Brakes Looking to upgrade or get the most out of what you have stock? All brake discussions go here!

Which spindles?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 09:07 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1991 Trans Am GTA
Engine: L98(5.7 L TPI)
Transmission: 700r4(A4)
Axle/Gears: G80 RPO, 3:23s, Auburn Racer's Diff
Which spindles?

I have a 1991 Trans Am GTA. Back in 2008, I purchased a wilwood brake kit from Ed Miller. It was the largest brake kit that would fit under stock GTA wheels.

My car is in the shop right now. A bolt from the caliper bracket that bolts into the spindle came loose. The spindle was damaged and needs to be replaced.

Am I correct in that my Ed Miller brake kit utilized my stock spindles rather than replacing them?

If so, according to my mechanic, the spindles for single caliper firebirds are different than those of dual caliper cars. Since I no longer have the original brakes, how can I tell which spindle I need?

Also, do any companies produce upgraded spindles, or do I have to use a stock replacement? If I go with a stock replacement, should I go with new or remanufactured? Which brand of parts should I use?

While the spindles are being replaced, is there any other worthwhile maintenance that should be performed like wheel bearings, ball joints, etc?

Thanks!
Bill
Old 01-04-2017, 10:43 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts
Re: Which spindles?

The spindles are all the same, the typical brake upgrades just require hacking off the mounting ears for the stock calipers, and drilling/tapping the existing dust shield bolt holes for the adapter bolts.