about is whether it's technically possible to install an ABS system....Thoughts?
From what I understand the Bosch 3-channel system is easy to retro-fit. Try a search using those terms and see what comes up. I haven't looked into it but do recall the 3-channel systems being mentioned.

RBob.
Old 08-12-2015, 04:16 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 85 SC, 86 Berlinetta
Engine: V6, V8
Transmission: 700r4, 700r4

Don't know if this is one of the theoretical threads you found, but I'll post it in case you haven't.

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/brak...-possible.html
Old 08-21-2015, 04:31 AM
Supreme Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1989 Iroc-Z Camaro
Engine: TBI,5.0
Transmission: Automatic 700R4
Axle/Gears: Eaton Posi,3.42,LPW Ultimate Cover

Type into a Google search "the truth about anti-lock brakes" and similar searches before spending a dime on one.
Short version = People are dyeing because of them.
Old 08-21-2015, 02:30 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 92 Camaro RS
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 10bolt w3.42 Torsen

Mark Stielow put anti lock brakes in his camaros.

http://www.hotrod.com/cars/featured/...vrolet-camaro/

I like a car I control myself but I also have never raced a antilock car. My buddy's ZL1 has nannies that individually control each brake to help keep him under control around the corners of autoX.
Old 08-21-2015, 03:20 PM
Supreme Member

Received 745 Likes on 505 Posts
Car: 1989-92 FORMULA350 305 92 Hawkclone
Engine: 4++,350 & 305 CIs
Transmission: 700R4 4800 vig 18th700R4 t56 ZF6 T5
Axle/Gears: 3.70 9"ford alum chunk,dana44,9bolt

I know the newer systems are getting better but I would never install it on my cars, esp the older versions. horrible.
Old 08-21-2015, 06:10 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,664 Likes on 1,262 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

What do you find attractive about the idea of downgrading your brakes to have, on all 4 wheels, the least braking that ANY ONE wheel has available? (i.e. for example one wheel is on ice but the other 3 are on pavement, therefore NO wheels have brakes NO MATTER how hard you try to make them)

Understanding the motivation for the desire of this downgrade might help us point you in a direction that will help you out.
Old 08-22-2015, 01:14 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by sofakingdom
What do you find attractive about the idea of downgrading your brakes to have, on all 4 wheels, the least braking that ANY ONE wheel has available? (i.e. for example one wheel is on ice but the other 3 are on pavement, therefore NO wheels have brakes NO MATTER how hard you try to make them)

Understanding the motivation for the desire of this downgrade might help us point you in a direction that will help you out.
that's not how ABS works... a properly functioning 3 channel system will modulate pressure to each front wheel individually and both rear wheels together. the sensors tell the module how fast each wheel is spinning, and kicks in if it sees one sensor going significantly slower than the other to reduce pressure to that wheel.. it doesn't knock down pressure to all of the channels equally: it does them individually to theoretically keep each wheel working as hard as it can.

a 4 channel system is the same, but has a sensor for each rear wheel..

i agree that it's a waste of time and money to adapt it to these cars, but at least know how it operates so you can have an educated opinion on it.
Old 08-22-2015, 02:45 AM
Supreme Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1989 Iroc-Z Camaro
Engine: TBI,5.0
Transmission: Automatic 700R4
Axle/Gears: Eaton Posi,3.42,LPW Ultimate Cover

Here you go. = http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/200...er-risk-by-51/
I did a ton of research on them when my sister bought a car that had them.
Her's can be disabled by pulling a fuse and the car will break normally . It's a built in safety feature that's harmless.

Last edited by Ron U.S.M.C.; 08-30-2015 at 03:03 AM.
Old 10-31-2015, 08:27 PM
TGO Supporter/Moderator

Received 89 Likes on 75 Posts
Car: '88 Formula, '94 Corvette, '95 Bird
Engine: LC9, 355" LT1, LT1
Transmission: T5, Zf6, 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.42, Dana44 3.45, 3.23

Originally Posted by novaderrik
that's not how ABS works... a properly functioning 3 channel system will modulate pressure to each front wheel individually and both rear wheels together. the sensors tell the module how fast each wheel is spinning, and kicks in if it sees one sensor going significantly slower than the other to reduce pressure to that wheel.. it doesn't knock down pressure to all of the channels equally: it does them individually to theoretically keep each wheel working as hard as it can.

a 4 channel system is the same, but has a sensor for each rear wheel..

i agree that it's a waste of time and money to adapt it to these cars, but at least know how it operates so you can have an educated opinion on it.
Baha.

