Camaros for Sale Post your Camaro for Sale.

[IL] Clean 1991 Camaro Z28 Hard Top - Chicago, IL - $5K OBO

Old 11-25-2013, 03:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '91 Z28 - Red
Engine: 355 TPI
Clean 1991 Camaro Z28 Hard Top - Chicago, IL - $5K OBO

scroll through entire thread. there are 40+ photos since the creation of this thread.

posted this back in the day as a "feeler" thread...now i'm officially selling it because it went into storage in october 2012, and aside from a few starts here and there - it was sat there.

everything in the post that isn't bold was posted back in ovtober/december of 2012. everything in bold is an update as of may 2014. it sat since, and just got it out and back home may 2014.

~150,000 on odometer
hardtop
original 5.7 motor rebuilt in 2010. bored 30 over. block is bright red. easily less than 5000miles on said motor. honestly, it's probably less than 500 - i'm not even kidding. just now realized that it's been driven less than 50 times since the rebuild - usually an 8 mile roundtrip drive to work. the car has been started and idled for longer than it's been driven.
transmission is flawless...original? its an automatic, but I believe has a shift kit of some sort on there. shifts into 2nd and 3rd nice and hard.
new alternator in 09.
new injectors in 09.
new shocks and struts in 09.
paint is pretty much flawless as a whole, yet there is a nick in the hood, small dent on right fender behind headlight and a cracked front spoiler/ground effect thing on the passenger side/front. previous owner had it painted in ~95 and had about 80 pictures of the paintjob in progress, but have since lost them.
edelbrock headers that tie into 3" exhaust, split right before rear axle. they then enter a stupid cheapo wannabe flowmaster muffler (just had to make it street legal in regards to decibels). half of my peers like the sound, I just don't think its deep enough.
no cats.
msd ignition.
msd wires custom made to run straight back to firewall, then up to coil. (got sick of having ignition wires burnt to a crisp by running through headers)
2nd owner is myself/father. bought from a coworker of my father at felpro/federal mogul.
always garage stored 6months a year...only driven in summer (it did see rain and sun since getting it running as it was parked in front of my house when I had it out.)
ac functions, but I always had to recharge it every spring when taking it out of storage. already converted to 134a. in 2012, i never even bothered recharging it because i waited until later in summer to take her out of storage. also never charged it 2013 because I never even took it out.
newer battery (2010). just put a new one in may 2014.
interior is in good shape considering. no cracks on dash at all. rear seats look new. but there is a tear in drivers seat, and the leather on the steering wheel is a bit rough looking. otherwise excellent shape. headliner was dropping in 2011, so got that redid in a darker-than-original gray.
stock wheels with decent allseasons up front and really nice summersoft tires in back. both sets put on in (2012)
manual fan switch inside to keep right side efan on. no matter how hot it is outside, the car will NOT overheat if you're at least cruising 20+ mph. bumper to bumper traffic here in chicago is a whole new story...heats up quick...as in will overheat...that will need some addressing. cooling system seems to engage and disengage correctly...just overheats while sitting. (i have tried several thermostat temp options. but haven't tried the t-stat delete option yet) i believe the radiator in there is stock, so my guess it just needs an updated aftermarket 2 or 3 core radiator to keep up with the increased engine displacement from boring the motor.
extra full set of stock wheels included. this spare set is not in any of the pictures. it's a stock set, possibly with the hub/lug caps. they look funky because I tried to strip off the glossy finish in order to refinish. never completed that.
new power window motors in 2011. cheapos from ebay...so they already seem a bit sluggish (probably for lack of use actually). drivers power window switch works, but is upside down (haha...) and the passenger side window switch needs to be replaced...it works, but you really gotta mess with it. its a switch issue, not a motor issue. actually popped the passenger side switch out back in 2012. it's been sitting on my work bench in garage since then. either need to order a new one, and magyver the existing one like i told myself i would. chances are you're gonna want a new one anyways, and i already did half the work by removing the old one =)
keyless entry and alarm. extra key and fob included. real old system. probably installed in late 90's. arm/disarm works, that's it.
remote start was/is on there. since the new motor, not sure if it still functions. it does not. i think it can be made to though.
new headlights (2011).
all lights physically work, but the switch/lever in the left side of the steering column needs some addressing. right turn signal will sometimes work if held in correct position, and other times it just stays on when you fully engage (click) turn signal. high beam function (pull back) is kinda squirrely too. it will turn them on, but you really gotta pull back on it - as in, pull back to a point where you're worried you're about to rip it off. i'm in chicago - never need them.
not a leak anywhere on it. (WILL UPDATE ON THIS FACT IN SPRING 2014 ONCE I START IT AFTER SITTING SINCE APPROXIMATELY DEC 2012) it sits in storage 6months (sometimes 8) a year (it actually sat for a full year this season...hence me now selling), and there are never any puddles anywhere. radiator is still full, trans is full, everything. as for the update: after sitting for nearly 18 months - started it on memorial day 2014. everything was full. even the damn tires were at 30+ psi. brake fluid is a bit low, but there are no stains of the cement garage floor isn't been sitting in.
tinted rear window.
cd player (old and outdated...but since its aftermarket, replacement will be easy). as of may 2014, radio isn't working. i'm assuming that is just the fuse - from jump starting in the middle of winter.
new wiper arms, but if you drive in rain alot, I think you're going to want to replace the wiper motors.
once in a while (warm startups), the car doesn't wanna idle/fire correctly. throttle position sensor probably? had to change it more than once in the last several few years.
some wobblyness in front end. ties rods, or sway bar links, or some kind of wackiness. might even be ball joints. don't know.
title in hand

