Brakes Looking to upgrade or get the most out of what you have stock? All brake discussions go here!

Running corvette brakes on iroc z

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2016, 06:46 PM
Want a title? Post!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Running corvette brakes on iroc z

Ok so got 1988 iroc z. I'm running a 275/30/18 in the front wheels. I've been wanting to do corvette brakes... but I need to know what all I need to do so... any help would be nice
Old 11-08-2016, 11:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1990 Iroc-Z
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.23
Re: Running corvette brakes on iroc z

Buy this:
http://bigbrakeupgrade.com/c5_complete.html

Or to DIY:

Things you'll need:
C5/LS1 Caliper with abutment bracket.
Pads/Rotors
Conversion Adapter plate
Conversion Hubs
Bolts

1: Remove all your old brake hardware
2: Cut the ear off the spindle, and drill/tap the dust cover holes for the new bolts (12mm x 1.75 is the size you tap, drill with a 10.5mm drill bit or 13/32)
3: Turn down a factory rotor on a lathe to remove the disk (leave just the center hub with studs), and remove some material so the C5 rotor fits on properly. See guide
4: Cut up dust shield so you have one bolt hole and just the center ring that sits over the seal, and install it. This can be done with tin snips. Super easy.
4: Install hub/rotor as you would the factory piece.
5: Install C5 brake caliper onto the adapter mounting bracket
6: The factory C5 caliper lines will bolt right up to stock front disk lines.

I ordered the Adapter mounting brackets ($60) and already converted Hubs with bearings and studs ($140) which made the process much easier, and I highly recommend just ordering those. I used a harbor freight tap set for the spindle bolt holes, which was the hardest part. It took about an hour.

It sounds really complicated when you read that, but it really isn't especially if you buy the parts from BigBrakeUpgrade

I bought used C5 calipers/abutment brackets on ebay ($100), the mount brackets and premade hub from BigBrakeUpgrade($60 + $140), a set of rotors ($100), and did the rest myself. I spent an entire day cleaning and painting the callipers, drilling and tapping the spindles, and assembling everything. So $400 and a day of labor, vs buying the assembled kit for $799.

Here is my Picture Album

Here is a good walkthrough with pictures:
http://lukeskaff.com/projects/car/th...brake-upgrade/

Last edited by kenney001; 11-08-2016 at 11:38 AM.