My 2012 doesn't even work that way. I've slid nearly all the way across a f'n intersection when ABS decided to tell my foot to **** off because one tire hit something slippery.

-- Joe
Old 11-02-2015, 03:36 AM
Supreme Member

then you should take it in and get it looked at, because that's definitely not how it's supposed to work.
Old 11-02-2015, 04:59 AM
TGO Supporter/Moderator

Received 89 Likes on 75 Posts
Car: '88 Formula, '94 Corvette, '95 Bird
Engine: LC9, 355" LT1, LT1
Transmission: T5, Zf6, 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.42, Dana44 3.45, 3.23

Originally Posted by novaderrik
then you should take it in and get it looked at, because that's definitely not how it's supposed to work.

We own 7 vehicles. My wife and I alternate between a new daily driver every 2 years. Mine is a 2012, hers is a 2014.

I doubt every vehicle I've bought new since the 90s has had fault abs. Statistically speaking that would be impossible. Yet they all drive the same way.

-- Joe
Old 11-05-2015, 02:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1990 Formula Firebird
Engine: 305 TBI (LO3)
Transmission: WC T-5 out of an 88 T/A
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt, 3.42 & Torsen Posi

If ABS only cut pressure to one wheel it would create an uneven braking force, which would make the car pull hard every time the ABS kicks in, which would be just as or more dangerous than locking a wheel & skidding.

Companies would NEVER do that, it'd be more dangers than no ABS at all, cars would be pulling themselves into ditches or traffic whenever ABS kicked on. That is if it only created a pulling affect, under the right circumstances this same phenomena could easily spin a car, 2 or 3 tires on ice, one catches blacktop & catches HARD, next thing you know your spinning down the roadway....
Old 11-06-2015, 05:27 PM
Supreme Member

Received 298 Likes on 234 Posts
Car: 92 Firebird
Engine: 4.8 LR4
Axle/Gears: 3.45 9 Bolt

One thing you are failing to think about is that when your wheels are locked up, you have no control of the car in any direction. Also the ABS does function mostly like novaderrik suggests, it doesn't cut out the pressure of one completely, it modulates it so you get the most out of what traction you have to work with. They are not flawless, they are designed, programmed and made by man, but they do a job because most people are not capable of making decisions in an emergency situation. Most people are, in my opinion, too stupid to drive cars and things like ABS are for those people.

And in retort to the naysayers, Stielo put it in his last cars and he did better in the brake challenge than any of the other people at OUSCI without ABS from what I remember being there, it isn't nearly as bad as you're making it out to be
Old 11-06-2015, 05:57 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Car: 87 IROC
Engine: L31 350
Axle/Gears: 4.10 D44

Originally Posted by scooter
And in retort to the naysayers, Stielo put it in his last cars and he did better in the brake challenge than any of the other people at OUSCI without ABS from what I remember being there, it isn't nearly as bad as you're making it out to be
Marks Stielow is/was an engineer working for GM. This is what he did/does for a living. The OUSCI is a straight line, clear weather, clean, clear, dry pavement competition. That's where ABS performs best, and has the least drawbacks. Not at all like all weather, public road conditions.

Apples. Oranges.

I've had ABS screw me once. But that is also when I was screwing around on snow and WANTED the tires to lock up and slide sideways, but didn't. I think too many people think ABS will save them and WAY overdrive the conditions into a crash. Beyond that, my unscientific opinion is; for 99% of uses, ABS is beneficial.
Old 11-07-2015, 07:12 AM
Supreme Member

Received 745 Likes on 505 Posts
Car: 1989-92 FORMULA350 305 92 Hawkclone
Engine: 4++,350 & 305 CIs
Transmission: 700R4 4800 vig 18th700R4 t56 ZF6 T5
Axle/Gears: 3.70 9"ford alum chunk,dana44,9bolt

I got into a (less than) 5mph sideways slide on ice due to a gust of wind. It put me into the side of another car.
I couldn't drive out of it because the traction control wouldn't let me spin the tires like it should have and the brakes were useless.
I have since figured out that if I pull the E-brake up 1 click, it deactivates the traction control. How stupid is that?
Old 11-07-2015, 08:07 AM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1984 LG4 Camaro
Engine: 350 Roller Motor
Transmission: Level 10 700R4
Axle/Gears: Strange 12 bolt 3.42

If you are thinking ABS is going to drop your stopping distances on dry, warm pavement - it won't. Works great in wet/slippery/hard turning braking as it is meant to.

