Brakes Looking to upgrade or get the most out of what you have stock? All brake discussions go here!

Question on replacement Brake Calipers?

Old 11-28-2015, 10:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question on replacement Brake Calipers?

Hi.. I've been looking on the Summit and Rock Auto Catalogue for replacement front and rear Calipers/Brake Kits for my 83 Firebird with brake discs all round!

For the fronts I've chosen the Power Stop 1- Click Performance Front Brake Kits - KC1482-26. Has anyone used them before? I know they're probably not as good as the Wilwoods,or any other premium make, but would be good to know if they are worth their weight in Gold?

Secondly I'm looking for rear brake caliper replacements. I have been looking on the Rock Auto Catalogue. I came across the AC Delco 18R790 rear re manufactured replacements, however I'm a bit puzzled to why they don't state which side the caliper is supposed to be for? I have emailed them and they say that the caliper fits both left and right rear side, but when I question Rock Auto that how can this be, because that would mean that one caliper would be upside down they don't provide an answer!!! I've emailed them a few times but don't reply!

I am wondering if anyone can shed some light on this? Summit also have a set of Centrics which again are one caliper fits both sides! No one seems to be able to give a decent answer?

Let me know what you guys think? Cheers

Shaz

Old 11-29-2015, 03:47 PM
esc

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: '82 Camaro 11.7@121
Engine: 377
Transmission: 400
Axle/Gears: Dana 44 / 3.31:1
Re: Question on replacement Brake Calipers?

Assuming the early iron calipers...
One caliper goes on the front side of the disk, the other on the back side.

But these are a very poor design. I would give serious thought to upgrading to a PBR caliper, like the later third-gens or early 4th gens used. It is a pretty easy swap and well worth it, IMO.

I paid $120 (IIRC) for everything I needed from a junk yard and it made a huge difference. Now my rear brakes work reliably.
Good luck with what ever you decide to do.
Old 11-29-2015, 05:03 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,662 Likes on 1,261 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

Yes the old crappy Saginaw cast-iron calipers on the rear are the same on both sides. Both are right-side-up, as they would have to be so that the bleeder screw is on top. One is in front of the axle, one is behind.

The calipers are used stock, just remanned, same as at the parts store. (plus of course the all-important red powder coat) Might want to compare the cost to just getting the upgrade rotors, and get calipers & pads locally. Don't forget to factor in shipping cost.
Old 11-29-2015, 09:46 PM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 86 Camaro
Engine: 355- hopefully a 5.3 this summer
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.42

if you don't actually need calipers because the pistons are seized or leaking, then don't get them. just pull them off, clean them up, and put them back on. make sure to clean and lube the pins and the areas where the calipers push against the spindles in the front and brackets in the rear. replace the rubber hoses and buy good ceramic pads and new rotors and it will stop better than new..
Old 11-30-2015, 06:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ah that's great guys! You answered my question.. Awesome!!! I did think about upgrading to 4th Gen Conversion.. But maybe later and when I got a bit more money to play with! My existing calipers have broken bleed nipples and have also ceased up, so rather not go down that path of fixing them up!