Brakes Looking to upgrade or get the most out of what you have stock? All brake discussions go here!

E-Brake woes.

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 07:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 88 IROC Camaro
Engine: carby fed 350 chev
Transmission: 5 speed manual
Axle/Gears: ones that work.
E-Brake woes.

ok, so the other day, i decided i'd get some handbrake cables for my third gen.
ordered them, they came through, and i was happy. up until i pulled the drum off and started to feed the cable through. looked for where the cable hooked up. swore when i realised it wasn't there. quick net search revealed that there isn't any online and then i searched around here to find somebody had said they were discontinued.

so now my questions that i have are:
does anybody know where i can find them (slim chance)
and is there an alternative to them (will any other gm e-brake lever/spring combos fit)

kinda don't feel like converting to disc rear :/ Im in Australia, so shipping of larger stuff gets to be a pain in the backside (and yeah, i know the whole thing needs a good clean, and im missing a wheel stud but that's a project car for ya lol) i circled in red what i need on the picture of a car that has them too.

Old 08-16-2016, 09:03 PM
Supreme Member

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
Car: '87 IROC
Engine: LB9
Transmission: TH700R4
Re: E-Brake woes.

The parts circled in read are readily available here in the States. Dunno about Australia.

Don't use that top photo as an installation guide. That brake installation is FUBAR. The cable is supposed to come through the backing plate from the front; the cable lever is supposed to be attached to the rear shoe.
Old 08-16-2016, 11:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 88 IROC Camaro
Engine: carby fed 350 chev
Transmission: 5 speed manual
Axle/Gears: ones that work.

i've checked out NAPA, Ebay, Summit, Hawks, Ricks. might check YearOne or Rock Auto to see if they're there.

the hole at the back was the only one that seemed to be there? (this is my left/drivers side one, i haven't got pics of the right side yet)

Old 08-17-2016, 07:21 PM
Supreme Member

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
Car: '87 IROC
Engine: LB9
Transmission: TH700R4

I haven't owned a drum brake rear axle car since I sold my '74 Camaro back in '89.

I suppose it's possible that 3rd Gen rear drums have one side where the parking brake arm is attached to the front shoe. But just the way the cable is routed from the front and has to snake around to the back of the rear axle seems a bit "complicated".

Old 08-29-2016, 05:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 91 Firebird
Engine: 3.1L 191ci
Transmission: 700R4

Hi Wolfe,

Just read your post with interest, I've just swapped from drums to discs and I'm pretty sure I have the arms that you're looking for. They came off my 91 Bird and I can look into shipping them out for you if I've still got them.

I'm half way in bed so can't confirm if they're still in the garage or not, but I'll have a look for you tomorrow if you're interested.

I know what it's like trying to get bits for our cars when you don't live in the states! I'm currently looking for a new front cable (cable off the hand brake to the equalizer) but I've had no luck at all either!

Send me a pm and I'll check my mail in the morning and check the garage if you like when I get in from work.

All the best,

Speed.