Canadian Region Take off to the Great White North.

Help me/My introduction

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2016, 10:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 Camaro IROC Z/28
Help me/My introduction

TL;DR at bottom

Hey all!

I'm new to the Camaro scene.

I'm 19 and yesterday I purchased my first car.. which happens to be my dream car. A 1989 Camaro IROC Z/28

My cousin was there with me (Who is a red seal heavy duty mechanic) and he went over the car with me and everything, guy I bought it from is also a red seal heavy duty mechanic.

Now, the story with the car.. The guy (We'll call John) who had it was very good friends with the guy (We'll call Rob) I bought it from. John had it since he was in high school. Only one owner it's whole life. John had a brain aneurysm at 40 and sadly passed away leaving a wife and 4 kids behind. So, Rob said he would sell the car for his wife to get her and her kids some more cash. So, he checked the car all over, did little things to help it, etc.

He contacted me through a wanted add and I went and got it.

Now here I am, and I have looked into it more.. and my first issue is.. I've noticed the VIN is gone. Not sure where it is. I will check the trunk and look around because it came with a lot of mods and new parts that aren't on it yet.

My second issue.. I locked it, but the key isn't working and I can't get back in it. Yes, I have the 2 keys. One for ignition (Square) one to unlock (Oval/Round) and the oval/round one is not working. I'm not sure if it's just a sticky key or what it is, it's going around 1/2 - 3/4 in and just not going any further on both doors and I've tried wiggling it around and everything. I really want help with that as that leads me to my next issue...

I, being real dumb and all love lust about the car.. slept in it last night and now it's full of condensation and I can't get in there to fix it.

TL;DR

Car locked, Can't get round/oval key to work to get into car which has condensation everywhere because I slept in it. Missing VIN number.

Please help
Old 11-08-2016, 03:13 PM
Supreme Member

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am WS6
Engine: 383 stroker
Transmission: Dynamic Racing Reverse Manual 700r4
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt 3.45
Re: Help me/My introduction

have you tried unlocking the rear hatch?

as for the vin being missing, they're up in the driver side corner of the windshield, also will be on the inside of the door on a sticker. they're both gone?
Old 11-09-2016, 10:48 AM

Hey man, I actually figured the key out.. Never tried turning it upside down..

Also, is the sticker for VIN inside the door under the the plastic panels? or somewhere visible right away?
Old 11-09-2016, 11:17 AM
Supreme Member

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am WS6
Engine: 383 stroker
Transmission: Dynamic Racing Reverse Manual 700r4
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt 3.45

Originally Posted by GLav
Hey man, I actually figured the key out.. Never tried turning it upside down..

Also, is the sticker for VIN inside the door under the the plastic panels? or somewhere visible right away?
The sticker will be by the latch mechanism on the side of the door, nothing has to be removed to see it, you can't miss it
Old 11-11-2016, 02:29 AM

Just checked, it's there! First three characters are hard to see, but can make them out. Matches the insurance papers perfectly.
Old 11-11-2016, 06:12 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1987 IROC-Z
Engine: L98 5.7L
Transmission: MD8 700R4
Axle/Gears: G80 GW6 3.27:1

Congrats on the purchase!

Glad you got in and found the VIN.

I believe there should also be a sticker under the lid of the console that has the VIN and that sticker should also have a set of codes that detail how the car was built. For example "LB9" would indicate a 305 engine. If the VIN doesn't match what you found it could be a red flag or it could simply mean that a used lid was swapped in at some point.

This missing metal VIN tag on the dash is not good, it is illegal to tamper with this item and can be a sign of trouble. Hopefully it was a rust repair item that was removed with it being known not to touch these. You might want to ask the guy who helped sell it if he has access to the original owner's garage to look around his toolbox for the VIN plate. The VIN plate is attached with special rivets that are not supposed to be for sale I think so reattaching it with regular rivets might cause it to be hard to sell in the future.

Good luck with your new ride, I hope it works well for you. Post some pics!
Old 11-11-2016, 07:52 PM

The VIN on the door, SPID and on the rear hatch all match!

Turns out the area where the VIN is supposed to be is all rusted.. My cousin said the VIN is there, just really corroded. The only condensation left in the car is on the bottom of the driver side windshield and you can see the water under it in that corner. So, it's all good!

I will post pics later on for sure
Old 11-11-2016, 07:56 PM

Old 11-13-2016, 03:59 PM

Car: 1982 Trans am
Engine: 383
Transmission: AGE M22Z
Axle/Gears: Moser 9" 3.70 detroit locker