Camaros for Sale Post your Camaro for Sale.

[IL] Just Feeling it Out: Red 91 Z28 ($6k?)

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 04:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '91 Z28 - Red
Engine: 355 TPI
Red 91 Z28 - $6k OBO - Chicago, IL

posted this back in the day as a "feeler" thread...now i'm officially selling it because it went into storage in october 2012, and aside from a few starts here and there - it was sat there.

~150,000 on odometer
hardtop
original 5.7 motor rebuilt in 2010. bored 30 over. block is bright red. easily less than 5000miles on said motor.
transmission is flawless...original? its an automatic, but I believe has a shift kit of some sort on there. shifts into 2nd and 3rd nice and hard.
new alternator in 09.
new injectors in 09.
new shocks struts in 09.
paint is pretty much flawless, yet there is a nick in the hood, small dent on right fender behind headlight and a cracked front spoiler/ground effect thing on the passenger side/front. previous owner had it painted in ~95 and had about 80 pictures of the paintjob in progress, but have since lost them.
edelbrock headers that tie into 3" exhaust, split right before rear axle. they then enter a stupid cheapo wannabe flowmaster muffler. half of my peers like the sound, I just don't think its deep enough. no cats.
msd ignition.
msd wires custom made to run straight back to firewall, then up to coil. (got sick of having ignition wires burnt to a crisp by running through headers)
2nd owner is myself/father. bought from a coworker of my father at felpro/federal mogul.
always garage stored 6months a year...only driven in summer (it did see rain and run for last 3 or 4 summers...just never snow...as it was parked in front of my house.)
ac functions, but I always had to recharge it every spring when taking it out of storage. already converted to 134a. in 2012, i never even bothered recharging it because i waited until later in summer to take her out of storage.
newer battery (2010).
interior is in good shape considering. no cracks on dash as all. but there is a tear in drivers seat, and the leather on the steering wheel is a bit rough looking. otherwise excellent shape.
stock wheels with decent allseasons up front and really nice summersoft tires in back. both sets put on in (2012)
manual fan switch inside to keep right side efan on. no matter how hot it is outside, the car will not overheat if you're at least cruising. bumper to bumper traffic here in chicago is a whole new story...heats up quick...that may need some addressing. radiator maybe? cooling system seems to engage and disengage correctly...just overheats while sitting. possibly waterpump? or maybe just needs a new radiator as i believe the radiator in there is stock.
extra set of stock wheels included.
new window motors in 2011. cheapos from ebay...so they already seem a bit sluggish. drivers power window switch works, but is upside down (haha...) and the passenger side window switch needs to be replaced...it works, but you really gotta mess with it. its a switch issue, not a motor issue.
keyless entry and alarm. extra key and fob included. real old system. probably installed in late 90's.
remote start was/is on there. since the new motor, not sure if it still functions. all other keyless entry functions work.
new headlights (2011).
all lights work, but I believe the switch in the leftside of the steering column needs some addressing. right turn signal will sometimes work, and other times it just stays on. high beam function (pull back) is kinda squirrely too.
not a leak anywhere on it. it sits in storage 6months (sometimes 8) a year (it actually sat for a full year this season...hence me now selling), and there are never any puddles anywhere. radiator is still full, trans is full, everything.
tinted rear window.
cd player (old and outdated...but since its aftermarket, replacement will be easy)
new wiper arms, but if you drive in rain alot, I think you're going to want to replace the wiper motors.
once awhile (warm startups), the car doesn't wanna idle/fire correctly. throttle position sensor probably? had to change it more than once in the last several few years.

the story:
when I was in 7th grade, my father had purchased this vehicle for my mother in ~1997. the guy he bought it from was actually his supervisor in the product testing lab @ felpro. this same supervisor sold my dad his 76 stingray just several years prior to buying the z28. my dad was a gear head, and I was "in training". I was too young to know/care about the work we were doing to it every weekend. the camaro was kind of our weekend play car. it was always a project for my dad and I. he understood this tpi system well and she always purred.

in 04, he passed @ 49. he/we were in the middle of a couple projects. 1) customizing an oil cooler and 2) getting a solid exhaust put on it. it was mostly his project as I was now at university and in an internship...and maybe got to play with him once a month at best. the car sat, as it was when he passed until 2009. i got it towed to a local shop to put an exhaust on it (went with the "budget" exhaust cause I just wanted it street able. i get the oil lines hooked back up (sans cooler...again, just trying to get it on street). car was now running...and running bad. but the several years it spent sittingn a garage really beat it up mechanically (tires, shocks, struts, pulleys, etc. just stuff you don't want to sit). however, the body remained pristine under the roof of a garage.

in attempt to get it running well again, I slowly replaced parts (as outlined above). alternator, battery, injectors, ignition system, fuel system, etc, etc. even tried swapping the ecu in hopes of getting it to idle correctly. over the course of that year, I've tended to most/all major bolt on concerns/fixes. next step was going internal that was all above my head. took it to one of dads ex coworkers (who now runs his own shop) for a valve job. that eventually led to determining that piston rings and seals were shot. we had the motor pulled and rebuilt by a local shop here in chicago.

the guy responsible for the motor rebuild is pete sr of pete's auto clinic. if you're into camaros, you 1) might know him already or 2) should know him cause he has a black ttop 02 ss running low 9's....possibly high 8's now. just over 1000hp. so sick.

now the car is where it is. brand new motor, wheels, shocks, everything good and of driving condition...except the ac needs to be recharged seasonally and likes to overheat in traffic.

what is this vehicle worth ya think? anyone potentially interested? like I said, I am currently in a doctors office, but will come back to this thread and add photos later tonight.