Yes you can retrofit ABS, but will the system be a basic-style one from the early years or will it be the advanced systems available today - big difference. Not sure if it is worth it, even if you have the skills and knowledge to do it yourself.
Old 11-11-2015, 11:44 PM
Supreme Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: 1983 Pontiac Trans Am Daytona 500
Engine: Crossfire 305ci V8
Transmission: Jasper 700R4 4 speed Automatic
Axle/Gears: 3.23 limited slip/posi

Originally Posted by Adamki2000
Hi everyone, this is my first post to these forums. I am in the market for getting a third-gen Trans Am or Firebird for the immediate purpose of being a daily driver around town and the long-term purpose is to eventually convert it to a replica of KITT from Knight Rider. I did some research on these forums (and elsewhere on the interwebs) and found a little bit of information about upgrading the braking systems on these cars but what I'm really curious about is whether it's technically possible to install an ABS system. I know there were some older threads here from years past where it was stated that it should theoretically be possible but no one had seemed to have done it yet. So, has anyone here either done this themselves or know someone who has? I'm just curious what the technical challenges would be (disregarding cost) and if would even be worth it to explore this option. I know there are now options for putting in upgraded brakes (like from www.bigbrakeupgrade.com) and I almost certainly will do that but I'm wondering if I should go further. Thoughts?
How is your Kitt replica comming along?
Old 11-25-2015, 11:45 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 90 IROC 5.7 hardtop
Engine: L98
Transmission: T5 swap
Axle/Gears: Yup -- they still work

Originally Posted by paul_huryk

If you are thinking ABS is going to drop your stopping distances on dry, warm pavement - it won't. Works great in wet/slippery/hard turning braking as it is meant to.
too broad a statement

ABS will certainly stop you in shorter distances on dry, warm pavement. Especially after repeat efforts when fade and heat impact the system.
Old 11-26-2015, 12:11 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Ron U.S.M.C.
I read the article. They use non-specific words in key junctures for example "tend to", "potentially" and "may". These are evasive and non-binding.

The most recent date presented in the article is 1999. It is 2015. New ABS systems are light years ahead of old.

The writer makes fact based conclusions from marginal data that is not supported through additional links in the document. As a result the reader cannot view the facts independently from the writer and cannot effectively measure his conclusions.

The conclusion ("ABS can kill") is not substantiated with essential fact necessary to support the claim.

Also should note anti-tampering clauses exist in the fine print of most auto insurance policies. Turning off your ABS could result in your insurance company turning off your insurance...

The following users liked this post:
johnster (12-21-2020)
Old 12-18-2015, 11:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1985 Camaro
Engine: 5.3
Transmission: 4L80e
Axle/Gears: 3.42 10 bolt

^You a lawyer or something? Your rebuttal of the article was well thought out and organized. I am impressed.
Old 12-19-2015, 02:33 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1984 LG4 Camaro
Engine: 350 Roller Motor
Transmission: Level 10 700R4
Axle/Gears: Strange 12 bolt 3.42

That is not necessarily true - ABS (even the most recent, advanced ones) kicks in at times when it is not needed, just like traction control. Ever accelerate and come across a manhole cover that trips the TC - same thing for ABS.

Now if your car is way overbraked for the tires it is running, it may be closer to optimal than your foot and gut. A lot of high priced, high powered exotic cars need advanced ABS to be easily driveable (TC also).

ABS by itself cannot drop stopping distances, same goes for ceramic brake rotors, that is a function of braking power, braking modulation, and tires.

Originally Posted by palric
too broad a statement
ABS will certainly stop you in shorter distances on dry, warm pavement. Especially after repeat efforts when fade and heat impact the system.
Old 12-20-2015, 02:31 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Streetstuff
^You a lawyer or something? Your rebuttal of the article was well thought out and organized. I am impressed.
Thx for the compliment

Nope, I am not a lawyer.

Last edited by palric; 12-20-2015 at 10:34 PM.
Old 12-20-2015, 10:40 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by paul_huryk
That is not necessarily true - ABS (even the most recent, advanced ones) kicks in at times when it is not needed, just like traction control. Ever accelerate and come across a manhole cover that trips the TC - same thing for ABS.

Now if your car is way overbraked for the tires it is running, it may be closer to optimal than your foot and gut. A lot of high priced, high powered exotic cars need advanced ABS to be easily driveable (TC also).

ABS by itself cannot drop stopping distances, same goes for ceramic brake rotors, that is a function of braking power, braking modulation, and tires.
I think we can agree to disagree.

Best regards.