May 27 2014: i will bump this thread in the next day or so with interior photos. be sure to scroll through this whole thread, because i've photo dumped and answered a few questions since this originally posted a few years back.

long story short - it needs some work. 95% of it is done. if i had the time and reasrouces, i'd drop a newer aftermarket 2 or 3 core radiator, address the front end wobblyness, and get a better sounding, less raspy exhaust, and fix the a/c. i need super-duper a/c. i'm a big boy.

the story:
when I was in 7th grade, my father had purchased this vehicle for my mother in ~1997. the guy he bought it from was actually his supervisor in the product testing lab @ felpro. this same supervisor sold my dad his 76 stingray just several years prior to buying the z28. my dad was a gear head, and I was "in training". I was too young to know/care about the work we were doing to it every weekend. the camaro was kind of our weekend play car. it was always a project for my dad and I. he understood this tpi system well and she always purred.

in 04, he passed @ 49. he/we were in the middle of a couple projects. 1) customizing an oil cooler and 2) getting a solid exhaust put on it. it was mostly his project as I was now at university and in an internship...and maybe got to play with him once a month at best. the car sat, as it was when he passed until 2009. i got it towed to a local shop to put an exhaust on it (went with the "budget" exhaust cause I just wanted it street able. i get the oil lines hooked back up (sans cooler...again, just trying to get it on street). car was now running...and running bad. but the several years it spent sittingn a garage really beat it up mechanically (tires, shocks, struts, pulleys, etc. just stuff you don't want to sit). however, the body remained pristine under the roof of a garage.

in attempt to get it running well again, I slowly replaced parts (as outlined above). alternator, battery, injectors, ignition system, fuel system, etc, etc. even tried swapping the ecu in hopes of getting it to idle correctly. over the course of that year, I've tended to most/all major bolt on concerns/fixes. next step was going internal that was all above my head. took it to one of dads ex coworkers (who now runs his own shop) for a valve job. that eventually led to determining that piston rings and seals were shot. we had the motor pulled and rebuilt by a local shop here in chicago.

the guy responsible for the motor rebuild is pete sr of pete's auto clinic. if you're into camaros, you 1) might know him already or 2) should know him cause he has a black ttop 02 ss running low 9's....possibly high 8's now. just over 1000hp. so sick.