-------------------
photos i promised

these are the pictures of the car in storage, when i finally had the funds (barely) to get it back out on the streets. they kind of correlate to the story posted above: so in these pictures, the motor is dry, oil cooler half connected, just headers w/ no pipe beyond them. this is the absolute dirtiest the car has ever been. ever. also, all of that trans fluid on the shop floor is from the power steering rack and real trans seal of ANOTHER VEHICLE...not my camaro. the stingray that parks beside it leaks all winter. but you warm it up once, everything seals itself back up. weird.

SCROLL DOWN SEVERAL POSTS FOR MORE PHOTOS. LIMITED TO 8 APPARENTLY.

Last edited by derricksmash; 11-25-2013 at 03:10 PM.
Old 11-28-2011, 07:48 PM

Car: 91Z28
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23
Re: Just Feeling it Out: Red 91 Z28

hey derrick i seen that you may be looking to sell your 91z and i am interested,sounds like and looks like a nice car where about in the us are you located?.....did you have a number i could reach you at to talk about the car?....thank you for your time Chris
Old 11-28-2011, 10:03 PM
TGO Supporter

Location: Avatar: My 34' 1989 Scarab III w/ twin 454's (502's Started!)
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1989 Wellcraft Scarab III
Engine: Twin 454's
Axle/Gears: Twin Mercruiser Bravo I's

Originally Posted by derricksmash
been meaning to post on here for a while now. sitting in doctors office waiting room, and figured I would do it now. I will come back later to post pics.

150,000 on odometer
hardtop
original 5.7 motor rebuilt in 2010. bored 30 over. block is bright red. easily less than 5000miles on said motor.
transmission is flawless...original? its an automatic, but I believe has a shift kit of some sort on there. shifts into 2nd and 3rd nice and hard.
new alternator in 09.
new injectors in 09.
new shocks struts in 09.
paint is pretty much flawless, yet there is a nick in the hood, small dent on right fender by headlight and a cracked front spoiler/ground effect thing. previous owner had it painted in ~95 and had about 80 pictures of the paintjob in progress, but have since lost them.
edelbrock headers that tie into 3" exhaust, split right before rear axle. they then enter a stupid cheapo wannabe flowmaster muffler. half of my peers like the sound, I just don't think its deep enough. no cats.
msd ignition.
msd wires custom made to run straight back to firewall, then up to coil. (got sick of having ignition wires burnt to a crisp by running through headers)
2nd owner is myself/father. bought from a coworker of my father at felpro/federal mogul.
always garage stored 6months a year...only driven in summer.
ac functions, but I always had to recharge it every spring when taking it out of storage. alreadyy converted to 134a.
newer battery (2years old).
interior is in good shape considering. no cracks on dash as all. but there is a tear in drivers seat, and the leather on the steering wheel is a bit rough looking. otherwise excellent shape.
stock wheels with decent allseasons up front and really nice summersoft tires in back. both sets about 2years old.
manual fan switch inside to keep right side efan on. no matter how hot it is outside, the car will not overheat if you're at least cruising. bumper to bumper traffic here in chicago is a whole new stor...heats up quick...that may need some addressing. radiator maybe? cooloing system seems to engage and disengage correctly...just overheats while sitting. possibly waterpump?
extra set of stock wheels included.
new window motors 2years ago. cheapos from ebay...so they already seem a bit sluggish. drivers power window switch works, but is upside down (haha...) and the passenger side window switch needs to be replaced...it works, but you really gotta mess with it. its a switch issue, not a motor issue.
keyless entry and alarm. extra key and fob included. real old system. probably installed in mid 90's.
remote start was/is on there. since the new motor, not sure if it still functions. all other keyless entry functions work.
new headlights last year.
all lights work, but I believe the switch in the leftside of the steering column needs some addressing. right turn signal will sometimes work, and other times it just stays on. high beam function (pull back) is kinda squirrely too.
not a leak anywhere on it. it sits in storage 6months (sometimes 8) a year, and there are never any puddles anywhere. radiator is still full, trans is full, everything.
tinted rear window.
cd player (old and outdated...but since its aftermarket, replacement will be easy)
new wiper arms, but if you drive in rain alot, I think you're going to want to replace the wiper motors.
once awhile (warm startups), the car doesn't wanna idle/fire correctly. throttle position sensor probably? had to change it more than once in the last few years.

