Camaros for Sale Post your Camaro for Sale.

[OH] '86 IROC-Z, 350tpi and t56

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 02:18 PM
Supreme Member

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
Car: basic third gens
Engine: that I like
Transmission: to restore
Axle/Gears: and enjoy
'86 IROC-Z, 350tpi and t56

Due to some unfortunate circumstances, I need to sell my pride and joy. I've had the car for the last 11 years and bought it in South Dakota. The car is originally from California and is still 100% rust free, even in all the nooks and crannies. Car was originally maroon, but was painted black at some point before I bought it, paint has gloss but is driver quality at best. I replaced the front bumper cover with a good one from another black car, so the paint doesn't match up front. I installed a set of wheels from an '89, and a front spoiler from a '92. Car has t-tops, only leak in very heavy rain. I have new seals for them. Very nice BFG Comp T/A's, but the fronts still need mounted. Windows are tinted fairly dark. The car also has subframe connectors welded on.

The interior is nice for it's age. It's a black Custom Cloth interior and has all the options. Of course, there's a tear in the driver's bolster and the tops of the back seat are starting to split. The dash pad is cracked and there's no headliner. Steering wheel has been recovered and the leather shift **** is nice too. Has an older Pioneer CD player with remote, I also changed the rear speakers but I don't recall what they were. Carpet is nice, along with all the plastic panels.

Engine is an older GM crate 350 short block, with Edelbrock Performer RPM aluminum heads. Mild Crane CumpuCam, two piece timing cover, Comp roller tip 1.6 rockers, Accell 24 lb injectors, and a bunch of Accell ignition components. Chrome Edelbrock headers, hollow converter (by the PO), and Edelbrock cat-back exhaust. PROM is a mail-order tune. Motor doesn't burn oil, there's no funny noises, and it goes like hell to boot. Extremely broad powerband and pulls hard.

The trans is a T56 six speed from a '96 Z28. Stock flywheel, Zoom clutch and pressure plate, factory type Hurst shifter. Trans works fantastic and has no issues. Factory aluminum drive shaft, original posi rear with 3.23 gears and disc brakes. Included but not installed, I have the PBR type rear disc setup (complete), and Lakewood lower control arms and adjustable track bar.

Oh, and the AC works great when it is charged. The pressure switch on the back of the compressor leaks and the AC is inop after a few months. Heat works well. And the hatch pull-down works well too.

Now for the big flaw. The car has an issue having to do with the MAF, there's an intermittent problem where it sets code 33 and the driveability goes to crap. I tried a few things to fix it, but I think a speed density conversion would be best (and simplest). And the speedo (a 145 mph unit) does not work since the trans swap.

All in all, the car is fun, comfortable and actually fairly economical to drive (with your foot out of it). I will be very sad to see it go, but somebody else will get a lot of enjoyment out of it. $4900 is my asking price, I'll be losing a lot. Located in central Ohio.

I don't have any recent pics at all, I'll update with new later on if it quits snowing here.

Oh I forgot, the antenna is bent and there's a small dent in the fender from an incident involving a dark night and a kitchen table sitting in the road. It's a shame because the antenna worked great. I have a new GM replacement (power).
Old 11-27-2013, 02:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: '86 IROC-Z, 350tpi and t56

Nice looking car. Sorry you have to part with it, but good luck with selling it.