Camaros for Sale Post your Camaro for Sale.

[NY] Gauging interest: 1988 IROC-Z28 V6

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 12:17 AM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 2003 Hyundai Tiburon GT
Engine: 2.7L V6
Transmission: 6-speed
Axle/Gears: 4.41
Gauging interest: 1988 IROC-Z28 V6

I'm about fed up with the MegaSquirt I have in my car. One moment it runs just fine. Shut it off, and come back an hour later, and it runs like crap. I'm thinking of selling the car because I don't have the time or money to sink into it any more. My father has recently passed away and I will no longer be able to use his car to get back and forth to work. If I can't get the IROC to run consistantly, I will need to find something that IS consistant.

1988 IROC-Z28
Originally Gunmetal Gray Metallic, currently some sort of metallic red. The overall paint job stinks. There aren't any dents or major damage, but there are scratches and peeling paint a plenty. And there is also some spots that weren't painted the metallic red and were left Bright Red. Emblems are Gold.
Couple rust holes that have been patched, one being in the passenger's rear wheel well behind the wheel, one under the recirc vent under the cowl, one by the brake booster. Driver's floor pan had been replaced by a PO before I got the car... I'd say the repair is about a 7/10. Lower radiator support has been replaced by the one out of my 87 Bird since one of the POs half-baked his repair. Couple of rust spots on the roof have been sanded out and painted over with Rust Oleum Automotive Primer, but not top coated.
Entire floor pan, inside and out, has been coated with DupliColor Bed Armor, along with wheel wells and any other part of the frame not covered by a body panel (and also under the fenders). Car was originally an L03 with a T-5 and a GU4 3.08 rear axle.

Clean title. I have some receipts for things like the crankshaft and flywheel machining and a few other parts.

For the good:

Powertrain:
ONLY running 3.1 LHO/3100 L82 hybrid V6 on the boards. Estimated 225 HP and 235 TQ at current configuration. Lower end rebuilt. Engine has all new gaskets and seals. Oil pan has been replaced. All engine hoses except upper radiator hose are stainless steel. Thermostat housing is a TCE billet aluminum housing. Radiator is new-ish, got to be about a year old on my 87 before that car was torn apart. Uses TPI dual snorkel intake in front of a Ford MAF (used for MSII fueling calculations). Intake has Green filters in it (off-brand of K&N).
Unfortunately, behind that is a NWC T-5 from an 85 Bird. Completely rebuilt and has a B&M short shifter on it.
GU6 3.42 rear axle, open differential.

Fuel system:
Carbureted fuel sending unit in fuel tank.
External fuel pump mounted in hump between rear seat pan and rear of floor pan under driver's seat, compatible with Bosch 044.
All fittings are 6AN aluminum blue and red with stainless braided hose except the red TCE fittings on the fuel rails.
External adjustable fuel pressure regulator.
22# Corvette fuel injectors mounted on engine.
All hard lines are stainless steel.

Exhaust:
PaceSetter 70-1206 2.8 headers with 2.25" collectors.
New O2S.
MagnaFlow 93441 3" catalytic converter for an L98. No hangers.
Walker 2.5" intermediate pipe with new hanger behind rear wheel.
Thrush Turbo 24201 glasspack muffler.
Flowmaster straight polished 2.5" tip.

Brakes:
Drum rear brakes have been completely rebuilt from the backing plates on out and have aluminum drums.
Front brakes are factory (except hoses which are a few years old). They have newer semi-metallic pads on them.
Driver's front brake has a stainless steel line. Lines connecting master cylinder to prop valve are stainless. Only other line not factory is the front-to-rear brake line which is a coated steel line. One problem with the hydraulics is that the bolt that holds the rear brake hose to the rear axle has broken and has yet to be drilled out and replaced.

Suspension:
Suspension fully rebuilt using new bolts from Spohn. Including sway bar end links.
New front ball joints.
ALL suspension bushings are polyurethane.
Rear LCAs and torque arm are from Founders' Performance.
36/26mm sway bars.
Wonder bar installed. Bolt-in Subframe Connectors installed.

Wheels:
American Racing 15" rims. Not sure the series as I was told once and promptly forgot, but they're an older 6-spoke set with dual 5 lug pattern. I have only seen ONE SET PLUS A COUPLE EXTRA RIMS on eBay in 10 years of looking. Missing ONE center cap. Also have a couple spare ARE rims. Tires currently mounted are Falken Ziex ZE-512 tires, but that may be changing as at least a couple need to be replaced (left front and right rear).