now the car is where it is. brand new motor, wheels, shocks, everything good and of driving condition...except the ac needs to be recharged seasonally and likes to overheat in traffic. and now the front end has some issues.

anyone potentially interested? derricksmash@gmail.com for fast reply.

these are the pictures of the car in storage, when i finally had the funds (barely) to get it back out on the streets. they kind of correlate to the story posted above: so in these pictures, the motor is dry, oil cooler half connected, just headers w/ no pipe beyond them. this is the absolute dirtiest the car has ever been. ever. also, all of that trans fluid on the shop floor is from the power steering rack and real trans seal of ANOTHER VEHICLE...not my camaro. the stingray that parks beside it leaks all winter. but you warm it up once, everything seals itself back up. weird.

SCROLL DOWN SEVERAL POSTS FOR MORE PHOTOS. LIMITED TO 8 APPARENTLY.

Last edited by derricksmash; 05-28-2014 at 10:33 PM.
Old 11-25-2013, 03:12 PM

Re: Clean Camaro Z28 Hard Top - Chicago, IL - $6K OBO

now, here's the car since getting it running...like the exhaust. like i said, went somewhat cheap just to get the thing street legal for the time being. if i keep it, i'll one day get a gmmg cat back.

]

Last edited by derricksmash; 05-28-2014 at 10:10 PM.
Old 11-25-2013, 03:12 PM

Re: Clean Camaro Z28 Hard Top - Chicago, IL - $6K OBO

Last edited by derricksmash; 05-28-2014 at 10:11 PM.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:25 PM

Car: 91 Camaro Z28
Engine: 5.7L with 150 shot of nitrous
Transmission: 700R4, corvette servo with 2600 B&M
Axle/Gears: 3:42
Re: Clean 1991 Camaro Z28 Hard Top - Chicago, IL - $6K OBO

do you still have the car for sale?
Old 01-05-2014, 09:34 PM

yes sir/ma'am. chicago winter is in full effect. so, its been in a garage since I made this post.

let me know if you're interested.

derricksmash at gmail
Old 01-15-2014, 05:40 PM

Car: 91 Camaro Z28
Engine: 5.7L with 150 shot of nitrous
Transmission: 700R4, corvette servo with 2600 B&M
Axle/Gears: 3:42

Derrick,
I messaged you a few weeks ago, but I know that the weather has been bad there and here. Do you have a number where you can be reached?
Old 01-16-2014, 09:57 AM

I remember messaging you back. derricksmash at gmail.com is my direct email. 773968286three is cell
Old 03-10-2014, 05:44 PM

bump =)
Old 03-11-2014, 04:26 AM

Car: 1969 RS Z28 X33 Norwood built
Engine: 383 Stroker
Transmission: T10 4 speed

Sorry about your dad man. The car looks really good. Keeping it in a garage really helped keep the paint nice. Hope it goes to a good home.
Old 03-11-2014, 04:30 AM

thanks mike. if you know anyone interested, shoot them my way. spring is coming soon. gonna get it out, take for oil change, and take a billion pics of the underside for selling purposes.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:38 PM

Car: 92 Z28
Engine: TPI 305
Transmission: T5

Tempting
Old 03-11-2014, 09:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Car: 1989 IROC-Z28
Engine: L98 - 350 TPI
Transmission: MD8 - 700R4
Axle/Gears: GH3/G80 - 2.77 POSI
Consider keeping it. Seriously. When you get older, you will wish you had.
Old 03-12-2014, 02:03 AM

keeping it: that's what I've been doing essentially. last year, I didn't even take it out! went over there to jump it, run it a while, pull battery, now battery is here at home. it got 0.0003 miles out on it on 2013... because I put it in gear and went back and forth a few times.