the story:
when I was in 7th grade, my father had purchased this vehicle for my mother in ~1997. the guy he bought it from was actually his supervisor in the product testing lab @ felpro. this same supervisor sold my dad his 76 stingray just several years prior to buying the z28. my dad was a gear head, and I was "in training". I was too young to know/care about the work we were doing to it every weekend. the camaro was kind of our weekend play car. it was always a project for my dad and I. he understood this tpi system well and she always purred.

in 04, he passed @ 49. he/we were in the middle of a couple projects. 1) customizing an oil cooler and 2) getting a solid exhaust put on it. it was mostly his project as I was now at university and in an internship...and maybe got to play with him once a month at best. the car sat, as it was when he passed until 2009. i got it towed to a local shop to put an exhaust on it (went with the "budget" exhaust cause I just wanted it street able. i get the oil lines hooked back up (sans cooler...again, just trying to get it on street). car was now running...and running bad. but the several years it spent sittingn a garage really beat it up mechanically (tires, shocks, struts, pulleys, etc. just stuff you don't want to sit). however, the body remained pristine under the roof of a garage.

in attempt to get it running well again, I slowly replaced parts (as outlined above). alternator, battery, injectors, ignition system, fuel system, etc, etc. even tried swapping the ecu in hopes of getting it to idle correctly. over the course of that year, I've tended to most/all major bolt on concerns/fixes. next step was going internal that was all above my head. took it to one of dads ex coworkers (who now runs his own shop) for a valve job. that eventually led to determining that piston rings and seals were shot. we had the motor pulled and rebuilt by a local shop here in chicago.

the guy responsible for the motor rebuild is pete sr of pete's auto clinic. if you're into camaros, you 1) might know him already or 2) should know him cause he has a black ttop 02 ss running low 9's....possibly high 8's now. just over 1000hp. so sick.

now the car is where it is. brand new motor, wheels, shocks, everything good and of driving condition...except the ac needs to be recharged seasonally and likes to overheat in traffic.

what is this vehicle worth ya think? anyone potentially interested? like I said, I am currently in a doctors office, but will come back to this thread and add photos later tonight.
Per board rules you must post an asking price (see feelers per sticky). Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 11-29-2011, 03:39 AM

sounds like a sweet ride , looking to buy around march or April 2012 when I get home from overseas duty so if you still have it or know where I can get a 92 z28, please let me know
Old 12-01-2011, 09:01 AM

Car: 1986 Black IROC
Engine: 305 Quadrajet
Transmission: 5 speed
Axle/Gears: 273

Originally Posted by 92 Formula
Per board rules you must post an asking price (see feelers per sticky). Good luck with whatever you decide.

I'll price it for him... I bet he's gonna ask around $2800.00 for it!!!!
Old 12-01-2011, 10:05 AM

Car: 1986 z/28
Engine: 5.0 carburated
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 2.73 gears

this car is easily worth $5000 as it is. i just sold an 88 fully restored for $10000 at carlisle, so 5g for this is about right.
Old 12-04-2011, 11:59 PM

geez. sorry for not ever getting back to anyone.

i thought i was "subscribed" to this thread, but i guess i wasn't or my email address is outdated or something.

thanks for the advice guys.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:13 AM

Re: Just Feeling it Out: Red 91 Z28 ($6k?)

now, here's the car since getting it running...like the exhaust. like i said, went somewhat cheap just to get the thing street legal for the time being. if i keep it, i'll one day get a gmmg cat back.

Old 12-05-2011, 12:13 AM

Old 12-05-2011, 12:20 AM

here's a video of that exhaust i had thrown on
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0O6eDddJQ9s
this video is still before motor rebuild...but after changing plugs, injectors, and all that main stuff i talked about in the original post.

here's another...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35OscMBgODw
this video was taken in like jan/february 2010. the motor was rebuilt in fall (october/november 2009), and it went straight into storage (as seen here), and started nearly 5 times a week until spring. this video was just another routine "start up" i did through the winter time while it wasn't on the road.

car lived it's life the last 2/3 years out in front of my house

drove it when it was nice, left it there on the street when it wasn't so nice. lot of rain got to it, but never snow. car is usually out and driving for about 6 months a year...

(and my pops would be rolling over in his grave if he found out that the mopar across the street in mine, too).
Old 11-23-2013, 04:00 PM

bump. so, put it in storage last year around this time. aside from a few starts/jumps here and there it hadn't hit the road (still have my city sticker and plate sticker on my bulletin board here at home). got the battery out and home to get it a proper charge. and give it a good 200 mile drive to get that old gas out and get the juices flowing before it sits another winter. definitely time to sell.

asking $6k. what do ya think?
Old 11-24-2013, 12:40 AM

Car: 1984 Camaro Berlinetta
Engine: 355
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: Australian 9 bolt 3.27 posi

That's a beautiful car man. Definitely worth 6k. Glws