Body:
Currently has the hatch from my 87 on it with Bird spoiler and HMSL under spoiler (works).
New hood shocks bought from TDS a few months ago.
Rebuilt hatch pulldown assembly with TDS reinforced motor housing, new gear nut, and new nylon guides.
Hatch shocks older but still hold hatch just fine (just not with a 91-92 Z spoiler on it).
Hood blisters from a 91-92 Z installed, Bright Red.
GFX are in pretty good shape. Could definitely use a repaint, especially the chin spoiler.
HATCH DOES NOT HAVE A DEFOG GRID ON IT DUE TO BEING FROM ALABAMA.
Driver's side NON-GRID tail light has a crack in the brake light lens. No white light shines through, but the crack IS there. Neither tail light is a grid tail. Both have LEDs installed in the outer park light lenses.

Interior:
Main carpet is Russet and rear carpet is Charcoal (because someone couldn't tell them apart when picking them out of the junkyard before shipping them to me).
No rear seats or seat belts.
Front seats are the Medium Gray GTA-style seats out of my 87.
Front seat belts are Black and have had the seatbelt recall done with new buttons and metal clip guides.
Interior paneling was dark red with carpeting (except some panels which were Charcoal). Carpeting was removed and panels spray bombed black before carpeting reinstalled. Sail panels are dark red along with coat hooks.
Door panels are Medium Gray GTA Deluxe panels with remote driver's mirror controls, power windows, and power locks. Also have door pockets.
Dash is from a 1993 Camaro. Fully functional electronics, instruments, warning lights (except ABS, AIR BAG, LOW COOLANT). Also has fully functional 4th gen HVAC system. DOES NOT HAVE AIR CONDITIONING.
Console is from a 2002. Has a compartment in place of the 2nd gear start switch plate. Needs shift boot retaining ring and probably an armrest (which I would give about a 5/10).
Overhead console installed. The flashlight is missing along with the pocket. Both switches have been replaced as well. Map light retaining ring has broken and I haven't repaired it yet.
Black visors have been installed.
INTERIOR IS MISSING A HEADLINER. I have yet to find a decent one locally for a decent price. I have all of the trim that goes around it, however.

Additional parts:
Car has VATS. Currently uses a "key" that uses a resistor that plugs in near the ALDL under the dash.
Excalibur AL-1000E vehicle security system. Includes Echo 2-way pagers (2).
THERE ARE NO AUDIO SYSTEM PARTS IN THIS CAR OR INCLUDED. I was going to have pods made for mounting speakers in the doors where the pockets currently reside, but that hasn't come to fruition yet.
Battery is only 3 months old, a DuraLast Gold 75-DLG.

Currently has a MegaSquirt II Engine Control System in it. The MSII is adapted to the factory harness via a MS to GM 165 TPI adapter board with custom touches:
IAC control
Knock sensing
Ford MAF input AND GM 1 BAR MAP sensor input (does NOT use the MSII included Motorola MPX-4250 MAP sensor)
ECU-controlled radiator fan, currently set to turn on at 195* F.
MS also controls the Service Engine Soon light and has the capability to run a SHIFT light when setup properly (but isn't currently set up to do so).
Will also include tuning cable and Dell Latitude C610 laptop for tuning with new battery and car and wall adapters.

Don't lowball me on this one. I refuse to take less than $2000 as I have over $7000 in it, not including the purchase price for the body. I have over $400 in the MSII alone and you won't find one built as a drop-in for the 1227165 for less than $500. Only reason I'm considering selling is that I can't seem to get the MegaSquirt to want to run the engine the exact same way two run cycles in a row.

This car currently has tags on it, only about 2 months old. It hasn't yet been inspected due to running issues and possibly the tires.

I will consider:

Assistance with tuning in the Rochester, NY area
Trade for running/driving V6, MANUAL ONLY, prefer a T-top and/or Bird (preferably WITHOUT the usual dent in the fender in front of the passenger's front wheel)
Trade for 1988-96 Grand Prix 2-door, V6, preferably a manual trans car OR 2000-03 GP. I'd prefer an 88-96.

Last edited by Maverick H1L; 10-29-2013 at 12:40 AM.