I would like to keep it. but it just sits. in another couple years of sitting, it will be back at square one... as in needing to redo everything I already did because it will all deteriorate. I'm in the city proper, so when I take it out, I need to drive to my storage garage and usually leave my daily vehicle at said storage garage. then I end up running my daily tasks in wicked Chicago traffic in a sweet car that, quoting above, "likes to overheat in traffic."

and it is super hard to get in and out of. I have a partially prosthetic right leg. lol. that doesn't help. I drive a pickup for getting in and out ease.

I want someone who wants this to have it. I'm gonna let it crap out otherwise. my dad fixed up and sold cars all the time. if anything, in just finishing the job. he rebuilt the motor on a stingray he bought my mother. it hadn't been driven or started since 2004. ten years. told her to sell it long ago, but for obvious reasons, she doesn't want to. she is happy with the car sitting there just for a reminder. anyone wanna but two pack of Chevy's? lol
Old 03-12-2014, 02:05 AM

snakey: you're pretty close to Chicago. just saying. =)
Old 03-12-2014, 02:59 PM

Car: Garage is empty

That thing looks awesome
Old 03-12-2014, 09:05 PM

Car: 92 Z28
Engine: TPI 305
Transmission: T5

That's why it's tempting! Red interior?
Old 03-13-2014, 02:17 AM

If you have room to keep it thats what I would do. I have been toying around with selling my car. I haven't had it long but I get bored of things fast. I listed it for sale and have been bombarded with all kinds of ridiculous offers. i have been offered Land, guns girlfriends and so on. I even had one guy ask if he could give me half now and half in a year. The point is I know I will regret it if I do sell it. I have had 4 other 3rd generation camaros. I have regretted selling all but one. My problem is that I had a 550hp car before this one and lets just say I miss the hp. I have decided to hang on to mine and you should too. These cars are getting really tough to find in decent shape. I NEVER see them around here anymore. The only ones I see have 22" wheels on them and are either purple or primer it seems. The answer to my problem is more garage space. Then again if I had a bigger garage I probably would end up divorced with no money. You have a really nice car (and Im not even a fan of red). I think you will miss it.
Old 03-13-2014, 02:22 AM

Plus you have a connection to your dad with this car. If you can KEEP IT!
Old 03-13-2014, 06:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Car: 1989 IROC-Z28
Engine: L98 - 350 TPI
Transmission: MD8 - 700R4
Axle/Gears: GH3/G80 - 2.77 POSI
Originally Posted by jrhaus76
Consider keeping it. Seriously. When you get older, you will wish you had.

Like I said, keep it. I'll store the damn thing for you in my garage.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:32 AM
Want a title? Post!

Car: 2014 Challenger R/T
Engine: 5.7 Hemi
Transmission: 6sp auto

i'm considering on buying it, still have to talk to wife about getting this toy
Old 05-27-2014, 11:43 PM

bump for update to original post. bold text is updated info between december 2012 and may 2014.

also, price is now $5k or best offer - down from $6. if i keep letting this car just sit, it's slowly gonna deteriorate, and i'll be back at square one - replacing little pieces that don't "sit" well - like brakes and stuff.

i have never felt like this before about any nonliving creature, and whenever i heard someone else say it, i assumed it was BS. I just want it to go to a good home - where someone will take care of her.

Last edited by derricksmash; 05-28-2014 at 12:02 AM.
Old 05-28-2014, 09:57 PM

Re: Clean 1991 Camaro Z28 Hard Top - Chicago, IL - $5K OBO

may 2014: interior photos. got it cleaned yesterday, but not the inside. it probably looks a bit nicer, but even in storage, the windows/doors are closed. so, this is probably as clean as it gets. and in dash - i didn't put any armor all or anything on there - well, since 2012 anyways.

Last edited by derricksmash; 05-28-2014 at 10:33 PM.
Old 05-28-2014, 09:58 PM

may 2014: interior photos continued

Last edited by derricksmash; 05-28-2014 at 10:34 PM.
Old 05-28-2014, 10:21 PM

may 2014: chassis photos.

Old 05-28-2014, 10:25 PM

may 2014: chassis photos continued