Brakes Looking to upgrade or get the most out of what you have stock? All brake discussions go here!

workable plan?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 07:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '85 Camaro
Engine: LG4
Transmission: 4L80E
Axle/Gears: 3.42:1
workable plan?

So now that I've found a couple of likely third gens to choose from, I've been researching. It seems I can mill the stock rotors off the stock hubs, or 1LE hubs, then use 14" Corvette J56 rotors, which are the same thickness as the "LS1" brakes, so I can use "LS1" calipers, which require matching carriers, with just a bracket from one of the forum sponsors?
That requires 18" or larger wheels, right?
In back I was thinking just do a '98-'02 axle assembly and leaving those discs alone. That'll let me fit 16" drag radials.
I think I will change the booster to a dual-diaphragm 9", since I'm not planning a cam wild enough to need hydroboost.
Lastly for now, I'd also need an aftermarket prop valve to balance 14" F to 12" R, I think, but what about the master cylinder?
Any help will be appreciated.
Old 01-12-2017, 07:38 PM

Received 73 Likes on 36 Posts
Re: workable plan?

Yes on milling the rotors to hubs and 18 inch wheels, you will need longer studs too since you are adding a rotor on top. As far as using the 14" Z06 rotor with a LS1 caliper, it is possible, I`m unsure if anyone has a bracket for that however. I have seen the 14" Z06 rotor with a base C5 or C6 caliper assembly but not a LS1 caliper assembly since the abutment bracket differ between the two. the rear plan sounds perfect btw